Budget Rollover Report (46 Legacy Votes, +4 Merged Votes)

Options
124»

Comments

• charlimcghee
    charlimcghee Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, I am so very sorry for Quicken's problems (perhaps reduce profit and add more employees??) And clearly, you misunderstood or simply chose to misrepresent my statement. In no world, would waiting over 5 years for anything fall into the category of being impatient as you put it. "So while you can say you don't want to hear about their problems and just want it done —Now, if not yesterday, I understand". And in italics no less!! There goes YOUR credibility. We are now done with your man-splaining. Thank you.

• Macuser24
    Macuser24 Member
    Options

One of the things I loved about Mint was the ability to roll-over overages and underages from month to month. This should be available on Mac version

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Macuser24,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Out of curiosity, I was wondering when in fact Quicken Windows got rollovers. In Quicken Windows 2011, this is what the budget window looked like (no rollovers and several other features):

In Quicken Windows 2012 the totally rewrote it. And tons of people's reaction? "Bring back the old one!" (No rollovers, no annual view)

Revamped in Quicken Windows 2013 because of all the complaints. Annual view and rollovers. So, it took Intuit 3 years to do this, and if I remember correctly this is about the only major change to Quicken Windows at the time. Not like Quicken Mac where there are tons of features that need to be recreated. And the Windows developer group even today is bigger than the Quicken Mac one (and has more customers).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Samuel Parker
    Options

It is irresponsible to offer QMac Classic without the budget rollover feature. Fix it now, please.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Samuel Parker,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• andyring
    andyring Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja OK so rollover is in the "active idea thread" for Quicken Mac.

When will it ACTUALLY HAPPEN?

Literally the whole reason my wife and I started our budget was so we could easily roll over unused funds from month to month. So we have expenses that are annual but we want to set aside money each month for them. Car registrations for instance.

On the Mac version, how else are we supposed to account for arrangements like that?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

When will it ACTUALLY HAPPEN?

We don't know. The moderators don't know. Only the development team knows when it's planned — and their schedules often change due to unexpected complexities or bugs. (Which is exactly why they don't say when any feature will arrive).

So we have expenses that are annual but we want to set aside money each month for them. Car registrations for instance. On the Mac version, how else are we supposed to account for arrangements like that?

There are a number of ways to account for such expenses, even though there's not yet a way to automatically make rollover budget adjustments each month. Let's say your car registration cost is $120 per year. (1) You could budget $10 month and see that you're on budget at the end of the year. (2) You could check your Quicken records to see which month you've paid the registrations in prior years, and put the entire $120 in the budget for that month. (3) You could put $120 in the budget for January and move it back each month until the expense actually comes up.

It may sound like a lot of work to manually adjust your budget each month, but for most people, it isn't. If your budget has, say, 50 expense categories and sub-categories, some of them are regular monthly expenses that you budget for every month (say cable/Internet or cell phone), some are annual (home insurance) or quarterly (estimated taxes), some are variable but stay within a general range (groceries). These categories don't need month-to-month adjustments. Then there are the categories where you expect to have some expense but don't really know how much or when — things like auto repairs, purchasing a new TV, etc. But those are probably not a large number of your expense categories, so adjusting them monthly or quarterly doesn't become a big job.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993