Bank of America Issues...OL-393-A 2/28/20

Answers

• stmalia
    stmalia Member ✭✭
    I’m no longer getting the 393 error- now I’m getting 220. Updates the software & no improvement.
  • ajulier1
    ajulier1 Member
    "stmalia" - See my post above yours.
  • ajulier1
    ajulier1 Member
    At 10.15am EST I was able to connect to Bank of America in the normal manner!! Yeah!!!
  • bobdb
    bobdb Member ✭✭
    Just received alert from Sarah (the moderator) indicating that the BofA OL-393-A issue is resolved. I opened Quicken, installed the available Quicken update and then did a one-step update. Bank of America is STILL throwing off the OL-393-A error. This issue is not resolved.
  • Plowboy50
    Plowboy50 Member ✭✭
    They say it was resolved but I am still getting the same OL 220 Error when I try to update with Bank of America.
  • jkasabula
    jkasabula Member
    Still getting OL 393 A error. Had problem for 6 days. Getting read to dump this software and lots of my friends also!
  • steve88@
    steve88@ Member ✭✭✭
    As per my posts on this thread on 2/28 and 3/1, I had a formal support ticket open on this matter (OL-393-A error) with BofA. They phoned me back about 10 minutes ago to confirm with me that the problem was now fixed. Root cause was apparently a change made on one of Quicken's servers, which in turn broke something on one of BofA's servers, so both Quicken and BofA had to effect some repairs. It was with the Bill Pay feature. In this sense it was a "joint" problem, but I guess in terms of chicken and egg, the sequence of events started with a change that Quicken made to one of its servers and it then affected one of BofA's servers.

In fairness, I did find BofA to be very helpful and responsive. The same individual (a tech named John) phoned me back all 3 times, so there was continuity rather than being bounced around to different techs, each with some different story. I also liked that John called me back first thing this morning (8:30 pacific) so was very prompt in getting back to me on the first business day after the issue had been resolved.

As with others, I have generally seen that errors in Quicken are rarely self-inflicted and are usually due to a server problem outside my control or a corrupted file on my computer. If I wait 3-5 days, they usually clear themselves when either the bank, or Quicken, are notified and effect the repair. The main concern is generally that somebody tells the right party that it is broken, and that people go into troubleshooting mode rather than finger pointing mode. Between the post made by Quicken Sarah on 2/27, the update she posted on 3/2, and the responsiveness by BofA technicians, I would give both companies an A-. The only thing that could have been done better was for Quicken to notify their phone support personnel of the issue a little faster.

Not sure what to tell those that are still receiving an error. For me, turning off Bill Pay, and then turning it back on resolved the problem once the server issues had been fixed on 3/1.
  • cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    After 7 days, finally I was able to connect to BoA. I had a bunch of online payments in limbo. I had to deactivate Bill Payment and reactivate it to be successful.

[removed - rant/off-topic]

You all have a great week.
  • FriarBob66
    FriarBob66 Member ✭✭
    I followed a previous suggestion and restored a saved file from a period before encountering this problem and I can now totally communicate with B of A with no error message.
  • wmccone54
    wmccone54 Member
    This issue HAS NOT been resolved yet after speaking with Quicken support on March 2nd. They are aware of the issue, are working a fix, but refuse to provide a date/time for an estimated fix.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may depend on your geography, i.e., which Intuit and/or BofA servers you're connecting to.
    B of A Direct Connect worked perfectly for me this morning, 3/2/20, including a bill payment, and I have not had to change anything on my end. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BostonBob
    BostonBob Member ✭✭
    I suspect that "Rocket J Squirrel" above may be correct. I am connecting via "Bank of America-All Other States" as my financial institution and "Direct Connect" as my connection method. No luck connecting moments ago (2:30 pm EST, 03/02). It might help this conversation if people would give their financial institution and connection method in future posts.
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Unable to get past error recovery with Bank of America after bill pay resolution, now getting ol-220-a. I do have pending payments...

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    Boston Bob, deactivate bill pay and reactivate it. It worked for me. I use direct connect and connect to BoA-all other states.
  • cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    Greg, delete the pending payments, deactivate and reactivate bill pay. It worked for me.
  • BostonBob
    BostonBob Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestion Cyrusmd. I was in error recovery mode so any attempt to change/delete my in process bill pay transactions was met with a message telling me to connect online before making changes. UGH. My solution was to restore a backup from before the issue started (I had one from 2/24). I did that and connected online before doing anything else. That worked. Thankfully I didn't have too many transactions from other accounts to re-post. I then re-entered the BofA payments I needed to be made and that worked. I verified that the payments were scheduled on BofA's Bill Pay website. I think I'm back to normal.
  • Greg Brown
    Thanks @cyrusmd ,
    I'll give that a shot.

