Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.3.x Released

Options

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

QM V5.3.1..sold a security on 11/14/17..Security no longer in Portfolio view, this AM after upgrade to 5.3.1  security showing up in PV with -0 shares. 

Just noticed that while the magical fractional value deleted the security from the portfolio view, the security shows up under daily investment transactions in the calendar view. Might this be a bug.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

QM V5.3.1..sold a security on 11/14/17..Security no longer in Portfolio view, this AM after upgrade to 5.3.1  security showing up in PV with -0 shares. 

You used the fractional transaction to get the net quantity of the security to zero. But there are still transactions in the file, so I would expect them to show up in the calendar, just as they still show up as transactions in the register. No bug.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

The security is displayed in the calendar view for daily g/l as $0.00
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken for Mac 2018 Deluxe (Version 5.3.2) three days ago.  After the upgrade, my account balances were off significantly.  I assumed some error happened in the data migration.  I found a backup file from prior to the upgrade and opened it.  I worked on it for several hours with no problem.  I was doing something else (checking email I think) when I got an error message that my Quicken crashed.  After re-opening Quicken, my balances were off and actually duplicate accounts were created.

The only possible hint I found as I selectively reviewed transactions is that it appears transfers between accounts did not properly handle the debit/credit.

I tried contacting support but the chat sessions for this issue did not help (as a matter of fact I was told to "Wait a moment" and after fifteen minutes I left the chat).  I have scoured the forums and have not found anything that is current and helpful to this issue.

I enjoy that my checkbook balance looks fantastic Quicken, but regrettably it does not reflect the reality.  I found Quicken for Windows to be very useful, previous Quicken for Mac versions tolerable and this one unusable at this point.  Hints?  Suggestions?  Ideas?
  • Dave316
    Dave316 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Upgraded from Qmac2017 to Qmac2018 v5.3.2 over the weekend.  Been running it for two days now and every time (yes, every time) I try to import a Web Connect file from my bank into my primary checking account, the application crashes.  I was able to import two other Web Connect files before the behavior started occurring and I haven't tried a different account yet.  Going to try that tomorrow, but would be good to know if anyone else if experiencing this issue as well.
  • Brad1
    Brad1 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I still can't pull the trigger on this, basically because I don't trust you (Mac Team.)   I am using Quicken 2007 and I have investments I track as well as a rental property I manage.  Apparently not all of my data will migrate and then I'll be stuck wasting a lot of my time trying to make a feature-weak product (Quicken 2018) work for me.  No thanks.  I'll give you my money when you have a product with all the features I have in 2007 and you no longer have feature disparity between Mac and Windows.
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

I still can't pull the trigger on this, basically because I don't trust you (Mac Team.)   I am using Quicken 2007 and I have investments I track as well as a rental property I manage.  Apparently not all of my data will migrate and then I'll be stuck wasting a lot of my time trying to make a feature-weak product (Quicken 2018) work for me.  No thanks.  I'll give you my money when you have a product with all the features I have in 2007 and you no longer have feature disparity between Mac and Windows.

I agree! I'm sure many users are in the same boat as us. Until I can be confident that ALL my data and history will migrate to the new product I will not switch.
  • Brad1
    Brad1 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

People will say well eventually you will be forced to switch.  Well, maybe not.  Maybe I'll just give up completely with tracking all this stuff.  There are people who don't use Quicken and they seem to be living their lives just fine.  This may be like the cable company - eventually the product gets so frustrating to use it's just easier to do without it.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

I'll give you my money when you have a product with all the features I have in 2007 and you no longer have feature disparity between Mac and Windows.
    I agree for the most part...but that list part about feature parity...you may be waiting a LONG time for that one, even though it is a stated objective to bring more feature parity of time.

That said, to try to influence the priority of these matters, I suggest you start with  looking through and adding your vote to requests found on the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac
    This is a special list that draws attention to requests specifically related to this topic. Click the underlined link to visit that page to see the selection and add your VOTE to promote that list, to encourage others to vote. Then click on the links there to vote on the specific requests.

