Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription for Security/Privacy (28 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Be sure to click "FOLLOW" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

This IDEA has also been added to the List of Requests for Data and File Management FeaturesYou may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Yes, this is a real problem with the new subscription model. They say you can run Quicken 2018 on as many machines as you want so long as they use the same Quicken ID. So if another family member is prompted for their ID they cannot login if the phone getting the text is not nearby.

Note, this thread is a request for the QWin version...for the QMac version, go here:
    Add Multiple Users for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
    (as these are being tracked separately, at least for now).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QWin 2018: Allow Multiple Phone Numbers for MFA Text.

Since MFA cannot be turned off and Quicken data cannot be accessed by multiple users, a Quicken account should be able to add more than one phone number to receive text messages to receive MFA code. That way, if more than one person needs access to the same cloud data on their mobile phones, then they can access it without having to forward the code from one person to the other. Sending the text to multiple phone numbers would also alert every user that someone was trying to access the data.
  • ohjer01
    ohjer01 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled MFA Codes.

My wife and I are running into this same issue!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: QWin 2018: Allow Multiple Phone Numbers for MFA Text.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled merging.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled multi-user access for families and/or joint account holders.My wife and I each want our own credentials to access the same quicken database. That makes sense, doesn't it? That is how our joint bank accounts work. Each of us can go into separate bank branches, present credentials for our joint accounts, and perform transactions. We also have individual, private accounts. We want that same paradigm in our financial tracking software, and we can't seem to find it.  

The financial picture of 2+ people is often a mix of individual and joint accounts, privacy, and transparency. It would make sense for financial software to follow the same model. I would like to have my individual accounts, and we [wife & I] should be able to have our joint accounts all under the same software roof, each with our own credentials, each with applicable privacy and transparency.

One step further, I would like to get my kid(s) setup, too, so I can monitor their accounts, they can learn to manage money, ... and can grow up to be quicken users on their own subscription.

Of course, that is a big leap from where Quicken is today but part of buying the subscription is the promise of continuous improvement, and this is the broad use-case which describes what I would like to see from a product like Quicken. Frankly I'm not sure how we all got to 2018 and online financial giants make joint account holders share credentials.

Please consider,
    David

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription (Q2018) for security and pr....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

The problem with what you are proposing is that with a subscription model, only one ID and one password verifies that the subscription is active.

And again, if multiple ID's and passwords could be used for one subscription, then there is no deterrent from multiple users outside of a household to be able to use Quicken...thus resulting in bogus copies sold or downloaded from nefarious sources, resulting in loss of revenue from Quicken.  

I understand Quicken's methodology with one ID/one password per one subscription.  It's inconvenient for some users...but the reasoning is there.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription (Q2018) for security and pr....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    David said:

I'm trying to become a quicken customer but looks like it won't be happening. 

My wife and I each want our own credentials to access the same quicken database. That makes sense, doesn't it? That is how our joint bank accounts work. Each of us can go into separate bank branches, present credentials, and perform transactions. We want that same paradigm in our financial tracking software, and we can't seem to find it. Why not? 

I don't understand why this isn't more widely supported/adopted, yet.

Well, after having started my own thread, Sarah Quicken (I think) merged my new thread into this thread. I don't know why but merging it back into here makes me think it is a misunderstood concept. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    David said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled multi-user access for families and/or joint account holders.My wife and I each want our own credentials to access the same quicken database. That makes sense, doesn't it? That is how our joint bank accounts work. Each of us can go into separate bank branches, present credentials for our joint accounts, and perform transactions. We also have individual, private accounts. We want that same paradigm in our financial tracking software, and we can't seem to find it.  

The financial picture of 2+ people is often a mix of individual and joint accounts, privacy, and transparency. It would make sense for financial software to follow the same model. I would like to have my individual accounts, and we [wife & I] should be able to have our joint accounts all under the same software roof, each with our own credentials, each with applicable privacy and transparency.

One step further, I would like to get my kid(s) setup, too, so I can monitor their accounts, they can learn to manage money, ... and can grow up to be quicken users on their own subscription.

