Quicken Classic Freezes During One Step Update for Online Services

Snow
Snow Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

For the past couple months, Quicken Classic has been freezing during One Step Update, Updating your data..., Preferences. I've been making most of my transaction updates through Quicken Cloud/Mobile. I kept thinking the Quicken Classic desktop software would resolve it's issue with an update at some point, but it's still not working.

Since all my transaction changes have been done in the cloud/mobile version, how do I preserve that data? Most of the advise on this issue suggests disconnecting the cloud, but I would be loosing a significant amount of work if I can't get the cloud to sync.

I can't seem to get through to Quicken support since the only option is to call and the hours are not during a time I can do that. Can anyone help with this situation? Thank you.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @Snow,

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Snow

Thank you Jasmine. I did try both of those steps (Validate, then Super Validate), but am still having the same problem. It freezes anytime I try to sync with the cloud.

During the Validate and Super Validate steps, the only error that was reported in the logs was the following:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    ACCT_94

I can get into Quicken desktop and the program works fine as long as I don't do One Step Update or Sync to Quicken Cloud. My concern is that I've been doing updates on the Mobile/Web version (since it's so convenient to access when away from the computer) and I don't want to loose all the updates I've made there.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Snow,

When did this issue begin? After a recent update? To clarify, the freezing only occurs during a One Step Update? Do you experience it during individual account updates?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Snow

It freezes at the beginning of One Step Update, so it doesn't complete any account updates.

I believe it began sometime near the end of April 2024. I don't remember it specifically happening after an update.

• This content has been removed.
  • Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Snow,

Thank you for providing more information. Does this same issue occur when performing individual account updates as opposed to a One Step Update?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• This content has been removed.
  • Snow

I had not tried doing individual accounts before. I just tried and that seems to go through the One Step Update screen too, unless there is a different way I should be doing it.

If I deselected "Sync to Quicken Cloud" and only selected the financial institution where my accounts are. It freezes on "Waiting…" and freezes.

If I deselect the financial institution and only select "Sync to Quicken Cloud" it goes from "Waiting…" to "Processing data…" then freezes there.

Thanks for your help. Is there some other way I should test it?

• Snow

I ended up doing the process to Reset Cloud Data. It worked for a while but after making some changes to transactions through the web interface (cloud), I have the same problem where Quicken classic freezes on One Step update and won't sync.

I need this to work. Having the ability to review and update on phone and web is more important to me than having the desktop program. I'm considering other softwares. Is there an easy way to import my Quicken Classic data into Simplifi, so I could try that?

• Who_Cares
    Who_Cares Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I have been having the same problem since early 2024. I have reported it to Quicken through the software Help option and called the support line. On the phone I was told it was a "known issue with Windows 11". That's great that it's known, but that is not fixing the problem. I first started noticing issues in 2023, when the One Step Update, Sync to Cloud stopped working and the program was taking an extremely long time to load when I started it. I have to manually Sync now, and then Quicken has started locking up my PC. My only solution is to use Task Manager to kill the program or leave the compute for about 15 minutes until Quicken finally responds and frees up the PC. I have tried validating/super validating the file (no errors found), and I have un-install and reinstalled the program. Nothing fixes the issue. I have been using Quicken for about 30 years and never encountered anything like this before.

• astalvey
    astalvey Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited August 6

I am running Quicken Classic Business & Personal (Version R58.9, Build 27.1.58.9), and I just noticed (for the first time) the same problem with a "hang." In my case, the One Step Update process hung after updating only one account (only one was marked as "Complete," with the rest showing "Waiting…" My only option was to force Quicken down via the Windows Task Manager.

As recommended in the comments at

I did a "Validate and Repair File…" and the only issue was "Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it." Otherwise, it reported "No read errors" and "All internal consistency checks passed." I then shut down Quicken for over 30 seconds and ran a "Super validate file" option. The result was "No errors." I then shut down Quicken again for over 30 seconds and re-launched It.

