Why do I have to enter my password when I open my Quicken? (edited)

Options

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You are not alone.  What has worked for me and others to get rid of this issue was to sign out of Quicken and then sign back in:  Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Account > Sign in as different user > when prompted to log in, again, use your current Quicken ID and PW.  Signing out fully breaks the link with the Cloud Account and then signing back in fully refreshes that link...something that simply signing in when first opening Quicken does not do.
    FYI, some who have Mobile & Web Sync turned on have said they first needed to turn that off in order for the refresh to be successful.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    i was on the phone with support and proved to them that there is a bug with the patch. If you remove the password on the data file you won't be prompted for quicken id/password. It was clearly a bug with the patch. Hopefully they will fix it soon
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After entering the datafile password when starting Quicken, version R28.23 is popping up the web login window every time. This started with R28.23.

Please fix this annoying bug.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    If you have set a Quicken file password, you always need to enter the password when you open the file.

To access Online Services, we are required to provide the Quicken ID password to obtain a authentication certificate if the current certificate is not longer valid.  There are many reasons a certificate may become invalid.  For example, the certificate may have expired, we may have changed the Quicken ID, Quicken ID password, or IP address, or we may have signed out the device. 
    This is not addressing the same issue.  What was working prior to version R28.23 is now broken.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you are having trouble signing in.

If you haven't done so already, please attempt to sign out and sign back in.

To sign out:
    1. Go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts and click the "Sign in as a different user" link on the right side of the window.  
    2. In the dialogue window that opens, type "yes" in the box to confirm you want to sign out.
    3. Sign back into Quicken when presented with the sign-in window.
    Please note, that you may need to close the sign-in windows several times before you may access the edit menu.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    This procedure did not fix it.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Since updating quicken to R28.23 on 8/27, i'm being prompted to enter quicken password when i start quicken. Why?
    Thanks for verifying that this is a bug by contacting support that I saw in another post.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @thecreator Do you have a datafile password?
    Scott verified with support that it is a bug.

• Jim59@
    Jim59@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Opened Quicken this morning and got prompted to sign in with QuickenID and password, as expected after the scheduled maintainence. The problem is, after entering info and clicking button, it just spins and spins and spins the circle icon. It never completes signing in. Have tried twice and had to "end-task" Quicken both times after waiting over 10 minutes each time.
  • JedWare
    JedWare Member ✭✭
    Options
    Having same issue with R28.23. Funny thing is you can close the dialog rather than entering credentials. There doesn't appear to be an option to save the password in the Vault either.

I hope they get a fix out quickly.
  • rayseidlinger
    rayseidlinger Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken for windows 28.23. Just updated and now when testing, asked for quicken login password each time. I know this happens on updates, but should not do so each time I open my quicken file. Also, I have set my automatic backups to each time I exit, and I used to get a message that the backup is happening. I no longer do. It is getting to a point where I do not want to update as it seems every update creates another issue. Quicken needs to do better diagnostics and testing their updates prior to release. I have been dealing with one issue or another as noted in the commentary here for months.
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree. R28.23 is requiring the Quicken ID Password every time Quicken Deluxe is initiated. So now I see three password windows: 1. Data File Password 2. Welcome to Quicken 3. Quicken ID Password. The Welcome to Quicken doesn't require a response but is annoying and just poor programming. The Quicken ID password used to be a one time occurrence for validation purposes. I've been asking for 6 months to have the Welcome to Quicken screen corrected which is an unattended outcome of using a Data File password, i.e., the Welcome to Quicken screen doesn't appear if one doesn't use a data file password.
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    Options
    Noticed that exiting the Quicken ID Password screen (clicking on X twice) causes the screen to disappear without needing its password response. Just another no response needed response screen (similar to the Welcome to Quicken screen). Agree with previous comment that update releases are causing far more problems than those the release is attempting to address (which for odd reasons are never a problem I am having with Quicken). Quicken needs to initiate some form of regression testing on their releases.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @thecreator Do you have a datafile password?
    Scott verified with support that it is a bug.

To test, I have added a simple Data File Password of tester to the file. I am not seeing what you are seeing.

I even created a folder on my Network-attached, mapped drive, called Quicken 2020 Data and I restored my Data File into that folder.

Normal Gray Background and no secondary Quicken ID and Password requested.

Data Path = Z:\Quicken 2020 Data

I choose to keep displaying the warning picture. I have taken my time to test.

Can someone take the time to test my procedure and don't rely on others, to test and say it doesn't work. I know it does work, as long as you Restore from a Manual Backup file, as oppose to simply opening an existing file.

Are you willing to test? But delete the original Quicken Installer, from your download folder, before beginning, so you don't re-use the bad installer. Are you game to try and report back? Don't use Quicken's instructions for using QCleanUi, use mind.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @leishirsute said:
    > (Quote)
    > This procedure did not fix it.

Imagine that. :smile:
  • chedgeco
    chedgeco Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you have set a Quicken file password, you always need to enter the password when you open the file.
    >
    > To access Online Services, we are required to provide the Quicken ID password to obtain a authentication certificate if the current certificate is not longer valid.  There are many reasons a certificate may become invalid.  For example, the certificate may have expired, we may have changed the Quicken ID, Quicken ID password, or IP address, or we may have signed out the device. 

This is not what the issue is, it is not user error. Before the latest update I was able to Login successfully. After the update, "Every Time I Start Quicken", I am forced to Login twice. It sounds like Scott Baines above has provided the support team with the information they need to address this "Defect".
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Noticed that exiting the Quicken ID Password screen (clicking on X twice) causes the screen to disappear without needing its password response. Just another no response needed response screen (similar to the Welcome to Quicken screen). Agree with previous comment that update releases are causing far more problems than those the release is attempting to address (which for odd reasons are never a problem I am having with Quicken). Quicken needs to initiate some form of regression testing on their releases.
    Refused the update on my laptop.  It remains on the version prior to R28.23 and does not have the login bug.
    By the way, if you X out of the web login at startup, it will go away.  If you do an OSU, it will reappear and cannot be X'd out of.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @thecreator Are you using the cloud?  I am not using cloud.  I wonder if that is a difference.  I'm reading your procedure. 

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @thecreator Are you using the cloud?  I am not using cloud.  I wonder if that is a difference.  I'm reading your procedure. 

No, I am not using the cloud. No, I just located the Quicken Data Folder on my attached Mapped Drive, to see if I can get what others are complaining about and no dice.

I just get the Normal Gray Screen background and no Quicken ID and Password, every time I close and simply re-open Quicken.

I normally use Quicken without a Data File Password. But when I added a Data File Password, everything worked fine.

Can you post your path to your Quicken Data Folder?

All of mine Windows User ID's are Password Protected and are the Administrator of the computer and signed in using my Microsoft Account, User ID and Pin number.

When I first installed Windows, I had to create a New Windows USER ID Account, because I found out, the first created User ID folder Account was using an Apostrophe in the Folder Name. I did not want it. So I created a New Windows User Account and use it locally, at first, then signed in with my Microsoft Account.

Works fine.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "
    Can you post your path to your Quicken Data Folder?
    "
    @thecreator
    My datafile is in folder "Disk 0 Win 10 Pro C:\Users\mdp\Documents\Quicken"

For a test, I logged into a different ID on my PC that never used Quicken.
    I started Quicken, typed in my login credentials for the first time and got no login pop-up window. 
    Then I linked my Fidelity account as the only account in the test datafile.
    I exited Quicken and restarted it and got no login pop-up window.
    I added a password to the datafile, did a OSU of the Fidelity account and exited.
    Restarted Quicken, entered the datafile password and got the login popup window.
    I also have a laptop and refused the update to R28.23.  It uses the prior version of Quicken and does not issue a login pop-up window.

Strange (and good) that your Quicken does not require the additional login.

• Paul Hilt
    Paul Hilt Member
    Options
    Same issue. Need a fix ASAP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    If you have set a Quicken file password, you always need to enter the password when you open the file.

To access Online Services, we are required to provide the Quicken ID password to obtain a authentication certificate if the current certificate is not longer valid.  There are many reasons a certificate may become invalid.  For example, the certificate may have expired, we may have changed the Quicken ID, Quicken ID password, or IP address, or we may have signed out the device. 
    This is not addressing the same issue.  What was working prior to version R28.23 is now broken.
    R28.23 was not available on July 10th.  If you think your issue was introduced in R28.23, revert from the staged release back to the latest release R28.18. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chedgeco said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you have set a Quicken file password, you always need to enter the password when you open the file.
    >
    > To access Online Services, we are required to provide the Quicken ID password to obtain a authentication certificate if the current certificate is not longer valid.  There are many reasons a certificate may become invalid.  For example, the certificate may have expired, we may have changed the Quicken ID, Quicken ID password, or IP address, or we may have signed out the device. 

This is not what the issue is, it is not user error. Before the latest update I was able to Login successfully. After the update, "Every Time I Start Quicken", I am forced to Login twice. It sounds like Scott Baines above has provided the support team with the information they need to address this "Defect".
    You claimed: When I start Quicken I am now being forced to login to "Enter Data File Password" and login to "Quicken Online". The passwords and Id's are the same for both. 

We are not forced to login
     "Enter Data File Password" and login to "Quicken Online".  We only need to enter a Quicken file password, if we set a data Quicken data file password.

The Quicken file password does not have a passwords and Id, so it is not possible they are the same for both.

R28.23 was not available on July 10th.  If you think your issue was introduced in R28.23, I suggest you revert from the staged release back to the latest release R28.18. 
  • MakingMacBetter
    Options
    Hi All , YES Rel. 28.23 took Quicken for Windows two steps backwards. This is clearly an ongoing issue with those (like me I believe..) that have a PWD on their data file. I just got off a 1 hr 38 min call w/Quicken Support ( 650.250.1900) and great Tech (Chris) tired & tried to resolve. No success!
    Quicken Community and the hope of having a "Moderator" get engaged is not the answer. YOU MUST contact Quicken Support (even if you have to endure phone queue) Issue/bugs, etc will be more efficiently & effectively after Call Center/Support folks enter Case/Tkt data! Frankly spinning your wheels on Community in this case, is just that ... Highly recommend you/we get Critical Mass by calling in. Hopefully faster effective path to SW Engineering and FIX!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just curious - if it's like the old previous bug....
    What happens if you don't enter or do anything,
    and just let it sit idle for 30 secs - does it go away on its own ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you do not want to wait until Quicken addresses the issue, I suggest you revert from the staged release to the latest release by performing a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, apply the R28.18 Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating to the R28.23 release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken.  To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate R28.18 Mondo Patch from: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • ghstudio
    ghstudio Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I too now have to sign in every time I open my Quicken file. I have signed out completely and reentered my login/pw but that did not solve the problem. I see nothing from Quicken about something that probably is effecting every user who installs the latest version. I hope this is resolved soon....
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    Options
    Agree with leishirsute comments that clicking X will get you past the Quicken ID Password screen but when attempting an account online update, the Quicken ID screen will ask for the password which is required if one wants to access his/her online accounts. I have not tried removing my Data File Password option to see if that removes the continuous request to enter one's Quicken ID Password. To me NOT having a data file password is a horrible breach of IT security norms so seeing if removing the data file requirement is a non-starter. Having a data file password does result in the Welcome to Quicken screen during the program's start. I've been asking for that to be corrected for over six months now with obviously no resolution.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Tried that but doesn't work for me, still prompting me for quicken ID and password on every startup.

This started with the 8/27 software patch it seems.

I wasn't prompted for quicken ID when first running it on 8/27, so don't think it was related to the online maintenance they did, but then it said an update was available, and ever since installing that update, it prompts for quicken ID and password on every launch.
  • JedWare
    JedWare Member ✭✭
    Options
    I chatted with Quicken Help and they say they are aware of the issue and working on a fix.
  • Ron Hersch
    Ron Hersch Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    As of today, I keep getting a pop up requesting I login to Quicken every time I try to open my quicken program with my data file password. . I have been informed by Quicken support that this is a know issue. It should be identified as a known issue in the quicken community. [Removed-Rant]
This discussion has been closed.