Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.3.x Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

I still can't pull the trigger on this, basically because I don't trust you (Mac Team.)   I am using Quicken 2007 and I have investments I track as well as a rental property I manage.  Apparently not all of my data will migrate and then I'll be stuck wasting a lot of my time trying to make a feature-weak product (Quicken 2018) work for me.  No thanks.  I'll give you my money when you have a product with all the features I have in 2007 and you no longer have feature disparity between Mac and Windows.

That would be for the Windows version only.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sandy said:

Has anyone use the quicken 2018 Investing product. I just upgraded from 2017 to 2018 Premier on my Mac and noticed the Quicken investing web site gives instructions to sync investments but the instructions are not even close to how the mac product works Might be written for windows user only). Any help would be helpful. I would like to sync my quicken 2018 investments to this site and be able to use the alert and research tools for investment stocks etc

Sandy, If I understand your question correctly, we chose not to integrate the Mac product with the Quicken Investing site because it's a third-party product that hasn't been updated in years.  You can see your portfolio using the Quicken Mobile app or, hopefully in the not too distant future, on a new Quicken Web product.
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: Any update on when team will address portfolio view not remembering column widths? Or when bond mutual fund shares incorrectly assigned during migration from Q-Windows as "Bonds" can be correctly re-designated as "Mutual Funds"? Both issues have been reported using the tool at v. 5.2.x. Thanks. 

@QuickenMarcus

Thanks for continuing to pursue this. Again, I really don't care whether the application allows me to change the security type. What I do want is for all securities to behave correctly when transactions are automatically processed through Quicken. For some reason when I download some transactions for two mutual funds, Quicken correctly shows the dollar amount, but divides the number of shares by 100, thereby inflating the price per share by a factor of 100. This suggested to me that Quicken is treating the security as lots, rather than as individual shares -- which in turn led me to check the security type, which showed as a "bond," rather than a "mutual fund" as it was in Quicken-Windows from whence the security profile was exported. This anomaly is one I have observed ONLY with reinvested dividends and ONLY with two securities, both of them Vanguard bond mutual funds: VBTLX and VTABX. Transactions for the exchange of equal dollar amounts of these two funds, which appear as equal and separate BUY and SELL transactions download and display correctly. 

Incidentally, Quicken will download dividends for reinvestment today or tomorrow for these two securities. If it's helpful, I can provide screen shots of the transaction details (or anything else you suggest) before manually correcting the number of shares for each transaction. 

Let me know if I can help. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Alan said:

I upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken for Mac 2018 Deluxe (Version 5.3.2) three days ago.  After the upgrade, my account balances were off significantly.  I assumed some error happened in the data migration.  I found a backup file from prior to the upgrade and opened it.  I worked on it for several hours with no problem.  I was doing something else (checking email I think) when I got an error message that my Quicken crashed.  After re-opening Quicken, my balances were off and actually duplicate accounts were created.

The only possible hint I found as I selectively reviewed transactions is that it appears transfers between accounts did not properly handle the debit/credit.

I tried contacting support but the chat sessions for this issue did not help (as a matter of fact I was told to "Wait a moment" and after fifteen minutes I left the chat).  I have scoured the forums and have not found anything that is current and helpful to this issue.

I enjoy that my checkbook balance looks fantastic Quicken, but regrettably it does not reflect the reality.  I found Quicken for Windows to be very useful, previous Quicken for Mac versions tolerable and this one unusable at this point.  Hints?  Suggestions?  Ideas?

Thank you for your response.

I did have a thought that may help someone else as I was trying to find a way forward from my current predicament (I am not sure that I am "set again.").  I had been using Quicken for Microsoft for years and transferred to Quicken for Mac in early 2017.  I wonder if there may have been some residual "something" -- some glitch -- that goes back to that data migration.  Pure speculation on my part.
  • robjcaldera
    robjcaldera Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So I just upgraded to 2018 and I can't believe that you still don't have a very basic feature -- the ability to change a single entry in a recurring transaction series. This feature (at least the ability to change the next due transaction) has been available in the Windows version since at least 2011 (when I first got Quicken), and a feature of the old Microsoft Money going back to the very early 2000s. How could you not have this feature?

For instance, I have recurring transactions set for credit card bills with an average payment put in them, but when I have a better idea of what I plan on paying that month I want to be able to change the next transaction without changing the entire series so I can get a more accurate projection. The only way to do this now is to actually enter the transaction in the ledger as if you actually paid it and then have to remember that you didn't really pay it -- not a great way! It would also be good to have the ability to change any entry in a recurring series, not just the next one, so that if you know that in a few months the amount of a bill is going to change you can revise it and get a better projection.

