Add an option to re-order accounts in the sidebar (Q Mac) (+1 Merged Vote)

Options
2»

Comments

• Brad L Vandermoon
    Brad L Vandermoon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

there are work arounds to make this work but I think this thread is really wanting to be able to control the category that accounts are listed in. And, also allow new customizable categories.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Brad L Vandermoon You’re correct. There is a note from the Quicken moderators at the top of this thread which says:

Development team is considering allowing re-ordering accounts within their subgroup only; groups and subgroups cannot be re-ordered.

That’s not going to accomplish what users have been asking for. Simply re-arranging the order of accounts within the existing groups and subgroups is helpful, but only to a limited extent. (And some of us already do this by simply using numerical prefixes on account names — e.g. “1-XYZ Visa”, “2-ABC Mastercard”, etc.)

Users are asking for the ability to move accounts to different group/subgroup headings, and ideally, to be able to make their own groups/subgroups. This is especially important to people who have a savings/checking-type account at a brokerage, which Quicken currently puts under Brokerage accounts.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tcolyer
    tcolyer Member ✭✭
    Options

I can't imagine why the Quicken Team would resist creating maximum flexibility for users to move accounts to the maximum in order to best meet user needs. I certainly support this request.

• Brad L Vandermoon
    Options

hey quicken, just saw a new release come, and it still does not include this enhancement. the enhancements you provide in this release are so non-important/not really desired (change the tax report, a little better net worth card). come on …. the enhancement requested here will make your product so much better. why wouldn't you implement this?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Brad L Vandermoon Three quick notes…

(1) The developers and management don’t read all these comments except when they’re working on a particular feature. Posting a note to “Hey Quicken” asking them to make this a priority is not going to be read by anyone who could decide to make this a priority.

(2) This idea is still marked as “Under Consideration”, which means the developers do not yet have it in their schedule for implementation. It may get done somewhere down the road, but to avoid feeling disappointed with each release this year, I suggest not expecting to see this anytime soon.

(3) If you read the note from the developers in the yellow box on the first page of this thread, you’ll see that they do not plan to implement free rearrangement of the sidebar, and are only considering implementing rearrangement within an existing subgroup. So even if they get around to implementing this, their implementation will likely fall short of what many users would like. It’s also worth noting that you can already rearrange accounts within a subgroup simply by adding numerical prefixes to your account names — e.g. “1-XYZ Visa, 2-ABC Amex”.

As for why they haven’t made this a priority, we’ll never know… but I can speculate. 😀 Allowing users to rearrange the sidebar is a “nicety” — it adds no new capabilities to what Quicken Mac can do, it just allows users to organize the tools better to their liking. The developers sometimes implement niceties like this, but most of their time goes into adding features/functionality to do things users previously could not do.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Brad L Vandermoon
    Options

you point our problems with no solutions. also not sure where you get your info about quicken people following or not following. do i think they actively follow stuff here …. no. i do think they would passively get info from here for the most active threads.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You've already made it clear you want this feature; repeating the same complaint over & over isn't adding anything to the thread. If you could think of a new reason why this is a useful feature - a reason that hasn't already been mentioned - that might help convince them to put this on their development schedule.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

no. i do think they would passively get info from here for the most active threads.

I do too (think that they get information from the most active threads), but this certainly isn't one of them. The most active threads are when a feature like downloading of transactions from a very popular financial institution stops working. We are talking lots of people and hundreds of comments. Not one person complaining. And I might add there are anti-spamming rules to the forum, so if one person just thinks they can fill up a thread with comments and get what they want they might be surprised at the actions taken by the moderators.

With that being said, the moderators have said that when they do pass on some information from here, and at times they developers do look at this forum, but like the others have said, mostly when they are looking for certain information for something they have been tasked with.

If the developers spend time here, they aren't spending time doing their job. For an Idea like this that has already been reviewed by the development group, they most likely are not going to spend any more time on it. It is in their system, and they have tons more in their system to work on, again it just isn't a good use of their time to keep reevaluating things like this. At least until, this feature is more important to more people.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/