Edit/Delete the Default Portfolio Views (6 Legacy Votes)

Options
USMA74
USMA74 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
There  are about 10 default portfolio views in the drop-down list on the "Show" button on the Portfolio Screen.  I'd like to be able to delete and/or reorder these default views entirely, in favor of using my own customized views only.  I'd like to be able to right click on any view in the dropdown list and have the option to delete it, and also be able to drag and drop existing views into the order I want them to appear.  This would make the Portfolio View screen more user friendly.
20 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I agree that it would be nice to be able to create additional Portfolio views. It's not clear why the number is fixed at 18. Some of these take a long time to update, so that might be part of the explanation.

One problem with the current implementation is that unlike the reports, you can change the pre-configured views and there is no way to revert to the default settings. Something like what they have done for "My saved reports" might be good.

Note however that at least you can rename any of the views to fit your needs.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

Jim - I think you can revert to the default settings if you customise a view - in the Customise Current View window there's a "Reset View" button at the bottom left which restores the defaults:

US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2019
    Options

I stand corrected.

Do you know what that does if you have changed the name of the view? Does it change it back to both the original name and the original settings? That could be confusing.

I would want a recent backup before trying that! 
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

I just experimented with one of the default views that I don’t use; I changed the name and removed some columns, then pressed reset. It took it back to the original state, including the name (the screenshot above is the one I used after I had pressed reset).

So yes, it knew that it was the Employee Stock Options view, even though I had mangled it considerably, and I agree it’s a risky button to press without a recent backup, particularly if you’ve spent a lot of time setting up a view just how you want it.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I am adding my vote to your idea mostly on principle.  As Jim has identified, you can rename and customize all 18 views currently, but reordering would involve re-creating two views completely - not desirable.  

In my case, I have used all 18 views (most of the originals are original, the Custom ones are my customized versions).  These have been pretty set for me for 20+ years, so I know where to look in the list to find the view I want.  So I don't really need your idea implemented for me, but it seems like the "right" thing to do.  That is not to say it would be easy to do or will be done.  

If would append to your idea that an expansion above 18 views would benefit many users.
  • USMA74
    USMA74 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thanks.  I'm a 25+ yr user also, and heavy into investments.  For me, it's primarily a "clean design" issue that further allows a user - particularly "power users" - to customize their screens.  

Although the Reports screens are a bit more complex, I find them fairly intuitive.  The Portfolio views are not - even the default views are not in any logical order.  The ability to reorder the drop-down list would be my most preferable option if I could only have one (vs. ability to also delete).
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• Jim_Harman
    Options
    I still think this would be a valuable improvement. There was a new discussion on this topic just today.

• nkoss
    nkoss Member ✭✭
    Options
    All I ask for is to be able to re-order the portfolio views. Other than that, the portfolio system is fine.
  • Pete Hasbrook
    Options
    I would like to be able to re-order the views in the portfolio, and delete ones I no longer use. I have used Quicken and investments for 25+ years, and my portfolio statement order has changed, and I no longer have the securities that I created some views for.
  • wiensken
    wiensken Member ✭✭
    Options
    I strongly support being able to re-arrange the order the the portfolio views. It would also be nice to make a copy of a portfolio view (many of my views are very similar in their columns so it would be nice not to have to start from scratch every time. Nice to make a copy of an existing view and then edit that view.
    Quicken user since 1996 (MS-DOS). When Quicken's head office was in Edmonton Alberta!
  • EJ_70
    EJ_70 Member
    Options
    I would support this change to the options;
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

Note that since this Idea was created, Quicken has added 10 views Custom10 - Custom19 to the list, which is an improvement.

But the other requests, to be able to rearrange, delete, and presumably add views, would still be nice improvements. Others have requested the ability to copy a view, so it could be used as a template for further modifications.

• Lee Wing
    Lee Wing Member ✭✭
    Options
    I too would like to be able to rearrange the Portfolio view drop down list in the order I desire.
  • bobbakerarizona
    bobbakerarizona Member ✭✭✭
    Options

To be able to rearrange, delete, and presumably add views, would still be nice improvements. Others have requested the ability to copy a view, so it could be used as a template for further modifications.

I really would like the ability to rearrange the views! PLEASE!

• JCMcCarter
    JCMcCarter Member ✭✭
    Options

I very much support the ability to copy a portfolio to one of the custom views so that I can make minor modifications to the portfolio in the "new" view!

Also rearranging the order of the views would certainly be VERY helpful.

These requests have been made (and ignored by Quicken) many times. The subscription price keeps going up so you'd think that Quicken could afford to be more responsive. Quicken support is just plain HORRIBLE! (Forgive the shouting!)

• BUSSTUFJG@GMAIL.COM
    Options

I would very much like the ability to delete a portfolio view

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the people who want to delete a view, I hope you know that you can reset the view to its defaults.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • workindad
    workindad Member ✭✭
    Options

Adding my vote for this.