Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Investments (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Edit/Delete the Default Portfolio Views (6 Legacy Votes)

USMA74USMA74 Member ✭✭
There  are about 10 default portfolio views in the drop-down list on the "Show" button on the Portfolio Screen.  I'd like to be able to delete and/or reorder these default views entirely, in favor of using my own customized views only.  I'd like to be able to right click on any view in the dropdown list and have the option to delete it, and also be able to drag and drop existing views into the order I want them to appear.  This would make the Portfolio View screen more user friendly.
6 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I agree that it would be nice to be able to create additional Portfolio views. It's not clear why the number is fixed at 18. Some of these take a long time to update, so that might be part of the explanation.

One problem with the current implementation is that unlike the reports, you can change the pre-configured views and there is no way to revert to the default settings. Something like what they have done for "My saved reports" might be good.

Note however that at least you can rename any of the views to fit your needs.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Jim - I think you can revert to the default settings if you customise a view - in the Customise Current View window there's a "Reset View" button at the bottom left which restores the defaults:

US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
    edited November 2019

I stand corrected.

Do you know what that does if you have changed the name of the view? Does it change it back to both the original name and the original settings? That could be confusing.

I would want a recent backup before trying that! 
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I just experimented with one of the default views that I don’t use; I changed the name and removed some columns, then pressed reset. It took it back to the original state, including the name (the screenshot above is the one I used after I had pressed reset).

So yes, it knew that it was the Employee Stock Options view, even though I had mangled it considerably, and I agree it’s a risky button to press without a recent backup, particularly if you’ve spent a lot of time setting up a view just how you want it.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I am adding my vote to your idea mostly on principle.  As Jim has identified, you can rename and customize all 18 views currently, but reordering would involve re-creating two views completely - not desirable.  

In my case, I have used all 18 views (most of the originals are original, the Custom ones are my customized versions).  These have been pretty set for me for 20+ years, so I know where to look in the list to find the view I want.  So I don't really need your idea implemented for me, but it seems like the "right" thing to do.  That is not to say it would be easy to do or will be done.  

If would append to your idea that an expansion above 18 views would benefit many users.
  • USMA74USMA74 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks.  I'm a 25+ yr user also, and heavy into investments.  For me, it's primarily a "clean design" issue that further allows a user - particularly "power users" - to customize their screens.  

Although the Reports screens are a bit more complex, I find them fairly intuitive.  The Portfolio views are not - even the default views are not in any logical order.  The ability to reorder the drop-down list would be my most preferable option if I could only have one (vs. ability to also delete).
  • Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

I still think this would be a valuable improvement. There was a new discussion on this topic just today.