Importing QXF (Mac --> Win) omits investments and many transactions

ukari
ukari Member ✭✭
I am using Quicken subscription which allows both Mac as well as Windows. This is the good part. But this is pointless because I am not able to export the QXF as recommended from Mac file and then import into the Windows version without losing all investment accounts and numerous transactions in the non-investment accounts. This conversion completely scrambles all data. Even the movement from Microsoft Money was less traumatic than this. What is the problem with right hand and left hand not talking at Quicken?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The .QXF export was created to move data to Quicken Essentials for Mac (QEM).
    QEM only kept summary level information of investments, so including investment transactional data was not needed.  The process has never been improved.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Only partially true... Since QM2015 when investments were introduced, QXF export has been updated to contain investment data.... it is QWin that has not been updated to handle the import of investment data contained in the QXF data file from QMac, so at the moment, only another QMac data file can import the investment data in a QXF file.

P.S. oddly, QXF export from QWin DOES contain investment data too.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• ukari
    ukari Member ✭✭
    So I have to pay Apple the big bucks until Quicken makes their products seamless across all platforms - Mac, Windows, Web?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ukari said:
    So I have to pay Apple the big bucks until Quicken makes their products seamless across all platforms - Mac, Windows, Web?
    Yeah that is about the size of it.  There was a lot more demand to go from Windows to Mac, and the Mac development team was much more keen to make sure that worked.  In was in fact the Mac group that extended Quicken Windows' QXF export to send the investment transactions as "branch/hack" off of the main Quicken Windows development. It was later rolled into Quicken Windows. But in the other direction which would be the Windows group doing this has been far lower in priority.  It is only in the last few years that they even got the non investment data to pretty import correctly.  There was lots years in between that wasn't even true.

About the only other thing you could do is lose your investment history and start those account from scratch/whatever downloads or can be imported by QFX files.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. QIF is the only file format that can be used to move from QM2007 to QWin.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.