List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
The following list captures the features missing from current versions of Quicken for Mac that are obstacles and hindrances, preventing users of QM2007 or QWin from migrating to the latest versions of Quicken for Mac. If these areas are resolved, it would open up the path for these users to finally make a move.

To be clear, obstacles defined here refer to situations that are a complete block to migrating to Quicken for Mac, whereas hindrances are limitations that have work-arounds, though they may be far from desirable or even practical.

Links to any request for a missing feature that is an obstacle or hindrance and has been posted as an IDEA have been captured here, so you can continue to add your vote to those requests to help increase their visibility to the developers.

(Unfortunately, if missing features are not posted or are posted as problems or questions in the forum, they are not captured here as their can be multiples and therefore harder to gather (maybe that will change).)

Obstacles from QM2007 - Show-stoppers preventing migration (due to severe loss of functionality or data with no suitable work-arounds):

- In particular, these 3 report formats and related features (if designed properly, like in QM2007, these are the basis for creating most other outstanding reports missing in Quicken for Mac).

(You can read about the overaching report design here: Request for Customizable Reporting Engine)
Unsure as to whether the following are show-stoppers or hindrances
  • investment stats?

Hindrances From QM2007 - not obstacles but definitely lead to data loss
(therefore may still be a limitation to migration, even though some of which can be reconstructed)

Obstacles from QWin - show-stoppers on top of the ones listed for QM2007 (not including H&B and RPM)
For those wanting to migrate from QWin H&B, you may want to add your vote to Will there be a Quicken Home and Business for Mac in the future?

Hindrances From QWin - not obstacles but definitely lead to data loss (therefore may still be a limitation to migration, even though some of which can be reconstructed)

There are other losses of functionality that are not show-stoppers, which makes things more clumsy, but there are work-arounds; yet too many of these at the same time becomes frustrating
 and less efficient and slower to work with.

Other considerations - Being able to move data in and out of Quicken for Mac.

Though these are not obstacles to migrating to Quicken for Mac per se, they relate to to managing the risk factor of migrating to Quicken for Mac. Having the ability to move data out can give users a level of comfort and confidence that they are not locked in should something not work out after a period of usage. For these, consider the following:
BTW, if you see any other obstacles or hindrances that have not been mentioned, please add your comments below. But focus your comments on items that absolutely prevent you from migrating or a suitable work-around is not very practical.

If an incentive is required to focus on addressing these needs, Quicken should consider the untapped revenue that can help fund this effort:
  • one time new revenue from QWin migrators
  • ongoing new revenue from QM2007 migrators entering new upgrade cycles
  • ongoing new license and support revenue from FIs/Banks for Mac support (from my limited understanding on Quicken licensing and support)

The hope is that, regardless of votes these feature requests/IDEAS garner in this forum or elsewhere, the need to address these requests and the benefit to Quicken will be recognized.

If you have not already voted on the above requests, be sure to click on the each link above to go therethen click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

If you find this post helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to promote this post and therefore its visibility to other users (to encourage them to vote) and to the developers.

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Tagged:

