Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.1 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm getting an Error 324 Account marked as "DEAD".  How do I troubleshoot this?  My Quicken is not updating

The new improved reconcile feature does not appear to work.  I have no idea where it's getting the quicken balance from as it does not match anything in my register.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm getting an Error 324 Account marked as "DEAD".  How do I troubleshoot this?  My Quicken is not updating

3.5.1:  During transaction reconcile, some previously cleared transactions are uncleared and un-reconciled. This is causing incorrect balances. Go back and  click and ALT/click each previously clear transaction (green check mark). This should correct the balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lizzy Lou said:

I absolutely LOVE what you've done with the Budget function.  SO much easier and intuitive, it finally makes sense for me to invest the time to do some real budgeting!  One issue I've come up with, though, is how to exclude an account from the Actuals.  I have an HSA (Health Savings Account) that I wanted to exclude from the Budget Actuals, and I finally figured out that if I go to the account settings and check the box to "hide" it from reports, it removed this account from the Budget Actuals as well as other reports - easy!  However, when I try to exclude my Mortgage (Loan) account in this same manner, it does remove the Mortgage account from other reports, but it still shows up in my Budget Actuals.  How do I remove my Mortgage account from the Budget Actuals?  (It's really annoying, because it shows all my mortgage actuals to be zero (0), because the debit from my checking account is cancelled out by the credit on my mortgage account.)  Thanks!

The problem with the Budget not excluding the Mortgage account (even though I have selected "Hide Account In Reports" for this account) is not a refresh issue.  I have clicked on and off the budget, and even restarted Quicken, and it is still including the Mortgage account in the Budget (although, as I indicated before, it does exclude the Mortgage account from other reports).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lizzy Lou said:

I absolutely LOVE what you've done with the Budget function.  SO much easier and intuitive, it finally makes sense for me to invest the time to do some real budgeting!  One issue I've come up with, though, is how to exclude an account from the Actuals.  I have an HSA (Health Savings Account) that I wanted to exclude from the Budget Actuals, and I finally figured out that if I go to the account settings and check the box to "hide" it from reports, it removed this account from the Budget Actuals as well as other reports - easy!  However, when I try to exclude my Mortgage (Loan) account in this same manner, it does remove the Mortgage account from other reports, but it still shows up in my Budget Actuals.  How do I remove my Mortgage account from the Budget Actuals?  (It's really annoying, because it shows all my mortgage actuals to be zero (0), because the debit from my checking account is cancelled out by the credit on my mortgage account.)  Thanks!

I also have a suggestion for what I hope would be an easy feature to implement - the Budget "Home" page allows you to look at a 1 month or 12 month budget, but for a 12 month budget, it presets the date range you can look at (basically first of current year to current date).  However, that skews my ability to really assess my performance, because it always includes the current, incomplete month.  What I'd really like to see is my YTD performance through the last EOM (last day of the last month).  While it would be great to be able to select a full date range (especially as history under this tool accumulates and I want to see months/quarters from prior years, etc.), I would settle right now just to be able to accurately assess my to-date performance as of the last end of month.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

The reconcile has some issues with investment accounts. I did the following.

1. Reconciled using a statement method set the beginning balance to the same and set the date to the last time I reconciled in the previous version. No transactions were listed indicating that I truly was reconciled.
    2. I add a remove shares transaction for fees. I check the portfolio and all looks good.
    3. I add a reinvest dividend transaction. Now when I check the portfolio with this fund expanded, I have a new line before the earliest date with a date of "Add Cost Basis". The number of shares is equal to the sum of the remove shares and reinvest dividend. (Difference actually since one is negative.) This is a bug. I just entered these shares and their cost basis. Well actually, you can not enter any longer the cost basis for fees like this.
    4. If I click on the 'Add Cost Basis' and choose to add a sell transaction. I select an approximate dollar amount and of course the # of shares is already filled in by Quicken. I can get the portfolio back to normal (no add cost basis line), but the number of shares are now wrong because of this transaction undoes the two previous transactions.
    5. I try to correct this by doing a buy of the exact opposite of the sell, but the Add Cost Basis reappears. 
    6. I delete the buy from step 5. And the portfolio is once again good.
    7. I do a reconcile and pretend it is correct though it is not. I enter the current account balance and the end date as before. All three transactions show up and I mark them as cleared.
    8. So now I have to fix my messed up account repeating step 5. And was again I have the dreaded Add Cost Basis show up in the Portfolio window.
    9. I repeat step 6. And log this report.
    This is not the first time today that this has happened. Usually doing the extra buy would fix things, but not in this account. This actually came up as an issue in all of my Investment accounts. I will leave this broken so that I can try peoples suggestions.
    When Quicken creates a Placeholder entry in your transaction register the cost basis of the Placeholder entry is $0.00.  When you look at that lot in the Portfolio view, it will indicate that you need to add the cost for that lot.

