Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Importing QXF (Mac --> Win) omits investments and many transactions

ukariukari Member
I am using Quicken subscription which allows both Mac as well as Windows. This is the good part. But this is pointless because I am not able to export the QXF as recommended from Mac file and then import into the Windows version without losing all investment accounts and numerous transactions in the non-investment accounts. This conversion completely scrambles all data. Even the movement from Microsoft Money was less traumatic than this. What is the problem with right hand and left hand not talking at Quicken?

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    The .QXF export was created to move data to Quicken Essentials for Mac (QEM).
    QEM only kept summary level information of investments, so including investment transactional data was not needed.  The process has never been improved.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Only partially true... Since QM2015 when investments were introduced, QXF export has been updated to contain investment data.... it is QWin that has not been updated to handle the import of investment data contained in the QXF data file from QMac, so at the moment, only another QMac data file can import the investment data in a QXF file.

P.S. oddly, QXF export from QWin DOES contain investment data too.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• ukariukari Member
    So I have to pay Apple the big bucks until Quicken makes their products seamless across all platforms - Mac, Windows, Web?
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ukari said:
    So I have to pay Apple the big bucks until Quicken makes their products seamless across all platforms - Mac, Windows, Web?
    Yeah that is about the size of it.  There was a lot more demand to go from Windows to Mac, and the Mac development team was much more keen to make sure that worked.  In was in fact the Mac group that extended Quicken Windows' QXF export to send the investment transactions as "branch/hack" off of the main Quicken Windows development. It was later rolled into Quicken Windows. But in the other direction which would be the Windows group doing this has been far lower in priority.  It is only in the last few years that they even got the non investment data to pretty import correctly.  There was lots years in between that wasn't even true.

About the only other thing you could do is lose your investment history and start those account from scratch/whatever downloads or can be imported by QFX files.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • QuickStudyQuickStudy Member ✭✭
    I was able to convert from QFM2007 to QFW subscription - but had to use the QIF file export on the Mac side in QFM 2007. Here's my successful saga:

I was able successfully upgrade my Quicken for Mac 2007 (QFM2007) data file to Quicken for Windows (QFW) subscription (Quicken 2018 deluxe E30.10 build 27.1.30.10) running in Windows 7 SP2. I did this using many tips from other posts and boards. Overall conversion process and errors found in QFW are shown below. This conversion process will take 12-19 hours for a Quicken account with 3 bank accounts and 27 investment accounts (YMMV). - QuickStudy

Conversion process:
    1. QFM2007 side
    a. Update the QFM2007 file with all of your securities (shares up-to-date)
    b. Update the security (share) price by syncing with the Quicken server in QFM2007
    c. Backup this file
    d. Export the updated QFM2007 file using the QIF file format export feature (for safety sake I used a filename format of 8 characters with .qif file extension; example: johndoeQ.qif)
    i. My Account and QIF file contained 3 bank accounts and 27 investment accounts
    2. QFW side
    a. Transfer a copy of the QIF file to Windows to a folder of your choice
    b. Download the QIF file fixer program CLEANQIF from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com (at http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/cleanqif.html)
    c. Fix the Mac QIF file for known date formatting issues
    i. Drop the QIF file onto the CLEANQIF.exe application to create a new date-fixed QIF file with the correct Windows date formatting within that QIF file
    ii. Save the new QIF file
    iii. (If you do not fix the QIF file dates – all QFW side converted transactions will be in year 19xx dating (example: a transaction occurring in QFM2007 on 3/26/2009 will be shown in QFW as 3/26/1909 and therefore the IRR/NPV and all other time-based investment performance calculations are wrong in QFW with the incorrect dating. Y2K)
    d. Create a backup copy of this fixed QIF file
    e. Launch QFW and create a New Account
    f. Import the date-corrected QIF file
    i. Select Yes for each sub account in the QIF file to import all accounts (bank and investment accounts)
    g. Review and compare each account in QFW with the original QFM2007 account
    h. Adjust cash balances to your original QFM2007 account using the appropriate transaction
    i. (I used Misc. transaction in QFW to make a deposit or payment to a fictitious payee in order to get the QFW cash balance to = QFM2007 cash balance in each sub-account)
    i. Save a copy of this new QFW file (quicken data file format .QDF file extension) in File Explorer to your backup drive
    j. Have QFW make a backup of this Quicken data file (QDF file)
    k. Review all (sub) accounts for share amount, account designation (retirement/IRA, taxable/non-taxable, and the like).
    Issues found on the QFW-side after the conversion process:
    1. Cash balances in each investment (sub) account were VERY different than each QFM2007 (sub) account
    a. In most examples there was a $0.00 cash balance in the QFM2007 account and the QFW account had negative or positive cash balances
    i. (QFW accounts had about ~4-9 % of the account value as a different cash balance in QFW as compared to the QFM2007 account)
    2. Cash balances in the bank accounts was closer but did not match the same QFM2007 bank account balance
    3. Stock tickers were missing on all (each) security in QFW and had to be manually added back.
    a. Click on the security in QFW
    b. Update the ticker symbol
    c. Check the Asset Allocation box so that the allocation amounts sync
    d. Update the security historical prices (syncs historical prices and allocation)
    e. (Oddly the QFM Subscription version 5.18.2 build 518.35919.100 imported QIF file running on a separate Mac (2014-era operating OS X El Capitan 10.11) was pristine match for QFM2007 file cash and share balances and working ticker symbols)
    4. Account gains and investment performances were slightly different in QFW than the QFM2007 (and QFM subscription converted files).
    a. Not sure how to get QFW to equal the performance metrics from QFM2007
    5. Account designations were not correct in QFW (retirement/IRA)
    a. (Oddly the QFM Subscription version 5.18.2 build 518.35919.100 imported QIF file running on a separate Mac (2014-era operating OS X El Capitan 10.11) was pristine match for account designations like Retirement)
    References:
    • https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac
    • https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7869495/qif-file-import-dates-in-wrong-century-1917-vs-2017
    • https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20132379#Comment_20132379
    • Me - https://community.quicken.com/profile/QuickStudy
    /// passionate about saving for life and the future ///
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. QIF is the only file format that can be used to move from QM2007 to QWin.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• QuickStudyQuickStudy Member ✭✭
    The issue was Quicken support told me in 2019 to import my QFM2007 QIF to their test Quicken2013 for Windows app first. That import failed miserably with date issues (that couldn't be corrected manually or using CLEANQIF) and very wrong security share amounts and indiv. cash balance irregularities. I vowed to stay on QFM2007 until I saw another post for the subscription app working when the mac QIF file was polished using CLEANQIF. It worked *SORT OF* and I only had to spend about 11 hours correcting the items in (1) below and updating my account data from 2019 (my fault).

My goal was to get my QDF data into a format that an investment planner could review for an investment savings and retirement planning standpoint.

My eventual goal is to convert the data to Excel or Sheets and manage the data in something that doesn't change versions, hassle of entering data (Quicken is much harder to type information = keystrokes and clicks), charge a subscription, place ads in my app.

(1) what didn't work so well in the QFM2007 to QFW subscription were these items:

1. Cash balances in each investment (sub) account were VERY different than
    each QFM2007 (sub) account
    2. Cash balances in the bank accounts was closer but did not match the same
    QFM2007 bank account balance
    3. Stock tickers were missing on all (each) security in QFW and had to be
    manually added back.
    4. Account gains and investment performances were slightly different in QFW
    than the QFM2007 (and QFM subscription converted files).
    5. Account designations were not correct in QFW (retirement/IRA/taxable/non-taxable)
    /// passionate about saving for life and the future ///