How do you schedule a bi-monthly (every 2 months) transaction?

Options
I "upgraded" from Quicken 2007 for Mac last year. How can I schedule bi-monthly or custom date transactions? The option isn't in the drop down list. I'm currently on Version 5.17.6 (Build 517.34958.100).
Thanks

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Eric I'm sorry, but the answer from @Quicken Anja is incorrect. You absolutely can schedule bi-monthly payments, and transactions on custom recurring dates, in Quicken Mac!

First, let's clarify what you mean by bi-monthly, as the dictionary says it can mean either twice a month or every other month.

The key to flexibility in the schedule screen is the little triangle to the left of the Starting date; click it and it reveals several more fields which make the scheduling more powerful. (The program interface designers outsmarted themselves in trying to keep the screen clean to avoid confusing users, the the little triangle causes more confusion than they solved by hiding the extra fields!)

Let's start with a bi-monthly -- meaning every other month -- transaction. You'd set the schedule screen for a Frequency of Monthly, and then set it to Every 2 months:

As you can see in this example, the transaction is set to occur on the first day of every other month: March 1, May 1, July 1, etc.

Now let's tackle how to do a bi-monthly -- meaning twice a month -- transaction. This option is built into the Frequency dropdown. Select Frequency=Twice a month, and Quicken will provide two date drops-down menus for you to select the two dates each month:

As you can see in this example, the transaction is set to occur on the first and 15th of each month: 3/1, 3/15, 4/1, 4/15, etc.

And you can see from these examples, it's just as easy to schedule a transaction for any custom date -- such as the 17th of a month -- or any custom day -- such as the 3rd Tuesday of a month with the combination of scheduling options on this screen.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hello @Eric,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

As of right now, Quicken for Mac, unfortunately, does not currently offer the ability to schedule bi-monthly scheduled transactions/bill reminders. 

However, if you wish to request this feature be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post and add your vote. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Eric I'm sorry, but the answer from @Quicken Anja is incorrect. You absolutely can schedule bi-monthly payments, and transactions on custom recurring dates, in Quicken Mac!

First, let's clarify what you mean by bi-monthly, as the dictionary says it can mean either twice a month or every other month.

The key to flexibility in the schedule screen is the little triangle to the left of the Starting date; click it and it reveals several more fields which make the scheduling more powerful. (The program interface designers outsmarted themselves in trying to keep the screen clean to avoid confusing users, the the little triangle causes more confusion than they solved by hiding the extra fields!)

Let's start with a bi-monthly -- meaning every other month -- transaction. You'd set the schedule screen for a Frequency of Monthly, and then set it to Every 2 months:

As you can see in this example, the transaction is set to occur on the first day of every other month: March 1, May 1, July 1, etc.

Now let's tackle how to do a bi-monthly -- meaning twice a month -- transaction. This option is built into the Frequency dropdown. Select Frequency=Twice a month, and Quicken will provide two date drops-down menus for you to select the two dates each month:

As you can see in this example, the transaction is set to occur on the first and 15th of each month: 3/1, 3/15, 4/1, 4/15, etc.

And you can see from these examples, it's just as easy to schedule a transaction for any custom date -- such as the 17th of a month -- or any custom day -- such as the 3rd Tuesday of a month with the combination of scheduling options on this screen.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • douggold
    douggold Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'd like some clarity on Jacobs' answer. Is he saying that his solution will create bi-monthly REMINDERS, or will it have Quicken PAY bi-monthly?
This discussion has been closed.