Quicken for Mac v5.13 Released

2

Comments

  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    I think one of our Care people moved the discussion about the "Ad" to another forum post.  Please continue to post comments there so we can keep this post to be just about the 5.13 release. Thanks.
  • Scott FloryScott Flory Member ✭✭
    I updated and converted my file this morning, but then saw my categories had been bungled. My "Utilities" category and ALL sub categories were gone! Then a new category with some crazy long name (like : BEDC DJSL NFND<D.... ) appeared.
    My scheduled transactions that used to use those categories all were now "Uncategorized".

    I restored from the "pre-update" backup and things are fine.
    I have decided to just keep this and move forward... but has this "pre-update" file not been converted for the new release? or do I worry about it? Things "seem" fine.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2
    I am noticing an interesting situation ; in one of my MM accounts the number lots in the Portfolio View  do not show all the lots. The register has all the lots. The total $$ in the particular fund are correct. I am noticing this in just one MM account. has anyone observed a similar situation?

    If memory serves me I believe this issue has come up in the past but I am unable to search correctly to find a similar discussion so I am posting here
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another issue that is just occurring; When I sell/close an option ..a call option..not a covered call Qm has in 5.12 allowed me to edit the buy to cover & correct the transaction as a sell. Which is what it is. My Fi in this case WFA has this noted correctly under activities but QM wants it to show buy to cover. Up until recently I was able to change the transaction & be done with it. NOW QM is continuing to download the same transactions as a buy to cover, so every time I download from the Fi I get these past transactions & need to delete them. 

    Anyone seeing this issue?
  • rdrichrdrich Member ✭✭
    Are there reports for investments? If so, I can't find them.

    And now with Mac OS Catalina I can't even open Q2007 for Mac at all, I'm SOL for investments reporting!?

    Am I missing something? This is a huge gap for me.
  • RCinNJRCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    rdrich said:
    And now with Mac OS Catalina I can't even open Q2007 for Mac at all, 
    Sorry rdrich. It's been reported for years that with Catalina Apple was going to kill all legacy 32 bit applications, which includes Q2007. You need to revert your OS or move to a 64 bit accounting application. I haven't updated to Catalina for this reason-- not for Quicken since I use 2019, but for other 32 bit apps I don't want to give up yet.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCinNJ said:
    rdrich said:
    And now with Mac OS Catalina I can't even open Q2007 for Mac at all, 
    Sorry rdrich. It's been reported for years that with Catalina Apple was going to kill all legacy 32 bit applications, which includes Q2007. You need to revert your OS or move to a 64 bit accounting application. I haven't updated to Catalina for this reason-- not for Quicken since I use 2019, but for other 32 bit apps I don't want to give up yet.
    As per the release notes, Quicken has now developed a cloud-based converter to get around the 32-bit limitation of the original built-in converters. There are no obvious details on where or how to access this or the full scope of its functionality but there seems to be hope for those QM2007 users that have migrated to Catalina.

    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

    (Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    As per the release notes, Quicken has now developed a cloud-based converter to get around the 32-bit limitation of the original built-in converters. There are no obvious details on where or how to access this or the full scope of its functionality but there seems to be hope for those QM2007 users that have migrated to Catalina.
    You create a new file from a Quicken 2007 data file, just as before, and it imports into a Quicken 2019 data file. This works transparently; there's nothing you need to do to access it.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rdrichrdrich Member ✭✭
    Back to my original problem...

    Does QM2019 v5.13 have investment reports?

    If it does, then my problem with the QM2007 32-bit app may not be such a big one.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would say investment reports in QM are still pretty much non existent. They just added a realized gains  in the reports. But if I understand what you are looking for  ( I use Qw as a reference) still lots to do . 
  • rob-100rob-100 Member
    hi, i tried to download my banking data and the new release does not recognize the downloaded data.
  • I can't follow all of the comments but: this update eliminated the ability to see scheduled transactions in the register (at least for Quicken for Mac). They show up as bills, but that is not very convenient. Javier from Quicken help said they hadn't heard of any problems...and he referred me to this group for help. Any thoughts? I'm a very simple user (but not an idiot). Else, I'm going to revert to a pre-updated back-up copy of quicken, if I can.
    Thanks, M.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...this update eliminated the ability to see scheduled transactions in the register (at least for Quicken for Mac). They show up as bills, but that is not very convenient.
    With one of your account registers selected in the sidebar, click top menu Accounts > Settings. Down toward the bottom of the settings panel are the options for display of scheduled transactions in the register (see screenshot below). My guess is that yours is set to "Hide all". 


    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rdrich said:
    Back to my original problem...

