Truist Confirms Quicken Direct Connect Option - but there's a problem

Comments

• kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Wow. I need to double check my payments before the transition!

Things are really screwed up, maybe my lack of bill pay is minor compared to having it then losing it!

I am speechless on how the transition is being handled. How many years prep do they really need?

A piece of mail to Suntrust PC banking users would have been nice instead of everyone trying to grab scraps to get things to work. I should have known when the bank sends out a notice that you new service "MAY HAVE BILL PAYMENT!

What kind of planning are you doing! It either has it or doesn't!
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    @gsundel I have the same problem with bill pay.

I haven't figured this out after over 20 hours of phone calls with the Digital Support Team members on how to explain that this is a specific problem that needs a specific ticket to request resolution.

I have had bank reps tell me that they provided connectivity and Bill paying in this third party app is my problem to resolve. I have asked for Truist management to talk to me while I am on the phone but no one is available. Instead, I am only promised a call back which has not happen after a week. I have dates and agent names if anybody in Truist cares.

I just stopped calling since I can never get a rep who worked for Suntrust and has a basic understanding what we are talking about. BB&T members have no idea what bill paying within Quicken using the bank to issue payments means.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @Rick Staveley said:
    > Last night I was also able to deactivate my old SunTrust Direct Connect in Quicken and reestablish a new Direct Connect with BB&T / Truist following the guide someone else posted in this thread (could not get into the page in the letter Truist sent me). I also scheduled test payments through Quicken from both my business and personal accounts that should arrive to my wife next week and I have been able to download transactions using this connection. I do note that the payments have a check # of "Sent" in Quicken rather than a check number as they did formerly with SunTrust. (I think someone else pointed this out in this thread.)
    >

Well, today is March 3, the mail arrived and the test payments from my personal and business accounts were not there. We will see if they arrive tomorrow and I have a call with the local branch scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I also think payments scheduled via SunTrust DirectConnect before the Truist conversion (which have check numbers in Quicken) were probably cancelled without notice, since none of those reached their destination to date.

The bottom line at the moment is that I think my "successful" enrollment in DirectConnect with BB&T and subsequent processing of payments through Quicken (which are reflected as "Sent" in Quicken) was not successful at all and actually would have preferred receiving an error than being led to believe everything was set up correctly. The entire conversion was such a mess.

So either those test payments arrive tomorrow and my local branch can provide some useful answers (doubtful on both) or it is time to start the process of finding an alternative bank. I need basic things to work properly.
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    @Rick Staveley Did you try an electronic payee that does not require a paper check?

There is always some uncertainty with a mailed check due to our outstanding post service. Just wondering.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @kapinossa said:
    > @Rick Staveley Did you try an electronic payee that does not require a paper check?
    >
    > There is always some uncertainty with a mailed check due to our outstanding post service. Just wondering.

No I just processed payments to my wife. They were sent via Quicken the night of 2/23 (so let's say 2/24). That was a full week ago and we have been (knock on wood) pretty lucky with USPS incoming mail here. We'll see what happens tomorrow, but if not here by tomorrow, hard to see how they can be counted on for delivering payments on the dates scheduled. With SunTrust, I'd say 99% of payments arrived on the scheduled date.

I actually use this payment method primarily to replace paper checks. With a few exceptions, I pay mortgages, credit cards and utilities online via their websites who draw from my account. I hate having my bank account out there like that but at the moment, happy I do it that way for important payments I guess.
  • KennyDu
    KennyDu Member ✭✭
    > @kapinossa said:
    > @Rick Staveley Did you try an electronic payee that does not require a paper check?
    >
    > There is always some uncertainty with a mailed check due to our outstanding post service. Just wondering.

@Rick Staveley has the unique distinction, as far as I can tell, of having gotten a payment to go through the system...even if they didn't actually pay it. LOL. I have never gotten past the OL-306-A error to get a chance to pay anything.

On the good side [looking for a bright spot here], all of the payments I created in Truist bill pay on the website have worked perfectly so far. In Quicken, I just mark the payment that would have been in the "SEND" category as a blank register entry...log into Truist to create a payment...and when the reconcile downloads from Truist [after payment occurs], it all matches up perfectly, and I can continue to use Quicken to manage my payments calendar.

It's annoying...it's additional steps...it's unnecessary...it's not what I want!! But, it is a workaround that is one step better than nothing until Truist can fix this issue.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @KennyDu said:
    > > @kapinossa said:
    > > @Rick Staveley Did you try an electronic payee that does not require a paper check?
    > >
    > > There is always some uncertainty with a mailed check due to our outstanding post service. Just wondering.
    >
    > @Rick Staveley has the unique distinction, as far as I can tell, of having gotten a payment to go through the system...even if they didn't actually pay it. LOL. I have never gotten past the OL-306-A error to get a chance to pay anything.
    >
    > On the good side [looking for a bright spot here], all of the payments I created in Truist bill pay on the website have worked perfectly so far. In Quicken, I just mark the payment that would have been in the "SEND" category as a blank register entry...log into Truist to create a payment...and when the reconcile downloads from Truist [after payment occurs], it all matches up perfectly, and I can continue to use Quicken to manage my payments calendar.
    >
    > It's annoying...it's additional steps...it's unnecessary...it's not what I want!! But, it is a workaround that is one step better than nothing until Truist can fix this issue.