Of course, that is a big leap from where Quicken is today but part of buying the subscription is the promise of continuous improvement, and this is the broad use-case which describes what I would like to see from a product like Quicken. Frankly I'm not sure how we all got to 2018 and online financial giants make joint account holders share credentials.

Please consider,
    David

You’re definitely asking for something different than this thread. And something I think will never happen in personal finance software. It’s personal. This is a very complex level of permissions management that is such an edge case that I don’t think it’s going to get implemented. (Look at this thread; we can’t even get Quicken to provide the same level of behavior we had a year ago.)

I understand why you might need this. But 99% of users would never configure these permissions. Most users will either be like me—total transparency to everything financial picture—or have separate Quicken data files.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

The moderators - wrongly or rightly - deemed the request to be the same as the topic of this thread.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

That’s obvious. But it doesn’t make it any more helpful to combine them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

Once again...the apparent reasoning behind ONLY one Quicken ID/password per subscription is that Quicken Inc will have control over who uses their software...and that those users have actually PAID to use the software.

Not saying that you would do this, but let's face it...in the old model you buy one copy of Quicken.  You install it on three PC's, but that's the "honor" system.  It's been shown and I've installed Quicken on more than three PC's (just to test the three PC limit, of course).  

So, there was no stopping you from giving your copy of Quicken to Uncle Phil...and cousin Ted and your daughter's friend...etc etc etc.

And of course there are plenty of people on eBay or other outlets who would SELL their copy of Quicken to almost unlimited purchasers by burning copies of the software.  Completely illegal, of course...but we all know it's been done.

That, in itself, cuts into Quicken's profits.  And rightfully, they have put an end to the counterfeiting and piracy of their software by REQUIRING you have an activation code, which in turn allows you to download a copy of their software.

And thus it's ONE user ID/password per subscription.  As it should be.

I don't get to purchase a 1 license software and install it on unlimited machines...or give it to other people I know (or even don't know).  That's how subscriptions work.  Some companies will allow you to purchase additional licenses at a reduced fee, however.  

Now, if Quicken would like to sell additional subscription licenses to current users at a discounted rate, maybe that's something Quicken MIGHT want to consider.

Of course, I would expect that Quicken would charge more for that...as they should.  Quicken is NOT obligated to allow you to use more than one copy for more than one user.  If they ADD additional installations at a cost that is less than subscribing individually for each person, that might be something they could consider.  

But I'm guessing that's something that might not occur for a very long time, as there are certainly other issues to consider before they even get to that.

And the voting for this addition is only at 14 votes...so that would indicate that it's not a concern for almost every mainstream user.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

Also, as to the comment above about him wanting to share his Quicken download with his wife and possibly kids...

The ONLY thing that would be affected by sharing the same Quicken ID/password with other family members would be Credit Score, Quicken Cloud and possibly Bill Reminder Downloads (although I'm not sure about the last one).  

They are the only info that is linked to your Quicken ID/password.

So, create a new Quicken file for your wife...and another for your daughter.

it's not ONE Quicken data file per ID...it's ONE ID per subscription.  Big difference there.  

Just don't activate your Credit Score, download to the Quicken Cloud or create any downloaded bills.

That would work...wouldn't it?

Now, for others that "do work" tracking other's financial's, I still think because that is outside the scope of a HOUSEHOLD family member you SHOULD be required to purchase another subscription for each of them.  

But that's just my opinion.  I'm sure that others will disagree with my view, especially users that are doing financials for other people outside the scope of immediate household members. 
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

Ref. Just don't activate your Credit Score, download to the Quicken Cloud or create any downloaded bills.

So, just don,t use 1/2 the program and 1/2 the features. That seems unacceptable.

It seems to me that the people that are not affected by this are having trouble seeing the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

Yes. People keep restating very obvious things. We know Quicken is doing this to increase revenue over the standard upgrade cycle and to prevent copyright infringement.

There are other ways to prevent copyright infringement. Or you could invest the revenue from subscriptions into features that benefit users rather than presume most of your customers are criminals.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    David said:

Please consider,
    David

Tom, totally agree.