While you are at it, I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in Quicken end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content. Your VOTES matter! 
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

If I understand correctly that 2007 is a 32 bit program, you will relegated to using High Sierra, or previous OS versions, for the foreseeable future because HS that last OS that will support 32 bit programs. If you want to keep up-to-date with future Mac's operating systems, your choices are either QM, whatever version exists down the road, or QW using either a Window computer or the Mac in Bootcamp or an emulation program. You will need a copy of MS Windows to work with QW if you stay on the Mac side. Hopefully, QM will advance far enough to allow you to continue using a Mac based product. I think purchasing QM 2018 includes a copy of QW 2018. One other option is to use a competitive product that is based on 64 bit architecture.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

I like the bills and income in a combined menu, can we get that back as an option.  Also under bills and income, I was previously able to change the date when I posted it, no I have to go find it in the register, can we add the ability to change the date when you post it in the bills or income sections?

Yes, the Projected Balances view should still have all scheduled transactions.  We didn't change that. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options

Greetings all.  I just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken Mac 5.3.2.  The first thing I noticed is that "Today's Balance" in the upper right corner is very low.  It appears to be leaving out a number of account that are properly listed in the left sidebar.  I'm trying to figure out where you determine what is included in the "Today's Balance" number.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone can give me a pointer to this, I'd appreciate it!

Actually, that wasn't supposed to change.  I'm not sure why it did. I'll file a ticket to have it go back to Net Worth.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: Any update on when team will address portfolio view not remembering column widths? Or when bond mutual fund shares incorrectly assigned during migration from Q-Windows as "Bonds" can be correctly re-designated as "Mutual Funds"? Both issues have been reported using the tool at v. 5.2.x. Thanks. 

We're working on the column widths in portfolio view.  The bond issue wasn't something I was focused on.  Are you asking to be able to just switch the type to Mutual Fund or are you asking that we fix the initial issue with Windows import?  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Alan said:

I upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken for Mac 2018 Deluxe (Version 5.3.2) three days ago.  After the upgrade, my account balances were off significantly.  I assumed some error happened in the data migration.  I found a backup file from prior to the upgrade and opened it.  I worked on it for several hours with no problem.  I was doing something else (checking email I think) when I got an error message that my Quicken crashed.  After re-opening Quicken, my balances were off and actually duplicate accounts were created.

The only possible hint I found as I selectively reviewed transactions is that it appears transfers between accounts did not properly handle the debit/credit.

I tried contacting support but the chat sessions for this issue did not help (as a matter of fact I was told to "Wait a moment" and after fifteen minutes I left the chat).  I have scoured the forums and have not found anything that is current and helpful to this issue.

I enjoy that my checkbook balance looks fantastic Quicken, but regrettably it does not reflect the reality.  I found Quicken for Windows to be very useful, previous Quicken for Mac versions tolerable and this one unusable at this point.  Hints?  Suggestions?  Ideas?

Do you know what version of 2017 you were running?  In 2017 v4.5.x we did a data update that would clean up defective transactions where the splits didn't app up to the transaction amount. This was to improve data integrity.  All of these transactions were wrong so we had to update them but we may have changed the transaction balance to match your splits which could throw your balance off.  For any transaction that we changed, we added notes to the memo field to tell you that it was altered to hopefully help make any issues easier to fix.  But again, this change went into 2017 v4.5.x.  The only reason this would happen in 2018 is if you were upgrading from an earlier version that 4.5.x.  Anyway, whenever we tweak data, we add a note to the memo field so take a look to see if you have any notes on your transactions where the balance is off and this might help us figure out what went wrong.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dave said:

Upgraded from Qmac2017 to Qmac2018 v5.3.2 over the weekend.  Been running it for two days now and every time (yes, every time) I try to import a Web Connect file from my bank into my primary checking account, the application crashes.  I was able to import two other Web Connect files before the behavior started occurring and I haven't tried a different account yet.  Going to try that tomorrow, but would be good to know if anyone else if experiencing this issue as well.