Projections are so important to maintaining finances.The Mac version needs to have this ASAP. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: Any update on when team will address portfolio view not remembering column widths? Or when bond mutual fund shares incorrectly assigned during migration from Q-Windows as "Bonds" can be correctly re-designated as "Mutual Funds"? Both issues have been reported using the tool at v. 5.2.x. Thanks. 

Quicken divides by 100 because it thinks they are bonds.  This is how bonds work in Quicken.  This is NOT a bug.  Quicken is working correctly.  This is why the security type is critical in your case.  If you could switch them to Mutual Funds, they would work as you expect but that special behavior is also why we don't currently allow you to change them.  If you had real bonds and changed them to a mutual fund, then all your amounts would be wrong.  In any case, I'm going to look into it more.
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

Understood. Thanks. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Options

So I just upgraded to 2018 and I can't believe that you still don't have a very basic feature -- the ability to change a single entry in a recurring transaction series. This feature (at least the ability to change the next due transaction) has been available in the Windows version since at least 2011 (when I first got Quicken), and a feature of the old Microsoft Money going back to the very early 2000s. How could you not have this feature?

For instance, I have recurring transactions set for credit card bills with an average payment put in them, but when I have a better idea of what I plan on paying that month I want to be able to change the next transaction without changing the entire series so I can get a more accurate projection. The only way to do this now is to actually enter the transaction in the ledger as if you actually paid it and then have to remember that you didn't really pay it -- not a great way! It would also be good to have the ability to change any entry in a recurring series, not just the next one, so that if you know that in a few months the amount of a bill is going to change you can revise it and get a better projection.

Projections are so important to maintaining finances.The Mac version needs to have this ASAP. 

We agree.  Stay tuned.
  • robjcaldera
    robjcaldera Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ok, I will eagerly await that update. Still so surprised it's taken this long. I know I'm not the only one by far that's been asking for it for a long time.

Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options

I bank with USAA and all my banking (savings and checking account stopped when I installed Quicken 2018 saying bank website is down which it is not so something problem with new 2018 and connections to USAA Federal Savings Bank.

The messages we get from the banks and our account aggregator are very broad.  When the message says the bank website is down it could mean that the website is actually down or more likely it could mean the bank is either blocking Quicken or there could be some other technical reason the connection isn't working.  Please work with our Care team or look through the forums.  If an account connection is down, the Support team knows about it and I believe we also publish it in the forums.

A few things you could try:
    1) Create a brand new file and add this bank and see if it works.  If you get the same error then it probably means a connection error and not something wrong with your Quicken file.
    2) If you're able to add it then it might be some issue in your file and Disconnecting the problem accounts and then using the + button above the sidebar to add and link it to your existing accounts could resolve some issues.
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

I would add that I believe it's generally a bad idea for Quicken to restrict the user from changing the security type -- or any other configuration parameter -- by design. Why take away the more knowledgable user's ability to exercise greater control? The development team of Quicken-Windows apparently decided to go a different way. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options

In the mean time, workaround: make sure the status column is enabled. When you mark the transaction as paid, there will be an orange pencil icon. Use that as a reminder that it's not really paid and only clear the pencil (mark as reviewed) when you actually pay it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    Options

I bank with USAA and all my banking (savings and checking account stopped when I installed Quicken 2018 saying bank website is down which it is not so something problem with new 2018 and connections to USAA Federal Savings Bank.

See this announcement:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-issue-updating-or-adding-usaa-accounts
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

And if there are other reasons I don't understand for keeping control of the security type out of the user's hands, why not tie the setting to the security's symbol? VBTLX or VTABX are unique identifiers and will never be anything but mutual funds. 
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

And, of course, once the status column is enabled and the amount paid is withdrawn from your FI, the status changes to "Matched" at the next Update Online Accounts. Failing to see that is another safeguard against a missed payment.  
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yes. It's actually the Match Status column that will say "matched". The Status column shows the pencil and dot icons. You probably will want both of those columns displayed.
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Very helpful. At a minimum, would be good if Quicken employees (not to mention Quicken customers) had a reliable way of staying updated about important service issues like this. @Quicken Kathryn posted six hours before Marcus suggested Harold Tucker invest all that effort in what obviously had no chance of succeeding.   
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Correct. 
  • robjcaldera
    robjcaldera Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks for the tips!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The import match is a dumpster fire. It's merging completely unrelated transactions (transfers from two different banks in one case, and a passport fee with a housecleaning fee in another). It also can get stuck on import, requiring a program restart.

