What do you want to know about using Quicken for Mac 2016?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

since updating quicken for mac 2016 to 3.5.1, register for checking account is not displayed in chronological order.  How can I correct this?

Jacob. You are the best. Will do. Thanks
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Why can't I buy Quicken 2016  for Mac because  I live In Canada. Meanwhile after installing Sierra I lost access to all my accounting on Quicken essentials version 1,7,4
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Quicken is now sold only in the US. However, it works with *some* Canadian banks. You may be able to buy Quicken by providing a (fake) US address.

Otherwise, if you want to continue to use Essentials, you'll need to revert to a backup copy of your Mac to go back to El Capitan or Yosemite. It's been well-documented on this site that Essentials doesn't work on Sierra because Apple removed code from the operating system that Essentials required. Essentials is discontinued software for this and other reasons, and because Quicken 2016 (soon 2017) exists as a replacement.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    How do I create a rollover budget item in Quicken for Mac? The instructions online all seem to refer to the Windows version or an old version of Quicken. The manuals all refer to "tabs" and a "crossing arrow" icon that does not appear anywhere on the Mac version, or I'm looking in all the wrong places. 
    Tried this:
    1) Clicking on the "Budget" link in the action bar on the left, then trying to right-click or select from the menu to create a rollover category. 
    2) Displayed all accounts / transactions and then selected a category I wanted to create a rollover for. 
    Help...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

since updating quicken for mac 2016 to 3.5.1, register for checking account is not displayed in chronological order.  How can I correct this?

Thanks for trying to help; however it hasn't helped.  I get to the point after it says that my files will be updated. it flips past a screen and then it asks again for my password, after typing that in it seems to accept the password and then the circle twirls continuously (I left it on all night).  I cannot even open the Quicken2016 app because it wants me to register it and we go through the same screens once again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

I understand the above but despite setting my security in system preferences to allow the installation the downloaded Quicken for Mac 2016 will to install.  What can I do?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

This same thing is happening to me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

How did you get round it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Roberto said:

Kathryn, Thank you for being available. In Quicken 2007 for Mac I was able to separate my budgeted expenses in fixed expenses and flexible expenses. How can I do that with QM16? I thought Tags might do it but cannot add Tags to categories. Thank you. Roberto

Kathryn, when can I expect a comment on this issue? Thank you. Roberto
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Roberto said:

Kathryn, Thank you for being available. In Quicken 2007 for Mac I was able to separate my budgeted expenses in fixed expenses and flexible expenses. How can I do that with QM16? I thought Tags might do it but cannot add Tags to categories. Thank you. Roberto

Roberto: This is primarily a user-to user support forum. Although Kathryn can sometimes help with an answer from inside Quicken, if you have a direct support question, you would probably be better advised to contact Quicken Support. (Phone support, being US-based, is often better than chat support for complex issues.) and if the question is about a feature that doesn't currently exist in Quicken -- as I think is the case here -- know that none of the Quicken folks will comment or speculate on future features.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Like to see a tutorial on the process of setting up an auto loan and all associated accounts - e.g. asset for the actual car, liability account for the loan and the initial transactions of down payment, trade in, etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Roberto said:

Thank you Jacobs. I misunderstood the top message. I will use the feedback channel to highlight my request. I also want to thank you for being so involved and helpful.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Why can't I buy Quicken 2016  for Mac because  I live In Canada. Meanwhile after installing Sierra I lost access to all my accounting on Quicken essentials version 1,7,4

Unfortunately, QEM is not compatible with Sierra. Your only options are to either upgrade your QEM data file with QM2016 or to restore your Mac OS to a version that QEM can work on.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

How do I create a rollover budget item in Quicken for Mac? The instructions online all seem to refer to the Windows version or an old version of Quicken. The manuals all refer to "tabs" and a "crossing arrow" icon that does not appear anywhere on the Mac version, or I'm looking in all the wrong places. 
    Tried this:
    1) Clicking on the "Budget" link in the action bar on the left, then trying to right-click or select from the menu to create a rollover category. 
    2) Displayed all accounts / transactions and then selected a category I wanted to create a rollover for. 
    Help...

Unfortunately, the budget feature in QM2016 does not have rollover functionality at this time. You can always submit a request by creating an IDEA post, which the developers are supposed to get.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Like to see a tutorial on the process of setting up an auto loan and all associated accounts - e.g. asset for the actual car, liability account for the loan and the initial transactions of down payment, trade in, etc.

Please see this Quicken Mac FAQ: How to set up a mortgage/loan (in QM2015/2016) 
    which also includes a link to a video.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you would like to add your voice to features you would like to see added to Quicken for Mac, I highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d....

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related feature requests. Then click on each link you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page of THAT request in the list below to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Ron Baker said:

Does the Quicken for Mac cash flow calendar now work the same as the Windows version?  I tried to convert over a year ago, but found the Mac calendar did not accurately show future daily balances base on scheduled bills/income.  I'd love to switch, but need the calendar to show correct values.

