American Express Banking not connecting - CC-502 (QWIN)

Comments

• Mitch104
    Mitch104 Member ✭✭✭

Read through the entire thread, Amex has told others that they are NOT fixing this as they deem it a security risk. Some/many of us are going to move to another bank that doesn't have this issue (I am moving to Vanguard Cash Plus). Don't hold your breath for such an update from Quicken!

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

Amex has been saying for years that they don't support Quicken and we know that wasn't true. Before I change financial institutions I want to know for sure that AMEX will not allow Quicken to connect going forward but Quicken needs to come clean and be honest with their paying subscribers. If this is true what's going to prevent other financial institutions from following suit so it behooves Quicken to resolve this issue. I tried downloading the Quicken file from the AMEX website and it simply does not work so it's not an option.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited July 16

Hello All,

Is anyone experiencing Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) issues with American Express? If so, American Express has confirmed that the repeated MFA is by design.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

Jasmine what is an MFA? Will you be able to resolve this issue or is AMEX saying that they will no longer allow Quicken to connect?

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

Update: I tried this again today and it WORKED! For some reason, my accounts were showing up twice, and I while I linked one version of each to the right Quicken account, I neglected to choose "Do not add to Quicken" to the others, so I had 2 duplicate accounts with lots of transactions. I deleted them, which made One Step Update unhappy (it said there were deleted accounts), but hopefully this will go away next time 🤞🏻

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

@RX Lots of "it"s and "them"s above. What worked? Amex Savings with no 2FA? Amex Credit Card? BOTH on an OSU? Where were you seeing duplicate files?

Would be nice to know what problem you had, what tyou did to fix it and what were the results with a bit more specifics so I can follow along :) Thanks.

• Papoon
    Papoon Unconfirmed ✭✭✭

@JB20: MFA = Multi Factor Authentication. also frequently referred to as 2FA or Two Factor Authentication. With AmEx, it takes the form of a text message to your mobile phone or an email to your associated email account.

As for Quicken getting — or giving — a straight answer from AmEx, "You must not forget that you have been given worldly means to use and employ against human arrogance and wrong." Which is why I've let AmEx know they have 7-6-5 days to fix this.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

@JB20 you are being generous. I moved 2/3rds of my money today. Once Quicken said Amex intends to continue 2FA on every OSU I said tata.

I wonder if between us all reading the Amex threads here we represent a couple of million bucks? Maybe more. Would they notice that running away? Don't know either answer. But I hope they get the message.

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

actually I would be sort of ok if I could get it to work with two factor authentication but that doesn’t appear to be an option with my set up for some reason. It would be better than manual entries which is what I’m stuck with now.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

Today I wanted to manually download transactions from the AmEx Savings web site but couldn't find any way to do it. Am I missing something or is AmEx preventing manual downloads also?

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

I have a few questions for folks who are currently able to connect Quicken to their AMEX Savings account using 2 Factor Authentication

1. Are you using Quicken for Mac or Windows?
    2. Do you have just a savings account or do you also have an AMEX credit card?
    3. Which Financial Institution are you connection to (e.e. American Express vs American Express-Banking vs something else)?
    4. Which Web browser are you using?

I have Mac/Savings only/American Express-Banking/Safari and can't connect to AMEX even with 2 Factor Authentication

Thanks

• Mitch104
    Mitch104 Member ✭✭✭

You gave them an ultimatum? If they made this change for a security reason (a hokey reason as we know) they're not about to switch gears given companies like Amex have layers of bureaucracy to go through. Some of us are leaving Amex Banking like me, but there are many others on this thread who will end up sticking with Amex because they don't want to go through the trouble of switching. It's not enough to move the needle.

• Joseph Simanek
    Joseph Simanek Member ✭✭

Hello JB20, AMEX Savings account using 2 Factor Authentication works for me. I am using:

1. Quicken Classic Deluxe For Windows
    2. I have a savings account and credit card linked
    3. AMEX Savings is linked through American Express - Banking using Express Web Connect. AMEX credit card is linked through American Express using Express Web Connect
    4. Windows Edge

Hope this helps. Good luck!

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

Joseph thanks Im not sure why it isn't working for me. I will try to speak with Quicken Tech support.

