What do you want to know about using Quicken for Mac 2016?

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    CAN I RESTORE A BACKUP FROM QE2010 INTO QUICKEN FOR MAC 2016?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

For visibility

Please reference the new conversation here: Can I convert file from Quicken Essentials to Quicken for Mac 2016?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Where and how canI find this information
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Art, just click the link above "Can I convert..."
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I installed Quicken to my Mac book pro laptop but  can I  sync it to my iMac desk top?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

no reply as yet
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Art, you'll get better responses in the future if you start a new post rather than adding your questions to an unrelated topic like this.

To your question: I don't think there's any way to sync your data file on one Mac to another Mac. You'd have to move a copy of your data file between the two Macs, keeping track of which one has the current"live" file. (The recommended procedure for moving a Quicken data file is to use the Finder's File > Compress to create a .zip file, move that, and double click it on the other Mac to uncompress it.) do NOT use a cloud-based file sharing service like Dropbox to store your data file.
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

Why not Dropbox? Thanks
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Using any of the modern Quicken Mac versions with Dropbox is expressly not supported by Quicken. The problem is that the data file is actually not a single file, but a Mac "package", which is basically a wrapper for multiple files to make it look and behave like a single file. If the user file permissions get messed up in any way on any of those files within the package, which can happen if you use your data file on Dropbox, you can get hosed.

If you just want to be able to move your Quicken data file periodically to another Mac and back again (say you're taking a road trip and want it on your laptop while you're away), you can use Dropbox to pass the file back and forth -- if you take a simple precautionary step. The recommended procedure is to quit Quicken, and then in the Finder do File > Compress to create a .zip file. This puts the file in a Unix wrapper where file permissions can't be affected. Now you can upload it to Dropbox and download it on another computer, double-click on the .zip file to un-compress it on the other computer, and use it as normal with Quicken. Do the reverse to pass your file back to your original Mac. It's not as easy as just having the file live on Dropbox, but infinitely safer.
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've been doing backups to dropbox (also to TimeMachine). Where do I find the current file on my Mac in finder which I would use to move the file?  Sorry for my confusion!
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marla, Time Machine backups should be fine. Backups to Dropbox *might* be fine, but I'd still recommend taking the extra 10 seconds to Compress the file before copying to Dropbox.

You can find where your current file is in a few ways. Easiest perhaps is to launch Quicken, and then Command-click in the Quicken window's title bar on the little red Q icon or your filename. The dropdown will show you the path of folders where your file currently lives. (In most cases, if you haven't moved it, it will be in your User folder, in the Library > Application Support > Quicken 2016 folder. The Library folder is hidden by Apple, so to get to it in the Finder, hold the Option key and pull down the Go menu.) 

For everyone who wants to make manual copies of their backup file -- which I recommend -- I suggest moving your datafile from the obscure default location Quicken creates to somewhere you can easily access it (such as your Desktop folder, or a folder where you keep other documents). You can easily do this using the File > Move To... command in Quicken.
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

thank you so much for this detail.  I have managed to move my file to an easily accessible place.  Which will be helpful for moving between computers.  However, whenever I close out of Q2016, I do "save a backup" to dropbox.  Is there a better way to do this? If I had to restore, would that work?  
    Thanks again!!
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marla, I can't say definitively whether creating your backup directly to Dropbox will or won't work 100% of the time. The thing about backups is that when you actually need one, you really need to count on it working. So my recommendation is to take the extra few seconds to save the backup to your desktop, Compress it (File > Compress), and then copy the resulting .zip file to Dropbox. It might be that this extra step is unnecessary – but why take a chance that if you need a backup in the future to recover from some problem that it might not work?
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thank you!!  I will do this!
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

Have you heard that M2007 has been okay with Sierra?  I have seen Quicken's article about Sierra, but I'm wondering if you have heard of any problems once installing Sierra?  Until q2016 improves reporting, I need to keep q2007 active.  Thanks!
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marla, so far, there have been no reports I'm aware of on this site of Quicken 2007 not working under Sierra.
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

Great!! Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does the Quicken for Mac cash flow calendar now work the same as the Windows version?  I tried to convert over a year ago, but found the Mac calendar did not accurately show future daily balances base on scheduled bills/income.  I'd love to switch, but need the calendar to show correct values.
  • zwheeloc
    zwheeloc Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

Is there a fix coming for Scheduled Checks?  One-Time checks don't have this problem. Attempting to edit a scheduled check results in a false error of "You cannot print imported data" and the check information such as the address is locked and cannot be edited.   PLEASE FIX THIS SOON.  Since the error message isn't accurate I'm hoping it's just a simple program flag that is set wrong and can be fixed quickly.

From what I have found, marking them PAID then setting them to Print seems to work.  It is a kludge and I hope they implement scheduled checks like they did in the Windows version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Maria, I just upgraded to Sierra and Q2007 is working fine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    To All: I was reluctant to upgrade to QM2016 from Q2007 for Mac, but when my file got some corruption and I could no longer download directly from Schwab, I took the plunge and upgraded and so far I am quite happy with it. My only issue is the budget expenses breakdown into fixed and flexible and I hope Kathryn will provide a solution for that. Good luck
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Kathryn, Thank you for being available. In Quicken 2007 for Mac I was able to separate my budgeted expenses in fixed expenses and flexible expenses. How can I do that with QM16? I thought Tags might do it but cannot add Tags to categories. Thank you. Roberto
  • Marla Hewitt
    Marla Hewitt Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Roberto said:

Maria, I just upgraded to Sierra and Q2007 is working fine.

Thanks!  I just did it successfully!  Phew!
  • Malcom Allen
    Malcom Allen Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Is there a fix coming for Scheduled Checks?  One-Time checks don't have this problem. Attempting to edit a scheduled check results in a false error of "You cannot print imported data" and the check information such as the address is locked and cannot be edited.   PLEASE FIX THIS SOON.  Since the error message isn't accurate I'm hoping it's just a simple program flag that is set wrong and can be fixed quickly.

THANK YOU!   The Quicken support team wasn't helpful at all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

since updating quicken for mac 2016 to 3.5.1, register for checking account is not displayed in chronological order.  How can I correct this?

After I upgraded to Mac OS Sierra, my Quicken no longer works and a message " you can't use this version of Quicken Essentials" with this version of Mac OS pops up whenever I start the program.  If I upgrade to the New Quicken, can I recover my old datas?  Please help
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

since updating quicken for mac 2016 to 3.5.1, register for checking account is not displayed in chronological order.  How can I correct this?

Just ran into the same problem. Not a happy camper
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I loaded Quicken 2016 and cannot convert my Quicken Essential files even following the instructions.  Of course it says to open the Essential file and then close it which cannot be done because of Sierra.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Jun: Yes, if you decide to stay with Sierra and purchase Quicken 2016 (or later this month Quicken 2017), the new Quicken program will give you the option on startup to open an existing Essentials data file; it will convert it to the current format and you'll be up and running.

Craig: The problem is that Apple removed a core technology that Essentials was build on. If you want to continue using your Essentials without paying for a new version, you;d have to revert your computer to El Capitan or Yosemite from a backup. If you are committed to Sierra, your only option to continue with Quicken is to purchase a newer version. Essentials is a discontinued product which was replaced by Quicken 2015, Quicken 2016 and soon Quicken 2017. I know it's annoying to have to purchase an upgrade version if you were satisfied with what you could do in Essentials, but that's a price you have to pay to upgrade to Sierra.

Patubbs: If you purchased Quicken 2016, after the initial splash screen you should land on the "Let's Get Started" page. Select "Start from a Quicken Essentials file". Navigate to your Essentials data file an select it. Quicken then should make a copy of your file and proceed to convert it into a Quicken 2016 data file. Nowhere in this process should you need to launch Essentials (which we know won't launch under Essentials); do NOT double-click on your Essentials data file, because that will try (and fail) to launch Essentials. If you are dong this, exactly as I wrote, please write back with exactly what message you get after exactly which action.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I upgraded to quicken 2016. I didn't know that a quicken 2017 was about to come out. I probably would have waited.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Craig: Quicken offers a full refund within 60 days of purchase. So if you recently bought 2016, wait to see when 2017 goes on sale -- I think it's likely to be before the end of this month -- and then contact Quicken support. The worst case scenario is that you request a refund, and then purchase 2017. But hopefully they will cut out the extra steps and simply provide you 2017 for free. (They were doing that last year at this time when 2016 came out, but Quicken was part of Intuit last year, and now Quicken is an independent company -- so we don't know if any of the procedures have changed.)
This discussion has been closed.