Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.1 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

@dkeninitz1: With so many years in your database and coming from windows quicken (and sense I feel sure there are no amount errors in your database) do you have any transactions that you know are reconciled but don't have the green circle around the cleared column? That is maybe have been just marked cleared but not reconciled. The new reconcile method would go back and pickup those transactions if so. This can also be seen in the second reconcile window as you would see some transactions to be reconciled that already have been reconciled.

Also, have you looked into the "start fresh" option of reconciling to possibly get your accounts reconciled they way they need to be.

imageimage

Now I agree with that.. Quicken program should get the online balance from the FI. All I can say is mine has always agreed with FI (I am setup direct connect). How is this account setup to connect, Direct Connect or Quicken Connect? And, what does Quickbooks have to do with your quicken data?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

@dkeninitz1: With so many years in your database and coming from windows quicken (and sense I feel sure there are no amount errors in your database) do you have any transactions that you know are reconciled but don't have the green circle around the cleared column? That is maybe have been just marked cleared but not reconciled. The new reconcile method would go back and pickup those transactions if so. This can also be seen in the second reconcile window as you would see some transactions to be reconciled that already have been reconciled.

Also, have you looked into the "start fresh" option of reconciling to possibly get your accounts reconciled they way they need to be.

imageimage

Mine is, and has long been, set up for Direct Connect. Look, it's simple (or should be).  The only thing Quicken can "know" of its own accord are 1) the current register balance, and 2) transactions in the register not marked as reconciled.  That's the only reconciliation information INTERNAL to Quicken.  To reconcile it should: accept the balance reported by the FI as the "online balance", present the current register balance, and list transactions not marked as reconciled.  With respect to the first, Quicken has been reporting the $39K figure as my online balance forever; it never changes.  Frankly, the user should also have the option of entering the "online" balance himself (as with any other decent accounting program).  It shouldn't be up to Quicken to restrict the user on this, nor should Quicken require you to accept a "plug" figure (which is verboten to accountants).

No matter, I tricked the program yesterday and now all my transactions that have cleared my bank are properly marked reconciled, and I have a zero difference when I reconcile (which I did again early this morning).  QuickBooks - another Intuit product - is also chock full of these "we know what's best for you" limitations.  Again, I wish Microsoft would bring back Money, which I found to be a superior product when it was in service.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

So, how did you trick the program? It might be helpful to someone else.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Bob, I thought about doing it but was a bit nervous because even though it's dead simple I'm worried someone else might get it wrong and mess up their file. Also, Intuit could always alter the next release to somehow prevent it.  I'd been planning to do it for some time, but thought I'd wait and see if anyone (Intuit, are you listening?  Not likely) had an approved fix.

But for what it's worth, I opened the reconciliation window, wrote down the amount of the plug and made a register entry for the amount but in the offsetting direction (negative), and marked it cleared.  Then I opened the reconciliation window again and accepted the plug (which for twice the amount it originally wanted to use).  My register was overstated by $29K but both entries - mine and the plug were marked as reconciled.  I then deleted both, ignoring the "you're about to delete a reconciled transaction" warning.  Now my register balance was correct.  I reopened the reconciliation window and it showed both the correct online (bank balance) and the correct register balance and didn't propose an entry.  This morning I did my usual online bank update and then went to reconcile again, all still well.  I probably could have skipped the first step, but I was experimenting to see if it would simply let me offset the plug it was going to insist on with a negative transaction entered in advance.  It didn't, so I had to do two more steps.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Thank you for figuring out something that may work for the Mac Quicken 2016.  I've been afraid to try that, but may give it a try now it's worked for someone.  But what a sham that we're fixing a broken reconcilation process.  

The comment from someone about starting a NEW data file each few years is such a drag, but I think I'll have to do it.  It used to be you could open a new year with unreconciled items with a simple click.  Worse, I did try to pull up an old data file (Quicken from 2013) and now it couldn't be opened by the Quicken 2016--and of course, the old Quicken Mac 2007 won't work on the new machines.  So much for a back-up.  I am so frustrated with Quicken, I'd chose to use anything else if possible.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

A small point, but Quicken 2007 runs fine on my MacBook Air running El Capitan. (I'm running side by side with Q2016 3.5.1 as I'm trying to learn the new program. So far... a few glitches, and  I'm not ready to move over to Q2016, but I'm learning.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

FYI, Inuit is no longer associated with "Quicken" products it was sold.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Who bought it?
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

I put this in a previous post in this thread ...

https://www.quicken.com/about-us/press/quicken-completes-acquisition-hig-capital-and-outlines-vision
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

I too am still using QM2007 v16.2.4 on an iMac 27"5K with El C. v10.11.6.  Running parallel with QM2016 v3.5.2 till all bugs are smashed and it can be trusted.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

