cloud-free version of Quicken & Quicken Mobile (local sync option) (10 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Ideas for Mobile
I would like to see an option to synch Quicken/Windows or Mac with Quicken/Mobile for IOS or Android, directly by wifi, without storing any of my financial data in the cloud. I am certain that the Quicken people are being diligent about providing the best possible security for cloud-stored customer data, but in the last year we have seen many smart, diligent people fall victim to highly motivated and well financed attackers. I would just feel more comfortable with my financial data stored somewhere where I can be responsible for the security. Some of my favorite apps (MyLifeOrganized, SplashID) offer a cloud-based synch with a direct phone-to-computer wifi synch available as an alternative. There is generally some loss of functionality but nothing too too critical.

I see many comments from people who want it to all be on the cloud. That's fine, best of luck to you. Buit I'll bet you that a tool like Quicken attracts more than its share of users who would appreciate, use and even pay for a more secure alternative. I have friends who use WhatsApp for a secure conversation about where to get pizza and then put all of their financial data out on Quicken cloud without knowing anything at all about just how hackproof the Quicken Cloud might be.
83 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 8/9/23 - CTP-7451

Comments

• Steve Jordi
    Steve Jordi Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I add my voice. I'm not buying the product as long as it's syncing over the internet and a 3rd party cloud environment.
    I want direct and only direct connection between mobile devices via local Wifi and/or USB.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I add my voice. I'm not buying the product as long as it's syncing over the internet and a 3rd party cloud environment.
    I want direct and only direct connection between mobile devices via local Wifi and/or USB.

Great but you also need to click VOTE above to make your voice count!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Back when I was using iBank (it has since changed its name), this feature was available, and we loved it.  One of my big complaints with Quicken (and confirmed with their tech support) is that it is impossible to sync my mobile devices and desktop WITHOUT syncing to all of my online financial institutions.  Additionally, the sync goes out to the institutions before compiling all of my manually entered data.  I want a way to compile all of the information my wife and I have entered on multiple devices and review it prior to syncing to my financial institutions.  Additionally, I'd love to be able to keep my financial information out of the cloud.
  • John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    I have been a Quicken customer/user since it first became available, and as the technology has evolved I have moveed from MSDOS to Windows, and on to Mac OS, and now IOS products. I now have Quicken 2018 for my Mac, and Quicken Mobile for my iPhones and iPads. Now that it appears that there is a portable (across operating systems) build of Quicken 2018, and the “Laptop/Workstation/PC” environment is moving towards the “Pad/Tablet”, so is there a plan as to when will see a full version of Quicken for IOS on the iPads?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    the “Laptop/Workstation/PC” environment is moving towards the “Pad/Tablet”
    Where did you hear that?  How about citing a reputable source for that statement?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    While your response appears to me to be somewhat argumentative in context, I'll try to answer your question.  

A rudimentary search of the topic will provide a wide variety of opinions, and it could be argued that with major players in the marketplace like Apple and Intel, and their Pad/Tablet initiatives, and the "Moore's Law" influence, that is a natural transition from Mainframes to Desktop PCs, to Laptops, to Pads/Tablets, is a logical and natural progression.  Observation in the marketplace in my mind tends to support this as evidenced by peoples everyday experiences in the people to people business environment.  Examples of this range from ordering in a restaurant where the waitress uses a tablet, visiting a medical provider where you are presented with a tablet to update or provide information, or in the retail sales environment where similar tools are now changing the process and adopting Pads/Tablets and reducing the need for Workstations/PCs/Laptops.  There will remain a niche for traditional Desktop environments for a period of time, but eventually even those needs will disappear and be replaced with some new type of technology.  

To deny the progression of Desktops, to Laptops, to Pads/Tablets, is much like the old argument that Windows would never replace DOS.  

I'm not trying to deny the current need for some people to have Quicken for the PC or Laptop, but I, and likely many others, would like to have Quicken on my iPad Pro (or Tablet). 

Now, back to my original question:  Is there any information as to availability in the future of a build of Quicken 201x for IOS?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    Now that it appears that there is a portable (across operating
    systems) build of Quicken 2018, and the “Laptop/Workstation/PC”
    environment is moving towards the “Pad/Tablet”
    You have misinterpreted the 2018 release of Quicken product offering.
    1. Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac Desktop are still both separate programs with different data file formats.  They are not in the least cross operating system builds.  The only thing that is different with the 2018 Release of Quicken subscription is that you now get both installs.
    2. Quicken Desktop is certainly not "portable" to any of the mobile operating systems.
    3. Quicken Mobile is no closer to being a "full Quicken" than it was last year.  In fact it has temporary lost its budget functions during the conversion from the Intuit servers to the Quicken servers.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019
    To deny the progression of Desktops, to Laptops, to Pads/Tablets, is
    much like the old argument that Windows would never replace DOS. 
    I think you haven't been keeping up with the times.  Tablet purchases are actually declining:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/tablet-shipments-decline-again/

The main problem with Tablets are they are good for "consuming", but bad for creating.
    It is a pain to type anything on them.

But more fundamentally for Quicken there is two main problems.
    1. The code would have to be totally rewritten.  It isn't possible to take any of the exist code and use it on the mobile operating systems.  What's more code written on iOS doesn't run on Android.  They would have to write the code at least twice.  Quicken Mac Desktop got a total rewrite starting in 2008 and if they are lucky they will have all of the features you find in Quicken Windows Deluxe in say about another year.
    2. In the mobile world device go from tiny to about the same size as a Desktop screen.  And touch is expected.  This drives what the GUI has to look like.  Quicken's current feature set would have to be completely redesigned, and there would have to be much more screens and scrolling.  It certainly would much different than what is already on Quicken Desktop.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @John Randolph

You made a statement that IT WAS HAPPENING.  I was just curious where you had gotten that information.

