Discover online is downloading weird character, but blank, transactions

When downloading my Discover transactions, I am getting bogus, blank entries. For example:
Heoe L Zdn   0.00
Vcztz Sou   0.00

I called Discover and they are not seeing them and they said it would be a question for Quicken. Have you seen this? What is causing it? I would like to resolve....

Vicki

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vickie,
    How are you doing that download?  When you do TOOLS, Account List, what does it say in the "Transactions Download" column across from your Discover account?
    Also, WHICH "Discover" are you using?  there are several.  The one that you're using is shown on the same dialog as the download method.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• This dude
    This dude Member ✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    > This is a long standing issue. As I recall, it's related to Discover exceeding the character length in the Memo or Payee field that is allowed under an older OFX standard, but that is still being used for the qfx file download. The extra characters cause quicken to treat the transactions as 2 transactions, one being a zero dollar amount.
    >
    > Adding- I'm sure your still wondering after all these years (and it has been years), why hasn't it been resolved?  Good Question that you won't find the answer to here unless maybe the Quicken CEO sees it and says "This is just dumb, let's get this fixed".

Just noting that it's been another few years and Quicken hasn't devoted the 10 hours or so of programing time needed to fix this issue.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This dude said:
    > @markus1957 said:
    > This is a long standing issue. As I recall, it's related to Discover exceeding the character length in the Memo or Payee field that is allowed under an older OFX standard, but that is still being used for the qfx file download. The extra characters cause quicken to treat the transactions as 2 transactions, one being a zero dollar amount.
    >
    > Adding- I'm sure your still wondering after all these years (and it has been years), why hasn't it been resolved?  Good Question that you won't find the answer to here unless maybe the Quicken CEO sees it and says "This is just dumb, let's get this fixed".

Just noting that it's been another few years and Quicken hasn't devoted the 10 hours or so of programing time needed to fix this issue.

Discover's programmers produce a faulty download and you blame Quicken.  You need to complain to Discover to fix their process.  This only happens with transactions that take up two lines in their billing statements.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dooby
    Dooby Member
    Come on Quicken - Please fix this bug in the Discover Card downloading of transactions.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Dooby

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, however, this is an older post and is less likely to get an answer.

I suggest creating a new post for better visibility.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849429/how-to-add-a-post-to-the-community

Be sure to include a description of the issue, along with any error messages, as well as the version/release of Quicken that you're using.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.