Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.1 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    alfried3 said:

So sorry I updated Mac 2016. Can't download transactions and can't change connections. Everything was fine, prior to updating to 3.5.1

I do have one question, why aren't the "unreconciled" items from the last recon (outstanding transactions that did not clear the bank last recon) display in the current reconcile screen so you can match them off with this months bank statement recon as in 2007 version.  I have had a check or a POS not clear the bank for awhile. So  what happen currently is you get to the end and don't balance and you have to go back to the register and hunt down any outstanding items that did not get included in your reconciliation.  You have to check them of in the register too to make your recon balance but that item or items is not reflected with the green check mark to signify Quicken has reconciled it so not sure what issues if any this creates.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Mac update 3.5.1 would not open my data file, but I think I learned ....

Updated in Quicken 2016 Mac to Aug. 2, 2016 version 3.5.1, but it wouldn't open my data file, opened the New Get Started With Quicken window, which was hung, had to Force Quit from several tries.
    BUT think I found the answer after hours of searching:
    This for Windows version but it is likely the same for Mac, from: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-if-quicken-cant-open-my-data-file-when-converting-my-data-previ...
    "Make sure that your most recent data file is in the Quicken folder. If

your most recent data file is someplace else (for example, in the

Quicken/BACKUP folder), Quicken may display the Get Started with Quicken

dialog
    so you can identify the data file you want to use. To keep the

Get Started with Quicken dialog from appearing again, copy your most recent data file into the Quicken folder and open it from there."
    All my data files, even pictures, etc., for safety are on a big external RAID drive- I don't even have a Documents folder on my startup drive. I am not at home where that computer is, but I'll bet when I make a folder named Quicken holding my Quicken 2016 application, and copy my data file to it, it will open!! If not I'll try putting the data file in an Application Support folder.
    I'm pretty sure once I get it going that way, I can again move and use the data file on my external RAID.
    Hope this suggestion helps some of you with same problem.

We have not found any issues in reconciling in 3.5.1.  When we've followed up with customers, as of this time, all the issues have either been because of bad bank balances where pending transactions were included or errors in the account that the old reconcile didn't uncover but the new one will.  This is why we changed it so that reconcile is far more reliable.  There are no bug fixes coming in 3.5.2 since we haven't found anything yet that needs to be fixed.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Now that we have "proper" reconciliation options, how can I hide reconciled transactions from the account register?

Interesting.   So you only want to see unreconciled transactions.  I don't think we currently have that feature but it would be pretty easy to implement.  Anyone else interested in this feature? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    J. Atwood said:

I am having the same as other. I have been reconciling for years (20?) and when I got to do it now, my account Start / Prior Balance is off. Not the same as the statements and when I last reconciled (a month ago). What is the fix?

Definitely stay with the 3.4.1 version.  The reconciliation "logic" now used makes for problems unless you have a very simple and clear data base.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Mac update 3.5.1 would not open my data file, but I think I learned ....

Updated in Quicken 2016 Mac to Aug. 2, 2016 version 3.5.1, but it wouldn't open my data file, opened the New Get Started With Quicken window, which was hung, had to Force Quit from several tries.
    This for Windows version but it is likely the same for Mac, from: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-if-quicken-cant-open-my-data-file-when-converting-my-data-previ...

dialog

Get Started with Quicken dialog from appearing again, copy your most recent data file into the Quicken folder and open it from there."
    All my data files, even pictures, etc., for safety are on a big external RAID drive- I don't even have a Documents folder on my startup drive. I am not at home where that computer is, but I'll bet when I make a folder named Quicken holding my Quicken 2016 application, and copy my data file to it, it will open!! If not I'll try putting the data file in an Application Support folder.
    I'm pretty sure once I get it going that way, I can again move and use the data file on my external RAID.

I haven't followed up with you directly, but I did follow-up with Jeff when he emailed me. As of this time, we have not determined the cause of my issues or the solution. I'd be happy to work with you on this, too.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Now that we have "proper" reconciliation options, how can I hide reconciled transactions from the account register?

@Quicken Marcus:  Don't even think about implementing this idea without it being made a General Preference feature.

And while I'm at it, can you get rid of the feature added in QM2015 to "remember" the last transaction that you selected in each transaction register and restore it the next time you access that account.  It doesn't work reliably.  If you have used Search to find a one or more transactions, the feature results in the earliest transactions being displayed with transactions highlighted in the same position on the screen as those that were displayed when you did the Search.