I actually hand wrote some paper checks and mailed them this morning for the first time in a long time. I went to do it online but it seems like those payments also take a week and I'm trying to get money to our parents who count on it and usually get it on the first of the month. So to be sure they get them next week, I just dropped the checks in the mailbox.
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Today's snail mail delivered the long-awaited PIN from PNC Bank for enabling my access their Direct Connect w/bank bill pay service (no charge). The first step in the account set up process requires you to change this PNC PIN to your preferred PIN. The rest of the steps were very simple and fast. Quicken quickly accessed my new PNC Bank accts, and all of them were automatically activated for Direct Connect and bill pay, and were populated in my Quicken registers. I then created and sent my first bill payment instruction to PNC. In quick return, my account register now shows the new payment details, and includes a check number and the little lightning bolt symbol...the same trouble free way that SunTrust did this for the past 20+yrs! World order has now been restored. Adios to the Truist amateur hour.
    The name of the financial institution to search for when setting up Quicken is: PNC Direct Connect
  • titanrx
    titanrx Member ✭✭
    > @REJones said:
    > Today's snail mail delivered the long-awaited PIN from PNC Bank for enabling my access their Direct Connect w/bank bill pay service (no charge). The first step in the account set up process requires you to change this PNC PIN to your preferred PIN. The rest of the steps were very simple and fast. Quicken quickly accessed my new PNC Bank accts, and all of them were automatically activated for Direct Connect and bill pay, and were populated in my Quicken registers. I then created and sent my first bill payment instruction to PNC. In quick return, my account register now shows the new payment details, and includes a check number and the little lightning bolt symbol...the same trouble free way that SunTrust did this for the past 20+yrs! World order has now been restored. Adios to the Truist amateur hour.

I received my PNC credentials at the beginning of the week and immediately got Quicken set up with no issues. Set up 2 payments, 1 a paper check to my wife, the other a bill which isn't due for 3 weeks but I set it up to pay ASAP so if it doesn't work I'll have plenty of time to reissue. The paper check should be here tomorrow. Both forms of payment received check numbers in the Quicken register. The existing payees already set up in Quicken were used by the PNC account, no extra data entry required.

On a side note, I received the statement for the credit card which Truist didn't pay and I'll be bringing that and my documentation proving that they are responsible so that I can get Truist to reimburse the late fee and interest. Once my direct deposits are transferred to PNC, adios Truist.
  • TDW
    TDW Member ✭✭
    Yes it's the same problem for others and nobody knows how to solve it at the bank or in this forum. Apparently others are lucky not to have this issue.
  • TDW
    TDW Member ✭✭
    > @gsundel said:
    > when i do an update, i get my account transactions, but when I send a check, it says my account is not authorized - is this the same problem others are having? or what do I need to tell Truist to authorize since none of the customer service people seem to know???

Yes it's the same problem for others and nobody knows how to solve it at the bank or in this forum. Apparently others are lucky not to have this issue.
  • TDW
    TDW Member ✭✭
    > @TDW said:
    > Yes it's the same problem for others and nobody knows how to solve it at the bank or in this forum. Apparently others are lucky not to have this issue.

Oops
  • Hedgewick
    Hedgewick Member ✭✭
    I'm moving the Huntington Bank, which has a local presence and claims to offer Direct Connect.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @kapinossa said:
    >

Well @kapinossa, you were right! The 2 test payments processed through Quicken / BB&T DirectConnect arrived today (8 days after processing and a day late - but they are here). I also spoke to my local branch manager who is looking into the payments scheduled via Quicken / SunTrust DirectConnect to tell me if they were cancelled or not and also to confirm additional payments scheduled through Quicken / BB&T DirectConnect will be made.

So, unless these two test payments are anomalies, the BB&T DirectConnect (including Bill Pay through Quicken) does seem to be working if you can get it working (easier said than done for some, I know).

One other thing to pass along... when talking to the branch manager, she asked me what version of Quicken I was using. I am on whatever is most current since I was forced into a subscription a couple of years ago. She told me she helped another customer who was still working with an older version of Quicken that turned out to be the problem. I didn't think that was even possible any longer, but just passing along in case someone else has an older version of Quicken still running.
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    @Rick Staveley Glad to hear that your payments arrived and verified that BB&T Online via Truist does have bill payment capability.

