Bank of America Issues...OL-393-A 2/28/20

Options

Answers

• weez9331
    weez9331 Member ✭✭
    Options
    As of earlier this week, all my BOA checking and savings accounts receive error OL-393A. I have not changed any of the accounts, all old accounts are closed, general tabs are correct. I did search and find other issues with BOA but not this particular one. Anyone else receiving this?
  • lbsunbum
    lbsunbum Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've had the same problem, OL-393-A, for two days now. Today I deactivated the bill pay thru Quicken and no more error. I did not have any additional transactions to download so the real test will come after the weekend.
  • Bill2
    Bill2 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I have a checking account with online connection via Bank of America- All Other States and Direct Connect. When I try to deactivate, I get a message stating that "... Cancel any pending payments and repeating payments." When I select the yes button on "do you want to continue", I then get this message: "There are online payments to send for this account. You must delete these payments from the register or online center before you can delete the account." When I try and delete the online payments, some of them deleted successfully, but some of them will not delete, accompanied by this message: "This is an online payment that was sent as part of an uncompleted online connection. You must complete the connection before you can change or delete the payment."

I have payments that are going to be late due to this. If I make the payments directly from the Bank of America website, when the online connection is restored, is Quicken going to make a second payment, and I will end up making double payments? Or will I be able to immediately cancel the second payments at that point and avoid the double payment? What a mess.

I've gone for years without any online problems that were not resolved within a matter of hours. Now that I am on the "subscription" plan, days are going by without issues being addressed. (Removed-Disruptive)
  • Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem, although it seems the bank is downloading the transactions correctly in all accounts, just receiving this error code
  • Bill Blakey
    Bill Blakey Member ✭✭
    Options
    So I'm trying to change the connection method from Bank of America- All Other States to Bank of America- Quicken as a couple of you have suggested, but I do not see that option (I pasted a screenshot of what I'm seeing) when I try to activate again.

So how do I choose that -Quicken option?
  • weez9331
    weez9331 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Steven.... I noticed that as well. Only the first day transactions didn't download, since then they have, but still get the error.
  • JimGATX
    JimGATX Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @longrider said:
    > This continues to show the lack of care and attention by Quicken. Service is non existent and customer service went to Microsoft as Quicken has left the building. The new ownership is totally **** with feel good announcements and NO service. Time to find alternatives as this is ridiculous. Board of
    > Directors watch the membership leave the revenues decline.

I disagree. My experience has been the opposite since Quicken went under new management.

It is BoA that broke their own server, not Quicken. The BoA Customer Service rep tried to be helpful but was clueless. Their stock answer is "Quicken is a third-party program. It's a Quicken problem. You need to talk to Quicken." Not helpful. And not true; BoA broke it. They opened a ticket and gave me the number.

When I called Quicken, their rep was super helpful and knowledgeable. He knew exactly what was going on. He gave me an idea to try (which did not work) and told me to wait for BoA to fix it.

I've had great telephone tech support from Quicken for a couple of years now. I've hit them with some challenging issues and they've always come through.
  • Bill2
    Bill2 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    > @Bill said:
    > I have a checking account with online connection via Bank of America- All Other States and Direct Connect. When I try to deactivate, I get a message stating that "... Cancel any pending payments and repeating payments." When I select the yes button on "do you want to continue", I then get this message: "There are online payments to send for this account. You must delete these payments from the register or online center before you can delete the account." When I try and delete the online payments, some of them deleted successfully, but some of them will not delete, accompanied by this message: "This is an online payment that was sent as part of an uncompleted online connection. You must complete the connection before you can change or delete the payment."
    >
    > I have payments that are going to be late due to this. If I make the payments directly from the Bank of America website, when the online connection is restored, is Quicken going to make a second payment, and I will end up making double payments? Or will I be able to immediately cancel the second payments at that point and avoid the double payment? What a mess.
    >
    > I've gone for years without any online problems that were not resolved within a matter of hours. Now that I am on the "subscription" plan, days are going by without issues being addressed. (Removed-Disruptive) 