The claim that multiple people in a household can use QM2018 with a single ID is not accurate. If the program asks you to login in to validate and holder of the phone getting the verification text is not immediately available then the other household user is stuck.

Quicken Corp needs to provide a way for at least two people to get the text.
  • miklk
    edited September 2018
    I have several reasons why this would be helpful but the main reason is that if a spouse dies or divorces there seems to be no way to change the SSN used to get the credit score. (Even creating a new data file still uses the same unwanted SSN). The SSN seems to be permanently attached to the QuickenID FOREVER.

PS: Other reason for me personally is that I believe I could share 1 QuickenID between 2 household users if I could reset the Credit Score so my score would not be attached to the QuickenID for other household user to see. Even just being able to delete the SSN and have it at the reset at the initial setup stage would help.

IF there is a way to reset the credit score, I have not been able to find it?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    So, if I understand the crux of the issue correctly, in summary of the issue that Quicken needs to resolve is where one QID needs to be used with multiple files but data that need to be kept separate.

This can be done IF QMobile, or now QWeb, is not needed. If either of these is needed, any account registers marked to sync will sync with all data files, therefore not keeping the data separate.

This applies whether it is one user needing to manage multiple files or multiple users, typically in the same household, where each user has a separate file to keep data separate. 

So even though Quicken allows for multiple installs of the same software on multiple computer, the current implementation of the QID means that to keep the data separate, QMobile and QWeb cannot be used without data being exposed to all synced data files and users that have access to them.

In other words, Quicken is effectively restricting the use of of QMobile and QWeb to only one user IF data from more that one file needs to be synced with QMobile and QWeb but the data needs to be kept separate.

So the desired solution is to still be able to sync multiple data files with QMobile or QWeb using one membership while still keeping the data separate, whether it be using more than one QID in the subscription or another means.

• miklk
    edited January 2019
    That pretty much sums it up.

Credit Score is directly tied to QID so that is restricted to the 1 Social Security Number originally associated with it. Not great but since it is a minor feature and other users would be in same household, no big deal. The QID also has a phone number/ Email associated with the QID and that should remain separate as 1 per household assuring Quicken company that it stays in the same household.

The REAL problem is as stated above:

To share 1 QID in a household (mother, children, etc..), you CANNOT do it (as we always have for 20 years with Quickens blessing) without giving all users access via mobile or Web to all SYNCed accounts and transactions which is unacceptable IMO. (Mobile/WEB is becoming a bigger part of Quicken moving forward so we really NEED to be able to keep files separate.)

The multiple license would help as originally thought of but they have implemented a strange "feature" that monitors for a QID change making it harder to use multiple QIDs anyway so that is not even a great solution anymore. (It would work but other solutions seem easier)

There is simple implementations that can also work such as requiring a file password to access  or switch files in Mobile/Web without changing how it is all handled now. (Each user would have there own password associated with their mobile Dataset Name) It can be an option to avoid all users needing mobile datasetID passwords. To me, that would be the easiest fix.

Seems like there are several fairly easy solutions but I have had this discussion with them many times and have been told something will be done for this BUT I am afraid there are not enough users (like ME) that have this problem. People that are not effected by this problem seem to not understand the problem. Mobile/Web still has many problems BUT is is not reasonable to just say users that have more than 1 household user should just not SYNC ever? It is supposed to be a usable feature.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

Credit Score is directly tied to QID so that is restricted to the 1 Social Security Number originally associated with it. Not great but since it is a minor feature and other users would be in same household, no big deal. The QID also has a phone number/ Email associated with the QID and that should remain separate as 1 per household assuring Quicken company that it stays in the same household.

To share 1 QID in a household (mother, children, etc..), you CANNOT do it (as we always have for 20 years with Quickens blessing) without giving all users access via mobile or Web to all SYNCed accounts and transactions which is unacceptable IMO. (Mobile/WEB is becoming a bigger part of Quicken moving forward so we really NEED to be able to keep files separate.)