    Does QM2019 v5.13 have investment reports?
    Yes. People often assume they're not there, because they are (strangely) not on the Reports menu. But you can generate a pretty extensive number of reports by setting your Portfolio to show what you want in terms of holdings or performance and then printing a report from the Portfolio screen. It is not nearly perfect or completely flexible, as one would wish for with reports, but for many users, it's good enough for now.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rdrichrdrich Member ✭✭
    I will try that -- printing from the portfolio screen.
  • jackvinsonjackvinson Member ✭✭
    Hello. I've been using a service on my phone (LevelUp) that creates transactions that look like "LEVELUP*VendorName". Most of the vendors are either restaurants or groceries. I want to create a rule that looks at the VendorName and uses that as the Payee.

    However, the asterisk seems to break any rules. When I create a rule that has "contains VendorName" in the condition, it doesn't match any of the transactions and I have to modify the payee manually. And I cannot create a rule that uses "LEVELUP*VendorName" because the * is treated as punctuation in the rule setup.
  • I used to track every one of my 60-plus accounts with Quicken. I had every bank account, credit card, asset, retirement, investment and liability linked to the software. So to say I’m a power-user of this product would be an understatement.
  • caramcaram Member ✭✭
    edited November 9
    There is still a regression with Autocompletion in 5.13.

    In the example below, autocompletion selects the corrects entry in the register, but NOT in the dropdown list. Unfortunately, when I press TAB, the correct entry is replaced by the (incorrect) one from the dropdown list...

    It's most unfortunate, because I press "lég" instead of "leg" to get around the other regression from 5.12 which no longer seems to use diacritic search. I believe this latter bug should be a one-line fix, i.e. adding the diacritic option to the search function.

    And BTW, there is still the regression that Uppercase payees turn to lowercase.
  • wprotherowprothero Member ✭✭
    I'm on a Mac, OS 10.14.6. When I started my computer this morning, a dialog window came up asking if I wanted to update my Quicken to V5.13. I clicked Yes and it downloaded, then started presenting me with initiation dialogs like: "Do I want to start from a new installation?" I immediately quit out of that program. I then ran Quicken normally and got the upgrade dialog, which I accepted.

    So, if I would have accepted the first dialog, my entire financial records could have gotten screwed. Also, what is Quicken doing putting initialization software directly into my OS?

    I don't like it. It could have caused me a world of grief and wasted time.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wprothero No, you've just misunderstood what happened. Installing the update would not have deleted your existing Quicken data file(s). Normally, after a properly-installed update, Quicken will just reopen your last-used data file. For some reason, the first time you ran the updater, it didn't know the location of your data file, so you got the Let's Get Started screen. You could have simply gone to File > Open Recent and opened your data file from there. Or you could have quit Quicken, found your current data file, and double-clicked it to launch Quicken and open that file.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Michael 102Michael 102 Member ✭✭
    The update has completely messed up reports we depend upon and now they show that we have thousands of dollars more than we really do. I had a copy of Quicken 5.12.4 on another computer and created a quick test to confirm my conclusions. The problem comes from transfers. See the attached Transaction Detail.png showing a split transaction. I'm putting a category on a transfer so I can report on the category.

    See the attached Quicken 5.12 Report.png file. It shows the report as it worked in 5.12. If I open that file in Quicken 5.13, the same report shows nothing. It appears that the 5.13 report ignores categories if there is a transfer.

    This is a huge problem and really messes up our finances. I wish we had all the money our reports make us think we do.

    I made a reproducible scenario pretty quickly. I have a 5.12 file where the report works great and once you upgrade to 5.13 it doesn't work. Unfortunately, the forum won't let me upload that type of file. If someone wants it, I can send it.
  • ShingShing Member ✭✭
    edited November 10
    > @Michael 102 said:
    > The update has completely messed up reports we depend upon and now they show that we have thousands of dollars more than we really do. I had a copy of Quicken 5.12.4 on another computer and created a quick test to confirm my conclusions. The problem comes from transfers. See the attached Transaction Detail.png showing a split transaction. I'm putting a category on a transfer so I can report on the category.
    >
    > See the attached Quicken 5.12 Report.png file. It shows the report as it worked in 5.12. If I open that file in Quicken 5.13, the same report shows nothing. It appears that the 5.13 report ignores categories if there is a transfer.
    >
    > This is a huge problem and really messes up our finances. I wish we had all the money our reports make us think we do.
    >
    > I made a reproducible scenario pretty quickly. I have a 5.12 file where the report works great and once you upgrade to 5.13 it doesn't work. Unfortunately, the forum won't let me upload that type of file. If someone wants it, I can send it.