In my case, the One Step Update did not hang this time, yet only three of my multiple accounts reached "Complete" status while the rest showed as "Waiting…" when the One Step Update panel closed itself. I ran One Step Update two more times with the same result, with only three accounts reaching "Complete."

So, I tried an individual "Update now" on several accounts that did not update during the One Step Update process. The Update panel closed each time while the account still showed as "Waiting…"

I then ran an "Update now" on the accounts the One Step Update DID update, and those accounts did reach "Complete" status before the One Step Update panel closed itself.

While the update no longer hangs, it's discouraging to see that it only updates a select few of my multiple accounts. The fact that it fails to complete the update of the remainder of my accounts without indicating a failure is a major issue. Undoubtedly, something is severely amiss with the One Step Update and the "Update now" process.

• James Gruber
    James Gruber Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Having same issue September 2, 2024 freezes when up date all accounts and individuals.

• Steven M
    Steven M Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited September 15

I am having the same issue was well. I have tried everything above to try get it working but nothing works. I can't update a single account without it freezing.

This is unacceptable, how can I pay for something that just doesn't work. I still can access my mobile/web but half of the features of missing from the desktop. I can't change my scheduled paychecks, I can't check reports I have made, etc..

This issue has been open since June and no resolution or work around from staff or support. I am just ranting now but if no contact, I am going to start looking for alternatives even if they aren't as feature rich like Quicken. First thing first, it has to work.

• McKomes
    McKomes Quicken Windows Subscription Member
    edited September 18

Same issue here. What is Quicken doing to resolve this? It's been happening for a few months. I've done all the above suggestions. It seems to happen when I've made changes in my app and then go to sync in my desktop, the desktop stalls. Please fix ASAP [Removed - Disruptive/Speculation]

• Steven M
    Steven M Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited September 21

An update. After fight with it and having another issue related to below. I deleted on my online datasets from a restore and then the syncing just started working again (From a suggestion from support). I don't know what changed or what fixed it, but the unreliability is still egging me. If something like this happens again, I might just move to [Removed - 3rd-Party Software] and do my own syncing.

• MamaGiraffe
    MamaGiraffe Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I did all of that and it's still behaving the same way. I can't actually enter anything on Quicken Mobile, I can only use it to view transactions. I have to do everything on the desktop copy while logged out on my mobile device, run the sync to cloud, then log back in on my mobile device so I can see the updates. It's tedious and completely antithetical to the purpose of having Quicken Mobile to begin with. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

• smythers00
    smythers00 Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Got One Step Update to work on my desktop by disabling Quicken Mobile and Web synch.

• LJ Olson
    LJ Olson Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited October 19

I've been unable to cloud sync or One Step Update since updating to Quicken Windows Classic Deluxe R59.10 Build 27.1.59.10. (qw.exe goes into "Not Responsive" status.) I tried several things, but it's what smythers00 had success with on 10/3/24 that helped. I too found that if the Mobile & Web Sync is off then One Step Update works. (Thanks for sharing your tip!) I wanted to affirm this occurrence and hope that it's a clue to help the Quicken developers who are trying to solve the overall problem.

• CRRen
    CRRen Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I think the recent update just before today turned on mobile sync. I have had this turned off for the past several years. Once I turned it off again, then one step update worked on all accounts.

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
  • DemonDeacon99
    DemonDeacon99 Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I've been experiencing the same exact issue (One Step Update freezes, requiring to kill Quicken via the task manager) and not the solutions have worked for me. I'm on R59.18, build 27.1.59.18. This started last week, probably after the most recent update. I'd like for the Quicken folks to provide an update as to when a fix will be available.

• aliceperryman2
    aliceperryman2 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I started this issue two days ago. I'm currently resetting my cloud data, but right now I only have one account that will download. All the others cause it to freeze and this is doing it one at a time or all together. I did validate and super validate and the text said that I had no problems. I'm hoping resetting the cloud data will help.My app wor