Why doesn't the total Gain/Loss YTD agree with the amounts shown on the Portfolio graph?

When viewing a portfolio, the total Gain/Loss YTD on a given date should be the difference between the portfolio value on that date and the portfolio value at the beginning of the year, but it is not. The total Gain/Loss YTD appears to be the sum of the gains and losses for the individual investments in the portfolio on that date. The latter method ignores investments that were held at the beginning of the year but have been sold as of the date entered.

Comments

• Hello @benashton,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

The Community may need a bit more information to be able to further assist. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• benashton
    benashton Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe 2020
    USA
    Version 5.17.4 (Build 517.34919.100)
    macOS 10.13.6
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @benashton

Thank you for the response and for providing the year and version.

May I ask that you please include a screenshot of the discrepancy?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

This will hopefully help to isolate the issue to get a better idea of the cause of the discrepancy. 

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • benashton
    benashton Member ✭✭
    I have convinced myself that I was trying to compare apples to oranges. In the attached screenshot, you will see the total Gain/Loss YTD with a blue box around it. I expected that figure to be the same as the difference between the portfolio's current value and its value on Jan 1st, as shown on the graph. But the values on the graph include the cash held in the account, while the total Gain/Loss YTD only reflects the value of the securities held in the account. I still think the "Totals" row at the bottom of the Portfolio Value section is somewhat misleading because the market value is for the entire portfolio while the other values are only for the securities.
  • Hello @benashton,

Thank you for providing the requested screenshot, as well as additional information regarding this issue.

It sounds like you've got this figured out, however, it also sounds like you may have an idea of how you'd like Quicken to display this information instead.

If that's the case, I'd suggest creating an Idea post outlining the specific enhancement request you'd like to see for Quicken. Our developer's review Idea posts to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

However, if that's not the case, you may consider contacting Support directly for more advanced assistance, and a screen sharing session, to help get to the root of the problem.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.