American Express Banking not connecting - CC-502 (QWIN)

Comments

• pippy
    pippy Member ✭✭✭

I have just wasted a half hour trying to upload log files several times via the "Report a problem" in Quicken. Each time I receive an error from Quicken that it can't upload the information, with no further reason as to why. In addition Quicken does not let me go back and modify or delete a file to see if that's the issue, but rather closes the screen and I have to start all over again. I already received the message that one can only upload 10 files in total but have been well below that total since then. Is there somewhere I can email the files and screen shots? Thank you.

• Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭✭✭

support had me deselect the screenshot. That did it.

• pippy
    pippy Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Scott. I finally got the report to transmit. I had already unchecked the screen shot. It didn't like the I attached and edited versions of log files to remove extraneous info. When I let it upload the unedited files in their regular expected locations, the upload worked.

• Kevin 1732
    Kevin 1732 Unconfirmed ✭✭

I am having trouble "re-authorizing" my American Express Savings connection. When prompted by Quicken, I follow the steps and login to Amex Savings, I get a PIN from Amex, but after I enter the PIN, I get a CC-502 error message from Quicken. Re-Authorize does not work. But, same as above comment, I can log into Amex Savings via a web browser. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

It has now been 4 days since I received a notice that I had to 'Reauthorize' my American Express Savings account. I have tried many times during this period and always end up with the error message "American Express website is temporarily unavailable". As a result, I cannot download any transactions from AmEx Savings.

I'm really getting fed up with this nonsense. First, they had the excellent Direct Connect connection then switched to the crappy Web Express and now they are switching again to WE+ and they are screwing it up big time.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭✭

Ditto the two comments above. I'm having exactly the same issue. Tried to "re-authorize" numerous times without success. Then I "deactivated" my account and tried to set it up again. I have chosen "American Express Banking" to use for the account. Amex seems to recognize my login credentials and it sends me a code via text. When I enter the code, I get the CC502 error, and am told that it appears the Amex site is temporarily unavailable. I can log in to Amex online without issue. This seems to be a Quicken issue.

• tribbiani
    tribbiani Member ✭✭

The switch has been horrific, sounds like so many errors and problems cause by this. On my end, I have to MFA with every single OSU, and the account reports as "closed" and I have to re-connect it with every single OSU. Once I re-connect, everything is fine… until the next time.

• Jack Redwine
    Jack Redwine Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

same issue

• Scott Saylor

Are you a credit card holder as well? And a Windows user?

• Scott Saylor

tribbiani - Do you have a credit cars and savings account? And you're using Windws, right?

• niven
    niven Member ✭✭

same issue

• Papoon
    Papoon Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

My experience has been that when a problem like this lasts more than a day, and Quicken blames Intuit or American Express or…, then it eventually requires Quicken to get involved in fixing the problem, but first they try to convince themselves and us that it's not their fault. (BTW, my Quickbooks account is also unable to connect to American Express since about the same time and Quickbooks doesn't involve Quicken, so my bets are on Intuit and American Express.)

With that out of the way, the fact that we can all login to www.americanexpress.com doesn't really say anything about the underlying cause of this problem. Quicken and their data aggregator, Intuit, do not connect to that address. I don't know what address they do connect to, but it's probably some subdomain like network.americanexpress.com or partner.americanexpress.com or …

So we are still at the mercy of Quicken, Intuit, and American Express to fix the problem and hopefully they will soon abandon the finger pointing and RTFM nostrums they are currently dispensing and actually work together on a fix.

• iusdcm1
    iusdcm1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 1

As of this am, Quicken will not connect to American Express Bank at all, even with the code. Message says, "Sorry, we encountered an error, it's not your fault. Quicken is having trouble connecting to American Express Banking."

Please advise on what is going on. Thanks.

[Merged Post]

• marman
    marman Member ✭✭

I too am having issues with OSU to American Express - Banking. No error code is displayed, but this message is generated.

• Scott Saylor
    edited July 1

Reviewing the WIN and MAC discussions, it looks like Personal Savings Customers that also have an American Express card ARE ABLE to login and access both accounts using the Quicken AMERICAN EXPRESS FI. However, stand-alone Personal Savings customers (no American Express credit card) can not login using either FI - AMERICAN EXPRESS or AMERICAN EXPRESS BANKING. To me, this clearly indicates there is an issue with American Express' recent move to single sign on authentication.