Comments

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for that summary.  I finally made the move from QM2007 when Quicken implemented 12 month budgets and haven't looked back.  I'm hoping and trusting that Quicken keeps advancing this program.  I like what I've seen so far, but there are things I still miss from QM2007 and features that I'd like to have.  Hopefully more people will make the jump and Marcus and his team keep improving this program.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Glad it has worked out for you. For me, coming from QM2007, my obstacles are:
    1. reports (HUGE problem) - too many types and features lacking
    2. reports carry over (I have so many...rebuilding from scratch would be painful, but they have to have equivalent capabilities first (see 1.)
    3. subclasses, and mostly the ability to batch edit newly created tags efficiently (too many in splits) to fit my needs
    4. Investment Lots management (lower problem but I would lose data moving forward)
    Sure there is other functionality still missing but those are not show-stoppers. BUT I CAN'T migrate even if I want to until the 1st and 3rd are dealt with. At that point, I will have to decide how to handle 2 and 4 if they are not addressed. So for me, there is still a long way to go.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just to be clear on the list above, ALL show-stoppers and hindrances for QM2007 are ALSO such for QWin migrators. QWin users simply have additional show-stoppers and hindrances, as noted above.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Also, to my bullet about new Revenue for Quicken:
    • one time new revenue from QWin migrators
    This may or may not be significant because many QWin users wanting to migrate to QMac may time it such that instead of buying their upgrade for the next version of QWin, will instead purchase the newest version of QMac. The result will be a decrease in QWin sales and an increase of QMac sales, so the net benefit may be diminished.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2019
    Nicely summed up, I've been a Quicken for Mac user since v4, October 1991 forward. I have upgraded my wife's macbook and I'm willing to purchase QM 2017 to play and encourage future development but can not migrate until reporting is functional for our needs.
  • julian
    julian Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Just to be clear on the list above, ALL show-stoppers and hindrances for QM2007 are ALSO such for QWin migrators. QWin users simply have additional show-stoppers and hindrances, as noted above.

The incorrect "import" of multi currency transactions fm QWin is a major show stopper for me and probably many others. To make it clear - the lack of full handling of multi currency would not stop me from switching but the "funny" way transfer transactions are imported is a "no-go".
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Just to capture your point here, you mention in this post Multiple currency support in Quicken for MAC 2017 that your obstacle is that QMac does not currently import your currency conversion data from QWin. If it did at least that, it would be sufficient until such time as the full conversion functionality is developed. Correct?

• Dave in SF
    Dave in SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I finally moved to Quicken for Mac 2017 last month (from QFM 2007) but it has not been a smooth transition and I continue to have problems, primarily with Quicken Bill Pay.

I had to set up a new Quicken Bill Pay account (for reasons I don't completely understand.)  But when I go to make a payment to a previously-established payee from QFM17, the application creates that payee in the new QBP account, BUT IT DOES NOT INSERT THE CORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER, instead substituting what seems to be nonsense numbers.  If I had not gone to the QBP website and reviewed each payee, I would not have known this was happening, and all of my QBP payments would have gone astray, creating a huge mess with recipients receiving payments with no way to know where to credit them.  THIS IS A MAJOR BUG!

And I cannot find ANY way in QFM17 to view or edit the payee information, so I have to do this complicated dance, where I sent them payment, QFM creates erroneous payee information in QBP and transmits my payment.  Then I have to go log in to QBP on the web, delete the payment which was sent, edit the payee to correct the account number, then manually add the payment that I was forced to delete.

The whole interface in QFM relating to bill payment is really unfriendly and not transparent, in my opinion.  I'm glad to finally have the functionality there, but I am wishing I had not migrated from Quicken 2007.  I think QFM is still not ready for prime time.
  • julian
    julian Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Correct. At least for me, having the transfer transactions between accounts in different currencies imported with the values they had in windows (not with changed values as QM17 does) would be enough for now. Anyhow I assume most of the users do not expect the wonders an automated handling anytime soon (given the different rates, fees etc.) and in any case do not expect the with transactions in the past.
  • julian
    julian Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Also since my major file is the one with mixed currencies - if I don's see a fix within the 6-7 weeks I will give up this year again (I am trying for the third year in a row) and ask for my money back.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Implementing full multi-currency support is not a small task as it touches so many areas of the program. Based on the chatter so far, I can assure you this is not something that will be addressed in such a short time. And unfortunately, Quicken rarely pre-announces features they are releasing, so there is no telling when this might be implemented.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• julian
    julian Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Importing from Qw transactions as they where entered is definitely not a big deal (I have a hard time understanding why they did what they did in )
  • julian
    julian Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Importing from Qw transactions as they where entered is definitely not a big deal (I have a hard time understanding why they did what they did in QM17). The transaction and the values in every currency are already in QW. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