• Dave Hutchison
    Dave Hutchison Member ✭✭
    Assume this is bill pay server issue. Has been erroring all day and need to send some payments in the queue. Or it looks like the connection with bank - but bank updated fine other than sending bill pay (Midfirst)
  • Greg Brown
    Thanks again @cyrusmd back in business...

• Same here down, since February and still down today 3/2/20, left payments programmed under "Send Status" and it has not sent the payments. WIll have to go manually into the Online Banking of Bank Of America to do it or I will be delinquent on my payments. PLEASE A SOLUTION SOON!!!!!!!!!! I have been using Quicken for YEARS of YEARS. If not will consider leaving it and move everything to the BOA online banking, but it is the categorization that I will be missing.
  • cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    mailboxmaldonado: delete the pending payments, deactivate and reactivate bill pay. It worked for me.
  • bobnlou
    bobnlou Member ✭✭
    cryusmd: how did you delete pending payments? Quicken won't let me delete a pending payment.
  • Gary Ley
    Gary Ley Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. I can't deactivate bill pay because of a pending payment . When I try to delete the pending payment, Quicken says has been sent, but not completed and go online to finish. So I'm caught in a loop.
  • cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    BobnLou / Gary Levy: on the weekend I had the same "caught in the loop" issue, but I was able to "Ctrl+D" to delete the transaction that had "send" as the status. That was yesterday. I am running v25.10. Wonder why it is not working on your device?
  • cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    Quicken posted today v25.18 so please update
  • Greg Brown
    FYI, I just deleted the word "send" from the check # column, for each of the transactions, deactivated/reactivated bill pay and updated... The added "send " back to the check # column and updated again. Worked for me... Made it easier for me to keep track of transactions that needed to be resent.

• Gary Ley
    Gary Ley Member ✭✭
    I tried all the suggestions, but Quicken was too stubborn to make the change. I ended up restoring a file from a week ago and was able to download transactions and send bills. Just took me a bit to enter some manual transactions on other accounts. But the BofA problem seems to be corrected.
  • gghgghggh
    gghgghggh Member
    I found another solution that worked for me that I don't think has been mentioned yet. I am using Quicken 2020 R25.10 for what it's worth, but this technique exists in prior versions.

I was also caught in the loop where there were bill payments that did not make it when the issue first happened. Those were stuck in limbo. After that, no attempts to reconnect worked. Also, none of the other suggestions worked except (probably) using a back-up copy of data from before the issue started which I had not tried yet. E.g., I could not deactivate/reactivate either bill pay or the account since it kept saying that the incomplete connection needed to be completed first which was impossible, and there was no way to delete the offending stuck payment transactions.

I ended up trying the following which worked. It uses a inobvious Quicken back door that they have mentioned in times past.

1. Go to Tools and select Online Center.
    2. Make sure the account of interest is selected from the Financial Institution drop-down list.
    3. Here's the inobvious part. Hold down the control key (Ctrl) and click on Contact Info from the top line of the screen. That pops up a new window that we can't normally get to.
    4. Select the account of interest from the Account drop-down list in the new window.
    5. Select both the Online Payments and Online Transfers options. (I don't know which one mattered for my case or if both were needed.)
    6. I do not know if it mattered, but I had also previously used the Reset DTSTART button in this window to set the restart date back to 2/21/2020 which was before the issue started (for me). This may not have made any difference.
    7. Click on the Refresh button in the new window. The new window will disappear.
    8. From the Online Center window, make sure the account of interest is still selected in the Financial Institution drop-down list. Then click on the Update/Send button in the upper right corner of the window.

At that point, it (finally) started doing an update. As usual, before starting it showed what it planned to do including sending the pending payments that had been caught in limbo, so I was able to uncheck those payment actions before sending the update request since I had already paid them via the BofA web site.

At any rate, all seems well for me now.
  • cyrusmd
    cyrusmd Member ✭✭
    gghgghggh; Thank you for the alternate way to deactivate and reactivate Bill Pay with any account. This is good information to have because Quicken will tank again one day.
  • bobnlou
    bobnlou Member ✭✭
    I posted 2 days ago that I had the same problem and all I did was to restore a file from an earlier date and that solved the problem. Don't understand why that post disappeared!
This discussion has been closed.