Dave, I think we know what is causing the issue and we have a fix that will be released in the next update.  We believe that people who have more than 25 auto-matched transactions in an account will crash.  For example, if you have more than 25 scheduled transactions like transfers in an account that then get auto-matched to downloaded transactions, then there's a potential for this crash to occur.  I'll contact you directly to see if you might be willing to try an early version of our next release to see if it fixes the crash you're running into.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Greetings all.  I just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2017 to Quicken Mac 5.3.2.  The first thing I noticed is that "Today's Balance" in the upper right corner is very low.  It appears to be leaving out a number of account that are properly listed in the left sidebar.  I'm trying to figure out where you determine what is included in the "Today's Balance" number.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone can give me a pointer to this, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks Marcus, that would be great to see again!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bruce - Does Quicken support MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.1 ?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

James is correct. 2007 is most likely not going to work after Apple eliminates support for 32-bit apps.  The problem that people miss in this 2007 vs New Mac discussion is that the 2007 code base is really really old and was built before OSX existed.  It is barely running on the latest OS.  This is why we can't just take that code and all its features and have it appear in the new Mac version.  Software doesn't work that way or at least it's not an option for us.  We have to re-write all of this from scratch which is why it takes so long.  It doesn't help that Intuit killed off the project multiple times so we really only started working on this again in the Summer of 2012 or 5 years ago and unfortunately since it languished and no one had worked on it for over 5 years, there was also a lot of tech debt that we had to work on to bring the product up-to-par with the latest MacOS standards. I understand the frustration but please also understand that we're not holding back features or trying to screw Mac customers. It just takes time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi Don - I'm still running MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6., so I think that someone else on this message board would have to answer that.  I'll update my system to High Sierra in the near future, but probably on my MacBook first, and I don't run Quicken there, so it may be a while till I could share any experiences.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Alan said:

I updated from Quicken 2017 Version 4.6.7 (Build 46.19238.100).  The current Quicken for 2018 Version 5.3.2 (Build 53.20776.100).  I am using a MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1.

I am not sure what notes I am looking for.  I looked at a number of transactions but I did not see any notes in the memo field.

Yesterday, after my initial post, I did finally get in touch with a representative via chat who was patient and professional.  The rep had me find specific examples of transfers that didn't go through properly.  In spot checking some of the transfers, I noted a red arrow pointing left in the transaction details under splits.   At the direction of the rep I re-entered the category and hit "Save" which then forced the transfer through to the correct account.  At some point, and at the time I was not doing anything with the Q2018, the program crashed.  The rep actually witnessed the crash with the results being incorrect balances and duplicated accounts.  I uninstalled, re-downloded and reinstalled the product.  The rep had me export the data from a recent back-up to a Quicken for Windows file and then import that file into the Quicken for Mac.  I connected with several financial institutions and updated.  When we finished, it seemed to be working.

And at this point it may work, but then, I lost hours of work on my personal finances  along with hours invested trying to make the program work either on my own or with tech support chat.  I have used Quicken for years, both Windows and Mac.  I do not have confidence in this product at this point.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

Don, yes, current version runs fine on High Sierra.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: Any update on when team will address portfolio view not remembering column widths? Or when bond mutual fund shares incorrectly assigned during migration from Q-Windows as "Bonds" can be correctly re-designated as "Mutual Funds"? Both issues have been reported using the tool at v. 5.2.x. Thanks. 

@QuickenMarcus, that's good news on the column widths. On the security type, I personally don't care about repairing the glitch in importing from Q-Windows. That was a one-time, long-ago event, and I've been living happily in Quicken for Mac for six months. I now have 10+ years of transactions in these securities, which Quicken now thinks are bonds, but are really bond mutual funds. It's a small issue, but annoying. 

I should mention again that the lack of ability to change a Bond type to a Mutual Fund (the option is grayed out) is only my conjectural solution to the actual anomaly that I have observed with these securities since importing my data from Q-Windows. The actual anomaly is that whenever I download reinvested dividends in these securities from Vanguard, the security price is inflated by a factor of 100 and the numbers of shares reduced by a similar factor. Interestingly, when I download exchanges (equal sales and reinvestment of different securities within a retirement account), the prices are recorded correctly. I don't know about sales and withdrawal of proceeds, because I haven't done any since the import. 