I don't understand, If your experience with the online auto reconciliation is not working as it should, you do have the option of doing a manual statement reconciliation where you can input the correct ending balance per the FI yourself instead of adding more problems to the mix by fudging the figures and creating false entries that just doesn't have any integrity accounting wise  only to confuse what the real issues are from a programming perspective so they can fix the problem.   An accountant should be able to do a manual reconciliation with their eyes closed and balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Those interested, you can read about the acquisition of Quicken here.
    www.quicken.com/about-us/press/quicken-completes-acquisition-hig-capital-and-outlines-vision  It actually states good news where MAC users are concerned.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Sorry Bob didn't see you had a link already but it doesn't hurt anything to post again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Bob Soule, your dialog with Don Keninitz still contains verbiage of Intuit as responsible for the issues he's having.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

@102_dar_70. No I was not saying Quicken Code was responsible. in fact my experience could not be better with the new reconciliation process (with either online or Statement ). I did agree if Quicken was not getting the online balance from the FI, which I still think it does, where as Don view is that Quicken computes it, Quicken should get it from the FI. For me the online balance has always agreed with what I see from my FI's web site. 
    Also, I wanted to see Don's latest work around to understand how it could change the online balance (which seemed to be where his issue was). Still don't understand how it could change the online balance.

However, that said I am glad Don was able to figure out something that worked for him.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Also, in this thread of comments/replies was the mention of QuickBooks.  The Mint, QuickBooks, and TurboTax products were retained by Intuit after divestiture of the Quicken products and business and their acquisition by H.I.G Capital.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

At 102_dar-70, lol, yes, you should have that option.  And I did have it until 3.5.1 was issued.  And if you up-thread you'll see where I said I MANUALLY reconcile the account once a month using my bank statement, my register and an Excel spreadsheet.  But if you want your reconciled transactions marked as reconciled, you have to use Quicken's built-in reconciliation feature, and it automatically "determines" your online balance regardless of what your bank says it is.

Thanks for the snarky non-advice advice.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

@Bob Soule, for the record, I provided a screen shot of Quicken's version of my online balance, the same exact same figure it's been reporting for well over a year.  The difference is that before 3.5.1 I could replace it with my own figure manually in the reconciliation screen, taken directly from my bank each day (or as frequently as I went online to look it up).  Quicken WAS NOT accepting or pulling -whichever it was - my online figure from my bank since that changes hourly.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Don are you saying on your first reconciliation screen you don't have two options, online or statement? Like the attached.image
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

Don, I appreciate your having a problem and people here are trying to understand and help you but frankly your postings are confusing as noted by the latest response given how and how much of this thread is all about you. Maybe you should contact Quicken's technical support where they can remotely connect to your PC and see up close what your particular issues are.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

One last comment related to the above. Don the original source of your balance issue goes all the way back to when you first imported your data into Mac 2016 that was never corrected or fixed properly and you have been avoiding it by doing a work around and now it has come back to haunt you in 3.5.1 where they revised the reconciliation procedures and it isn't allowing you to manipulate now.  You need to go back to where the original problem started and fix it or you will always continue to have problems. 
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

At this point in the discussion, I'm totally confused regarding the problem that needs to be addressed.

What are we doing when we reconcile an account?  We are trying to prove or confirm that the account balance in our records--a check register or a Quicken transaction register--is accurate and consistent with the Ending Balance reported in a financial institution's statement or the current online balance reported on the financial institution's web site.

To use the financial institution's online balance in Quicken, the account must be configured for downloading transactions from the financial institution.  Also, I assume, you must download the latest transactions from the financial institution in order for Quicken to obtain the latest online account balance.

One flaw with the Reconcile process is that it, by default, displays and select using the online balance for reconciliation without regard to whether the account is configured for downloading transactions.

When using the online balance method, the financial institution's online balance plus the sum of all "outstanding", "pending", or "uncleared" transactions should be equal to the current balance in the Quicken transaction register.

When using a paper statement, reconciliation is slightly more complicated.  The sum of all "outstanding", "pending", or "uncleared" transactions that occurred before the statement's Ending Date must be added to the Ending Balance.  To this amount, all transactions recorded in the Quicken transaction register after the Ending Date must be added to validate that the Quicken balance is correct.

During portions of this discussion, it seemed that we were attempting to reconcile the financial institution's balance instead of the Quicken transaction register balance.  In addition, it seemed as if the online balance method was being used without performing an online update of transactions.  Without an online update, Quicken will never receive the latest balance that is recorded in the OFX file generated by the financial institution.

Just color me confused!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

"What are we doing when we reconcile an account?  We are trying to prove or confirm that the account balance in our records--a check register or a Quicken transaction register--is accurate and consistent with the Ending Balance reported in a financial institution's statement or the current online balance reported on the financial institution's web site."

