"American Express - Banking" - error FDP-102 (QMAC)

Scott Saylor
Scott Saylor Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since 2010, I have been using Quicken and the "AMERICAN EXPRESS FSB" financial institution to download transactions from American Express Savings to Quicken Mac.

Some time last week, the Quicken download for American Express Savings started failing. I disconnected the account and attempted to reconnect but the "AMERICAN EXPRESS FSB" FI was no longer available. IT HAD BEEN REMOVED BY QUICKEN.

Quicken Support (case #11139559) indicated America Express Savings customers now need to use either "AMERICAN EXPRESS" FI or "AMERICAN EXPRESS - BANKING" FI. Using either, I can enter my SAVINGS USER NAME/PASSSWORD, request a 2FA SMS code and enter the code but it generates a FDP-102 ERROR and starts over. Apparently, the script is supposed to take the user to an American Express page that access permissions are granted (approve Quicken access). But Savings users can't access this page.

Another fine job by Quicken transitioning to a new process…

Comments

• Bob Myers
    Bob Myers Member ✭✭✭

Having the same problem. I only have the Savings account at American Express. I using Chrome on Mac M1

• Scott Saylor

Hey Bob, me too! Thanks for mentioning that. The American Express personal savings login/authentication used to be a stand alone system but it was moved to/incorporated with card services about a year ago. Probably a SSO project to “enhance the user experience for customers with multiple AmEx products.” I survived that but when Quicken removed the “American Express FSB” financial institution last week, they pulled the rug out from under us. It broke Quicken connect transaction downloads.

I would be very interested to know if anybody an American Express card - and a Personal Savings account - can make this authentication work using the “American Express” or American Express- Banking” FI.

Oh, and don’t waste your time calling either American Express or Personal Savings Customer Service. They’ll tell you they don’t support transaction downloads of any type.
    Worthless!!

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

First, please take a moment to review this support article regarding error code FDP-102.

However, we will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Scott Saylor

The FDP-102 error is generic and is NOT THE PROBLEM it is only a symptom. I worked extensively with Support yesterday (case #11139559) and can generate FDP-390 and additional FDP-102 errors for other American Express FIs attempting to find one that would work with a Personal Savings account. I also submitted all data through HELP ⇒ REPORT A PROBLEM and many screenshots. Support has all the data they need.

The problem is that Quicken deleted the "AMERICAN EXPRESS FSB" Financial Institution - without ensuring one of the other American Express Financial Institutions available connects and downloads American Express Personal Savings transactions.

• john12
    john12 Member ✭✭

I have exactly the same problem with the "new" American Express connection. Everytime I try to set it up (including login + two factor) I get this error "Care Code: FDP-102". Of course it worked flawlessly until this forced migration.

• Scott Saylor

Yes. Quicken deleted the "AMERICAN EXPRESS FSB" financial institution that was used to download transactions for Personal Savings account customers - without having a working alternative FI.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭✭

OK. I understand. So … perhaps Quicken will add the link for the new "American Express Banking" soon. If that does happen, would we be able to set up the account under the new name and "link" old accounts?

• Scott Saylor

Doug - there is one but it does not work for savings customers.

• Scott Saylor

I had a thought - to try the other savings account user. No Joy. Same error.

• David Cook
    David Cook Member ✭✭

Same problem.

No matter what I do, I can't re-authorize my American Express savings account. I get error FDP-1202. Over and over.

I tried disconnecting the account, and then trying to re-connect it. Same outcome.

This is like all the hassle I had when KeyBank decided to discontinue Quicken Connect. In my well-over-a-decade using Quicken with numerous financial institutions, the interface between Quicken and the banks seems very fragile. I can't remember how many things went wrong over the years, but they all had to do with connecting to my bank(s).

• Michael Crandell
    Michael Crandell Member ✭✭

Same problem here.

• Scott Saylor
    edited June 30

I tried Web Connect this morning. NOT prompted for a 2FA SMS code and then…

• Scott Saylor

I tried American Express Banking this morning. I'm prompted for a 2FA SMS code, submit then…

• terrilackey
    terrilackey Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 30

Same problem as all of you. Can't access my savings account. And it is a crucial part of my Quicken data. I do have another American Express account, and it works. Go figure.

• Scott Saylor

So, you have a personal saving and credit card account? What FI are you using for the credit card account that is updating successfully? And to confirm, you're a Mac user right?

• Scott Saylor
    edited June 30

@Quicken Anja - has anyone given thought to possibly restoring the "American Express FSB" FI until the replacement "American Express Banking" FI is fully functional? It should never have been deleted without having a fully functional, working replacement available for all users (not just some who have both a savings and credit card account at American Express). There are far more customers with only a savings account.