    From a pure "Accounting 101" perspective, what you're doing is not correct. A transaction should impact either the balance sheet or the income statement but not both. In your example, you're trying to take $1,000 and count it as both revenue ("Savings:401k" is an income statement item) and an asset ("401K" is a balance sheet item). You can't do that in a double-entry bookkeeping system. In this example, this is a balance sheet transaction (credit Cash and debit 401k). This would not be considered revenue.

    I would take it a step further and say Quicken should not allow for both a category and transfer for the same line.

    I suggest using tags instead of categories in this example.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus Users importing from Quicken 2007 data files have all their investment income and expense categories that begin with a bullet (e.g. "•Div Income"), categories not used by subscription Quicken. With the new category Merge functionality, I thought it would/should be possible to merge an old Quicken 2007 investment category, which is no longer needed or reserved by the program, into one of the modern Quicken investment categories (e.g. "Investments:Dividend Income") -- but Quicken doesn't allow it. While I understand the program preventing a user from renaming or deleting or merging out of existence one of its required categories, I don't understand why it would prevent a user from merging a non-required category (or sub-category) into one that is required. Can this behavior be changed, so those of us who want to clean up our imported Quicken 2007 data can do so? 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Austin@[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus I would love to see the functionality @jacobs described in the previous comment. Also refer to the following Idea thread for more info regarding this issue:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853345/delete-obsolete-required-categories#latest
  • ZoolookZoolook Member ✭✭
    edited November 11
    @Shing I think people are generally working around Quicken's way of dealing with transfers to try and create the picture they need, but then when QUicken changes the behavior of how transfers show in reports, it breaks things for a lot of people.

    I have a pretty standard report I've always used across any financial application which is my net savings rate across all accounts (so 401(k) contributions, investments, cash savings etc.) and I have to set this report up differently depending on the application, along side net costs of day to day living, including mortgages and loans.

    The problem comes down to which accounts you want to include, which transfers should be netted as zero (credit cards, or movement from 'Savings Account' to 'MMK Account' because that's not a net increase in savings) whereas a transfer from my checking account to Savings should be counted, and a transfer from savings to checking should offset any prior transfers going the other way.

    [removed] makes this really easy because a) it always nets across accounts included in the report, but shows transfers to accounts not included in the report as an outgoing and b) it posts interest charges in the actual account that charge comes from, unlike quicken that splits the transaction from the payment account and makes it look like you paid interest on your checking account.

    I find most of the basic reports in QFM quite useless because of these reasons, and the fact they all show "tax" has the highest category every month, which is really not that informative.

    I agree with you that this somewhat breaks accounting rules (I work in a bank and am the treasurer for my building) but as you say Quicken doesn't really support either the correct method, or even workarounds well.

    I hadn't considered using Tags to try and achieve this - it might actually solve my "Principle/Interest" split hatred if I just tag both of them as Net Mortgage.
  • Michael 102Michael 102 Member ✭✭
    edited November 11
    @Shing I think my situation is as @Zoolook describes: I'm just trying to find a way to get the data out of Quicken in a way that is useful to me. I don't believe Q2007 and earlier allowed that concept. After I upgraded ~2 years ago to QFM, I started to find that I was able to put a category on a transfer and like what I'm able to do.

    @Zoolook if [removed] has better reporting, maybe I need to check it out. I tried it a few years ago and it was lacking in a lot of areas. Maybe they've improved faster than Quicken. My annual Quicken renewal's coming up at the end of the month. Maybe I better investigate. Thanks for your thoughts on that.

    If Quicken wants to change the way it works, they need to warn us. There also needs to be a way to clean up the data so that the categories are removed from transfers.

    Quicken Markus I hope there's a quick fix for this. It's created a pretty big mess for reporting and understanding of our financial situation.
  • ZoolookZoolook Member ✭✭
    edited November 11
    @Michael102 So Banktivity is a strange beast, here are my honest-to-goodness thoughts. They vastly improved reporting in 6.0 a few years back, and there is a nice view I have which is just my Checking/Credit cards which nicely shows all net movements outside of those accounts. It's neat, all the numbers aggregate to the highest category, but are easily opened to show subcategories, and even better things like "Payroll" show the net income when aggregated, but gross amounts when opened. In QFM I'd need at least 3 reports to show a complete picture of net cash.

    The other thing they offer, which I already mentioned, is posting of interest charges on loans in the actual loan account. So my Checking report shows $2000 for mortgage, which is the total outgoing, but my interest report will show $800 interest on my mortgage account. Best of both worlds. TBH, that is the best feature of Banktivity. Banktivity also has better performance for the same size file and much more flexible reporting options, and they also allow you to see every reconciliation statement within the tool, something that really blows my mind that Quicken doesn't offer, even on PC. But that's the end of the good news...