This is really annoying and needs a General Preference option to enable or disable the feature.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

dialog

I would like to reiterate I posted problems with 3.5.1 and the reconciliation processing as a whole.  I do not have bad data or past reconciliations issues.  I reconciled accounts for a living for a financial institution so I am savvy on the suggest and hope you listen to the users complaints that we take the time to bring to you in hopes of making Quicken a better app.  I do not do online anything through Quicken I prefer matching my entered transactions against what the bank statement says and I wonder if the "online" programming isn't at the heart of the problems for manual users.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New Quicken 3.5.x Reconciliation Never Matches, Old Version Fine..

I updated to the new Quicken for Mac 3.5.1 from 3.4.1 today and then went about doing my monthly finances. I couldn't get one single account to reconcile without offering an adjustment, regardless of whether I did it the "online" way or the "statement balance" way.
    I reverted to the backup it made prior to the upgrade and ran 3.4.1 again, no problems. Every reconciliation worked perfectly.

This is the exact same data, both in the Quicken file, from the bank download and from the paper statements.

What's wrong with the new version that it won't reconcile properly, or what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Mr Crocket

"Displayed in the Reconcile window's transaction register which is "blued-out" or "greyed-out" depending on your System Preferences settings are all the transactions that have not been marked as reconciled in the Clr column."

I need to bring to your attention this statement is not "true" at least for the manual reconciliations as it does not include unreconciled transactions from the previous recon AKA "outstanding transactions" which do not have check marks either.  So after verifying "manually" and checking off each cleared item in the recon window you have to go to the register window and find any outstanding items that cleared and check them off outside of the reconciliation process in order to balance.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Just further clarification on the use of this feature.  

My workflow goes like this.  I reconcile my bank account.  Once I'm done, I have no need to worry about those transactions.  There could be years of transactions prior to that.....all i'm concerned with looking at is the unreconciled  (cleared and uncleared) and future transactions (scheduled).  Looking at anything else is just too much information to dig through.   I could put a date filter on it, but there is no good reason to not have this additional filter option.   

To comment on the last post here, I don't think that placing it in the general options is a good idea.  Based on the current user interface, there is already a filter option on the register.  Simply adding an additional filter option for 'Unreconciled' should be sufficient.

Thanks in advance!

Todd
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have a question ............why should users have to deal with reconciled items becoming unreconciled or just plain missing now and changing balances..... why is there a problem with the integrity of the data after a bonified balanced recon is completed to where you can't trust the prior balance you reconciled too to begin the next recon and the fix is now that it will recalculate the whole register each time you reconcile in order to fix the unstable processing issues.  I can't believe all the work arounds and putting it off as user errors to justify this insanity.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New Quicken 3.5.x Reconciliation Never Matches, Old Version Fine..

I updated to the new Quicken for Mac 3.5.1 from 3.4.1 today and then went about doing my monthly finances. I couldn't get one single account to reconcile without offering an adjustment, regardless of whether I did it the "online" way or the "statement balance" way.
    I reverted to the backup it made prior to the upgrade and ran 3.4.1 again, no problems. Every reconciliation worked perfectly.

This is the exact same data, both in the Quicken file, from the bank download and from the paper statements.

What's wrong with the new version that it won't reconcile properly, or what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

@102_dar_70:  I have accounts that I maintain manually.  I have other accounts that I enter transactions in the register but use Quicken's automated download capability to update transactions that my financial institution has posted to my accounts.  This group contains all accounts that have direct deposits of pension, Social Security, and VA Disability Compensation payments.  Finally, I have another group of accounts that are only maintained through downloads.  These tend to be brokerage and retirement accounts.

I only reconcile to paper statements from my financial institution.  I had no problems reconciling any of my accounts with the new Reconcile feature in QM2016 3.5.1.  Before making the comment that you quoted, I changed a number of transactions with the Reconcile icon in the cleared.  Some I changed to uncleared and some to cleared and Reconciled the account using the latest statement from my financial institution.  All transactions that I had changed to uncleared and cleared were displayed in the Reconcile window.

The Quicken Balance was equal to my Statement Balance less the sum of all the transactions that I had marked as uncleared.  How I maintained the account didn't make a difference.

If you read the "What's new in the Latest Update" section of the Quicken 2016 Help documentation, the second bullet under "A brand new Reconcile experience" is wrong.  It should read "Display only transactions that have not been reconciled."