For those who also forced to pay bills via means other than Quicken due to failed connection: I discovered (after I posted the above) that if you go to the register entry for an attempted online bill pay that has failed, in the far left column you can click and select "Do not send during next update". While this may, or may not, guarantee that the Quicken online bill pay will not happen when you are able to eventually make successful connection, it's worth a try.
  • gksteve
    gksteve Member
    Options
    I am having the same error code and issues with Bank of America. Nothing I've tried works. I have not changed any settings, account names - nothing. The same configuration that has worked for 10+ years, just stopped working after I updated in Jan 2020 to ver: R25.10 build 27.1.25.10
  • vz2z9999
    vz2z9999 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Bill pay still broken I cant pay my bill through Q
  • Barry Nelson
    Barry Nelson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you steve88. I deactivated bill payment, and no more OL-393A error. :)
  • Telaryn Brooke May
    Options
    so I switched to the Bank of America with web connect and quicken but now I can't enter "send" to send bill pay but there is something called NBPay instead, is that how I send my payments?
  • BrandoGA
    BrandoGA Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    All of sudden numerous banks can't communicate with Quicken any more. They get fixed one by one. I called Ally Bank yesterday (their 393 problem started several days ago) -- they said "we're aware we're having trouble with some of our aggregators." Ally is back online today, but only Express Web Connect - they don't do Direct Connect. It can't be a coincidence that Quicken just announced to users that they will no longer be able to do Quicken Bill Pay with Q2017, which means Quicken is changing their QFX file. [Quicken's QFX file is a proprietary OFX file with additional fields to support a licensing fee paid by institutions. In contrast, the standard OFX format is a free and open standard.] Seems that the banks need to adjust to the new QFX format, and sometimes drop the ball as they do. FYI, this problem also occurs with their new Q2020 subscription product.
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What always amazes to me in situiations like this, BofA Broke it with a Server Update installed 2/27....why are Quicken users charges with the R&D for Updates installed by BofA????  Since they know the issue, back out the Update, test it before re-installing...and allow BofA Quicken users to have the Bill Pay feature.  Why is this going on now for 3 days....  When you call BofA they are very quick to advise you that you can pay your Bills at their Website....like maybe issues like this are nor important as it may be their hidden agenda to get more users to Bank at their Website rather than with Financial software like Quicken.  There is no secret BofA incur fees they pay to Quicken for each Quicken customer using their Online Banking....that is the Major reason they terminated new Quicken users signing up for Direct Connect years ago....  If you never had Direct Connect with BofA and started using Quicken now...you would only get DirectWebConnext which would only give you Downloaded Transactions...you would need to Pay bills...if you wanted to use BofA Bill pay...at the BofA Website...and that kind of for me takes way using Quicken with BofA ...if I was required to go to the Bank of America site to pay bills...why not just do Transfers as well at the site.

I have been using Quicken with Online Banking since 2001, I use SunTrust and Chase, both DirectConnect...and as far as I know, those Banks still allow new customers to get Quicken DirectConnect.  I don't recall ever having an outage, issues, etc with SunTrust...and only a few issues with Chase that never lasted more than a few hours.  If these other banks can provide reliable Quicken DirectConnect services...why can't BofA....  In 2019 I believe I experienced 3 or 4 BofA Outages that lasted 1 day or more that was caused by BofA....not Quicken.     
  • samcrowley
    Options
    I have had the same problem for 3 days now. Glad to read some of the answers. Thanks for doing the follow up. While it is not a quicken created problem, they should tell us what the issue is once they know it. I am sure there are many Quicken/B of A users out there who still don't know why it doesn't work. B of A is also the only financial institution that I deal with that won't allow me to connect through a VPN. I have to turn off the VPN every time I update quicken. If ever I wanted my data encrypted it would certainly be the financial stuff!
    Finally, while I am venting- has anyone noticed how much slower Quicken is working? As a 20 plus year user I m astonished with how slow it processes transactions, etc. I am referring to internal processes in the software, not through online connections.
  • Rick Delia
    Rick Delia Member ✭✭
    Options
    I aclled Bank of America and they said the problem is in Quickens backyard. Tried to call Quicken today (Sat) and They are closed!! Is any one working on the problem over the weekend??
  • Carl Popolo
    Options
    Is there a status update for the announcement posted below regarding OL-301 and other errors at Bank of America? We're coming into a new month and we could use advice on whether or not we should be sending out paper checks to get bills paid on time.
  • jeb55
    jeb55 Member
    Options
    I can confirm Quicken Bill Pay payments to Bof A that were not sent because of OL-393A error and you were unable to delete them, changing the status to "HOLD" during next update will prevent duplicate payments being sent if you also sent them directly from the Bof A website. You are able to delete the original payments from Quicken Bill Pay after a subsequent update.
  • Thomas F
    Thomas F Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have had this problem for the last 2 days now. Feb 27-28. I have never had a Bank of America problem ever with Quicken in some 20 years of use. It is already a big problem,,,
  • Bill2
    Bill2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    jeb55- thank you for the info. I did use the BoA website directly as a work around, so good to know the "do not send during next update" setting in quicken does work

Telaryn-Note that neither Web Connect nor Express Web Connect allow you to initiate bill payment inside quicken. The only connection option that allows bill payment to be initiated inside quicken is Direct Connect.
  • Albert Paris
    Albert Paris Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem with BofA for 3 days in a row, i.e., the 'Direct Connect' feature between Quicken ad BofA no longer works. However, I can download transactions from BofA to Quicken when changing to the 'Express Web Connect' configuration in Quicken, but then it disables the 'Bill Pay' feature between Quicken and BofA, so Quicken becomes useless and I have to pay bills directly on the BofA website. I have been using Quicken for many years and it never happened. It is a waste of time and frustrating since we pay for the Quicken program annually to work as it should.
  • bobdb
    bobdb Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'll add my name to the list of users recently hit with BofA OL-393-A error. This error started a day ago (shortly after another Quicken software update). Interesting thing is that I got updates from my BoA-All Other States direct connect accounts in spite of the error. Tried to reset my various BofA checking, savings and credit card accounts to get rid of the error. All but one reset worked, but that one refused to reset. Then I deactivated the one balky account as well as the bill pay feature associated with it and, while I was able to reactivate this account, the bill pay feature box on the account list page remains empty regardless of whether bill pay is enabled or disabled. BTW, while this account was deactivated, I ran an update and still got the OL-393-A error for BofA.

And one last thing...this is the second time this same type of interruption has occurred in Quicken over the last several months. The last time was with my investment company (Raymond James). When I contacted Quicken support, the tech asked me how large my Quicken data file was. I told him that it was about 90MB. He then told me that this was my problem...the file was too large and the limit is 50MB!! His suggestion was an $800 upgrade to Quickbooks!!! After thanking the rep for his "help" I disconnected the call and was a hairbreadth away from dumping my Quicken subscription ...I think the only reason I didn't end my long-term relationship with this software was that a fix for the issue followed the next day...but here we are again only several months later.

When it works as designed, Quicken is a nice one-stop shopping for banking and investment transactions, but lately it seems to be experiencing errors/disruptions way too frequently. I'm happy to pay for a subscription but in return I expect it to work without such frequent disruptions.

In spite of my current frustration with Quicken, I'm glad you're in the process of addressing this particular issue but my expectation is that you get your act together longer-term so that this type of problem becomes a lot less frequent.
  • RedCab
    RedCab Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem here... I'll try some of the things mentioned...
  • danpierce
    danpierce Member ✭✭
    Options
    Error says it may be temporary. It is not. Unable to connect for more than 4 days. How can I resolve?
  • BostonBob
    BostonBob Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same issue here.
  • rfo327
    rfo327 Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    The Quicken error is due to a problem uploading and downloading bill payment or transfer instructions and transactions. Downloading completed account transactions does not appear to be effected. You get the error message whether you have bill payment or transfer instructions to synchronize. This is now the third day this issue has not yet been resolved.
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    (Removed-Violation of Community Guidelines)
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    (Removed-Violation of Community Guidelines)
  • captainpdf
    Options
    Please let me know. This is very disappointing, as with as long as you've been in the business, with money there can't be disruption.
  • Melfine3
    Melfine3 Member
    Options
    Agree been down over two days now
This discussion has been closed.