Should I have added a please and thank you to my question to make it less "somewhat argumentative in context"?

• John Randolph
    John Randolph Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I question your presumption that there is not a current portable version of Quicken.  

The communications from the Intuit/Quicken team that I have followed for the last couple of years has certainly led me to believe that a complete rewrite was taking place, and for anyone to expend the resources to do that without incorporating that requirement would be foolish and cost prohibitive from a future maintenance perspective.

I hope that you are wrong, and I will be very disappointed if they have not done so.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    If you want Quicken on a tablet, buy a Windows tablet.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I question your presumption that there is not a current portable version of Quicken.  

The communications from the Intuit/Quicken team that I have followed for the last couple of years has certainly led me to believe that a complete rewrite was taking place, and for anyone to expend the resources to do that without incorporating that requirement would be foolish and cost prohibitive from a future maintenance perspective.

I hope that you are wrong, and I will be very disappointed if they have not done so.

The communications from the Intuit/Quicken team
    Do you have a private communication channel with the developers?

I have been on Quicken forums since 2007, I have been in betas talking to the to lead Q/A person, and product managers for probably more than 5 years.

And this is the first I have ever heard of any effort in this area.

The existing Quicken mobile was actually port from the Mint mobile.
    And frankly they have added very little since it has it came out in 2013.

I have heard that there is now a dedicated Quicken mobile group, which was announced about a 1/2 year to a year ago.

Other than getting the Intuit to Quicken transition working.  About the only thing that has show up in public is more crashes and incompatibilities on certain devices, and the removal of the budget function.

Not exactly a glowing report for how great the group is doing.

Maybe they are saving their "best work" for this "hidden project".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Oh, to be far I did see a Quicken employee ask a few weeks ago if some of the people on this forum that have requested a "web based Quicken" would like to talk to him.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Full Mobile Version Needed.

Why has Qucken not developed a full version for iPad only users? There are those of us who do not rely on anPC or laptop for access to the internet because we strictly use an iPad.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Full Mobile Version Needed.

Why has Qucken not developed a full version for iPad only users? There are those of us who do not rely on anPC or laptop for access to the internet because we strictly use an iPad.

If they wrote one for the iPad, then the Android users would demand their own version also.

It is not as simple as it sounds.  They are still, after several years, trying to get a version for Mac that is even remotely equivalent to the Windows product.

Good luck with your request.

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would like the option for Quicken Mobile to NOT log into my financial institutions, download my transaction and auto match them. This only works correctly half of the time. I'd like to leave that function to my desktop software and just use Quicken Mobile as a mobile entry tool.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

And here it is:   :-P
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/stand-alone-mobile-app

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    This is needed
  • robertcweber
    robertcweber Member ✭✭
    Is there a planneD iPad version that is not in the cloud?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, take a look at Simplifi by Quicken...an independent product not "related" to Quicken (and currently does not have a migration path from Quicken desktop):

• HCKCOS
    HCKCOS Member
    I‘m about to abandon Windows for IPAD Pro, will quicken ever port to IOS? I may be cancelling my subscription if the answer is no.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @HCKCOS Quicken’s desktop software for Mac or Windows has a free iOS companion app which allows you to see and enter data — but it is only for syncing with a desktop version of the application for full features.

As an alternative for people who would prefer en entirely online experience, Quicken recently launched Simplfi as an online service which can be used from any computer, tablet or phone. I don’t think you can migrate existing Quicken data into Simplifi. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    ... I don’t think you can migrate existing Quicken data into Simplifi. 
    No, you can't

• jbm3238
    jbm3238 Member ✭✭
    Make the Quicken mobile a FULL FUNCTION APP like the PC version - remove the "Have to be on-line" to use it - NOT EVERYONE has constant cloud access.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    @jbm3238 that is a different IDEA than this thread. Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to stand-alone mobile app for Android and/or to Full Quicken for IOS.

First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
    (If the triangle is solid black, your vote has been registered.)

Your VOTES matter!

• Roland5@
    Roland5@ Member ✭✭
    I use Quicken for MAC subscription version and for me it is far superior to Windows. As Apple evolves, the iPad Pro is a real replacement for the MacBooks and is far less expensive. Any chance for the full Quicken subscription version moving to IOS?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Roland5@ I don't think that's the direction Quicken has been moving in. At this point, they have desktop Quicken for Windows and Mac (both of which can be used with a mobile app on iOS or a web interface on an iPad), and they have the new Simplifi product that is entirely web-based (but separate and different than Quicken).

I don't think Quicken is likely to be building a complete iOS version of Quicken on their own; just look at how many years they have been working on building the current Quicken Mac, and all the feature requests they have yet to implement. 

That said, Apple is moving towards making it possible to run iOS software on a Mac, and possibly to run macOS software on iOS devices. Their goal is to let developers develop one set of code and have it run on multiple platforms. In its earliest form, the goal is to get iOS apps to run on Macs, but the reverse -- macOS apps on iOS -- may follow. We will likely get more information about this in June when Apple hosts its annual developers conference and announces its latest directions. It's rumored that Macs that run on the same chips as iPads are coming, maybe as soon as the end of this year, and that, too, may ease the way for cross-platform app building.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Bill Conyer
    Bill Conyer Member ✭✭
    Are there any plans or discussions for a standalone version for the new iPad Pro?
    This may be the wrong forum for yhis question.