As you manually maintain all your accounts, you do not have to deal with the race condition that occurs when you have transactions recorded in the register that occur before the closing date of your statement but are posted to your account after the  statement was generated by your financial institution.  I assume everyone knows that the status of these transactions must be changed to uncleared to Reconcile the account and changed back to cleared after the Reconcile completes.

One thing that I failed to mention in previous comments is an issue involving Transfer transactions when converting or importing data to create a new QM2016 data file.  Quicken may fail to match the transaction in the origination account with the transaction in the destination account and can result in duplicate transactions in both accounts.

If your Reconcile window doesn't show all "outstanding transactions", you have uncovered a bug in Reconcile.  All transactions that have not been reconciled should appear in the Reconcile window.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    J. Atwood said:

I am having the same as other. I have been reconciling for years (20?) and when I got to do it now, my account Start / Prior Balance is off. Not the same as the statements and when I last reconciled (a month ago). What is the fix?

Bill:  Some consider me to be a pastor at the Quicken Community Church but I'll try not to preach.  The Quicken 2016 Help file has a section titled, Troubleshooting and Adjusting Account After Updating to Version 3.5.  It describes two reconciliation methods:  Reconciling Quickly and Reconciling Completely.

Let's assume that you have reconciled your account in May and June using QM2016 3.4.1 and you know that the balance in Quicken agreed with your June statement.  It might be best to use the Reconciling Quickly method.  After upgrading to QM2016 3.5.1, use your June statement for your first reconciliation as you know this is correct.

Start Reconcile and select Use Statement Balance.  Ignore the starting balance.  Set the Ending Date to that on your June statement and enter the Ending Balance from the statement.  Click on the Next button.  Click on the Gear icon and select the Start Fresh option.  This will mark all transactions that occurred 7 weeks before your June statement's ending date as reconciled.

Next mark any transactions that did not appear in your June statement as uncleared so that won't be reconciled and click Done.  If the difference between the Quicken and statement balance. QM2016 3.5.1 will insert an adjustment transaction on your June statement's ending date.

Now, you can reconcile to your July statement.  The Beginning/Prior Balance displayed in Q2016 3.5.1 will now match the starting balance of your July statement and you can proceed as you did in QM2016 3.4.1.

There is a potential problem with transfer transactions failing to match correctly when importing data from another version of Quicken or when a conversion is required to update QM2016.  The match failure results in duplicate transfers being recorded.  One way of locating duplicates before reconciling is to enter Transfer in the Search box and restrict the search to the Category column.  It should be fairly easy to spot any duplicate transfers and correct them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well said. Thank you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

WHAT?  How do I "un-check any checks that have not yet cleared, transactions that my have been entered in error?"  And how is this different from checking all the items that are on the statement as cleared and noting which have not cleared?  It's still not working!  And a "one-time problem?"  Quicken says I have $200 more than the bank says I have and using the "Add and Adjustment" could just get me in more trouble!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

Do you have a column headed by "Clr" visible?  If not, click on the Columns icon on the bottom righthand corner of your register and select "Clr."  There should be a check mark to the left of "Clr" now.  Uncheck the box next to the check that hasn't cleared yet.  If the check is on your statement I presume it has cleared.  Otherwise your bank has no way of knowing about the check.  I'm confused by your sentence "And now is this different..."
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CJB said:

Same exact situation here. All transactions on my accounts were completely reconciled prior installing 3.51. I've been reconciling using monthly statement, religiously without any issues for years.  Now after attempting to reconcile my accounts (3 so far) using 3.5.1, nothing matches.  It required an adjustment to bring thing into balance. 'Ending balances' from all previous reconciliations no longer exist. I generally love Quicken and was really looking forwarding to this update, but this has been a real downer.

Marie A. Vitulli, I'm not sure why some people are having trouble with statement prior balance when I didn't.  What my ending balance was when I manually reconciled last month in 3.4 came up correctly as my beginning balance just fine in the 3.5.1 upgrade.  I'm guessing there is something different people are doing to reconcile their accounts as I have heard work arounds mentioned to balancing like using "adjustments" that might not get picked up in an upgrade just guessing but something is amis.  Although even in 3.4 I ran into issues like a reconciled item that later showed up uncheck (unreconciled) by the system throwing my balance off and I also had a transaction missing too.  Note:  I don't use the online functionality at all.....
  • susantjenkins
    susantjenkins Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