Yes, exactly, but as I've noted repeatedly in my posts, the Ending Balance being reported by Quicken as my FI online statement balance is not the actual FI balance.  It's an artificial and grossly inflated balance that remains unchanged over days, weeks months.

As I also noted above, I already tricked the program and fixed it myself.  I appreciate people's efforts to help, but it's frustrating because some simply can't seem to get that Quicken was reporting its own notion of my FI online balance - and unchanging grossly inflated figure - over a long period of time, without my ability to intervene after the 3.5.1 update (I could before that) and substitute the correct number as I knew it to be at any given time
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

At dar, no not true, but I'm tired of stating over and over and over that there are no errors in my account (based on the extensive verification work I did at the time of conversion and since then as part of my regular routines for making sure all of my accounts reflect accurate balances supported by FI statements or other external support).  I fixed the problem permanently by tricking the program.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

imageimage

"Don, I appreciate your having a problem and people here are trying to understand and help you but frankly your postings are confusing as noted by the latest response given how and how much of this thread is all about you. Maybe you should contact Quicken's technical support where they can remotely connect to your PC and see up close what your particular issues are.'

No need to, I've already tricked the  program into a fix, and after using Quicken for 20 years except for a brief hiatus with Money when it was available, I've never had any success with Quicken "support" and don't need it now.  I only came here to see if others have encountered the same problem (they have) and whether Quicken had provided them a direct fix (they haven't).  Signing off now, thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My question is about why Q2016 3.5.1 won’t display the correct account balance after a buy and sell of different Vanguard Funds in a 529. Q2007 gets it right. (I’m running Q2007 and Q2016 side-by-side while I learn the new version.)

Vanguard 529’s have age-dependent funds. As a grandchild gets older, Vanguard sells the younger-age fund and buys an older-age fund. I entered the Buy and Sell in Q2007 and everything is fine. In Q2016 entering the Buy and Sell shows correctly in the transaction window, but the Sell is not shown in the Portfolio window. So Q2016 shows double the correct balance.

What am I missing here?

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RooneyR said:

My question is about why Q2016 3.5.1 won’t display the correct account balance after a buy and sell of different Vanguard Funds in a 529. Q2007 gets it right. (I’m running Q2007 and Q2016 side-by-side while I learn the new version.)

Vanguard 529’s have age-dependent funds. As a grandchild gets older, Vanguard sells the younger-age fund and buys an older-age fund. I entered the Buy and Sell in Q2007 and everything is fine. In Q2016 entering the Buy and Sell shows correctly in the transaction window, but the Sell is not shown in the Portfolio window. So Q2016 shows double the correct balance.

What am I missing here?

The Sell won't show up in the portfolio view since it was sold.  The portfolio view only shows current holdings unless you're looking at the Realized Gain view which obviously does show the sells.  What does your cash balance say?  Since this is a 529 are you adding transfers to offset the buys?  If you don't want to hassle with this, change your Buys to Add Shares.  Add Shares add the shares to the account without impacting the balance.  This is what I typically do if I'm manually entering in the transactions.  Is your share count double?  If this is the case then double check the transactions to make sure they are correct.  Also make sure you are picking the exact same stock symbol for both.  Possibly the software doesn't realize you've sold shares of a current equity.  I'm assuming you're manually entering this stuff.  There are a host of other things to investigate if its an online account.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Mac update 3.5.1 would not open my data file, but I think I learned ....

Updated in Quicken 2016 Mac to Aug. 2, 2016 version 3.5.1, but it wouldn't open my data file, opened the New Get Started With Quicken window, which was hung, had to Force Quit from several tries.
    BUT think I found the answer after hours of searching:
    This for Windows version but it is likely the same for Mac, from: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-if-quicken-cant-open-my-data-file-when-converting-my-data-previ...
    "Make sure that your most recent data file is in the Quicken folder. If