True enough. This could be a good first step in to at least bring over the data until such time as they develop full multi-currency.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Need to clarify one item:
    Unless the current Quicken for Mac makes changes to the way Sub-Classes from QM2007 are converted to Tags, 
    Batch Editing to include changing Split transactions
    should be classified as a showstopper for users like myself that will need to clean up LOTS of transactions using such things as  tags, since the new Quicken for Mac does not currently preserve sub-Classes used in QM2007 in the same way. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    When I installed Quicken for Mac, the migration tool from Quicken Windows 2015 gave me terrible errors.  Account balances and share balances were way off.  Not a little, but a lot off.  Truly unusable.  Not to mention the lack of being able to transfer attachments.  I could live without attachments, but major balance errors during migration is a critical and fatal flaw.  I had to stay with the Windows version, using CrossOver, a less than satisfactory solution.  Completely unacceptable.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

When I installed Quicken for Mac, the migration tool from Quicken Windows 2015 gave me terrible errors.  Account balances and share balances were way off.  Not a little, but a lot off.  Truly unusable.  Not to mention the lack of being able to transfer attachments.  I could live without attachments, but major balance errors during migration is a critical and fatal flaw.  I had to stay with the Windows version, using CrossOver, a less than satisfactory solution.  Completely unacceptable.

Note that the conversion process has been significantly improved. That said, common reasons for balances not being accurate is that QMac does not support linked accounts to brokerage accounts, so entry with BuyX, SellX, etc do not convert, data has to be modified/unlinked beforehand; the other being the creation of placeholder entries...once these are removed, things often balance. 

These may not have been your issues, but those are frequently the cause.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thank you.  That was probably the main cause.  However, I have hundreds, or rather, thousands, of linked account transactions over many, many years -or decades- of records.  Thus, manual "fixing" is completely unfeasible and unpractical.  Other than waiting for Quicken to fix this issue, can you suggest any other way of dealing with this issue?   I also have many "Placeholder" entries over the same number of years, but the number is much smaller.  Is there somewhere to "Vote" for Quicken to "fix" this migration problem, which must be quite common, I would think.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Yes, as per the link above, you can add your VOTE for the Ability to link accounts to brokerage accounts.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

As for placeholder entries, if they exist in your QWin data file, then presumably they have been reconciled, so would be valid and should be carried over as is. I was only speaking of NEW placeholders that may get created during migration, so it sounds on the surface that these should not be an issue.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I think that the issue of migrating data from Qw with linked accounts merits its own entry among the "Obstacles".  As I said, I can live without linked accounts, but I cannot use Qm if I cannot migrate many, many years worth of Qw transaction data, because of fatal data errors. That is a critical and fatal issue for me, and I suspect, for many potential Qm users.  Thanks.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Not sure what you mean...the IDEA request above IS the solution, as far as I understand it...to be able to bring over the linked data there needs to be the same functionality...unless you are suggesting that Quicken convert that data to eliminate linked data...(BUT that would not satisfy all migrators). Is that what you mean?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Ok, just read your comment on the IDEA thread. So if that is what you mean, then I understand the need to explicitly point this out, though it has been Quicken's pattern (though not a guarantee) to add the data mapping to the conversion/migration tool once the functionality exists in QMac.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

It would also help if I knew what data was being downloaded from the investment account. What is the format for the data? Does QM17 use the same format as QW? It's hard to ask the right questions when communicating with the investment account support.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Discovered another obstacle. So the following item needs to be added to the first list above: 
    Obstacles from QM2007 - Show-stoppers preventing migration (which affects QWin users too)

Consider adding your VOTE to Add ability to handle Buy/Sell of investments and Transfer effectively.

And remember to add your votes to any of the other obstacles listed above.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments and/or the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Any suggestions for migrating from QM2006 to 2017? I created a .qif file, but QM17 can't open it.
  • Michael 102
    Michael 102 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Which of these issues does the marketing department think have been resolved in Quicken Mac 2018, but aren't really resolved?