Hello, I've posted about the reconcile issue in another thread but then found this one with the advice from Jeff above.
    I attempted this workaround on one of my bank accounts, and it didn't work. I still was left with an unreconciled amount. This is an account that only has a few transactions to reconcile, so it's easy to see any mistakes I might make.
    I have been using Quicken for 19 years, and have reconciled all of my accounts every month without problem for 30 years. I used to train people in how to use accounting software for a living, and I am a former financial controller. So I don't think it's me.
    I see many others having this issue based on the threads, so would appreciate a real workable technical note or update from Quicken on a fix for this, which seems to be a programming issue. Entering a fake transaction doesn't work for me. There's too much of a ding on my reporting and budgeting for me to be comfortable with it.
    FWIW, I do not download but enter everything manually, and reconcile to "paper" statements. I have 2.5 years' worth of transactions in my currently active Quicken file.

I'm not irritated enough to revert to the old version...yet. Have better things to do - hope there is a real solution soon.

Susan
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

Agree with Susan. I hate the fact that there is an adjustment for last month's reconciliation and I have no idea why. I've never not been able to balance my books for the last 30+ years.

Too many people with the same problem means there must be something amiss with the new Quicken version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

I agree there are and or have been problems with the integrity of the data becoming unreconciled after being reconciled as the beginning balance is calculated based on reconciled items (hence the green X in the Clr column becomes unchecked by Quicken for some bizarre reason no one has figured out, some believe the user changed or edited their previously balanced recon). I have encountered this issue in 3.4 too. I also would like to comment again why "all" unreconciled items to include prior outstanding (unreconciled) items from prior periods don't display in the current reconcile screen, this is standard in 2007 which is part of the recon process but not 2016 and would of helped people having problems with the upgrade identify where the out of balance is coming from.  When I verify the bank statement against the transactions in the recon screen and I need to check off a transaction on the bank statement not displayed in the recon screen, I have to go to the register and see if I have an old outstanding item still uncleared (reconciled) and check it off in the register instead of the recon screen in order to balance in the recon screen which is weird. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

dialog

I have successfully balanced for 25 years.  I now have a problem.  I agree with Mr. Hamilton, your test cases missed some user scenarios.  Don't blame the users for that.

I also want to add that I keep a paper checkbook registry in addition to using Quicken to balance.  The software is used as a backup.

I have checked all unreconciled items and I have a few checks that were not cashed, but nothing that adds up to the difference between my statement start balance and what Quicken now reports.  I would like to revert back to 3.4.1 and try the upgrade process again.  Where can I download 3.4.1 so I can try the upgrade process again?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mac 2016 update 3.5.1 probem with bank reconciliation.

Since I downloaded this update it has completely screwed up my bank reconciliation process.  Previously all I had to do was enter the ending balance per my register, and then "backfill" in the starting balance to whatever would make the account balance.  I did this once a week or so with no problems.  Most transactions are automatically cleared as I download them, but I've always cleared some manually; say, for example, a correction of an error or a voided check with a zero charge amount (because the Mac version doesn't have a feature for marking a check "void').

The 3.5.1 update introduces a totally new reconciliation process that is reporting my bank account register as being $39K out of balance (which is ridiculous)!  Why is this?  I don't see any option but to accept Quicken's proposed $39K adjustment if I want my transactions to be marked as reconciled, but that's hardly a solution because then my register balance is going to read a ridiculous $39K higher than it actually is?

Why did Intuit "fix" something that wasn't broken?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

MC Crockett;
    Your last paragraph is correct regarding the outstanding transactions which was a problem in both 3.4 and 3.5.1, but guess what, they fixed it in 3.5.2 :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mac 2016 update 3.5.1 probem with bank reconciliation.

Since I downloaded this update it has completely screwed up my bank reconciliation process.  Previously all I had to do was enter the ending balance per my register, and then "backfill" in the starting balance to whatever would make the account balance.  I did this once a week or so with no problems.  Most transactions are automatically cleared as I download them, but I've always cleared some manually; say, for example, a correction of an error or a voided check with a zero charge amount (because the Mac version doesn't have a feature for marking a check "void').

The 3.5.1 update introduces a totally new reconciliation process that is reporting my bank account register as being $39K out of balance (which is ridiculous)!  Why is this?  I don't see any option but to accept Quicken's proposed $39K adjustment if I want my transactions to be marked as reconciled, but that's hardly a solution because then my register balance is going to read a ridiculous $39K higher than it actually is?

