Truist Confirms Quicken Direct Connect Option - but there's a problem

Options

Comments

• kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    @KennyDu On Monday I did notice my Direct Connect changed also. I also still had the 306 error for my test payment.

I think I will try a new Quicken data file registration with a test file and see if I can now register this new data file. Last week all new file registrations failed but that was via BB&T. if I can register the new Quicken data file via Truist Direct connect, I will try a test payment from that new Quicken file to see if 306 is still present.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Switch of DC to Truist may just be a name change for BB&T.
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Anja I see you closed another thread of Direct Connect at Truist now available. Is that expected to resolve this 306 account not authorized error for sending bill payments via Quicken? it doesn't seem to - is this a separate item that Quicken is tracking? how can we get an update on when bill payments from Quicken to Truist will be resolved? or is there something else we should be doing to get bills paid from Quicken bill pay?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @gsundel,

Thank you for reaching out regarding the resolved Alert.

Upon doing some further digging, I found this comment from another user which appears to explain that there are some additional steps that need to be done on Truist's end in order for Direct Connect to work successfully in Quicken. However, I am not sure if this also applies to getting direct connect bill pay to work.

I suggest reviewing the comment and trying what they have instructed or reaching out to Truist directly to find out what needs to be done on their end first in order to successfully connect via Direct Connect and use direct connect bill pay in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• KennyDu
    KennyDu Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Anja said:

> I suggest reviewing the comment and trying what they have instructed or reaching out to Truist directly to find out what needs to be done on their end first in order to successfully connect via Direct Connect and use direct connect bill pay in Quicken.

@Quicken Anja

You will find that there are a lot of people on this thread that have already done all of those things & they are well documented in this thread. The OL-306-A error has persisted all along the way. I've heard no one that has had this problem successfully resolved by either Quicken or Truist. As users of the service of both institutions, it is impossible for us to know where the problem lies. It would be wonderful, as customers of both companies, if we could get some sort of answer as to what the problem is, & some sort of timeline on when it might be fixed.

Being completely in the dark is what I find most frustrating.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @KennyDu Thank you for the additional information.

The error OL-306 is usually caused by one of the following:

• The account has not been successfully authorized by the financial institution.
    • An incorrect account type that does not support automatic account information (that is, you may have selected a savings account type for a checking account).
    • Your account has been closed.

The following steps are recommended to resolve this issue:

However, if you continue to experience an issue, you will need to contact your financial institution to resolve this issue. "OL" errors are Direct Connect errors. Direct Connect is a connection method that uses the bank server in order to connect which we, unfortunately, do not have access to. If they state they cannot assist, then an escalation with the financial institution may be necessary. 

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hey, last night I tried to submit a payment and for the first time I didn't get a 306 error. My register says "sent" (I thought it usually put a check number). I tried a payment to myself and it says sent too (so we'll see if it arrives next week). I got an email from Truist that says my first bill payment was received - anyone else ever get that. I also got a Truist email that said I have a secured mail message waiting for me - log in and see it in the messaging center. Well, i can tell you i couldn't find a messaging center, but I did under Help find the "inbox" which had messages for me (not very intuitive). It had the same exact message I'd gotten "unsecured" in my email box :smile:

So maybe some progress. Maybe @Quicken Anja gave Truist the evil eye in the background and they made something work when she said it was their problem (of which i'd spent hours a month ago and Truist was saying it was a Quicken problem). :wink:

Working for anyone else?
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @gsundel said:
    > Hey, last night I tried to submit a payment and for the first time I didn't get a 306 error. My register says "sent" (I thought it usually put a check number). I tried a payment to myself and it says sent too (so we'll see if it arrives next week). I got an email from Truist that says my first bill payment was received - anyone else ever get that. I also got a Truist email that said I have a secured mail message waiting for me - log in and see it in the messaging center. Well, i can tell you i couldn't find a messaging center, but I did under Help find the "inbox" which had messages for me (not very intuitive). It had the same exact message I'd gotten "unsecured" in my email box :smile:
    >
    > So maybe some progress. Maybe @Quicken Anja gave Truist the evil eye in the background and they made something work when she said it was their problem (of which i'd spent hours a month ago and Truist was saying it was a Quicken problem). :wink:
    >
    > Working for anyone else?

