Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Product Enhancements (Mac)

Quicken for Mac: keyboard shortcut to switch accounts? (22 Legacy Votes)

hardwickdhardwickd Member ✭✭
I have multiple accounts that I frequently have to switch between.  Whenever possible I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts instead of using the trackpad, is there a keyboard shortcut that will let me switch from one account to another? Thanks!

Be sure to add your VOTEclick the little grey triangle under the VOTE count in the blue banner below, so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register). 
(If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted).

Your VOTES matter!
Tagged:
5 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There isn't a keyboard shortcut at this time. You haven't overlooked anything.
  • hardwickdhardwickd Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Rats!  It would be a nice feature to have...
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE for other features related to Data Entry and Usability Options and Features

First, click on the underlined link, then be sure to scroll down the page, as it contains a list of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.) 
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    One nice way for Quicken to implement this would be to add a hierarchical Account menu to the Accounts menu (yes, I realize that's redundant sounding). This menu could contain items Banking, Investing, Property & Debt. The Banking submenu would contain items Cash, Credit Card, Savings. Each of these sub-sub menus would contain a list of the (non-hidden) accounts of that type. Making it hierarchical like this would keep the flat account list from getting too long. 

The advantage of this approach is that the user could then use the macOS built-in keyboard preferences to assign shortcuts to accounts using whatever scheme they wish, without any constraints imposed by Quicken. It would also eliminate the need for Quicken to develop a whole separate interface for assigning shortcuts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • hardwickdhardwickd Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

One nice way for Quicken to implement this would be to add a hierarchical Account menu to the Accounts menu (yes, I realize that's redundant sounding). This menu could contain items Banking, Investing, Property & Debt. The Banking submenu would contain items Cash, Credit Card, Savings. Each of these sub-sub menus would contain a list of the (non-hidden) accounts of that type. Making it hierarchical like this would keep the flat account list from getting too long. 

The advantage of this approach is that the user could then use the macOS built-in keyboard preferences to assign shortcuts to accounts using whatever scheme they wish, without any constraints imposed by Quicken. It would also eliminate the need for Quicken to develop a whole separate interface for assigning shortcuts.

I agree completely - great suggestion!
    edited November 2019

Thanks. I will add that if they do it this way, they should add a user preference for whether the account is opened in a new window or just switched to in the main window.
  • Scott RoseScott Rose Member ✭✭✭✭
    One little hidden gem/feature of Quicken Mac 2007 that we really loved was the ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to different accounts, so we could quickly jump to different accounts with keyboard shortcuts. It would be great if we could have that feature in the new Quicken for Mac! :)
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! While it's not too hard to click on an account in the left sidebar, I always liked jumping between accounts via keyboard shortcuts. I'd love to see this in modern Quicken.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited January 28
    Yup...this has been raised before. Meanwhile, you can add your VOTEclick the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register). 
    (If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted).

Your VOTES matter!

[edited to remove self-referencing link]
    I used the macro maker Keyboard Maestro to click the sidebar accounts triggered by keyboard combinations. It takes a bit of work to set it up, but it's an adequate workaround for the time being.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    I used the macro maker Keyboard Maestro to click the sidebar accounts triggered by keyboard combinations. It takes a bit of work to set it up, but it's an adequate workaround for the time being.
    But it shouldn't require outside, paid software to do something pretty basic and simple like this. As you wrote higher up in this thread, even if Quicken merely listed the accounts in a menu, it would then be feasible for any user to create keyboard shortcuts built into macOS.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Scott RoseScott Rose Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great point, @jacobs! If Quicken simply listed the Accounts in a standard Mac menu, we could use macOS to assign keyboard shortcuts (for free!) to those Account Names!