If you download or manually enter an Add Shares transaction, Quicken assigns a cost basis of $0.00 to the lot unless you specify the cost basis in the Add Shares transaction.  Again, when you look at that lot in the Portfolio view, it will indicate that you need to add the cost for that lot.

I am not familiar with the QM2007 Move transaction but assume that it is similar to the Quicken Premier Transfer Shares transaction.  The latter involves creating a Remove Shares transaction in the old account with a cost basis of $0.00 and creating an Add Shares transaction in the new account for each lot.  The Add Shares transaction specifies the date the shares were originally acquired and the cost basis for the lot.

You indicated that when you imported your QM2007 database, QM2015/QM2016 entered the transactions as Remove Shares transactions with a cost basis of $0.00.  This would have triggered Quicken creating a Placeholder entry for the total number of shares removed with a cost basis of $0.00.

If I have interpreted what you stated correctly, your 401(k) account is FUBAR.  Also, I get the impression that you no longer use QM2007 and want to "correct" the account in QM2016.  In addition, I will make the gross assumption that don't want to be able to compare the performance of your 401(k) investments to other possible investments.

Here's the approach that I would take.  Delete all but the oldest transactions in the 401(k) account.  This should get rid of any Placeholder entries in the account.  If it doesn't, delete the Placeholder entries as well.

Next using a recent paper statement, change the earliest transaction that you left in the account to an Add Shares transaction.  For the "Number shares" enter the number of shares held in the account at the beginning of the statement period.  For the "Total Cost" enter the market value of shares reported in the statement.  Also, make sure that the "Date acquired" matches the date of the transaction.

At this point, you should be able to enter the following transactions and have them Reconcile correctly for each statement period.

(1) Management Fee charge
    (2) Sell shares to pay the Management Fee
    (3) Reivest Dividend

Okay, this approach will result in the loss of lot information; however, as this is a 401(k) account it really doesn't matter as the only item of importance is the current market value of the 401(k) account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Upgraded to 3.5.1 tonight and I'm trying to use the new Reconcile feature for the first time.  Uncleared transactions from my register do not appear in the Reconcile window.  I've looked at every option on the Reconcile window and cannot figure out why the one and only transaction (my monthly payment) is not showing up.  This version seems like it needs a patch already.

I decided to go back to 2005 and reconcile from the beginning to see where the discrepancy I noted with online balance reconciling originated. In August 2005, I had an ending balance of $17,469.21 on my statement which represented two transactions. Quicken says that my ending balance was $16,811.08. Why would it miscalculate the month end balance? I'm afraid there may be a propagation of errors.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Upgraded to 3.5.1 tonight and I'm trying to use the new Reconcile feature for the first time.  Uncleared transactions from my register do not appear in the Reconcile window.  I've looked at every option on the Reconcile window and cannot figure out why the one and only transaction (my monthly payment) is not showing up.  This version seems like it needs a patch already.

3.5.1:  During transaction reconcile, some previously cleared
    transactions are uncleared and un-reconciled. This is causing incorrect
    balances. Go back and  click and ALT/click each previously clear
    transaction (green check mark). This should correct the balance.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

mgretz.mg:  The default "Use Online Balance" is the summation of all transactions in the account since it was opened until today without regard to the status displayed in the Clr column.

When you select "Use Statement Balance", the "Starting/Prior Balance" the value displayed is the balance displayed in "Use Online Balance" less the sum of all transactions that are not marked as "Reconciled" in the Clr column since the account was opened.

If the "Starting/Prior Balance" does not match that shown on your statement, you have old transactions that have never been reconciled.  After entering the statement ending date, ending balance, and clicking "Next"; all of the transactions that have not been reconciled will be displayed in the Reconcile window.