your most recent data file is someplace else (for example, in the

Quicken/BACKUP folder), Quicken may display the Get Started with Quicken

dialog
    so you can identify the data file you want to use. To keep the

Get Started with Quicken dialog from appearing again, copy your most recent data file into the Quicken folder and open it from there."
    All my data files, even pictures, etc., for safety are on a big external RAID drive- I don't even have a Documents folder on my startup drive. I am not at home where that computer is, but I'll bet when I make a folder named Quicken holding my Quicken 2016 application, and copy my data file to it, it will open!! If not I'll try putting the data file in an Application Support folder.
    I'm pretty sure once I get it going that way, I can again move and use the data file on my external RAID.
    Hope this suggestion helps some of you with same problem.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I'm blaming customers.  I just wanted to make sure people understood that we have not been able to find a problem in the new reconcile to fix yet.  If we did find one we would gladly fix it.  There may still be an issue but we just haven't found a case where there was a valid bug after a month of beta testing with hundreds of customers and working with a number of people walking through the process.  The math we do to figure out the opening balance is very simple. Just add the Clr column to your account and then click on the header to group all of the reconciled transactions together.  Look at the balance for the last reconciled transaction and this is the opening balance we're using.  If this number doesn't match your statement's opening balance then export to a csv file and drop into Excel and see if Excel gets the same number.  This would be a good place to start.  If Excel gets a different number than Quicken, then Quicken has a math bug and reply to this blog to let us know so we can fix it.  If the numbers are the same then there must be a transaction in the reconciled group that has the wrong number or is erroneously marked reconciled.  One of our developers ran into this issue where she reconciled and the numbers were off.  She went through her statements and went back in time and discovered 3 to 4 years ago she had a duplicate transaction for the value she was off.  She deleted that transaction and then everything worked.  This is what we're finding.  3.4.1 didn't take into account old reconciled transactions so if you had a duplicate transaction or a bad value in your reconciled transactions, 3.4.1 reconcile wouldn't expose the issue since it ignored reconciled transactions.   One thing to try is to search for the value you're off.  If you're lucky, a single transaction will appear that might be the bad transaction.  This doesn't always work but might have worked for the case of a duplicate transaction.  The problem is if you've been using QEM, Q2015 or Q2016 to reconcile, you haven't really been reconciling because it wasn't rigorous enough to catch issue.  3.5's reconcile is uncovering problems in people's data because it's now using the same methodology as Q2007 and Qwin which have always had a solid reconcile feature.  With that said, we continue to work with people to try to figure out if there is a bug and we'll fix it quickly once we can replicate it and figure out the solution.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Mac update 3.5.1 would not open my data file, but I think I learned ....

Updated in Quicken 2016 Mac to Aug. 2, 2016 version 3.5.1, but it wouldn't open my data file, opened the New Get Started With Quicken window, which was hung, had to Force Quit from several tries.
    This for Windows version but it is likely the same for Mac, from: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-if-quicken-cant-open-my-data-file-when-converting-my-data-previ...

dialog

Get Started with Quicken dialog from appearing again, copy your most recent data file into the Quicken folder and open it from there."
    All my data files, even pictures, etc., for safety are on a big external RAID drive- I don't even have a Documents folder on my startup drive. I am not at home where that computer is, but I'll bet when I make a folder named Quicken holding my Quicken 2016 application, and copy my data file to it, it will open!! If not I'll try putting the data file in an Application Support folder.
    I'm pretty sure once I get it going that way, I can again move and use the data file on my external RAID.

Just received some information from a customer, Chris, who may have figured out the root cause of the problem people are running into.  When one sets up their accounts for the first time we add an opening balance that is dynamic and changes based on transactions entered.  If the user adds transactions that are earlier than the 1st download date then the opening balance adjusts.  For later transactions it shouldn't change.  For some reason Chris says his opening balance is changing after each download for a couple of his accounts which in turn is throwing off his reconcile balance.  He simply deleted the opening balance adjustment and manually entered it and it seems to be working for him.  Anyway, there's still more exploration our team needs to do to confirm if this is indeed the main culprit but wanted to get this potential issue and resolution out to the community.  Not sure if this is the main problem but wanted to let people know as soon as I had something.   If you investigate and find that it is the same issue you're running into please report back to the forum.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

dialog

@Quicken Marcus:  Cute!  I didn't realize that sorting on the Clr column would result in the Balance column being re-calculated and displayed.  When was this added?

As one who has to frequently import data from Quicken Premier 2016, I definitely appreciate the QM2016 3.5.1 approach.  In prior versions of QM2015/QM2016, the first reconciliation after importing always had a starting balance of $0.00 with the starting date set to the date that the account was opened.  The transactions that had been reconciled in Quicken Premier were never recognized as being reconciled.

Now, can you fix the bloody orange pencil (pending transaction) that gets set in the Status column during import on reconciled transactions?

And while you're at it, can you fix the new blue pencil (transaction needs review) bug that was recently introduced.  If the orange pencil is set in the Status column and you download a matching transaction, the Status column is being cleared instead of displaying the blue pencil in the Status column.  I find it a wee irritating to have the Account Status window reporting that 3 transactions have been downloaded and finding only a direct deposit with the blue ball in the Status column.

Also, now that I'm on a roll, can we get some tool that allows to remove orange pencils on reconciled transactions?  I have a number of transactions that always get the orange pencil set in the Status column.  Some of these date back to 1958.  I'll never be able to download a matching transaction for these.  I don't know of any financial institutions that would be willing to generate an OFX file containing 58 years of transactions.
This discussion has been closed.