Add Lifetime/Retirement Planner to Quicken Mac (70 Legacy Votes)

John L1
John L1 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools
I was a religious user of the Lifetime Planner on Quicken Windows.  I like the fact that the Mac version is catching up, but this planning tool is a critical component to me and extremely useful as I think about what I need to do to save for retirement.  Please port this functionality over from the Windows side.

(Please Preserve-Part of an active Idea)
196 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. - CTP-7562

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    i recall all those wonderful features when I was a QW Premier user; I would not expect to see the lifetime planner in QM in the near future, QM has so many deficiencies wrt QW. It would be a nice thing to have but updating the reporting & investment areas, etc seems to be more urgent.
  • Tim Bennett
    Tim Bennett Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've always been a Mac user and have always used a VM to access Quicken Windows due to ONE feature missing on Mac: Retirement Planner.  Why is it so difficult to build this exclusive Windows-Quicken feature into the Mac product?

Quicken supposedly has new leadership why not evolve the Mac product. What am I missing here that's so fundamentally challenging to Quicken engineers?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I've always been a Mac user and have always used a VM to access Quicken Windows due to ONE feature missing on Mac: Retirement Planner.  Why is it so difficult to build this exclusive Windows-Quicken feature into the Mac product?

Quicken supposedly has new leadership why not evolve the Mac product. What am I missing here that's so fundamentally challenging to Quicken engineers?

What am I missing here...? 
    The fact there are MANY competing priorities...Quicken for Mac has been redeveloped and since late 2013 has been updated to include MANY missing features based on the Quicken Essentials for Mac product released in 2010. But with the divestiture of Quicken by Intuit, there has been a lot of churn to complete this endeavour. And with originally limited resources, this has been a slow progress. 

The good news is that we are told that Quicken has committed to doubling the Mac development team, and once the move away from Intuit is complete, resources will be more available to work on more Mac developments. 

That said, I recommend you look at the following list to identify any features being requested that you see missing in Quicken for Mac. You may want to add your vote to requests found on the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac.
    This is a special list that draws attention to requests specifically related to this topic. Click the underlined link to visit that page to see the selection and add your VOTE to promote that list, to encourage others to vote. Then click on the links there to vote on the specific requests.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This includes adding your vote at the top of this page to Add Lifetime Planner to Quicken Mac.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QWin end up in the latest version.

Your VOTE matters!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Tim Bennett
    Tim Bennett Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I'm another Quicken Mac hopeful who wants you to Add Lifetime Planner to Quicken Mac. Right now I continue to update, purchase and use Parallels JUST to use the Windows version of Lifetime Planner.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I must have the retirement planner or I cannot move from Windows to Mac. This is very disappointing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    when it is incorporated into mac version I will transfer to mac version and be happy to pay the subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I would like the Lifetime/Retirement Planner added to Quicken for Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I will gladly sign up for subscription for equivalent of Quicken Premier (or highest cost version offered) if Lifetime Planner is present in Quicken for Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Must have retirement planner for me to move to a subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

The new Mac subscription terms include access to all of the features in the Windows version -  -does this mean that the Mac version now includes the lifetime/retirement planner?  That would be a huge plus for me.  Otherwise, I am not going to move from my current version
  • John L1
    John L1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I bought the new 2018 Mac subscription under the premise that, as you said, "all features of the Windows version" would be included.  Alas, no lifetime planner.  Save your money - "new" 2018 Quicken Mac is essentially the same as "old" with a few minor tweaks to some reports and Portfolio views.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Nowhere does it say that all the Windows version features are in the Mac version...though the marketing does not make it very clear that these are still VERY different products....

And it is correct, Lifetime Planner is still not included...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    When the Lifetime Planner is added to Mac version I too will transfer to the Mac version and be happy to pay the subscription.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When is Quicken going to incorporate a retirement calculator into its software ?.

The retirement calculator will enable customers to check at least annually if they are on track toward having adequate assets /income upon retirement to live on.  This calculator should be able to do a Monte Carlo analysis to determine if there is at least a 75% probability that customers will not run out of money before they die.
  • Roland5@
    Roland5@ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Retirement Calculator.

Quicken for MAC is a great product. BUT....When will we see the retirement calculator that currently operates in the Windows version.  Or, do you offer a stand alone solution that can take the MAC export .csv file?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: When is Quicken going to incorporate a retirement calculator into its software ?.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Retirement Calculator.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: When is Quicken going to incorporate a retirement calculator into its software ?.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why doesn't QM2018 have a tax planner?.

I loved tax planner in Quicken for Windows 2017.  My PC was old and slow so I got a MacBook Pro - thinking I could still use Quicken, not realizing Quicken for Mac doesn't have all of the same features as Quicken for Windows....
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Why? It's a long and twisted story. Here's the one-paragraph short version...