NOTE:  You cannot set the ending date to a date earlier than the most recent transaction that has been marked as "Reconciled" in the Clr column.  Doing this will result in QM2016 creating an adjustment equal to the sum of the reconciled transactions that occurred after the ending date that you entered.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

@Quicken Jeff, @smayer97:  You might want to look at my response to mgretz.mg, above.  If you set an ending date that is earlier than the most recently reconciled transaction, the balances are not adjusted.  Should you click "Done", an adjustment is made equal to the sum of the reconciled transactions that occurred after the ending date.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

1. Reconciled using a statement method set the beginning balance to the same and set the date to the last time I reconciled in the previous version. No transactions were listed indicating that I truly was reconciled.
    2. I add a remove shares transaction for fees. I check the portfolio and all looks good.
    3. I add a reinvest dividend transaction. Now when I check the portfolio with this fund expanded, I have a new line before the earliest date with a date of "Add Cost Basis". The number of shares is equal to the sum of the remove shares and reinvest dividend. (Difference actually since one is negative.) This is a bug. I just entered these shares and their cost basis. Well actually, you can not enter any longer the cost basis for fees like this.
    4. If I click on the 'Add Cost Basis' and choose to add a sell transaction. I select an approximate dollar amount and of course the # of shares is already filled in by Quicken. I can get the portfolio back to normal (no add cost basis line), but the number of shares are now wrong because of this transaction undoes the two previous transactions.
    5. I try to correct this by doing a buy of the exact opposite of the sell, but the Add Cost Basis reappears. 
    7. I do a reconcile and pretend it is correct though it is not. I enter the current account balance and the end date as before. All three transactions show up and I mark them as cleared.
    8. So now I have to fix my messed up account repeating step 5. And was again I have the dreaded Add Cost Basis show up in the Portfolio window.
    This is not the first time today that this has happened. Usually doing the extra buy would fix things, but not in this account. This actually came up as an issue in all of my Investment accounts. I will leave this broken so that I can try peoples suggestions.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to point out that most of my accounts have this problem, but I was able to trick it to operate as normal by doing the add cost basis and then undo by doing a sell. This trick did not work for this particular account. The other accounts that now work normal have many remove shares. So I don't think this is the problem.

It is a bug. And thus I think your advice is great because I doubt that Intuit would ever fix one related to an artifact of an import from 2007 version. So I think I will just take your approach one step further of creating a new account and just transferring everything from this account to the new one. The new account should not have any artifact and I don't loose any history this way. The old account is correct except I can add any new transactions. It is even reconciled to an older statement. 

Thanks again....Doug

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lizzy Lou said:

I agree
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I installed the Mac 3.5.1 update this morning. Now I can't pay a credit card bill with Direct Connect. This worked fine before: I would select the correct payee and then set the transaction up as a transfer. It would pay the bill via Direct Connect, and enter it in my Quicken registers as a transfer from the Direct Connect checking account to the credit card account. Since the update, Quicken tells me it can't do a transfer because the credit card and checking accounts are not with the same institution (they're not). It does this even if I leave the Transfer field blank in the transaction.
    Edit: Of course I am using the Online Payment tab.
    Edit2: When I look at previous Direct Connect bill payments from these registers, the Transfer To field contains both the payee name and the transfer account name, one printed over the other (unreadable).
    Edit3: What I called the Transfer To field in Edit2 is not labeled as such in those old transactions, as it is when I attempt a new one. Quicken seems to be combining the Payee and Transfer (To/From) fields in those past transactions since the update.
    Edit4: Ah! When I looked at the checking account's settings, it said "Bill Pay: Not Available" (Intra-bank Funds Transfer was On). I clicked (I think) "Check for Bill Pay," and the dot next to Bill Pay changed from red to green. Seems to work now. The overprinting of payee and transfer account in older transactions also has gone away. You might want to investigate why the update disabled Direct Connect Bill Pay. Also, the Save button was greyed out when I edited the checking account's settings, so I had no choice other than Cancel, but luckily the change took effect anyway.

I might be the only one on the planet using Direct Connect. Not many banks support it.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lizzy Lou said:

To help guide the priorities of the developers you can either post your suggestion in this forum by creating a new post and marking it as IDEA or you can submit your request for bugs/features. by entering into the field "Something not listed? Tell us:" here: http://www.quicken.com/mac/feedback
    These are the surest way for them to see your request. 

