Blank registers with correct account balances

I am using Quicken Deluxe 2019 (just downloaded) but have been using Quicken for many years. This week I encountered a problem with blank registers. The account balances on the left of the page are correct but all registers are blank. I saw other blogs here and used QcleanUI, reinstalled Quicken but nothing helped. File validate doesn't work - I get an error message that the file is in use by others. It won't let me reinstall a backup because it says the file already exists.

I am very frustrated. This is my first problem with Quicken and it is painful.

Ideas?

Best Answer

• Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. But after spending two sessions (I had to install Windows Updates which took too long to stay online so I had to call back) with Quicken telephone support for a total of 3 hours, they fixed my Quicken Deluxe. We went through so many attempts including QcleanUI twice, reinstalling, restarting, changing settings and nothing worked. Then the rep realized that I couldn't enter a new transaction, save a file or anything. So she had me go to Windows Setting > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Ransomware Protection and finally turn OFF Controlled Folder Access. I restarted the computer and wa-la....Quicken is working perfectly. Great perseverance, patience and diligence by the Quicken Customer Service. I just want to pass this along in case anyone else has this problem. Again, thank you to everyone.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? What is the full name of your data file? Are you using OneDrive or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a test, you can have Quicken change the name of the file when doing the Restore which is the other option from "overwriting".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    Greg - The data file is in C:users/username/documents/filename
    The backup is in Dropbox/Quicken/Quicken Backup/filename. I also save the file on an USB drive. I thought 2 backups would be safer. But, I'm at a loss.

Thanks for asking,
    Rick
  • Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    Splasker, When I tried that, Quicken told me that it couldn't find the file and I had to try again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick
  • Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    UKR - I saw this post when I was researching the problem. I verified that I do not have any data filtered. Thank you for the link and the suggestions.

Rick
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    After you renamed the Quicken shared folders, did you reboot Windows?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Rick0930 said:
    Greg - The data file is in C:users/username/documents/filename
    The backup is in Dropbox/Quicken/Quicken Backup/filename. I also save the file on an USB drive. I thought 2 backups would be safer. But, I'm at a loss.

Thanks for asking,
    Rick
    Are you sure it's not C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken?

Are you using OneDrive or Google Backup?
  • Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I do not have any shared Quicken folders. The backup file is the only file in Dropbox and that is not shared with anyone. But I rebooted Windows many times anyway. Thanks for the tip, Rick
  • Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    Greg,

I verified that the path for the QDF datafile is C:\Users\username\Documents\filename. It is not in the Quicken folder. It has always been where it is now. I never moved it.

I do not use OneDrive or Google Backup. I use Dropbox.

Thanks for the follow up,
    Rick
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Are you still getting the file is in use by others when trying to validate your data file? Instead of restoring a backup, you can just change the file extension from QDF-backup to QDF and then open it. Can you try moving the data file to the Quicken folder in Documents and then opening it?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Rick0930 said:
    Sherlock, I do not have any shared Quicken folders. The backup file is the only file in Dropbox and that is not shared with anyone. But I rebooted Windows many times anyway. Thanks for the tip, Rick
    I suspect you may not have followed the instructions regarding Quicken shared folders:  https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Rick0930
    Rick0930 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. But after spending two sessions (I had to install Windows Updates which took too long to stay online so I had to call back) with Quicken telephone support for a total of 3 hours, they fixed my Quicken Deluxe. We went through so many attempts including QcleanUI twice, reinstalling, restarting, changing settings and nothing worked. Then the rep realized that I couldn't enter a new transaction, save a file or anything. So she had me go to Windows Setting > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Ransomware Protection and finally turn OFF Controlled Folder Access. I restarted the computer and wa-la....Quicken is working perfectly. Great perseverance, patience and diligence by the Quicken Customer Service. I just want to pass this along in case anyone else has this problem. Again, thank you to everyone.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the eventual  resolution.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.