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

@Bob, sorry, I've posted several times on this: what worked is a couple of AMEX Bank accounts connected. But it still isn't downloading, probably because of those dup accounts I mentioned (each of my Bank accounts appeared twice when I activated). The first time I neglected to click "Don't add to Quicken" so it created dup accounts in Quicken. I am now trying to "fix" this by deleting online access and reactivating ONLY with one of each account (Don't add to Quicken used for other occurrences) — though this time I am taking the second instance of each.

While the relinking worked again, QUicken is still upset about "deleted accounts". I may have to accept everything and then turn off updates for the dups before deleting them… not sure. Out of time for more experiments today.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

Are you sure that AMEX cards are using EWC? In my case, they’re using EWC+, requiring no 2FA. And AMEX bank is less secure EWC, and still requires 2FA.

For the rest. I am using Quicken Classic for Windows. I am using Firefox as a browser for AMEX access, but I’m not sure why that matters for the Quicken access issues since browser access seems orthogonal.

• Joseph Simanek
    Joseph Simanek Member ✭✭

brpqkn is correct. The AMEX cards link is using EWC+. Sorry about that JB20. My mistake. I missed the plus sign.

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭

My latest update. Quicken Classic Premier running Windows 10.

I was able to reauthorize my AMEX savings account (AMEX - Banking) and download transactions this morning. The account tab indicates that the connection is via EWC and required 2FA. However, I have a red circle with a diagonal line next to the account's name in the "Account List". Clicking on it brings up a popup stating that Quicken is unable to update account and that I need to click on it to add the account that I just added?

We'll see what happens next.

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭

Follow up. In the hope that this will help others.

I put time aside to continue to work this issue this morning. I clicked on the red circle and was directed to the AMEX site to add my already added account. Went through the 2FA process, but, never received a code. The process cleared the red circle, but, the account did not download and gave a 501 error. I then RESET my account and went through the 2FA process again. This time I did get a code entered it and Quicken started the download process. The process got to the "Updating your Account" popup and then stalled there for about 4 minutes. Finally, the process ended with the account working (no 501 error) using EWC and AMEX - Banking. Good luck.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Willing to bet you try it tomorrow and 2FA required again. Do let us know.

For me, solved. I moved the account and picked up almost another point in interest.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

Yes, of course this will require 2FA since it is using EWC and this typically does. I was not aware that this was still in question. We all know that 2FA is an intended requirement at this point. I believe @Jnic was posting about getting it to work at all as some are having issues. 2FA is expected.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Ahhh, I read your post as you thought that was now working without 2

FA. I caould not live with that every OSU or having to enble / disable AMEX -Banking in OSU when I wanted to check it.

Some think they are trying to get it to EWC+. Some think it shall remain EWC. I do not think anyone knows for sure. Including AMEX.

I did let them know why I closed the account. (Or to be more accurate, transferred most $$$ and will close Monday when monthly interest posts).

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

That I get. Since I don’t do anything with the account other than receiving interest, I can tolerate enabling and doing 2FA once a month. With that said, the account has about $17 😀

I keep it open just in case it becomes competitive, and they get EWC+. Or because I just haven’t gotten around to closing it.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

Bob, what bank did you move to? I have been looking for an online HY Savings Bank to move to that works with Quicken without finding any.

• JudyQ
    JudyQ Member ✭✭

I moved to Capital One 360 Performance Savings. Seems to work fine with Quicken (at least so far).

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

I moved to Fidelity. And its Direct Connect

• DOS
    DOS Member ✭✭

Joekivel, check out Discover Bank. Same interest as AMEX & I have no issues with Quicken, at least for now. Discover it card through Discover Bank has issues but Discover Card through Discover Card works fine. Discover it Card only downloads transactions after monthly closing date. I use my older Discover Card without any issues.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

Judy, Bob, and DOS, Thank You for the information. I will check each of them out. JUDY, what is the connection type to Cap One. Web Express + or Direct Connect.

• JudyQ
    JudyQ Member ✭✭

It looks like it's Express Web Connect+ (at least it is for me).

• JB20
    JB20 Member ✭✭

Where is the option to use Express Web Connect+ I don't see that in my version of Quicken?

This discussion has been closed.