Seriously? Perhaps the fact you have had to 'backfill' should have been a clue you were never balanced to begin with. I reconcile before and after the update with no issues.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Uh, Karl, I've been a CPA for over 35 years, partner with a national firm for 27 of them.  I know how to balance a checking account.  The backfill was to get around Quicken's already goofy, but nonetheless manageable reconciliation procedure.

Good to know that your reconciliation success proves there's no problem with the the process (despite there being at least a few other complaints).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I also believe this fix will help users be able to identify those transactions that have changed to "unreconciled" which are causing their account imbalances because they will appear in the recon screen and be very noticeable since they will have old dates and just may lead to the root of the glitch. 3.5.2 also includes a fix regarding a zero balance crash among other things. I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent for users having severe issues in 3.5.1 that can't seem to be resolved properly to restore 3.4 and then upgrade to 3.5.2 and skip 3.5.1 all to gether, if that is possible. If their lucky what ever the problem was in 3.5.1 may not exist in 3.5.2 hopefully. It may be that  we can just move on to looking at version 3.5.2 which is in production now.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I would have to agree and disagree here but we all our entitled to our opinions, but one thing I believe in strongly when it comes to accounting is you don't get creative no matter what the problems, if your reconciliations are not balanced using the correct reconciliation methods, it will come back to haunt you later as well as further complicate the real issues that need addressing.  Also when people want to rearrange where files are stored instead of the default Quicken programed locations, expect problems later too.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'll simply add again: I'm a CPA with 35 years and a partner in a national firm.  From a bank balance hygiene perspective, it's better to reconcile more frequently as opposed to less (in facts, as one who has audited banks, they reconcile their transaction accounts DAILY).  Reconciling with greater frequency isn't "creative", it provides improved control.  Quicken prevents it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'll simply add again: I'm a CPA with 35 years and a partner in a national firm.  From a bank balance hygiene perspective, it's better to reconcile more frequently as opposed to less (in facts, as one who has audited banks, they reconcile their transaction accounts DAILY).  Reconciling with greater frequency isn't "creative", it provides improved control.  Quicken prevents it.  And why would I want to accept a forced adjustment that's going to make my register read $39K higher than I know it to be?  That's the height of being "creative".  As I said, I reconcile my register ever two-three days while LOOKING at my bank balance and activity on their online site.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I don't see a problem with reconciling more often than monthly in Quicken at least manually to the bank balance if you verify all transactions cleared as of the date of the that balance from the date of your last recon.  You just enter the ending date that correlates to that days bank balance.  I can't see quicken stopping you from balancing as often as you like.  Sorry, but the buzz word "Back Fill" sounds like a creative/work around event as I have never heard of this expression in connection with reconciling a bank account before now and I also worked in the accounting world.  I check my account sometimes sooner than my next statement comes out  if I've had a lot of transactions just don't do an actual Quicken reconciliation till I get the statement.  I do agree with you on entering an unreconciled difference is just a bad practice.  Good Luck!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

"Backfill" isn't an accounting word and I'm not suggesting it is (that's why I put it in quotes in my original post - what's your experience by the way; "working in the accounting world could mean anything" - I merely used it to describe the way you could get around Quicken for Mac's built-in limitation on reconciling with the frequency you want.  Before 3.5.1 you could plug in your current register balance - there was a field for it in the reconciliation screen.  Quicken would automatically populate the field for the previous balance (which had nothing to do with when you last actually balanced).  So if you were confident all the items you wanted to have marked as reconciled had actually cleared - as I was, since I had my online bank activity open in my browser screen and my Quicken register in another window, and had three decades of auditing experience to back me up - you could populate the so-called beginning balance with whatever number it took to get Quicken to treat the account as reconciled and mark the cleared transactions as reconciled.  Any beginning staff accountant could understand how to do this along with why it's a perfectly legitimate approach.

I find it interesting that no one seems to have an answer as to why letting Quicken add $39,000 to my register balance is a good thing, and not "creative" in and of itself.  Going forward I'd have to make a note to myself to subtract $39,000 from my Quicken register balance at any given point to know my real balance .  That simply doesn't make any sense.  I've worked with hundreds of business accounting systems from QuickBooks (an amateur program if ever there was one) to custom stuff from SAP and Oracle along with everything in between and there isn't one among them that forces you to artificially force an entry to misstate a G/L account to accommodate a reconciliation feature.
This discussion has been closed.