Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

PROBLEM MANAGING FIDELITY ACCOUNT REINVESTMENT TRANSACTIONS

JMSOUNDER
JMSOUNDER Member
edited April 5 in Investing (Windows)
Fidelity account has a cash link. When I download reinvestment data, the cash amounts go to the cash linked acc with the proper description, div; cg etc but not share data. These transactions are added to the fidelity fund acc with description and amt but no shares. The total cash for all tranactions , div, stcg, ltcg are transferred and recorded as bought with a total share balance and share unit price. But I also have tranactions that show reinvested div and cgs.
The investment activity report adds the "Bought" val to the mkt val 1 which becomes the amount invested for the time interval. The income section shows the sum of bought and reinvested cash. Both quicken actions are correct. However, there should not be a bought transaction, only reinvestments.
My problem how do I correct the fidelity tranactions to show that both are reinvestments. Is there a workaround to edit this data or do I have to manually edit? What do I need to change to fix future transaction downloads.?
I could not find anything on support or community about this problem.

[Edited from UPPER to sentence case using https://convertcase.net/ - RJS]

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @JMSOUNDER

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is an odd issue. I'm wondering ere if you could show us currently how they're displayed. This will give us a better idea of how to try correcting the register to reflect accurately. I'll leave an article down below on how to take a screenshot. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once you've had a chance to do so let us know how and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you would like to change a Div (or DivX) and Bought (or BoughtX) action transactions into a ReinvDiv action transaction, you must manually edit the transactions in the account.  The financial institution controls the form of the future transaction downloads.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the fact that reinvestment transactions are treated differently in performance metrics when their split into separate income and purchase transactions .  If you're tracking investment performance, I suggest being consistent.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I'm a Fidelity customer also.  My experience has been that if a Fidelity fund is making a SINGLE payment, on a given day, then it will  download  as ReinvDiv, ReinvInc, etc.  This is because I have set, at Fidelity's website, to reinvest all such distributions.  I received a single such transaction just this morning for Equity Income fund, which paid a dividend.
    IF,  however, multiple payments are made for the same  fund on the same day (say, a DIV, a CGShort and a  CG Long), Fidelity will download each of those individually and then download a single BOUGHT transaction that covers all of the cash received.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP