Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.1 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

This is what mine looks like.  I went back and found a back-up of what it looked like before I attempted to reconcile after the update.imageimage
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RooneyR said:

I'm running Quicken 2007 side by side with Quicken 2016, v3.5.1. (My way of learning the new version but maintaining the solid base version in the program I've used since 2002. Double the work, but helpful for me.) So far, so good. A question about Budgets: Can I import Q2007 Budgets into Q2016? If so, how? If not, is that a feature that can added? (I had imported Q2007 data into 3.5.0, then upgraded.)

Oops! Just realized that the 2016 budget had indeed been imported. Nice! Now, about the Reports function...
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

@Tiffany:  I see two images of transactions that were imported into QM2015 or QM2016 that were never cleared (matched by a transaction downloaded from your financial institution) with an aggregate value of -$752.38 and that your current account balance in Quicken is $387,75 while your financial institution reports a balance of $0.00.

In addition, I see a transfer to or from Wells Fargo on 10/26/09 that doesn't have a value entered.  I that it involved a payment of $387.75 and would bring the Quicken balance into agreement with your financial institution.

Correct the Wells Fargo entry, click on the Cleared button, click on the Done button, and never see this Reconcile issue again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

It's actually not that sophisticated, I found out after two nights of trying to balance.  When I clicked the 'back' button on the top right of those screen shots - I looked FIRST at the opening balance.  I then figured out how 'off' it was from what my statement said - then I randomly went about my transactions since 2002 or 2005 (depending on whether it was checking or my cc I was reconciling) un-reconciling them until I got the previous balance correct.  THEN I went about balancing my statement as usual.  At the end - IT BALANCED!!!!!  WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO CLEAR THOSE RANDOM TRANSACTIONS FROM THE PAST.  I then manually re-reconciled the random transactions and all is well.  I know it sounds crazy, but I don't think Quicken 2016 had any rhyme or reason for un-reconciling the screen shot transactions.  On one cc I had sense enough to not do anything with the random transactions until I was done reconciling - that's how I figured it out - then I just manually reconciled them when I was at a 0 balance and ready to press 'done'.  IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!  And no damage is done to those random ones as they get reconciled as they once were.  Thankfully I saved many of those years worth of statements so I could go back to make sure the amounts really had cleared.  I had to first make sure Quicken 2016 wasn't making up transactions.  And why some are $0 I have no idea - but I'm not going to care at this point.  That was probably a result of some entry I did back in Quicken 2007 that didn't convert well.  It just doesn't matter is what I'm finding.  I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE ALL MY ACCOUNTS ARE RECONCILED ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!  WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone reading this - the key is - YOU HAVE TO QUIT OUT OF THE RECONCILE SCREEN EACH TIME YOU LOOK AGAIN TO SEE IF THE STARTING BALANCE IS MATCHING THE STATEMENT.  If you don't x out of the reconcile screen each time - it doesn't refresh.

HAPPY RECONCILING!
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited November 2016
    Options

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

Tiffany, so glad to hear you got it straightened out! Hopefully you're good-to-go from here on out.
  • Quicken Jeff
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm getting an Error 324 Account marked as "DEAD".  How do I troubleshoot this?  My Quicken is not updating

Stephanie,
    The problem is, the unreconciled transactions do not appear in the list and they all tally the difference.
    Could you clarify this statement?

Are you saying you have some unreconciled transactions that do not display when you attempt to go into the Reconcile window? (And I assume the date of these transaction is before the Statement Ending date.)

Could you walk through what's happening?
    • What are the default values on screen one?  (Screenshots like Tiffany provided would also be great.)
    • Do you change the Starting balance value?  If so, have you tried to reconcile without changing the starting balance?
    • Is this a connected account (you download) or manual?
    • etc.
    We could try to do a call if we can't get it worked out. (You're only 16 hours ahead of me! :-)  I'd like to understand the issue. 
  • Quicken Jeff
    edited November 2016
    Options

I have always been updated and used the most recent version of Quicken Mac 2016.  I updated to 3.5.1 and reconciled to my online balances automatically.  Prior to the updated I had no unreconciled/uncleared transactions, ALL my transactions were reconciled/cleared prior to 3.5.1.  After update to 3.5.1 with the new reconciliation method, I have several account balances that do not match my online balance for reconciliation.  I have read some of the above listed explanations but I do not understand why this is happening if all my previous transactions were reconciled.  

What is the correct way to handle this?

Charles,

What bank are you using? I have recently seen some issues where a bank (citibank was one) was sending us an Online Balance that included the value of some pending (uncleared transactions) but did NOT send the transactions. We've also seen it the other way--Balance is for just cleared transactions, but some pending transactions are downloaded.

In either case you'd end up with a bad reconcile because either the balance is off or there are extra transactions.

Could you check your bank web site and confirm that this is not the case? That the bank's current balance (excluding pending transactions) is what you see in Quicken and/or no pending transactions are actually downloaded.

If the balance is off due to pending transactions:
    Choose the "Statement Balance" option in step 1 and enter the corrected balance (balance without considering pending) in the Ending Balance field and enter today's date as ending balance date.

If the balance is correct but pending transaction were sent:
    On Step 2, un-check (unclear) the pending transactions.

Let me know of this helps.

Also,
    'Ending balances' from all previous reconciliations no longer exist.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? Could you clarify?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Quicken Jeff
    edited November 2016
    Options
    CJB said:

Same exact situation here. All transactions on my accounts were completely reconciled prior installing 3.51. I've been reconciling using monthly statement, religiously without any issues for years.  Now after attempting to reconcile my accounts (3 so far) using 3.5.1, nothing matches.  It required an adjustment to bring thing into balance. 'Ending balances' from all previous reconciliations no longer exist. I generally love Quicken and was really looking forwarding to this update, but this has been a real downer.

CJB,

Sorry for the problems you're having.

Could you walk through the problem you're seeing in one of your accounts in a bit more detail?
    • Is the account connected (downloaded) or manual?
    • What do you see and enter in Step 1? Step 2?
    • etc.
    Also, you said:
    'Ending balances' from all previous reconciliations no longer exist. 
    What do you mean by this? Could you clarify? Which "ending balance" are you referring to and where do you see it?

Again, sorry for the troubles.
    Jeff
  • Greydog9928
    Greydog9928 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

I have always been updated and used the most recent version of Quicken Mac 2016.  I updated to 3.5.1 and reconciled to my online balances automatically.  Prior to the updated I had no unreconciled/uncleared transactions, ALL my transactions were reconciled/cleared prior to 3.5.1.  After update to 3.5.1 with the new reconciliation method, I have several account balances that do not match my online balance for reconciliation.  I have read some of the above listed explanations but I do not understand why this is happening if all my previous transactions were reconciled.  

What is the correct way to handle this?

Two banks are Citibank and Heritage Oaks Bank [HOB].

With HOB, the online balance matches what quicken says is the online balance is.  I don't see any pending transactions. The View Today Balance in quicken is off by the Online balance by an amount that is off when reconciling.

With Citibank it is very difficult to tell because quicken's listing of the online balance is difference than the online balance.  It would be much easier to explain with a screen share.

So if the banks are differing in how they deliver transactions, isn't this going to be a recurring problem?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reconcile problems Mac 3.5.1.

Problems with latest update 3.5.1. I track 8 accounts (1 checking, 2 credit cards, 1 auto loan & 4 savings accounts). All accounts reconciled in June, but I have major problems in July. Two of the accounts with only a few transactions reconciled, but the credit cards & checking accounts were "off" from $18.84 to over $6,000.00. 
  • alfried3
    alfried3 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So sorry I updated Mac 2016. Can't download transactions and can't change connections. Everything was fine, prior to updating to 3.5.1
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 for mac won't download banking transactions.

Ever since I downloaded v. 3.5.1 Quicken will not download my banking transactions.  Does anyone know a fix for this?  
  • Doug Blakeley
    Doug Blakeley Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Eric Hess said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 for mac won't download banking transactions.

Ever since I downloaded v. 3.5.1 Quicken will not download my banking transactions.  Does anyone know a fix for this?  

I noticed this morning that I can update all accounts (shift-command-u), however, updating a single account (command-u) did not work. This might be a work around for you.
  • Doug Blakeley
    edited November 2016
    Options
    alfried3 said:

So sorry I updated Mac 2016. Can't download transactions and can't change connections. Everything was fine, prior to updating to 3.5.1

There is a possibility that you could roll back to the previous version. When you updated to 3.5.1 a backup of the previous database was created. This can be found by going to Help/Show Backups in Finder. You could then roll back Quicken if you have Timemachine active on your Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm getting an Error 324 Account marked as "DEAD".  How do I troubleshoot this?  My Quicken is not updating

I'm also having a problem with reconciling my checking account. The starting balance was different that what I had the end of last month. Couldn't find a way to change it. Went ahead and finished reconciling the current month hoping it would work out. It didn't. There is a $2,000 difference! Went through everything twice and can't clear this out. What a mess! I've never not reconciled my account so I'm at a loss of what to do!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    alfried3 said:

Thanks. I tried, but Quicken wants me to re-register & says it can't open the latest database as is was last opened in 2014, which is incorrect. My latest database was created a couple months ago.
  • dave8361
    dave8361 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Mac update 3.5.1 would not open my data file, but I think I learned ....

Updated in Quicken 2016 Mac to Aug. 2, 2016 version 3.5.1, but it wouldn't open my data file, opened the New Get Started With Quicken window, which was hung, had to Force Quit from several tries.
    BUT think I found the answer after hours of searching:
    This for Windows version but it is likely the same for Mac, from: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-if-quicken-cant-open-my-data-file-when-converting-my-data-previ...
    "Make sure that your most recent data file is in the Quicken folder. If

your most recent data file is someplace else (for example, in the

Quicken/BACKUP folder), Quicken may display the Get Started with Quicken

dialog
    so you can identify the data file you want to use. To keep the

Get Started with Quicken dialog from appearing again, copy your most recent data file into the Quicken folder and open it from there."
    All my data files, even pictures, etc., for safety are on a big external RAID drive- I don't even have a Documents folder on my startup drive. I am not at home where that computer is, but I'll bet when I make a folder named Quicken holding my Quicken 2016 application, and copy my data file to it, it will open!! If not I'll try putting the data file in an Application Support folder.
    I'm pretty sure once I get it going that way, I can again move and use the data file on my external RAID.
    Hope this suggestion helps some of you with same problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New Quicken 3.5.x Reconciliation Never Matches, Old Version Fine..

I updated to the new Quicken for Mac 3.5.1 from 3.4.1 today and then went about doing my monthly finances. I couldn't get one single account to reconcile without offering an adjustment, regardless of whether I did it the "online" way or the "statement balance" way.
    I reverted to the backup it made prior to the upgrade and ran 3.4.1 again, no problems. Every reconciliation worked perfectly.

This is the exact same data, both in the Quicken file, from the bank download and from the paper statements.

What's wrong with the new version that it won't reconcile properly, or what am I doing wrong? Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Kathy - I FINALLY got my checking account to balance last night by 'faking it out'.  I basically found transactions to 'unreconcile' by checking them (alt click) to make the beginning balance the same as my statement.  Then, I reconciled as usual.  The past transactions I had 'unreconciled' I then manually clicked to reconcile them and all was well.  PROBLEM SOLVED!  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

After updating to 3.5.1 mac I, too, have 3 acts that were previously fine marked as dead. I've tried reconnecting with password etc several times but no fix.

Any suggestions? This is annoying.

ETA: all 3 dead accounts are BofA cc, yet 3 more BofA accounts work as usual.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dave8361 said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2016 Mac update 3.5.1 would not open my data file, but I think I learned ....

