Does this preference in Quicken for Mac exist in both Canadian and US versions of QMac

This one

it defines TFSA and RRSP when Canada is choosen

Best Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you, so all versions of Quicken for Mac have the preference option for Canada and United States as shown above...Right ?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Ok, I'll settle this (breaking my own rule right now of getting involved).... Unlike the QWin versions where you have to decide BEFOREHAND if you want the US or CA version AND you are locked in to the local settings and features and the only way to change is to actually get the other version of QWin, this is NOT so for the QMac version.

When you purchase the QMac version, the DEFAULT settings match the site from which you purchased it, i.e. US vs CA, BUT the setting is NOT LOCKED and can be switched at will, and as shown, you can even turn it on for BOTH countries SIMULTANEOUSLY.

And yes, some tax info is missing for CA users but AFAICT the investment section is the same, except for online related services that are US specific, e.g. Real Estate values, credit card score, etc.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't quite get your question. There aren't separate versions of Quicken for Mac for Canada/US. It is the same program with the preference you choose (in your screenshot) for where you live.

Quicken for Windows has separate programs, but not Mac.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    From this Quicken webpage (attached)
    there seem to be a difference,
    I have a Premier version (long time user), which is from the US as it does not exist in Canada ( Deluxe being the highest product )
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken for Mac is the same program. There aren't separate versions. Your subscription level (Premier, Deluxe, etc.) determines what features get unlocked. You set the preference for which country you reside in.

I do know that there are some areas such as taxes/investments that are lacking for Canadian users. It likely is for this reason CA users are capped at purchasing the Deluxe subscription. 

(If a user has a Quicken for Windows Home & Business subscription, it will display this for the Mac version even though the program clearly doesn't have that functionality.) 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you, so all versions of Quicken for Mac have the preference option for Canada and United States as shown above...Right ?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only one current version of Quicken for Mac ... so your "all versions ..." comment isn't needed.
    And, I agree that the bit that you highlighted in your attachment could be better worded to clarify that "different versions" pertains to the QWin products ... NOT the QMac product (of which there is only ONE).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm confused because that isn't what I heard.  I heard that there is a Quicken Mac for Canada.  And these two links tend to bear that out.

Canada:
    https://www.quicken.com/canada/compare/mac

US:
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

From what I read the Mac Canadian version is the "internally" the Mac US version, but they have "preset" some Canadian settings in it so that it is a bit more Canadian friendly, but it is far from being a full Canadian version.

And in fact what I would bet is that which Subscription you have Canadian or US is what "flips the switch".

I wish someone that really knows like a Quicken employee would confirm this one way or another so that the proper information can be given out.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW note something.  Just like in the US version, buying a Canadian subscription only gets you access to that country version.

On the Mac it might be there is only one program for all, but it definitely not true for the US version.  The US and Canadian versions have the same code base, but the Canadian version is a branch off of the US version and definitely has some different features than the US version, and you can't switch between them with a flip of a switch.  And one of the major feature differences for the Windows version is what financial institutions are supported.  Unlike the Mac version the Windows versions only support the country that the subscription is for.

Note that the differences in the Quicken Mac product pages can be explained pretty easily because in fact the Quicken Mac "Premier" version is far from "Premier" and really doesn't apply to Canadian.  As in the only feature differences over Deluxe is the "free" Quicken Bill Manager transactions a month, which the Canadian users can't use because it is US based only.  That other feature is just "premier support" as in going to the front of the line when waiting on a support person to connect to you.
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "On the Mac it might be there is only one program for all, but it definitely not true for the US version.:"
    Did you mean the QWin version?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    "On the Mac it might be there is only one program for all, but it definitely not true for the US version.:"
    Did you mean the QWin version?
    Yes,  I should have clarified that.
    Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Ok, I'll settle this (breaking my own rule right now of getting involved).... Unlike the QWin versions where you have to decide BEFOREHAND if you want the US or CA version AND you are locked in to the local settings and features and the only way to change is to actually get the other version of QWin, this is NOT so for the QMac version.

When you purchase the QMac version, the DEFAULT settings match the site from which you purchased it, i.e. US vs CA, BUT the setting is NOT LOCKED and can be switched at will, and as shown, you can even turn it on for BOTH countries SIMULTANEOUSLY.

And yes, some tax info is missing for CA users but AFAICT the investment section is the same, except for online related services that are US specific, e.g. Real Estate values, credit card score, etc.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smayer97 Thanks for jumping in and confirming this.
    Signature:
  • Thank you smayer97
    this is what I wanted to know
This discussion has been closed.