Quicken for Windows is the culmination of 30+ years of development. Quicken Mac was in a similar state in 2007, when the developers concluded that they couldn't keep adding onto it because changes in the Mac operating system were going to make core parts of the program obsolete. They bit the bullet and decided to start over from scratch. Unfortunately, management at Intuit at that time changed direction and leadership a few times, resulting in a failed first effort that never made it to market (Quicken Financial Life in 2008), then a second effort that made it to market as a very basic, limited version of Quicken (Quicken Essentials in 2010), and near abandonment of Quicken Mac and the development team thereafter. In late 2012, they hired a new product manager, who hired a few developers and steered this tiny team to create what came to market as Quicken 2015 for Mac. It was a major improvement over Quicken Essentials, but fell well short of either the venerable Quicken 2007 for Mac or Quicken Windows. Over the ensuing nearly four years, the Mac development team has slowly grown, and there has been a long string of enhancements to the Mac program. Nonetheless, development is slow, and the Mac product today still doesn't have all the features of the Windows product or the old Mac product. 

We all use Quicken differently, so for some people the missing feature in the Mac product are inconsequential or are inconvenient but able to be worked around; for others, one or more missing features makes the Mac product not suited to their needs. The good news is that management has stated a goal of making the Mac version on par with the windows version, that there have been clear signs of progress in that direction, and that the independent Quicken company has hired more Mac programmers. The bad news is that there's a lot of ground to cover, and development progress is slow, so if there's a particular feature you're missing, it could be months or years until the Mac version fully catches up. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Bummer!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Retirement and investing planning.

Please add additional retirement features to Quicken for Mac 2017. I purchased this product for budgeting and retirement planning. It offers FEW choices for retirement and investing and DOES NOT offer any retirement planning tools, especially the LIFETIME PLANNER. It cost too much to purchase virtual software and windows to allow the PC version to run on a macintosh computer for JUST ONE SOFTWARE PROGRAM... QUICKEN!!!  I purchased this product for retirement planning and it does not function. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Planning Tools Mac.

yes, I just got burned similarly.  Quicken - when will you have the retirement aspects w Mac version?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Retirement and investing planning.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Planning Features Mac.

Suspect this will not be available for some time, the investment area in QM are very much lacking, I enjoyed these aspects as part of QW, now I simply access this type info from my Fi. Realize this is not what your wanting to accept but it is reality non the less

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Retirement and investing planning.
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Planning Mac.

According to this post from Cal Carter, Support claimed during a recent call that much of the missing Investment functionality will be included in Quicken for Mac in the September release.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Planning Tools in Mac.

I just switched over from Windows 2015 to Mac 2018 and I have to say I am extremely disappointed in this product.   I regularly used the Retirement and life planning function on my Windows version.  Is this feature still in the Windows version of Quicken?  There are many other things I enjoyed about QW2015 that are not on QM2018 and if I had the option, I would go back to my old version.  As a 20+ year faithful user of Quicken, I have to say that I am seriously looking at changing to another Financial management program.

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Planning Tools Merge.

If you just purchased QM18 you have also purchased QW18; So I expect you can have access to the retirement features in QW 18.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Planning Tools in Mac.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mac Planning Tools Merge.

Or if you are convinced Quicken Mac doesn't meet your needs, you can get a full refund if you do so within 30 days of purchase. 

Quicken Mac is definitely still a work in progress; it definitely has been getting better, and everything we hear from Quicken executives points to a commitment to keep chipping away at bringing the Mac version closer to parity with the Windows version -- but even the developers can't offer a clear timetable on how long that will take.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Planning Tools in Mac.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mac Planning.

For anyone who wants to see the Lifetime Planner added to Quicken Mac, there is an existing thread you should click on and then click on the blue VOTE button in the upper right.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-lifetime-planner-to-quicken-mac

The number of votes on a thread do matter when it comes to how the developers prioritize work on Quicken for Mac, so if this is something you want, take a second to click on this link and click on the blue Vote button in the upper right.

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add long range planning capabilities to Quicken Mac.

Financial Fate brings this idea to IBM compatibles (non Mac PCs), but there's nothing like it for the Mac.  Quicken does a great job of allowing us to track to where we are and have been, but it would be helpful if it could also help us figure out where we're going.  No one drives forward while constantly looking in the rear view mirror, but that's often how financial management software works.  Anyone interested in figuring out how to get where you're going?  Wouldn't this be the ultimate planning tool?
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I totally agree - this is why I bought quicken for PC years ago, and used to love the feature.  I would really like to see this come back, and I would be willing to pay extra.  As an individual investor, there really is not a good tool to do your personal financial planning.  You have to pay a professional to look at your watch and tell you what time it is.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I agree with what everyone has said on this.  I am a Mac user and have been using QW via VM for several years.  I just decided to move the the Mac version recently.  In general I like it, but I hate that the retirement planner is not there.  Why isn't there a roadmap where QM users could see when this feature and other features will be added.  sigh