How do I put my wife's and my quicken accounts on one computer?

Options
I now have my both my wife's and my quicken accounts on different computers. I want to put them both on one computer but still keep them separate. How do I do that?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @dreamcatcherimaging,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

If you don't mind, we will need some additional information in order to better assist you further.

Are you currently using Quicken for Mac on both computers, or is one of them Windows? And just to confirm; after moving the file to the same computer, will that be on Mac?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How separate do they have to be? 
    You could use 2 Q data files on one computer (backup on her computer and restore to yours) OR, you could add the accounts of one of you to the file of the other ... and just keep those sets of accounts unique to the individual.
    My wife and I have a pre-nup that is intended to keep our assets separate, but they're all in a single Q data file ... and I manage both sets of accounts within that single data file?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Assuming this is an all-Mac question, let's also clarify some terminology just to make sure we're speaking the same language. ;)

A Quicken data file is the actual file on the computer which you access with Quicken. You can have multiple sarape data files; for instance: for yourself and a small non-profit group for which you see the books, or for yourself and your spouse, assuming you wish to keep your finances completely separate. There is no interaction between different Quicken data files. You can only have one open at a time, but it's easy to switch back and forth using File > Open Recent.

A Quicken account is a parallel to a real-world account, like a checking account, credit card account, loan account, etc. These are what you see down the left sidebar of Quicken. All accounts live in one data file, and are searchable, and can be accessed in reports. You can have separate checking or credit cards accounts for yourself and your wife within one Quicken file, if you wish to have your finances integrated. 

If you can clarify if you want different data file or different accounts in one data file, we can provide help on how to proceed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.