The multiple license would help as originally thought of but they have implemented a strange "feature" that monitors for a QID change making it harder to use multiple QIDs anyway so that is not even a great solution anymore. (It would work but other solutions seem easier)

There is simple implementations that can also work such as requiring a file password to access  or switch files in Mobile/Web without changing how it is all handled now. (Each user would have there own password associated with their mobile Dataset Name) It can be an option to avoid all users needing mobile datasetID passwords. To me, that would be the easiest fix.

Seems like there are several fairly easy solutions but I have had this discussion with them many times and have been told something will be done for this BUT I am afraid there are not enough users (like ME) that have this problem. People that are not effected by this problem seem to not understand the problem. Mobile/Web still has many problems BUT is is not reasonable to just say users that have more than 1 household user should just not SYNC ever? It is supposed to be a usable feature.

@miklk

I take exception to you implying that the files are not kept separate. 
    (Mobile/WEB is becoming a bigger part of Quicken moving forward so we really NEED to be able to keep files separate.)
    The files are separate, just as the desktop files are separate.  What isn't possible, as you talk about it further, is privacy.  As is, anyone with the QID can see any of the synced files via QMobile/Q-Web.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• miklk
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

I think that is what I was saying and it is just semantics:

If my datafile mobile dataset shows up for another user, then it is not separate to me

Also, it is not just privacy as the other datafile user can read AND write to my info on mobile/web which will show in my desktop datafile on next SYNC

(There is many scenarios we have gone over where you can actually see the datasetID Change in the desktop program when switching datafiles and SYNCing ; This does not happen when using 2 QIDs)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

It maybe semantics, but the opposite of "keep files separate" is for the files to be co-mingled and co-mingling is NOT happening and it is important to not confuse that point.
    If my datafile mobile dataset shows up for another user, then it is not separate to me
    I would state that substituting "private" for "separate".

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

As I don't use the mobile or web apps, I have a question:

1 Can't you password protect/enable touch ID/face recognition for your Quicken mobile account?

That, in itself should keep others out of your data, as you won't be able to log in to even sync.

2 As to Quicken Web, don't you also need to log in first?

Aren't both of those methods secure enough?

Once again, I may be way wrong on this, as I'm not familiar enough with both those Quicken Cloud associated apps.  
  • miklk
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

No because we are talking about sharing the QuickenID

The login for mobile/web is the same for both users since both login with same credentials

(Basically that is the problem but there are many variables in the Quicken inner workings that can change how things work such as QID, FileID, and DatasetID etc..)

It is much more complicated than it appears
  • miklk
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

ref: The files are separate, just as the desktop files are separate.  What isn't possible, as you talk about it further, is privacy.  As is, anyone with the QID can see any of the synced files via QMobile/Q-Web"

I wouldn't really disagree but I would say it is not just privacy as the other user can accidentally or on purpose WRITE to the data file in web/mobile which will SYNC back to desktop file and be another source of corruption. (If my mother was clicking around in mobile or web I would be surprised if something didn't get entered or changed)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

Hub Smily

It was brought up that a user could put a password on the file and prevent the other QID sharers from getting into their data file, that is true for the desktop, but Q-Web does not abide by the file password, it just lets anyone with the QID to access the data that is in the QCA. 

I don't have QMobile installed, so I don't know if it honors the file password.

• miklk
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

It does NOT
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

There is another monkey wrench that adds to the confusion...Since QM2017 v4.6.8 released in Jan 2018, there is this sync feature that allows syncing registers between DESKTOP files via QCloud. 

In QM2017 v4.6.8 was released a feature that says "Sync Asset Accounts between 2 Macs.", which turns out to be more than just asset accounts, including checking, etc.

So combining all the statements and this release note is partly what also lead me to believe of the possibility of co-mingling of data.

This too has to be clarified as part of the equation/discussion.

• miklk
    edited December 2018
    This is such an old thread, it should probably be abandoned anyway.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    miklk said:

I always assumed (and we know about that word) that "Sync Asset Accounts between 2 Macs." implied that the two files were copies of each other and it would keep the two files "in sync".

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    miklk said:

This is such an old thread, it should probably be abandoned anyway.

Normally I would say yes, but this thread was created to collect votes, so it needs to stay active.