I just bought Q2018 to see if I could finally use the application, since it allegedly supports loan amortization, but I found some problems after I imported my Quicken Mac 2007 data file:
    • No support for loaning money to someone else and calculating the loan payments. We loaned some money to a family member to help him with his business. I can no longer track that loan.
    • My home loan comes over without amortization. What's up with that? I'm not completely certain if I can manually set up the amortization in the imported data file. It's strange. Support told me to connect it to the loaning bank and everything would just work, but it doesn't want to connect to that bank at this time.
    • Memorized reports don't migrate.
    • I find the reporting engine in 2018 to be very deficient compared to 2007. I don't have all the report-building options and there are reports I can't make (for example, show me non-reconciled transactions).
    • Direct Connect with my bank that worked fine in 2007 isn't working for me in 2018. I guess I'll have to call my bank's tech support and see if they can help.
    • It added a ton of new categories that I didn't have in 2007. At least I found an option to remove unused categories, but I really didn't like all those new categories appearing.
    Also, I find I miss the open line for entering transactions. It's more typing to get things entered, open splits, etc. I am finding keyboard shortcuts, so maybe I'll survive (and I'll have to train my wife on what I figure out). 

I also find the mouse tracking on the left account sidebar and the menu at the top is strange. The tracking highlights can be several seconds behind the mouse movement. Quicken support saw it on a screen session, too.

So, I don't know if I'm going to take advantage of the money-back guarantee yet, or not. Some of my problems may be showstoppers :(
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Which of these issues does the marketing department think have been resolved in Quicken Mac 2018, but aren't really resolved?

I just bought Q2018 to see if I could finally use the application, since it allegedly supports loan amortization, but I found some problems after I imported my Quicken Mac 2007 data file:

• No support for loaning money to someone else and calculating the loan payments. We loaned some money to a family member to help him with his business. I can no longer track that loan.
    • My home loan comes over without amortization. What's up with that? I'm not completely certain if I can manually set up the amortization in the imported data file. It's strange. Support told me to connect it to the loaning bank and everything would just work, but it doesn't want to connect to that bank at this time.
    • I find the reporting engine in 2018 to be very deficient compared to 2007. I don't have all the report-building options and there are reports I can't make (for example, show me non-reconciled transactions).
    • Direct Connect with my bank that worked fine in 2007 isn't working for me in 2018. I guess I'll have to call my bank's tech support and see if they can help.
    • It added a ton of new categories that I didn't have in 2007. At least I found an option to remove unused categories, but I really didn't like all those new categories appearing.
    Also, I find I miss the open line for entering transactions. It's more typing to get things entered, open splits, etc. I am finding keyboard shortcuts, so maybe I'll survive (and I'll have to train my wife on what I figure out). 

I also find the mouse tracking on the left account sidebar and the menu at the top is strange. The tracking highlights can be several seconds behind the mouse movement. Quicken support saw it on a screen session, too.

So, I don't know if I'm going to take advantage of the money-back guarantee yet, or not. Some of my problems may be showstoppers
    Good feedback...I recommend that you go to each applicable link for each of the points you brought up, add your vote at the top of each page, and transfer your respective comments to each also.

Your VOTES matter!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

So, I don't know if I'm going to take advantage of the money-back guarantee yet, or not. Some of my problems may be showstoppers
    • No support for loaning money to someone else and calculating the loan payments. I can no longer track that loan.

You're correct that it only handles the most common types of loans, for things like home or auto loans with fixed interest rates. The product manager has said they will add more loan functionality in the future.