If you opt to use the site, note that the field may appear small but you can type in quite a bit. If you want to provide more details than can fit in the field, I suggest you add them here, then submit the link to this thread in your feedback. Take the time to also vote on any of the listed features that Quicken is considering.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to flag it as such, so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

John, et. al.:  I doubt that Reconcile caused previously any previously reconciled transactions (green circle with white check mark) to change to cleared transactions (blue square with black check mark) or uncleared transactions (white or blank square).

The more likely reason for the transaction status in the Clr column to have been changed is the changes to the database schema in QM2016 3.5.1.  To accomplish this, I suspect that Quicken had to export the old QM2016 3.4.1 database and, then, replay all of the transactions to construct the new QM2016 3.5.1 database.

I continue to use Quicken Premier as Quicken Mac does not yet support the investment transactions that I need to complete the transition to Quicken Mac.  As a result, I frequently import my latest Quicken Premier database into Quicken Mac.

Except for the current month's activity at the time I import my Quicken Premier database, all transactions in my database are marked as reconciled.  I can assure you based on my experience that previously reconciled transactions can become cleared or uncleared transactions when the transactions are replayed during the import procedure.  In addition, you can't readily predict which transactions will have their state changed from reconciled.  In addition, there is this strange behavior where the pending transaction (orange pencil) status is set in the Status column of reconciled transactions.

Some of this might be attributable to imported transactions on a given day being processed in the reverse order from which they originally occurred.  However, this is more of a problem in investment accounts where a stock split which Quicken Mac supports and a sale of the fractional shares occurs on the same day.  The latter is processed first causing the split transaction to calculate the number of shares incorrectly and creating a Placeholder entry for the "missing" shares.

At any rate, Reconcile does not cause any transactions to change from reconciled to cleared or uncleared.  The most likely culprit for the changes is the replaying of transactions to create the new database.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    IDEA:  I have a suggestion for what I hope would be an easy feature to
    implement - the Budget "Home" page allows you to look at a 1 month or 12
    month budget, but for a 12 month budget, it presets the date range you
    can look at (basically first of current year to current date).  However,
    that skews my ability to really assess my performance, because it
    always includes the current, incomplete month.  What I'd really like to
    see is my YTD performance through the last EOM (last day of the last
    month).  While it would be great to be able to select a full date range
    (especially as history under this tool accumulates and I want to see
    months/quarters from prior years, etc.), I would settle right now just
    to be able to accurately assess my to-date performance as of the last
    end of month.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just installed the latest update, and now my accounts won't download and update. Each time I click the update button, it searches for about 1 second, then makes it appear it is done but never shows any new transactions nor updates the latest "update time" at the bottom left hand of the screen.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Trying to download from USAA.  Getting error 127.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lizzy Lou said:

As a retiree, I find the Budget feature/tool totally useless.

While QM2016 does a relatively decent job of creating a preliminary budget for my expenses based on last year's spending, my biggest gripe is that it does not include all of the income needed to pay the expenses that it reports.

The preliminary budget generated by QM2016 does include Social Security benefits as income; however, this is not enough to pay all of the expenses included in the budget.  It does not include any income that I earn in my brokerage accounts in the budget.  Nor does it include any of my RMD withdrawals from my retirement accounts that I must take now that I am over 70-1/2 as income.  This is really strange as the Federal and State income taxes that are withheld from my RMD are included as expenses in the budget.

This highlights a fundamental logic flaw in QM2016.  QM2016 examines all accounts and only includes the categories with a non-zero value in the budget.  My tax-related, income category, IRA Distribution, because it is withdrawn from a retirement account and deposited into a bank or brokerage account.  As a result, the IRA Distribution category has a net value of $0.00 and is not included in the budget.

IRA Distribution is recognized as a valid income category.  I can edit the budget and include the category in the budget,  It will be included under income but no income will ever be included in the budget.

This fundamental logic flaw impacts those with mortgages and those that have 401(k) contributions deducted from their paychecks.

The suggestion in one of these comments to exclude an account from being included in reports doesn't work.  The selection logic includes all accounts except those that are hidden in lists.

