Add true multi-currency conversion support in Quicken for Mac (317 Legacy/Merged Votes)

1234568»

Comments

• lwebs
    lwebs Member ✭✭
    No clue is the operative phrase here.
    And as already noted, currency conversion has been a feature of Quicken for Windows for sometime.
    Way past time to add it to the Mac version.
    MacOS, a unix based operating system, is growing in popularity at Windows expense.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/
  • Multi-Currency support is a must. Banktivity handles it very well but their connectivity doesn't work well so I am back to Quicken.
  • dan93230
    dan93230 Member

MoneyWiz seems to do it all. But I'm currently naively holding on to Q in hope it will come soon to Mac

• Carlos Letelier
    Carlos Letelier Member ✭✭
    Multi-currency support in Quicken for Mac should be as good as the Windows version. I am a Quicken user for more than 20 years. I started in Windows and changed to Mac since 2017. I've been waiting 6 years for the right support in this platform.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023

Hello @Carlos Letelier,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭✭
    Let me concur. I've been a Quicken user for I think almost 25 years. The earliest transaction in my Quicken file is 1997. I've struggled with Quicken a long time and the major deficiencies for me are 1) true multicurrency including consolidated reporting and link transactions across currency, 2) support for additional banks (has anyone at Quicken looked at SaltEdge?), 3) automated securities pricing for fixed income securities and greater support for non-US markets, and 4) Investment reporting.

I'm almost ready to move to another platform if I could find support for those items. While I know that Quicken doesn't want to provide dates for product enhancements, I'd sure like to know the product road map and get an idea of my needs are not on it or may be years away. Carlos has been waiting six years for some of these things. Some of my needs were in prior versions of Quicken for Mac and removed when Quicken was rebuilt years back.

Can someone provide guidance?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023

@mark303 The only guidance anyone can offer is noting the status of the various Idea threads. This one for multi-currency support is marked as "Planned." That means it is definitely on the developers' schedule. But we have no idea whether it's coming in two months or two years. Quicken just doesn't divulge that information.

I believe we'll see #1 (multi-currency support) and #4 (investment reports) at some point, but I have no idea when. As for #2 (adding a specific bank), that's entirely up to the bank; Quicken doesn't recruit banks, and they can't get added to the program unless they sign on with Quicken/Intuit to do so. Customers of the bank who use Quicken should lobby the bank's support team to add support for Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • adsoft2015
    adsoft2015 Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023

I love that Quicken offers the ability to create multiple currency accounts. However, transferring funds between accounts is still a bit hokey. When you transfer between accounts with different currencies, Quicken creates an unlinked transfer using the currency conversion rate of the moment. I would like to see Quicken improve this feature, by persisting the currency rate, so that I can change the unlaying amount and the linked account will be updated with the new amount using the saved currency rate. Ideally I should be able to change the currency conversion as well if I move the transaction to a new date and the currency rate changes.

Quicken user since 1992... Version 1!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2023

Hello @adsoft2015,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• lwebs
    lwebs Member ✭✭

A number of us have been requesting this feature for some time now. Any idea of an ETA?

• jacobs
    edited October 2023

@lwebs Unfortunately, I have never seen Quicken state an ETA for any promised feature. This one, in particular, is extremely complex because it touches almost every area of the program, from the sidebar to registers to the database to reports to dashboards to budgets… So I'm not surprised there's a long development time to build this functionality. But it would be great if we knew whether they've been working on it for six months or they haven't started and won't until next year — and they just don't give out that sort of information.

• isheer
    isheer Member ✭✭

I understand that full multi currency support is challenging. Some low hanging fruit like a net worth report which converts non-$ holding into equivalent $ values would go a long way towards filling in missing gaps. This should be easy since it is alread done on the sidebar…

• jacobs
    edited October 2023

@isheer I agree; they could and should do this piece by piece, knowing that some users will complain that it still doesn't work everywhere. My observation of the way Quicken often works on issues like this is the opposite, however: they scope out the problem to be solved, and aim to implement a comprehensive solution. That means they won't do one easy piece, such as an on-the-fly-conversion on a net worth report, because it's likely that coding work would be discarded or re-written when they implement a comprehensive multi-currency solution. (Another glaring example of this is with budgets, where there is no way to get an actual-versus-budget report as of a user-specified date; they apparently have to do major rewriting of the budget code to implement other budget features users have asked for, and as a result, they won't do a small piece like the budget report until they undertake the larger budget re-write.) I partly understand: no software engineering company wants to expend time on programming which they know will only have a short life before they need to re-do the work. On the other hand, this leaves users without crucial functionality which might be relatively easy to achieve for years and years.

• bkmurphy
    bkmurphy Member
    edited October 2023

I am using the multi-currency function for Quicken for Mac with accounts in USD and MXN. I have successfully added my MXN accounts (and corresponding transactions), but I can only see my USD transactions when I look at the dashboard statistics. Can you please add the option of aggregating all accounts under Reports, Dashboards, etc. across all account currencies?

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023

Hello @bkmurphy,

Thank you for sharing your idea. Since there was already an Idea requesting the same functionality, I merged your request with the existing Idea thread.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Yield Chaser
    Yield Chaser Member ✭✭

Multi-currency support, similar to Quicken Windows is needed in Quicken for Mac.

The current implementation is clunky (using the 'Transfer' category to make transactions between accounts based on different currencies).

And reports are inaccurate, such as Net Work in the Home Dashboard not actually displaying Net Worth as it only shows net work in base currency.

And switching all manners of reports between currencies needs to also have an option to create a single report with all transactions from all currencies exchanged to one currency (selected by the user).

• Yield Chaser
    Yield Chaser Member ✭✭

Thanks, it's good to see it's planned. Maybe having some more upvotes here could help move along when it will actually be implemented.

• jacobs

It's good to see it's planned. Maybe having some more upvotes here could help move along when it will actually be implemented.

That's not the way it works. When the developers mark an Idea thread as "Planned", it signifies that they have assigned it time on their calendar. Schedules often slip for a variety of reasons, but "Planned" Ideas remove the ability for users to vote because the reason for voting — to convince the developers to implement the Idea — has been accomplished.

The moderators also don't allow multiple Idea posts for the same feature requests, because it only fragments user comments and discussion. Your thread here will likely be merged into the existing Idea thread for this topic.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Yield Chaser,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Exactly the same feelings here. I migrated to Quicken for Mac after more than 20 years of Quicken for Windows and profoundly regret it. Lack of actual multi-currency support in the dashboard and reporting is a real issue impacting the usability of the product. It's making me consider alternatives. I also very much wish that I could use the old home screen from the Windows version and not be stuck with the "new" version as appears to be my only option on the Mac.

• KellyFord
    KellyFord Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023

Would be great to have a report option that in addition to showing each currency separately, combines currencies into one designated primary one, The basic would be to have other currencies converted and combined and today's spot FX rate. Super bonus (maybe an option) would be to have the historic FX applied on perhaps an end of month basis. This would be helpful, for example, to examine total spending over time by category with all currencies combined into one.

[Merged Post]

• Hello @KellyFord,

Thank you for coming to the Community to share your idea! Since there is already an existing Idea asking for similar functionality, your Idea was merged with the existing thread.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina