Data file damage after installing the latest patch, unable to create backups, Validate required

UKR
UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

After having installed the latest patch, R 58.14, from a One Step Update prompt, I recorded a few new transactions into a new account register.

When closing down Quicken at the end of the day I received error messages "Unable to create backup" (or similar) and managed to close Quicken without new backups (both Automatic and Manual) having been created.

Next morning I started Quicken and, before doing anything else, I ran a regular Validate. The Data_log.txt file showed the following errors:

QDF:
Incorrect file size.
Validating your data.
Quicken repaired Capital One CD xxxx account. No action required.
Quicken found an invalid transaction record and removed it. "Capital One CD xxxx" 0/ 0/1900
Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

After Validate completed Quicken ran OK and, at the end of the day, it was able to create backups again, both a Manual and an Automatic Backup, as configured in Backup Settings ("every [1] time").

Reviewing the account register, I noticed that the Opening Balance transaction was missing.
Also missing was a Scheduled Reminder which I had entered to remind me of the CD's maturity date, 9/4/25.
I reentered both the OB transaction and the missing reminder.

Having seen similar discussions in the Community about data file damage after installing a software update I'm beginning to wonder if said damage occurs because Quicken does not properly close the data file before the task is terminated and starting the patch update process.

In a discussion with @Quicken Janean earlier this morning I mentioned this problem and I'm asking:
Can someone please pass this on to the programmers for research?
IMHO, it's extremely important to ensure that the Quicken data file is properly closed before terminating Quicken and starting the patch update process. To prevent data file damage all changes to the data file must be written back to disk including any updates to the internal file system and folder structure before one can terminate the Quicken task.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good reason to apply the manual patches rather than let QWin update itself.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• timjjws
    timjjws Member ✭✭

This (corrupt data file after an update) also just happened to me with the September update R58.14…

I installed the update, which automatically does a backup of the data file prior to starting. After the update finished and I ran Quicken it went into validate mode and then gave an error that the data file was corrupt! I restored the backup (that was taken by the update program) and it was also corrupt!

Since I've been burned before I DON'T ALLOW quicken to automatically install updates, I always do a manual backup before I do any update, so I restored that manual backup, and it opened just fine. I don't understand why the update program corrupted both files, but it did. I do hope your information gets to the right people.

I am using Quicken Deluxe and have been a user of their software since they bought the financial software company that I used previously. I see the copyright (in Help - About) dates back to 1983, so I have been a customer since the 80's or 90's. I like their software, but nothing is perfect.

• Hello @UKR,

Thank you for sharing and going into great detail regarding the issues.

Would you mind sending in your logs and letting me know once you have done so?

I appreciate it!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Hello @UKR,

Thanks! I will discuss this with my team on Tuesday and let you know the outcome!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

@timjjws Can you please upload your logs and let me know when you have done so? Thanks!

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.