Of course for me, I still have no bill paying capability but there is some hope based on your success.

I am using the latest version of Quicken for windows and have verified that it is the latest but it does not work.

Thanks for letting us know of your success, just wondering about how widespread this problem is for former Suntrust PC banking users or are we just a small percentage with an issue that will never be resolved?
  • wesc223
    wesc223 Member
    I tried this but wound up with 87 transactions to match and a huge balance that is just a dream. Two questions:
    1.What did I do wrong?
    2.Step 10 didn't do anything. Where do I get registered? BB&T or Truist?
    3.How do I confirm the Registered Data File?
    Thanks for any guidance you can give.
  • KennyDu
    KennyDu Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @wesc223 said:
    > I tried this but wound up with 87 transactions to match and a huge balance that is just a dream. Two questions:
    > 1.What did I do wrong?
    > 2.Step 10 didn't do anything. Where do I get registered? BB&T or Truist?
    > 3.How do I confirm the Registered Data File?
    > Thanks for any guidance you can give.

It’s hard to say specifically what you did wrong, but I know that I saw a similar problem when I set up an account & accidentally mismatched the accounts during the selection process. I’m not a huge fan of the way Quicken does the “link to an existing account process”; as I find it a bit confusing & Quicken sometimes shows closed accounts in the list (which I know is likely my fault based on some setting).

I’m not sure what step 10 you might be referencing, but if you go back to page 2 of this thread, you will find one of my posts that lists the exact steps I used…taken from someone that figured something out. I followed those steps exactly & got Direct Connect set up. As many others have noted, bill pay from Quicken through Truist is still not working with an OL-306-A error, but at least the setup completes.

Hope that helps.
  • titanrx
    titanrx Member ✭✭
    > @wesc223 said:
    > I tried this but wound up with 87 transactions to match and a huge balance that is just a dream. Two questions:

> Thanks for any guidance you can give.

I got my Truist checking connected via Express Web without any issues other than the duplicate transactions issue (easily deleted), but for some unknown reason, my balance was higher than it should have been. I reconcile every month and zero out without issue so I had to track down where the discrepancy occurred. I had statements going back to 2016 and randomly checked month-end balances and found that every month that I checked was high by $4003.51. Searched for a $4003.51 transaction and discovered that linking to Truist changed the opening balance (28 years ago!) from $0 to $4003.51. Changed the starting balance back to $0 and everything is back in balance. Not sure why this happened but thanks to Truist, I had several more hours of busy work in addition to all the other hours already wasted.

I will continue to use only Web Express for downloads and web-based bill paying until all of my direct deposits move to my new PNC checking. I won't activate the Truist/BBT direct connect since it wants me to agree to $10/month to proceed with the connection. I won't be giving Truist $10/month for a service I had for free for 28 years (especially when their competitors are providing bill pay for free).
  • JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    If you try and use Truist, you won't get direct connect.  But if you follow their instructions and use BBT-Online, you can use direct connect and use bill pay.  It seems to work fine.  I'm not sure why they did it that was but there it is.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    @JohnA -- good morning... I noticed your post. I also connected via BB&T (not sure about the "BB&T Online"). Although I can download transactions, I cannot use DirectConnect "Bill Pay". Also, I noticed that I cannot enter any new "Payees" (e.g., myself for testing purposes).

Did I read it correctly that you were able to get bill pay to work (e.g., issue checks which display a "lightning bolt" next to the auto-generated check #)?
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @""Rick Staveley" -- hello... based on your March 4th post, you indicated the 2 test payments did arrive (although late).

1. How did you set them up? Which of the drop-down options (see attached JPG) did you use?
    2. Did you have any issues setting up new payees?

Although I am connected via BB&T, I am not sure if I used the *correct* BB&T connection. If I remember correctly, there were several to chose from.
    3. Which BB&T connection did you select during the configuration process?

Thank you.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Btw, I keep on reading about a 38-page document. Would anyone be so kind and provide me a link to it? Thanks!
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @skydivetom said:
    > @""Rick Staveley" -- hello... based on your March 4th post, you indicated the 2 test payments did arrive (although late).
    >
    > 1. How did you set them up? Which of the drop-down options (see attached JPG) did you use?
    > 2. Did you have any issues setting up new payees?
    >
    > Although I am connected via BB&T, I am not sure if I used the *correct* BB&T connection. If I remember correctly, there were several to chose from.
    > 3. Which BB&T connection did you select during the configuration process?
    >
    > Thank you.

I set payments up in the online banking center. No issues setting up payees and my SunTrust payees are available to me for BB&T payments. It looks like your jpeg is taken from the register and I didn’t send them from there. However, it looks like your drop list is missing “Send Online Payment” compared to what I see. If sending from register that is what I will use.

I don’t recall there being more than one BB&T option when setting it up.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @skydivetom said:
    > Btw, I keep on reading about a 38-page document. Would anyone be so kind and provide me a link to it? Thanks!