    Those features were introduced in 2017 and since then it has stood still. Mobile is really terrible and Ian has stopped updating the blog and it's all gone silent over there. While Quicken used to be the silent begrudging monolith, it now has much better community engagement and is far more transparent about what's going on than IGG. Banktivity also has a litany of feature shortcomings and bugs that don't seem to be addressed - many have been there since 2006. Import rules are forgotten or just change autonomously, investment reporting is not as strong, the budget tool looks like an academic open source project and they have too many pie-charts where histograms would make a better visual (Quicken is also guilty of that, it seems no one went to UX school in either company).

    One real annoyance is that you must type the parent category first when assigning a category, rather than the subcategory and it still finding the right one. It seems Bantivity never quite figured out multi-table searches, something that's been native to Mac since 2003. So, I run both side by side in parallel.

    Bantivity is slightly better than QFM overall IMO, but not as good at QFW - but if you asked me which I thought was likely to have the best features 5 years from now, I'd have to say QFM.
  • ShingShing Member ✭✭
    edited November 13
    > @Zoolook said:
    > @Shing I think people are generally working around Quicken's way of dealing with transfers to try and create the picture they need, but then when QUicken changes the behavior of how transfers show in reports, it breaks things for a lot of people.
    >
    > I have a pretty standard report I've always used across any financial application which is my net savings rate across all accounts (so 401(k) contributions, investments, cash savings etc.) and I have to set this report up differently depending on the application, along side net costs of day to day living, including mortgages and loans.
    >
    > The problem comes down to which accounts you want to include, which transfers should be netted as zero (credit cards, or movement from 'Savings Account' to 'MMK Account' because that's not a net increase in savings) whereas a transfer from my checking account to Savings should be counted, and a transfer from savings to checking should offset any prior transfers going the other way.
    >
    > [removed] makes this really easy because a) it always nets across accounts included in the report, but shows transfers to accounts not included in the report as an outgoing and b) it posts interest charges in the actual account that charge comes from, unlike quicken that splits the transaction from the payment account and makes it look like you paid interest on your checking account.
    >
    > I find most of the basic reports in QFM quite useless because of these reasons, and the fact they all show "tax" has the highest category every month, which is really not that informative.
    >
    > I agree with you that this somewhat breaks accounting rules (I work in a bank and am the treasurer for my building) but as you say Quicken doesn't really support either the correct method, or even workarounds well.
    >
    > I hadn't considered using Tags to try and achieve this - it might actually solve my "Principle/Interest" split hatred if I just tag both of them as Net Mortgage.

    Something to consider: with 5.13 we can now include transfers on some reports. My thought is that you could create a "cash flow" transaction report using your checking account as the only account, your description as the payee, and setting the transfer option under the "Advanced" tab to Include only transfers with accounts outside the report.

    I was a Q2007 user until it wouldn't run on my Mac. The successor was a joke so I switched to [removed]. Last year I started beta testing QFM and after a few cycles of enhancements, I switched back. While it is still missing some of the features from Q2007, it also has new features I like. I believe Quicken is committed to continual improvements to QFM and I look forward to each new beta build! (And looking forward to, hopefully, the day QFM is on par with QFW.)
  • Michael 102Michael 102 Member ✭✭
    edited November 12
    @Shing I'm going to have to look at which reports in 5.13 now support transfers and see if that can help with my reporting needs. I used Q2007 until about 2 years ago. I've also used [removed] for several years for other some other accounts I've managed that had fairly simple needs. I don't use it that often now, as I'm trying to close down the one remaining account.

    @Zoolook thanks for your comments on [removed]. It's scary that Ian's gone silent. I've periodically followed them when I was trying to find a solution for Q2007. Since I upgraded to QFM 2 years ago, I've not paid too much attention to them (or [removed]).


    *Quicken People* do you have any comment on the problem I'm reporting? Someone there apparently has time to edit our posts to remove your competitor's names, but doesn't bother to comment about a real problem I'm facing. I was hoping to see some kind of comment. Maybe I'm going to have to find time to call support. This is a *huge* problem for us and you've seemed interested in finding out problems people face with new releases.
  • DavidClarkeDavidClarke Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Mac sucks. Every time I try to download bank accounts, I have to reset each account separately. This has been going on for a while. In years past every account downloaded transactions with no issues. Now it just sucks. Deluxe 2020
Sign In or Register to comment.