But you *can* track the loan. Since you would have to enter the transactions manually (e.g. they're not downloaded from a financial institution), it's not hard to track. You have an asset account for the amount of money you loaned, and an interest income category for the interest they are paying you back. If you are following a regular payment schedule with interest, use any of a number of online website calculators to create an amortization spreadsheet/report showing the amount of interest and principal for each remaining loan payment you'll receive. Set up a recurring transaction with a split between the loan asset account and the interest income category. Each month, or from time to time, open the transaction(s) and adjust the split amounts to correspond to the amortization schedule. It will take you a few minutes to set up initially, but then literally less than a minute each month. 

• My home loan comes over without amortization. What's up with that? I'm not completely certain if I can manually set up the amortization in the imported data file.

I'm not sure what you mean that it "comes over without amortization." Are you referring to your imported file from Quicken 2007, or a transaction you download from your bank? What you download will never include a split between interest and principal; you need to set this up in Quicken. If you create such a recurring transaction, and drag the download transaction over it, Quicken will "learn" to use that split in the future. Alternatively, you can take your existing loan account and convert it to an amortized loan in Quicken; open the settings for your loan account and click on the Convert to Loan button to go through the set up process.

Correct. The report engine in Quicken 2018 is significantly different than Quicken 2007, so there's no viable way to migrate existing memorized reports. Some would be easy for them to do, but some simply don't exist in Quicken 2018 yet. Even once they finish building out the functionality in Quicken 2018 reports -- we've been led to expect significant movement int his area in the year ahead -- it's not at all certain whether they'll go back to engineer a conversion process for the ever-declining number of users still on Quicken 2007; it might happen or it might not.

Absolutely, this is the number one shortcoming of Quicken 2018 right now, and it has been acknowledged by the product manager as an area they are focusing on improving. Right now, Quicken 2018 has a new report engine, but it's only set up for a limited number of reports. Supposedly, we'll see this blossom over the next year into a much more robust set of reports to fill this gaping hole. We'll have to wait to see how much is added how quickly.

In theory it should work, unless your bank no longer supports Quicken for Mac. If you post in the new thread here about your problem and name the specific bank, there may be users here who can help advise you, or look to see if your bank offers Direct Connect support.

I think it starts with a default set of categories, and then imports yours from 2007. there are features in Quicken 2018 which depend on certain categories being present, so they can't start with nothing and only use the ones which import. As you've noted, if you want, you can delete many of the categories you don't want to use -- a one-time set-up annoyance that's part of the migration process, I suppose.
      Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    • Unknown
      Unknown Member
      edited November 2019

Be aware that Direct Connect with your bank might generate a fee. My bank charged $8 per month for downloading 5-10 transactions per month to Quicken; there was no charge for online banking including bill pay. Manual entry doesn't take that long. I moved to another bank that doesn't charge.
    • Michael 102
      Michael 102 Member ✭✭
      edited November 2019

My bank with direct connect is Bank of the West. They don't charge consumer accounts a fee to use direct connect or bill pay. Yay! I've changed banks a few times over the years to ones where I can get direct connect without additional charges. It seems whenever a bank gets purchased or taken over by another bank the first thing they do is raise fees and I flee to another bank.

I spoke with Bank of the West tech support tonight and it looks like I got direct connect working with Quicken 2018 now. We really don't know why it wasn't happy and we really didn't do anything, but, suddenly, it started working.

Regarding loans to other people: yes, I know I could manually track it, but that kind of takes the QUICK out of QUICKen. That's why I have software to do this stuff, so I don't have to think about it, calculate the split, etc. 

With my home loan: I meant when I imported Q2007 -> Q2018 that it doesn't come over as a loan and doesn't know my payments, etc. There's some "convert to loan" button, but I haven't figured out that screen yet to see if it does what I need it to do. That's an experiment for another evening.

I'm glad to hear they are working on reporting enhancements for Quicken 2018. That's a big drawback right now.

jacobs mentioned that some features of Quicken depend on certain categories. What are those features/categories? Maybe I need to rename certain things in my old Quicken before importing it so I don't mess up features in the new Quicken?