How do I unmatch transactions so I can fix them manually?
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options

The import match is a dumpster fire. It's merging completely unrelated transactions (transfers from two different banks in one case, and a passport fee with a housecleaning fee in another). It also can get stuck on import, requiring a program restart.

How do I unmatch transactions so I can fix them manually?

To unmatch, with the transaction selected, click menu Transactions > Reject Automatic Transaction Match. (Or you can right-click on the transaction to get the same option.)

To match manually after unmatching, drag one transaction on top of another.

Quicken will learn from these actions and matching will improve. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

So, sounds like this small feature is coming down the pipe...meanwhile until it does, you may still want to add your VOTE to Add Ability to Edit First Transaction in Bill Reminder (Schedule Transactions) Series Without Changing the Rest.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance). Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

I agree with you previous statement about flexibility but your last one about tying the feature to security symbols is asking for an impossible task...think about how many symbols there are...and having Quicken to maintain ongoing database of all the applicable symbols, and managing all the changes...too complex and asking for trouble...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

You may be correct. My perhaps naive assumption was that Quicken wouldn't have to maintain a database of security types any more than it has to maintain a database of security prices. Quicken currently obtains dynamic price data on a daily basis from the various securities exchanges (presumably on the basis of unique symbolic identifiers). My thinking is that Quicken might also obtain updates from the exchanges on the security type and other parameters of each security's profile. Of course, that's all predicated on my assumption that the data the exchanges provide includes each security's parameters, including the asset type. 
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Not related to an update, but the program itself.  Been trying to report this problem since QM2015, but there isn't a way to contact an employee or send an email.  Chat didn't help and the community is aware of the problem, but there aren't any employees there.  So here's the link to the community.  Will this error in the QM program ever be addressed?  Thank you. 

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/q2018-mac-stock-options
    Quicken user since 1986
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lakedaisy said:

Not related to an update, but the program itself.  Been trying to report this problem since QM2015, but there isn't a way to contact an employee or send an email.  Chat didn't help and the community is aware of the problem, but there aren't any employees there.  So here's the link to the community.  Will this error in the QM program ever be addressed?  Thank you. 

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/q2018-mac-stock-options

In QM 18 I find that when an option is bought or closed QM no longer downloads the placeholder for the transaction. So yo will need to go to the appropriate register and set up the transaction and select the security to fill in all the data. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Greetings all.  I just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken Mac 5.3.2.  The first thing I noticed is that "Today's Balance" in the upper right corner is very low.  It appears to be leaving out a number of account that are properly listed in the left sidebar.  I'm trying to figure out where you determine what is included in the "Today's Balance" number.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone can give me a pointer to this, I'd appreciate it!

I am running High Sierra 10.13.1 with no issues with the latest QM
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Using latest QM 5.3.2 after upgrading from Windows Q Deluxe 2016.  A few issues...

- when opening my file with a password, you put up a modal that goes over EVERY app while the file is loading.  This should be constrained to Quicken.  My app is painfully slow in loading even on a MBP with 16gb of memory.  Far slower than windows.  Why put up a modal over every app.  Same with backing up a file.  If you can't operate faster, don't stop me from doing work in other apps.

- When updating online accounts, again, I can't do anything else.  Why not support multi-threading?  It's 2018 and you're now expecting me to pay you annually for updates.

- For some reason, when I downloaded stock quotes, both Amazon and Google were missing quotes in the download.  I ended up going to Nasdaq.com and downloading 10 years of quotes from them to get accurate portfolio and NW views.  Why are quotes not more reliable?  They seemed to be on Windows.

- Quite a few transfers between two Chase accounts were entered twice in the migration.  So I had a much higher balance in my checking account Mac than was actually there.  I ran Q Win and Q Mac side by side and was surprised there was not more balance consistency.  

- I'd like to see more flexibility on net worth and investment reporting.  Right now there are no custom reports for investments.  For example, find all transactions in a security between two dates and generate a PDF or printout.  Or show a subset of accounts in a net worth report.

- I'd like to see you reinstate the option to have an account visible in the sidebar but NOT add to Net Worth.  I manage my daughters accounts in Quicken but want them to be kept separate.  Windows supports this feature. 

Glad to see more attention being paid to the Mac version, but after moving from Windows, I realize there are still significant gaps.

Thanks - 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Quicken is crashing when I try to import a bank .qfx file.  Really?  This should be the simplest task of all.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Quicken is crashing when I try to import a bank .qfx file.  Really?  This should be the simplest task of all.  

Is the bank listed in the setup dialog as supporting Web Connect? If not, Quicken will not import the QFX file. It should, however, tell you that rather than crash. Please submit a report using the menu Help > Report a Problem.
This discussion has been closed.