Add an option to re-order accounts in the sidebar (Q Mac)

Mike Cockayne
Mike Cockayne Member ✭✭✭
edited February 17 in Display/UI (Mac)
Add an option to re-order accounts in the sidebar
A small request but I believe quite valuable too many users.
11 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is an Idea post which originally asked for the option to sort accounts alphabetically in the sidebar. The developers have said that they do not plan to implement an alphabetic sort, but "the team is working on possible custom grouping in the future." That sounds like what is being asked for here, so this is probably a feature request which could be marked as "Under Consideration" or "Planned". Nonetheless, since the future is uncertain, I think anyone who wants flexibility/control over how accounts are grouped in the sidebar should vote for this Idea post.

If you have thoughts about how you would like to see this implemented, add comments below. (But add your vote above first!) 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs currently Quicken Mac has no way for you to change the order of the account names?
    If not, what order do they appear in?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Chris_QPW Correct, there is no way to manually re-order or re-group anything in the left sidebar of accounts. They appear in alphabetic order within each subgroup of accounts:

Banking
        Cash
            checking and cash accounts
        Savings
            savings accounts
        Credit Card
            credit card accounts
    Investing
        Brokerage
             all non-retirement investing accounts
        Retirement
             all retirement accounts
    Property & Debt
        Property
             asset accounts
        Debt
            loan and other liability accounts
    Hidden accounts
    Separate accounts

The only thing some of us to do have some limited control is to rename certain types of accounts with numerical prefixes, to put them in the order we want:
        1-Hilton Amex
        2-Capital One Visa
        3-Lowes credit card
        4-Apple Card

The group and subgroup headings do appear and disappear dynamically, which is good (e.g. if you don't have any savings accounts, you won't see the Savings subheading under Banking. 

But you can't put an account into a different group or sub-group, and you can't create your own groups or subgroups; accounts show up under the appropriate group heading based on the account type. 

Thus this feature request to give users control of order/grouping of accounts in the sidebar. This isn't a significant problem for me personally, but some users have many, many accounts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @jacobs.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mike Cockayne
    Mike Cockayne Member ✭✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > There is an Idea post which originally asked for the option to sort accounts alphabetically in the sidebar. The developers have said that they do not plan to implement an alphabetic sort, but "the team is working on possible custom grouping in the future." That sounds like what is being asked for here, so this is probably a feature request which could be marked as "Under Consideration" or "Planned". Nonetheless, since the future is uncertain, I think anyone who wants flexibility/control over how accounts are grouped in the sidebar should vote for this Idea post.
    >
    > If you have thoughts about how you would like to see this implemented, add comments below. (But add your vote above first!) 
  • Mike Cockayne
    Mike Cockayne Member ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Upon further thought I would like to see the accounts grouped as they are, but sorted numerically by account number the way ones sees it on the bank's site.
    On my screen I have quicken open sitting next to my browser with the bank online web site open,
    it would be nice to have the ability just to glance over and compare balances in order without continually looking up and down lists.
    Mike
  • Mike Cockayne
    Mike Cockayne Member ✭✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @Chris_QPW Correct, there is no way to manually re-order or re-group anything in the left sidebar of accounts. They appear in alphabetic order within each subgroup of accounts:
    >
    > Banking
    >     Cash
    >         checking and cash accounts
    >     Savings
    >         savings accounts
    >     Credit Card
    >         credit card accounts
    > Investing
    >     Brokerage
    >          all non-retirement investing accounts
    >     Retirement
    >          all retirement accounts
    > Property & Debt
    >     Property
    >          asset accounts
    >     Debt
    >         loan and other liability accounts
    > Hidden accounts
    > Separate accounts
    >
    > The only thing some of us to do have some limited control is to rename certain types of accounts with numerical prefixes, to put them in the order we want:
    >     1-Hilton Amex
    >     2-Capital One Visa
    >     3-Lowes credit card
    >     4-Apple Card
    >
    > The group and subgroup headings do appear and disappear dynamically, which is good (e.g. if you don't have any savings accounts, you won't see the Savings subheading under Banking. 
    >
    > But you can't put an account into a different group or sub-group, and you can't create your own groups or subgroups; accounts show up under the appropriate group heading based on the account type. 
    >
    > Thus this feature request to give users control of order/grouping of accounts in the sidebar. This isn't a significant problem for me personally, but some users have many, many accounts.
  • Mike Cockayne
    Mike Cockayne Member ✭✭✭
    Many thanks Jacobs, I have implemented your idea 👏
  • Wbrehm
    Wbrehm Member
    That would be great if we could control the grouping of our accounts.
    Thanks. I voted
  • mlbarle123
    mlbarle123 Member
    I like the idea of arranging items the way the user sees fit.