Quicken support suggested I change the security type to Mutual Fund, as it was in Q-Windows, but of course that option is grayed out in the application. 
  • Brad1
    Brad1 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

Time?  I've been waiting A DECADE.    I seriously will consider just giving up on Quicken and any piece of finance tracking software.  It's arguably not worth the time.  In the early 2000s, Quicken actually saved me time.  These days, I can barely make that argument.  Most banks and credit cards have online access and accounts.  It just means logging in to multiple places (which I kind of need to do now anyway.)   I just fear there may no longer be a strong case for the usefulness of something like Quicken.  I'm tired of the aggravation of using an outdated product and tired of the promises of new versions that are a step backward in terms of features.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Brad said:

Well, there are many that are frustrated with setbacks and the pace of progress and the set of priorities that are especially leaving QM2007 users in the lurch. I would prefer that features that meet the needs of these loyal users would have some of the greatest priority...especially columnar reports, more functional transaction detail report, carrying forward saved reports, batch editing to work on splits, as a starting point...and ideally the support of sub-classes (like either sub-tags or grouping of tags, rather than simply converting them all to basic tags). Without these, it is impossible for some (like myself) to upgrade.

BUT simply complaining about it though will not achieve anything. You can either try to be constructive by giving your feedback on specifics, by either voting on features via this forum or sending feedback via the software. Or you can vote with your feet and find another product that meets your needs.

The encouraging news is that although for a while Quicken's efforts were focused on this whole separation from Intuit, now that most of that is behind them, let's hope that there are no new distractions and the renewed focus can be on delivering features at a more meaningful pace...

That's my 2 cents....

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Has anyone use the quicken 2018 Investing product. I just upgraded from 2017 to 2018 Premier on my Mac and noticed the Quicken investing web site gives instructions to sync investments but the instructions are not even close to how the mac product works Might be written for windows user only). Any help would be helpful. I would like to sync my quicken 2018 investments to this site and be able to use the alert and research tools for investment stocks etc
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've just purchased Quicken for mac 2018.  It downloaded  and installed just fine, but when a tried to open it, I get a do-loop where it asks me to drag it into Applications.  I did that as well, but the same screen opens again and asks me to drag it into Applications.  I did that as well, but when the same message kept coming up.  Next time I tried to repeat dragging it into Applications..  Message now, "There is a copy of Quicken 2018 already in applications.  Do you want to replace that with this version?"
    I could NEVER open it to start working n the new version.  HELP!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bob said:

As you've seen, bonds are treated special which is the reason we block switching to a different security type.  My dev asked me what would he change the numbers to if the type was changed.  My gut says we wouldn't change the numbers at all and assume the change is happening for the reason you want to change it which is that the Mac messed up an import or that someone thought they were setting up a bond but then realized it should be a mutual fund.  Anyway, let me investigate this more.  I believe Quicken Windows lets one switch so I'll see what they do when someone makes that change.  You're not the only one who has run into this so I've heard the request before.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Alan said:

Alan, I'm sorry you ran into issues.  The strange thing is that Quicken 2017 and 2018 are pretty much the same product with the exception of the new things we added for 2018 but the register and underlying database is the same.  In other words, there shouldn't be any difference opening a file in 2017 vs 2018. 

In any case, it sounds like you're set up again so I won't waste any more of your time.  I would also personally feel the same way you do so I fully understand your point.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited November 2017
    Options

I've just purchased Quicken for mac 2018.  It downloaded  and installed just fine, but when a tried to open it, I get a do-loop where it asks me to drag it into Applications.  I did that as well, but the same screen opens again and asks me to drag it into Applications.  I did that as well, but when the same message kept coming up.  Next time I tried to repeat dragging it into Applications..  Message now, "There is a copy of Quicken 2018 already in applications.  Do you want to replace that with this version?"
    I could NEVER open it to start working n the new version.  HELP!

Sandra, it sounds like you continue to try to open Quicken from the DMG Window.  This is the screen that shows the Quicken icon and the Application folder.  Close this window.  Once you drag Quicken to the application folder you don't need it anymore.  In the Finder, go to the Application folder and double click on the Quicken application in that folder and everything will work fine after this. 

This is how most Mac apps work so keep this in mind when you install a future Mac app.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I bank with USAA and all my banking (savings and checking account stopped when I installed Quicken 2018 saying bank website is down which it is not so something problem with new 2018 and connections to USAA Federal Savings Bank.
This discussion has been closed.