• terrilackey
    terrilackey Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 30

Yes, to Scott S. I'm a Mac user. The Savings Account is mine, and the other account is my husband's. So I sign in through his name. It worked today. The savings account did not. I think I'm using regular American Express dot com.

• Scott Saylor

And using his account you can access your Personal Savings?

• terrilackey
    terrilackey Member ✭✭✭

Scott, No, I access his American Express credit card account. I cannot access my/our personal savings account.

• Scott Saylor

Reviewing the WIN and MAC discussions, it looks like Personal Savings Customers that also have an American Express card ARE ABLE to login and access both accounts using the Quicken AMERICAN EXPRESS FI. However, stand-alone Personal Savings customers (no American Express credit card) can not login using either FI - AMERICAN EXPRESS or AMERICAN EXPRESS BANKING. To me, this clearly indicates there is an issue with American Express' recent move to single sign on authentication.

Using the BANKING FI, after I enter my username and password, I'm prompted to receive a 2-factor authentication code by either SMS Text or eMail. I receive the code and submit successfully but rather than displaying the "electronic delivery authorization" page to authorize Quicken downloads, I get the FDP-102 error.

Using the AMERICAN EXPRESS FI, after I enter my username and password, I'm prompted to receive a 2-factor authentication code by either SMS Text or eMail. I receive the code and submit successfully and a message indicates the session will be routed to the Bank page to "authorize downloads" but this fails on the American Express page. see below

Can someone who has successfully logged in to their credit card account and been routed to the security web page that grants "electronic delivery authorization" post a screen shot of the web page (if you can get there again)? I would like to call American Express and show them what were looking for. 

FlagQuoteOff TopicUnhelpfulHelpful

• Scott Saylor

Reviewing the WIN and MAC discussions, it looks like Personal Savings Customers that also have an American Express card ARE ABLE to login and access both accounts using the Quicken AMERICAN EXPRESS FI. However, stand-alone Personal Savings customers (no American Express credit card) can not login using either FI - AMERICAN EXPRESS or AMERICAN EXPRESS BANKING. To me, this clearly indicates there is an issue with American Express' recent move to single sign on authentication.

Using the BANKING FI, after I enter my username and password, I'm prompted to receive a 2-factor authentication code by either SMS Text or eMail. I receive the code and submit successfully but rather than displaying the "electronic delivery authorization" page to authorize Quicken downloads, I get the FDP-102 error.

Can someone who has successfully logged in to their credit card account and been routed to the security web page that grants "electronic delivery authorization" provide ascreen shot of the web page (if you can get there again)? I would like to call American Express with the document in hand.

• Scott Saylor
    edited July 1

Just spoke with AmEx Tech Support - they no longer support Quicken Connct for Personal Savings accounts. Credit cards, yes. but not savings. You can do a QFX transaction download from the documents page. I just did one and it works as expected.

Guess we can put this one to bed…

• mvitulli
    mvitulli Member ✭✭

I have the same problem. It started when Quicken insisted I use American Express-Banking as my financial institution. I tried all kinds of things and can't download transactions. Will report the problem that Quicken created.

• mvitulli
    mvitulli Member ✭✭

Thanks Scott Saylor. I'm disappointed that American Express and Quicken can't come up with a better solution.

• mvitulli
    mvitulli Member ✭✭

BTW I have both an American Express credit card and an American Express Savings account. I can't add the savings account using American Express as my FI. It doesn't come up as a listed account. However when I sign into the website for the credit card I can access my savings account from that page. The sign in information is the same. I can download the transactions via QFX but this is a pain.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This issue has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Scott Saylor
    Does the American Express Savings site integrate Quicken?

At this time, American Express Savings does not allow sites like Quicken to log in on behalf of our customers. This protocol is in place to protect Savings customers’ personal information. Savings does allow you to download transactions so that you can import them into sites like Quicken by following these easy steps:

1. Log in to your American Express Savings account
    2. Select the "Documents" tab at the top of the page
    3. Click the "Download Transactions" link towards the top right of the page
    4. Select the account that you want to download
    5. Select the “Start Date”, “End Date” and “File Type” you wish to download
    6. Select 'Download'

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

Is anyone experiencing MFA issues with American Express? If so, American Express has confirmed that the repeated MFA is by design.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Scott Saylor

As a joint owner who takes care of our household finances, I do not have access to Statements, Tax forms, etc and can not see all transactions on the account (only mine). I just set up a Discover Online savings act and used the DISCOVER BANK Quicken Financial Institution and made a tansfer. If that goes well and Quicken updates the account appropriately, I'm closing AmEx Savings.

RIP AMEX…

This discussion has been closed.