Using the BANKING FI, after I enter my username and password, I'm prompted to receive a 2-factor authentication code by either SMS Text or eMail. I receive the code and submit successfully but rather than displaying the "electronic delivery authorization" page to authorize Quicken downloads, I get the FDP-102 error.

Using the AMERICAN EXPRESS FI, after I enter my username and password, I'm prompted to receive a 2-factor authentication code by either SMS Text or eMail. I receive the code and submit successfully and a message indicates the session will be routed to the Bank page to "authorize downloads" but this fails on the American Express page. see below

Can someone who has successfully logged in to their credit card account and been routed to the security web page that grants "electronic delivery authorization" post a screen shot of the web page (if you can get there again)? I would like to call American Express and show them what were looking for.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

I have both AmEx Credit Card and Savings Accounts. I have different user ids & passwords for each account. There are no problems with the credit card, only with the savings account. The savings account is requesting 'Reauthorization' the credit card is not. The connection method for the credit card is Web Express +. The savings account is Web Express, and they are trying to change it to Web Express + which is why the 'Reauthorization' request. It has now been 5 days. They have really F'd this up.

• Scott Saylor

Just spoke with AmEx Tech Support - they no longer support Quicken Connect for Personal Savings accounts. Credit cards, yes. but not savings. You can do a QFX transaction download from the documents page. I just did one and it works as expected.

Guess we can put this one to bed…

• Dickey
    Dickey Member ✭✭
    edited July 2

[Removed - Rant]

• Scott Saylor
    edited July 2

[Removed - Rant/Off Topic]

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2

Well I decided to try removing the connection since the "update" wasn't working (I have 2 AMEX Savings accounts, and I removed this from both). Then I downloaded a QFX file and received a prompt asking if I wanted to connect. I said yes and… same result. In fact, I can't even import QFX transactions unless I tell Quicken not to ask me to do this again.

So I continue to manually reconcile off the webpage info for the accounts, which sucks! [Removed - Speculation/Rant]

Quicken Anja - I sent in my report with log files the first day you guys requested them.

• iusdcm1
    iusdcm1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 1

At least for the last few days, the update for Amex Savings worked when getting the security code (which was cumbersome).

Now the update doesn't work at all and it's back to manual reconciliation. Very disappointing.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

As some others have said, this was working a few days ago and now doesn't seem to work. This is consistent with the comment above that they no longer support this. It is inconsistent, though, with the feedback I received a few days ago that they were working on upgrading from EWC to EWC+ to avoid the 2FA. Of course, we shall see.

I have moved the bulk of the funds in this account to a higher yield money market, so don't care all that much.

I saw another comment above about Citibank requiring 2FA. Mine never has and still does not.

• Papoon
    Papoon Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

@Scott Saylor I would take "Just spoke with AmEx Tech Support " as a data point, but not the last word. I have had similar problems with PenFed and Quicken multiple times over the years of using Quicken. Customer support there says, without apparent fear of contradiction, that they do not support direct download and never have — even though they do and have for years. So AmEx Tech Support saying 'it's not my problem' may be (and in my opinion likely is) just a ploy to close the case and keep their efficiency numbers up while being completely untethered from what's really going on.

• EWagner635
    EWagner635 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2

I'm affected by this too. I'll submit a problem report. BUT not before I express my dissatisfaction with Quicken. Every update causes a new issue. The quality of these updates leave much to be desired. I know no software is without bugs, but the fact that American Express connections aren't working is a big thing. [Removed - Speculation/Rant] Posting my error report now.

• MGB
    MGB Member ✭✭

Seems like its happening to everyone

• s0cks4sox
    s0cks4sox Member ✭✭

Seems Amex and Quicken have an issue again….just too often this happens. My solution is to cancel and close all my Amex accounts. Problem Gone.

• BrianV
    BrianV Member ✭✭

Day 5 of the same problem. Meanwhile even the manual download from AmEx Bank website didn't work quite correctly. When imported into Quicken it treated deductions as though they were deposits……

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This issue has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3

[Removed - Speculation/Disruptive/Sarcasm/Violation of Community Guidelines]

This discussion has been closed.