Allow narrower windows (Why are the Q Mac register windows so huge?) (+7 Merged Votes)

Options
2»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @Barbara O'Keeffe I was going to refer you to the existing Idea post for this same issue, but I see you have already commented in that thread back in 2020. [EDIT: A moderator has merged your post into that existing Idea thread.]

I'd note that that idea post has garnered only 16 votes (9 in the counter plus 7 "merged" votes from other threads merged into that one) over the past 3 years. I'm not saying the idea of being able to shrink the Quicken main window smaller doesn't have merit, but it seems it's not an issue which a large number of Quicken Mac users are interested in. I suppose that's not surprising, as I'd imagine the majority of Quicken Mac users do their work on a larger screen (iMac, or Mini + monitor), but that doesn't help those like you who are using a small laptop. 

That all said, there is one trick you can use to significantly accomplish what you want. When you're working on your recital cards, for instance, open the credit card register in a new window (double-click the account in the left sidebar). Then close the Quicken main window. The account-only window can be resized much, much smaller than the main window — about 20% narrower and nearly 50% shorter — so it makes it easier to view something else at the same time. Whenever you want to go back to the main Quicken window, pull down the Window menu and look for your file name (it's just above "Account Status" on the menu), or simply press Command+1. This may not go as far as you'd wish, but it definitely gets you part-way there.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Barbara O'Keeffe,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MEP
    MEP Member
    Options
    Cannot find voting icon for resizing Quicken window (Mac)
  • jacobs
    Options
    MEP said:
    Cannot find voting icon for resizing Quicken window (Mac)
    @MEP The voting icon always appears below the first post in a thread. So usually scrolling to the top of the page gets you there — but in this case, the thread has gone onto a second page of comments, so you need to click on the "1" icon to navigate to the first page of the thread. Or just click here. In the yellow box under the first post, click the dark gray arrow under the counter; it will change to a light gray arrow when your vote has been counted.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    Options

I'm not sure what more people can comment about this request; it's pretty straightforward. As is the reason for wanting to be able to make the Quicken window smaller: to be able to see information in other applications' windows to compare or copy to Quicken. There are many reasons one would want to do this, the most common being viewing a bank/credit card/brokerage statement along with Quicken.

But people wanting to see such change should at least add your vote on the first page of this thread.