Updated in Quicken 2016 Mac to Aug. 2, 2016 version 3.5.1, but it wouldn't open my data file, opened the New Get Started With Quicken window, which was hung, had to Force Quit from several tries.
    BUT think I found the answer after hours of searching:
    This for Windows version but it is likely the same for Mac, from: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-if-quicken-cant-open-my-data-file-when-converting-my-data-previ...
    "Make sure that your most recent data file is in the Quicken folder. If

your most recent data file is someplace else (for example, in the

Quicken/BACKUP folder), Quicken may display the Get Started with Quicken

dialog
    so you can identify the data file you want to use. To keep the

Get Started with Quicken dialog from appearing again, copy your most recent data file into the Quicken folder and open it from there."
    All my data files, even pictures, etc., for safety are on a big external RAID drive- I don't even have a Documents folder on my startup drive. I am not at home where that computer is, but I'll bet when I make a folder named Quicken holding my Quicken 2016 application, and copy my data file to it, it will open!! If not I'll try putting the data file in an Application Support folder.
    I'm pretty sure once I get it going that way, I can again move and use the data file on my external RAID.
    Hope this suggestion helps some of you with same problem.

QM2016 3.5.1 does expect to find your Quicken data in the following directory.

~/Library/Application Support/Quicken 2016/Documents/<file>.quicken2016

This directory is located on the disk drive that holds your user account and can be an external disk drive.

My boot drive is my System Volume that contains the OS X operating system and all applications that I have installed plus one emergency user account that I can log into when there is a hardware problem.  My normal user and all other user accounts resides on a separate User Volume that can be configured to be on an internal or external disk drive.

Old Unix system configuration procedures don't die easily after 35 years.  ;-D
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New Quicken 3.5.x Reconciliation Never Matches, Old Version Fine..

I updated to the new Quicken for Mac 3.5.1 from 3.4.1 today and then went about doing my monthly finances. I couldn't get one single account to reconcile without offering an adjustment, regardless of whether I did it the "online" way or the "statement balance" way.
    I reverted to the backup it made prior to the upgrade and ran 3.4.1 again, no problems. Every reconciliation worked perfectly.

This is the exact same data, both in the Quicken file, from the bank download and from the paper statements.

What's wrong with the new version that it won't reconcile properly, or what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Under QM2016 3.4.1 and earlier versions reconciliation was restricted to a specific date range.  Only transactions that occurred between the starting and ending dates that you specified in the Reconcile window were considered for reconciliation.

With QM2016 3.5.1, the reconciliation methodology has been changed to be done in the same manner it is done in Quicken Premier 2016 and other Quicken Windows products.  Reconciliation now includes and considers all transactions in the account instead of just those since the last time that you reconciled.

From the complaints regarding the QM2016 3.5.1 Reconcile methodology, it is clear that many users did not reconcile their accounts after they imported their data into QM2015 or QM2016.

As QM2016 still does not support corporate acquisition and divestiture investment transactions, I continue to use Quicken Premier as my production software.  After a corporate acquisition or divestiture is processed in Quicken Premier, I have to import my latest data file into QM2016 to update the cost basis of my investments.  All of my transactions in Quicken Premier have been reconciled.  At the end of the QM2016 import process, the first thing that I do is to verify that the import did not change any of my reconciled transactions to cleared or uncleared and that the transactions were imported correctly.

The import process has improved considerably since the release of QM2015,  There are fewer than a half-dozen transactions that I need to correct after each QM2016 import.  This is a far cry from the 100 or so transactions that I had to correct in earlier versions of the software.  As a result I haven't been impacted by the changes in Reconcile methodology.

Under QM2016 3.5.1, the starting balance displayed when you select "Use Statement Balance" is the aggregate value of all reconciled transactions in the account's transaction register.  Displayed in the Reconcile window's transaction register which is "blued-out" or "greyed-out" depending on your System Preferences settings are all the transactions that have not been marked as reconciled in the Clr column.  The Reconcile window's transaction register is sorted in ascending date order forcing the oldest transactions that have not been reconciled to be displayed first.

The heavy blue line that use to appear above the first transaction after the starting date in QM2016 3.4.1 no longer appears in QM2016 3.5.1 and no reconciled transactions are displayed in the transaction register.  Once you set the ending date a heavy blue line will appear below the last transaction that occurred on or before that date.