It would be nice if Quicken would fix the fundamental logic flaws in Quicken Mac and correct their existing reports before embarking on any projects to include new features and reports to the product.  The one exception that I would make to this is for a standard way to include or exclude accounts from all reports.
  • Greydog9928
    Greydog9928 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have always been updated and used the most recent version of Quicken Mac 2016.  I updated to 3.5.1 and reconciled to my online balances automatically.  Prior to the updated I had no unreconciled/uncleared transactions, ALL my transactions were reconciled/cleared prior to 3.5.1.  After update to 3.5.1 with the new reconciliation method, I have several account balances that do not match my online balance for reconciliation.  I have read some of the above listed explanations but I do not understand why this is happening if all my previous transactions were reconciled.  

What is the correct way to handle this?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    updated to 3.5.1, now when I try to update accounts the "updating transactions" popup just sits there and after a while quicken stops responding and needs to be force quit
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Marcus - how are we supposed to contact support?  your hours are exactly the hours of my commute/work hours.  When I try to contact via chat the link takes me to your corporate address.  Are we supposed to write for support?  You all have completely screwed up the download system - You all had it locked in the windows version.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Charles said:

Don't know if this is the best forum for my problem, but here goes.  Received two program updates(Quicken-7.qif, and -8.qif.  When I attempt to install them I get  "...Safari can't open the file because no available application can open it".
    Second problem, all worked fine when first purchased a few days ago, now when I attempt to "Update all accounts online", I get the following:  can't connect to (my banks name) because Safari can't connect to the server".  Very odd, because I can connect using Safari outside of Quicken

The basic problem is that the Mac version is horrible.  Just horrible.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bfrank said:

Just wanted to say "Bravo" to the Quicken Mac Team for adding the ability to Reconcile using your Online Balance!

What a major timesaver!

Great work!

This would be a fabulous timesaver - if the download feature worked correctly
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I have always been updated and used the most recent version of Quicken Mac 2016.  I updated to 3.5.1 and reconciled to my online balances automatically.  Prior to the updated I had no unreconciled/uncleared transactions, ALL my transactions were reconciled/cleared prior to 3.5.1.  After update to 3.5.1 with the new reconciliation method, I have several account balances that do not match my online balance for reconciliation.  I have read some of the above listed explanations but I do not understand why this is happening if all my previous transactions were reconciled.  

Ditto.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    How can I revert to the QM version before 3.5?    I seem to recall that during the 3.5.x install, it mentioned that a backup was taken before the file conversion.   Where is that backup *and* how can I get a version of QM before 3.5.

As mentioned in other groups, QM 3.5.x doesn't work with bill pay, that is, I can no longer pay bills with QM.   So I need to revert to an early version until Quicken resolves this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

How can I revert to the QM version before 3.5?    I seem to recall that during the 3.5.x install, it mentioned that a backup was taken before the file conversion.   Where is that backup *and* how can I get a version of QM before 3.5.

As mentioned in other groups, QM 3.5.x doesn't work with bill pay, that is, I can no longer pay bills with QM.   So I need to revert to an early version until Quicken resolves this.

I think if you have quicken open, go to Help>Show Backups in Finder, that's where it should have made the backup for old db version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Bingo - thanks.   But now how can I find a < 3.5 version of QM that I can restore?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

NM - I used Time Machine to restore QM back to 3.4.1.   I'll run this until QM fixes this bill pay issue.    To summarize, bill pay worked fine before 3.5.   The Bill Pay shows green.  After the 3.5.1 upgrade, Bill Pay no longer functions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Update: I got around the bug. Here is the procedure.
    1. When you notice that the Add Cost Basis line shows up in the Portfolio, click Add Transaction. Put in an estimated cost, or if you want to compute the exact price, go for it. Leave the date as it recommends. We will eventually change it. Memo Field: Bug
    2. Add a transaction for today that undoes the above transaction. Memo Field: Bug. Make sure that a new Add Cost Basis does not show up to correct for the correction. It did not for me, this time, but it has depending on the date I use.
    3. Change the date of these two transactions, so that the Add Cost Basis correction is two days before the closing date of the statement, and the correction of the correction is the next date. If Add Cost Basis comes back, play with the dates until it goes away.
    4. If all is good, reconcile.
  • Greydog9928
    Greydog9928 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

I also notice they give you options to "start fresh" or add an "adjustment".  Starting fresh does nothing in my situation.  It would be much more helpful if they explain why a user picks one or another option.  Also it would be very interesting to know why these differences and unbalanced accounts are showing up when everything is reconciled previously.
This discussion has been closed.