Deleting a security no longer owned

n2add
n2add Quicken Windows Subscription Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
edited August 3 in Investing (Windows)

A mutual fund I sold in 2016 is now showing up in my investment account Holdings list. I need to know how to get rid of it - program will not let me delete it.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't delete it without deleting ALL of the txn for that security. Just hide it instead.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Holdings view, how many shares does it say you have? If the holding is not zero shares, it will be included in the list.

One thing to try would be to make a backup of your data, then go to the final sale transaction and make sure Sell all shares is selected, not a specific number.

Please post back for more ideas if that does not solve the problem.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

After the security holdings issue is resolved, why not simply hide the security instead of deleting it? If the security is deleted it you will lose the historical data for that security and that could mess up your historical records for things such as Net Worth and Investments Performance. If the security is simply hidden then all of the historical records will remain intact and will be properly captured in the various reports.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Jim_Harman

@Boatnmaniac

Hiding a security only hides it from selection lists, not from the built-in reports or the Holdings view.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30

That's why the first part of my post said "After the security holdings issue is resolved…" hide it instead of deleting it.

Resolving the holdings issue will address the current issue because it will then no longer show up in the Holdings view.

Hiding it is simply a suggestion because it will keep that security from popping up as an available security when entering a new investment transaction. It is, perhaps, especially prudent to do if there is no plan to ever purchase that security again (which is my interpretation of what was posted). I do this all the time for things like matured Bonds, matured brokered CDs and Stocks, MFs and ETFs that no longer exist in the market because it helps to do some decluttering of Quicken.

And hiding the security is almost always a better option than deleting it. IMO, deleting things like old unused securities and old closed accounts is very often not a good idea because once it is done it is not recoverable. How many times have we heard of people who deleted one thing or another and later had expressed great remorse about doing that because of the adverse effects it had on their historical record?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Jim_Harman

Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood what you and @NotACPAwere recommending.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of matured bonds, and would like to hide them, as @Boatnmaniac mentioned. Is there an easy way to do this? Looks to me like you have to open a security list view along side a holdings view and then manually locate the matching names in the security list? That is, I couldn't find a context menu with a hide option when I needed it. Am I missing something?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

you can sort the security list by type. Eases the pick and choose process.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know that but still not a direct way. Maybe I expect too much.

When the spirit moves me I'll put in a suggestion.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

This discussion has been closed.