Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Allow narrower windows (Why are the register windows so huge?)

guitarian
guitarian Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Display/UI (Mac)
Please allow narrower windows to only show selected columns.

I recently had to buy Quicken 2019 (after using 2007 until it was no longer supported). I have quite a few complaints, but my main question is Why can't I shrink the register window?
It takes up over half of my screen for no reason. I only use 7 columns but instead of making the window smaller, the register just shows about 30% white screen (wasted space) on the right side of the window. If I adjust or even remove the accounts bar, it simply slides the columns to the left and creates even more blank/wasted space. Quicken 2007 also limited the amount you could shrink the register windows, but they were about half the size.
Is there something I'm missing (besides about half of my screen)?
Thanks
8 votes

New · Last Updated

Best Answers

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Like any Mac window, move your cursor over to the right edge until it turns into a left/right arrow, then drag the right edge to the left, shrinking the window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • guitarian
    guitarian Member ✭✭
    Hi RickO,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, like any Mac window, the size should be changed by the cursor in the lower right corner. Unfortunately, Quicken (for Mac, at least) limits the smallest size to over half of the screen width and over half of the screen height.
    The double-arrow cursor becomes a single arrow cursor and I am stuck with way too much empty, unused space taking up real estate on my screen.
    Thanks, Guitarian

• guitarian
    guitarian Member ✭✭
    I did not know one could do that. Great suggestion. Not a perfect solution but certainly reduces size.
    Thanks RickO!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have turned this into an IDEA thread so others can also vote on it. 
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • guitarian
    guitarian Member ✭✭
    I recently updated to Version 5.12.3. Today I clicked on the lower right corner of the account page and the window grew about 2 more inches!
    I didn't even try to move the cursor but as soon as I clicked, it showed only the sizing arrow to increase size and would not let me shrink the screen back to the smaller size.
    WHY do the windows have to be so large, and now even larger?
  • guitarian
    guitarian Member ✭✭
    I recovered Q using my 8/1 backup file. The screen was originally the older size, but when I repeated my previous action of clicking on the lower right corner, the window lengthened by about 15%.
    I then reverted back to my saved 9/1 file. The window is back to its "normal" size, so I suppose I just have to make sure I don't let my cursor get too close to the sizing arrows.
    But I'll be a PItA and ask again, why do the windows have to be so damn large?
  • Ben Michaud
    Ben Michaud Member ✭✭
    Especially after the last major release of Quicken for Mac, I can't reduce the size of the main Quicken window, even after I close the accounts left navigation bar. I want to be able to have both Quicken and my web browser or other window on the right of it and be able to see the figures in both, but I can't make the size of the overall window smaller.

Quicken Premier 2019: Version 5.12.3 (Build 512.29258.100)
    macOS 10.14.6
  • Ben Michaud
    Ben Michaud Member ✭✭
    Thanks @jacobs I voted and the count went up to a whopping 3. In the meantime, I guess I shuffle windows around.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Ben Michaud I think the vote total might grow; they made some change in the latest upgrade that increased the minimum size of the window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993