Don't switch. I made the switch this year and am constantly frustrated. The differences are VERY diverse. This product is difficult to use and getting help online is futile. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Ron Baker said:

Does the Quicken for Mac cash flow calendar now work the same as the Windows version?  I tried to convert over a year ago, but found the Mac calendar did not accurately show future daily balances base on scheduled bills/income.  I'd love to switch, but need the calendar to show correct values.

Thank you for the feedback.  When I asked about the difference last year, the support people were condescending and ultimately didn't know the answer.  Obviously a case of two different development teams not talking, and the support team only educated on individual products.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi! I have been using Quicken for many years... my last version was WINDOWS (i beleive 2008) it used to work PERFECTLY and very important for me with multi currency ... few years ago I change to MAC but the version 2015 do not uses multi currency therefore I installed QUICKEN 2016 DELUXE for windows & run it on MAC with help of "PARALELL" app which enables my MAC to use windows programs, BUT THE PERFORMANCE AND FUNCTIONIG IS POOR AND VERY SLOW !!! My question is if with the new VERSION for MAC 2016 if it does support MULTICURRENCIES ??
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016

Hi! I have been using Quicken for many years... my last version was WINDOWS (i beleive 2008) it used to work PERFECTLY and very important for me with multi currency ... few years ago I change to MAC but the version 2015 do not uses multi currency therefore I installed QUICKEN 2016 DELUXE for windows & run it on MAC with help of "PARALELL" app which enables my MAC to use windows programs, BUT THE PERFORMANCE AND FUNCTIONIG IS POOR AND VERY SLOW !!! My question is if with the new VERSION for MAC 2016 if it does support MULTICURRENCIES ??

Alejandro, I'm sorry to report that Quicken 2016 and the just-released Quicken 2017 do not yet include additional support for multi-currencies. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can add your VOTE for the feature for True Multi-Currency Conversion Support, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-true-multi-currency-conversion-support-in-qu...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I have been using Quicken since 1995 and currently have the most recent update of Q2007 for Mac. I understand that you will soon stop supporting it and that a new MacOS may soon make it unusable. But my entire financial history lives in this app and I want to know what to expect when I update to 2016 (or 2017):

Will the new version transfer my current data file without losing any of my historical info - accounts, transactions, categories, classes, securities, report customizations, etc? If not, what problems can I expect and are they solvable? Please tell me now - I hate surprises.

What will I immediately have to know about doing any things differently?

If I get 2016, will the imminent upgrade to 2017 be free? If you were me, would you wait for 2017?

Is there a printed manual as in the old days? Online tutorial for upgrading?

Thank you.

I just updated my MacBook Pro to mac OSSierra version 10.12.  My version of Quicken Essentials does not work.  I need help.  Will Quicken 2016 for MAC work with mac OSSierra version 10.12????  Help!!!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I have been using Quicken since 1995 and currently have the most recent update of Q2007 for Mac. I understand that you will soon stop supporting it and that a new MacOS may soon make it unusable. But my entire financial history lives in this app and I want to know what to expect when I update to 2016 (or 2017):

Will the new version transfer my current data file without losing any of my historical info - accounts, transactions, categories, classes, securities, report customizations, etc? If not, what problems can I expect and are they solvable? Please tell me now - I hate surprises.

What will I immediately have to know about doing any things differently?

If I get 2016, will the imminent upgrade to 2017 be free? If you were me, would you wait for 2017?

Is there a printed manual as in the old days? Online tutorial for upgrading?

Thank you.

This question has been answered multiple times on this forum. QEM is not compatible with Sierra (10.12). Your 2 choices are to restore your Mac OS to a compatible version OR upgrade to QM2017 (the current shipping version). Yes QM2016 and even QM2015 will work on Sierra.

• John Thorne
    John Thorne Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I added a new checking account at my local bank and now neither of them appear in Quicken 2016.  What should I do?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Roberto said:

jacobs i have quicken 2016 essentials for mac. it worked fine untill around 12/4/15. since that point it will not download info from any of my banking accounts (6 accounts with credit cards). do you have any idea what might be going on? thanks richard
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Roberto said:

Richard, do you have Quicken Essentials or Quicken 2016? They're two different products. If you have Quicken Essentials, it will no longer download from banks because it is a discontinued product. If you have Wuicken 2016, it sounds like something is wrong in your setup; if so, please start a New Post (at the top of the page) and provide as many specifics as you can: the version of Quicken you are using (check About Quicken under the Quicken menu), the names of the financial institutions, and what exactly happens when you try to download transactions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Roberto said:

@Richard, if you have QM2016, what specific version do you have? Make sure you have the latest which is v3.5.3.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

You guys need a separate help section for mac. Any time I search the content shows features and references to menus that don't exist! 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

You guys need a separate help section for mac. Any time I search the content shows features and references to menus that don't exist! 

For help with QM2017, you can start here: https://www.quicken.com/support#osx

If that is not enough, this may help too (material written for QM2016). Check out the following: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-faq-where-to-find-a-help-guide-f...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Just updated Quicken 2016 for Mac to version 3.5.3.  It crashed while downloading transactions and now will not open at all.  I have had to Force Quit 3 times as all I get is the beachball--no screen, no register, nothing.  How do I get the program to run?
This discussion has been closed.