As all transactions in my accounts had been reconciled under QM2016 3.4.1, I didn't see any difference after switching to QM2016 3.5.1.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Again, after installing the latest update, my accounts won't download and update. Each time I click the update button, it searches for about 1 second, then makes it appear it is done but never shows any new transactions nor updates the latest "update time" at the bottom left hand of the screen. Is this issue being worked on? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eric Hess said:

When I do that, it doesn't update anything. It just pulls up the account status screen with a separate "update" button by each account. To get anything to update, I have to click a second time on one of those buttons. 
    If I have it set to only show me the account status when there are errors, then nothing at all gets updated. 
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

Calendar and future balances are not accurate nor represent current balance. If you have a projected scheduled payment in the future, but pay it today, it does not reflect current balance as of today (as it does for Windows version).  It continues to show it in the future, so you have no idea what your balance is as of today, or any other day in between after payments are made!!!! This happens in Transaction page AND Calendar. Also keeps showing old future balance even after the transaction has posted per older date, cleared and reconciled, still shows it in the future! THIS IS A MAJOR ISSUE. I have been a Quicken Windows user for more than 15 years, I RELY on this feature to know where I stand now and in the future, Just switched to MAC  and was very disappointed with features/UI

QUICKEN Tech Team/Support: When can this be fixed????
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

@Anne Farnsworth:  I have had this happen to me after past updates and, occasionally between updates.  The first step in resolving the issue is to access your financial institution's web site and verifying that the account is still active.

If the account is held at a financial institution that is accessed via Quicken Connect, open Quicken Preferences > Mobile & Alerts.  Click Accounts and verify that there is a check mark in the box to the left of the financial institution and account name.  Also, verify that the financial institution's name string has not been changed.

If neither has been changed, click on Advanced.  Next click on the "Reset Connected Services" button.  This can correct the problem but does not always work.

If you perform another update of online accounts and you still can't download transactions, you are stuck with using the Troubleshooting procedure that you must use with Direct Connect accounts.

Click on the account's Settings icon.  Verify under Downloads that the connection type and financial institution are correct.  Actually it makes little difference if they are correct or not.  You need to click on Troubleshooting.  You will need to Deactivate downloads and click Save.

You will now need to set up downloads to restore access to the account.  The only problem with this approach is that you will possibly get duplicate transactions downloaded to that account that you will need to delete.
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks for your feedback. I've already done all of the above, but I the current  or fail balance is still not accurate. Basically future scheduled payments that are paid earlier and cleared/reconciled continue to show in register and calendar as in the future, so no way to find out actual daily balance in Calendar, nor in register. They are sorted by Date not by Entered, when sort by Entered, you get no data under Balance column! so no way way around it I believe this is a bug. Hopefully Quicken Support has a solution.
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

Meant to write "future balance" not "fail balance"
  • Doug Blakeley
    edited November 2016
    Options

I am new to this discussion but I have not really had the problems that others are with reconciling.  I had been faithfully reconciling some accounts monthly such as my checking account and had not problem with this account.  For credit cards I had not been doing this and is some cases had not for 6+ months.  For these with 3.5.1, I confirmed that what Quicken was reporting for the online balance during reconcile indeed matched what I saw on the webpage for each account.  In some cases the reconcile difference was "0" but for others there was a difference indicated.  Since I agreed on today's balance I allowed this to be entered as a correction so going forward I have a baseline.

With respect to "future balance" I am also not having a "problem".  When I look at my checking account as of today it matches the online amount.  I also had a bill that was to deliver today (house gas bill) and it was delivered today (confirmed on the gas utility webpage) and deducted today (confirmed on the bank webpage).

My understanding of online bill pay is that the date you enter is the date that the payment is delivered.  I usually back off a couple days from the due date when I enter the delivery date.  For example, if owed on the 15th I put the 13th just as a cushion.  The bank puts the bill as "pending" 3 to 4 days before this date to check for available funds but does not deduct until the delivery date.  With this understanding I view my checking account register as correct for the dates in the register.

When I look at the calendar this is also correct.  Bills scheduled in the future for delivery are shown in the calendar and the overall funds show a deduction for this amount.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Intra bank transfers in qm2016 3.5.1 not working.

Transferring money from checking to savings, same bank, no longer working in the latest version of qm2016 3.5.1.  My setup is using Direct Connect.  I have been doing it in the 3.4.1 version without problems.  Please get it fixed.
This discussion has been closed.