I got this from the fifth post in this thread:

https://www.truist.com/content/dam/truist/us/en/documents/internal/olb/QRG-OLB-DirectConnectReenroll.pdf

You should have received a letter that included a website to visit, where presumably this is also available. However, for many of us, that link did not work around the time of the Truist conversion. I haven't been back there since I got the file per the link above. But it may also be working now.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    @Rick Staveley -- thank you for the prompt response. I appreciate it.

1. I checked out the "Online Center"... usually, I executed my payments from the "Bills" tab where I merely just clicked on "Enter" (for any scheduled payments).

2a. I still cannot select "New" (payees). See attached. Not sure if that's due to my having chosen the incorrect BB&T connection.

2b. Per 2a., I am successfully downloading my transactions from TRUIST. So, having the "incorrect" BB&T is somewhat counter-intuitive. In my view, it either works OR it doesn't. Having partial capability (transaction download = yes AND bill pay = NO doesn't seem to make sense).

Any final thoughts as to what I might be missing? I'm considering switching banks but I really would prefer NOT to do so (as you can image, there's a great deal of work involved when switching banks).

Cheers.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @skydivetom said:
    > @Rick Staveley -- thank you for the prompt response. I appreciate it.
    >
    > 1. I checked out the "Online Center"... usually, I executed my payments from the "Bills" tab where I merely just clicked on "Enter" (for any scheduled payments).
    >
    > 2a. I still cannot select "New" (payees). See attached. Not sure if that's due to my having chosen the incorrect BB&T connection.
    >
    > 2b. Per 2a., I am successfully downloading my transactions from TRUIST. So, having the "incorrect" BB&T is somewhat counter-intuitive. In my view, it either works OR it doesn't. Having partial capability (transaction download = yes AND bill pay = NO doesn't seem to make sense).
    >
    > Any final thoughts as to what I might be missing? I'm considering switching banks but I really would prefer NOT to do so (as you can image, there's a great deal of work involved when switching banks).
    >
    > Cheers.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like you have having issues similar to many others.

I checked my "Account Details" and the financial institution is "BB&T - Online Banking" and the "New" button is not grayed out in my Quicken payees screen. As noted in my last post, I also see "Send Online Payment" from the drop down box in the account register.

You can try resetting the account from Account Details / Online Services, but I doubt that will fix the problem. You can also try to set up a new Quicken file with a different name to see if you can set it up with a different file, although someone else tried that and it didn't work. Not sure what else to suggest in terms of things to try if you have the DirectConnect, subscribed on the Truist website and registered your data file and it still is not working.

You can make an appointment with your local branch by going to the Truist website. You might want to try to do that to speak to someone at a local branch and let them try to track down the problem / solution and get back with you. As I posted earlier, my local branch manager told me she helped someone who was using an old version of Quicken that she claimed was the problem in that case. So I guess another thing is just to confirm you are using a current version of Quicken.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    @Rick Staveley -- I hear you. I have a Quicken subscription and -- as you know -- they usually push updates ~twice/month. So, I believe I have the most up-to-date version.

I'll check w/ my local branch but I doubt they'll be of any help. It's worth a try though.

Thanks for the continued assistance. Much obliged.
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @skydivetom to get the send button to show up in my drop down list I had to go to the edit Account Detail/online services tab mentioned above and at the bottom was a section that said “check for Bill Pay” which I did and Activate Bill Pay. Then the Send option appears. But when I send a payment the onestep update gives me a 306 error. I did register a data file - so you’ll need to do that too if you haven’t
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    @gsundel :smile:

Thank you for chiming in... once I reviewed the 38-page document, I realized that I also did NOT have the bill pay activated.

1. Once I activated "Bill Pay", I was able to add a new payee (e.g., myself).
    2. I then issued a $10 test payment to myself.
    3. However, just liked you have experienced, I now get the OL-306-A error. See attached.
    4. The data file (on TRUIST's website) has successfully been registered.

Given that I'm not alone with the 306-A error, does anyone know whether or NOT the problem still resides within the bank OR if it's a setting specific to my account that, e.g., a knowledgeable branch manager may not how to rectify?

Thanks!
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    > @skydivetom said:
    > @Rick Staveley -- I hear you. I have a Quicken subscription and -- as you know -- they usually push updates ~twice/month. So, I believe I have the most up-to-date version.
    >
    > I'll check w/ my local branch but I doubt they'll be of any help. It's worth a try though.
    >
    > Thanks for the continued assistance. Much obliged.

To clarify, I think the local branch can be used to access online banking technical support to avoid hours on hold only to connect with someone who doesn't know anything. I don't think the local branch will have any direct knowledge unless they happened to solve the same problem for someone else by doing the technical support legwork.
This discussion has been closed.