How to move accounts from one file to another?

QuickSteve
QuickSteve Unconfirmed ✭✭
I'm not quite sure this is the right category, but I'm fairly sure I must be missing something obvious, so thanks in advance for any help. Here's the situation:

I've been keeping my mother's accounts in one Quicken file. She passed away not long ago and I need to merge them into my own Quicken file. But I can't seem to find a way to do that. I have options to export as QMTF or QXF, and when I import those the transactions show up elsewhere in my Quicken file rather than in new accounts. 

Here's hoping for a quick fix. Thanks again (in advance)!

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @QuickSteve Thank you for the additional information!

In that case, then what I suggest you try is to export the data from your mother's data file via .QXF and then import it into your own current data file.

Doing this will copy her data into your data file without affecting the existing data that is already in your current data file. However, since you are doing this in an attempt to combine 2 separate data files, I do recommend that you save a backup (File > Save a Backup) of your own current data file prior to importing the data from your mother's data file (just in case).

Please follow the steps below after you have saved a backup.
    1. Open your mother's data file and navigate to the File dropdown menu
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Transfer File (QXF)...
    4. Save the exported file somewhere you can easily locate and recognize it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Navigate back to the File dropdown menu
    6. Open Recent
    7. Select the name of your own data file 
    8. Click Open
    9. Follow the prompts (if any) until your own data file successfully opens
    10. Navigate back to File
    11. Import
    12. Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)... (even if you are on Mac)
    13. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    14. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful
    Once that is done, you should see that all your mother's accounts have now been added to your own data file.

Please note
     that you will need to re-establish online connections for any accounts from your mother's file that were originally set up for automatic downloads. 

There are also a few features that will not be imported as these features do not export nor import. Please, refer to this support article under the section titled "More about QXF files" for more detailed information regarding what .QXF files do and/or do not export/import.

Should anything go wrong, or if you wish to simply revert back to your data prior to importing the data from your mother's file, then restore the backup file you saved prior to performing the import by navigating to File > Restore from Backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Hello @QuickSteve,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

Also, to clarify; are both your mother's and your own personal data file currently running on the same version of Quicken, or different versions?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• QuickSteve
    Thanks for the quick response! It's Quicken for Mack, Version 6.1.1, both data files are running on the same version.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @QuickSteve Thank you for the additional information!

In that case, then what I suggest you try is to export the data from your mother's data file via .QXF and then import it into your own current data file.

Doing this will copy her data into your data file without affecting the existing data that is already in your current data file. However, since you are doing this in an attempt to combine 2 separate data files, I do recommend that you save a backup (File > Save a Backup) of your own current data file prior to importing the data from your mother's data file (just in case).

Please follow the steps below after you have saved a backup.
    1. Open your mother's data file and navigate to the File dropdown menu
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Transfer File (QXF)...
    4. Save the exported file somewhere you can easily locate and recognize it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Navigate back to the File dropdown menu
    6. Open Recent
    7. Select the name of your own data file 
    8. Click Open
    9. Follow the prompts (if any) until your own data file successfully opens
    10. Navigate back to File
    11. Import
    12. Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)... (even if you are on Mac)
    13. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    14. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful
    Once that is done, you should see that all your mother's accounts have now been added to your own data file.

Please note
     that you will need to re-establish online connections for any accounts from your mother's file that were originally set up for automatic downloads. 

There are also a few features that will not be imported as these features do not export nor import. Please, refer to this support article under the section titled "More about QXF files" for more detailed information regarding what .QXF files do and/or do not export/import.

Should anything go wrong, or if you wish to simply revert back to your data prior to importing the data from your mother's file, then restore the backup file you saved prior to performing the import by navigating to File > Restore from Backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @QuickSteve First, let me say I'm sorry for your loss.

In terms of Quicken, just be certain that having your mother's financial history integrated with your own is really what you want to do. I would think you'd be better off keeping her finances in a separate data file until you wind down her affairs, and then to have as a historical record for as long as needed. If the issue is that you will pass money from time to time between your accounts and your mother's accounts, I'd rather have to enter those transactions in two different files than to have the data co-mingled. Obviously, you know how simple or complex your mother's accounts and affairs are, so I can't say merging them is the wrong thing to do; I only offer this as general advice.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickSteve
    Thank you, Quicken Anja! I'm not sure what I was doing wrong previously that it kept merging her accounts with mine. Following your steps above worked like a charm, though. I appreciate the useful, and quick (no pun intended), help!
  • QuickSteve
    @jacobs Thank you, yes, it is, for better or worse, a very simple financial situation, and we're to the point accounts are closed or names on them changed, etc., but your point is well taken.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited March 2021
    @QuickSteve You're welcome! And thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that worked for you. :)

-Quicken Anja

• CBolin
    CBolin Member
    Thanks for your input above. I have attempted this process multiple times, but each time, when I get to the Import step, choose my QXF file and click Continue, I get a popup that says, "Enter a valid file name". I am choosing a .qxf file that I exported and saved. In this instance, "SimH Working EXPORT 081321.qxf".
    Help?
  • RosemaryK
    RosemaryK Member ✭✭
    I've got the same situation but with a brokerage account in addition. How can I move the brokerage account? Thanks for your help! Rosemary
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @RosemaryK,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community, however, since this is an older post that was originally created back in March of 2021, it is less likely to receive an answer now.

I would suggest creating a new post for better visibility and to potentially receive responses from other users who may currently be experiencing the same problem. Doing so will also assist us with better tracking ability in the event that this issue may result in an escalation being required.

Please be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages (if applicable) as well as the version of Quicken you have currently running (Quicken > About Quicken). The more information you are able to provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.