That is the way it worked for me too when it was working - just noted as “Sent” in register and no check number. I believe the handful of payments I sent that way all made it. I never received an email about bill payment. But then it stopped working and I started getting the 306 error. Coincidentally I tried it last night and was still getting the 306 error.

I have opened new accounts with Wells Fargo but still interested in how this plays out at Truist. It will be a while before I can close the Truist accounts.
  • AAR
    AAR Member ✭✭
    Options
    It has been working for me, same experience, got an email when made first payment. Thanks for the tip where to find the secure email messages. For me also, Truist Bank Bill Pay is not generating a check number, irrespective of whether the bank pays the vendor via EFT or a paper check is generated (which does have a check number on it.) The check number field in Quicken for Truist Bank Bill payments is not editable. As others have noted, the vendors that are paid via EFT post two business days earlier than the payment date. Sent a credit card payment for March 21st, payment showed pending on the 17th. Payments that generate paper checks don't post until the vendor deposits. The other item that is different is when I set a payment date too few days in the future, generates an error message and I have to start the payment over, no opportunity to adjust the date. That has been my experience so far. Cautiously optimistic it keeps working.
  • AAR
    AAR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @RickStaveley My in-laws use Wells Fargo DC with Bank bill pay, works just like Suntrust DC did, and they dropped the monthly fee last June.
  • thompson87
    thompson87 Member ✭✭
    Options
    One thing I'm not seeing in this thread is whether Truist is honoring the commitment to provide Direct Connect for free to customers who had that prior to the merger. One of the perks I was getting from maintaining a high balance at Suntrust was free Quicken services. And the summary of changes I got said that I would continue to get free Quicken services. It did not specifically mention Direct Connect, however. Can anyone comment on this? I'm tired of waiting on hold, and the one time I got through to speak to someone he told me that there were no waivers of the fees and never had been. That person clearly did not know what he was talking about.
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    Options
    @thompson87 i had the Suntrust AMA account and got the free bill pay too. My local bank was so busy when I went in that branch manager said she thought they were committed to making no increase in fees for this account (So not sure). But she said To click the pay for it button and we’d sort out the credit later. I also will say that the Truist flyer has an asterisk on quicken fee that says Asset Managment Account has not fee. So I’m expecting not fee (but might have to go into the branch to sort it out - we’ll see).
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @AAR said:
    > @RickStaveley My in-laws use Wells Fargo DC with Bank bill pay, works just like Suntrust DC did, and they dropped the monthly fee last June.

Yep. I have it up and running and it was very easy to set up and fee-free.
  • titanrx
    titanrx Member ✭✭
    Options
    My solution was to open an account at PNC. Direct Connect was easy to set up, just had to wait for the credentials to arrive in the US mail. There is no fee at PNC for the Direct Connect with payments. And, just like SunTrust, the register updates with a PNC-issued check number after it is sent.

The final straw for Truist was that even an EFT to CitiCard that I entered onto the Truist web payments page and had a Confirmation Receipt Number with pay by date and it was paid late.
  • KennyDu
    KennyDu Member ✭✭
    Options
    > 03/16/22 - @KennyDu said:
    > Hmmm... according to another Quicken thread, we can now sign up for Direct Connect via Truist Online Banking instead of using BB&T. If anybody makes this work, let us know!! I can't try it till I am back in town next week.
    >
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909138/resolved-3-16-22-truist-bank-missing-direct-connect-option#latest

Greetings Quicken Friends...first, thanks to this thread for helping solve issues and provide information while both Truist and Quicken failed to provide anything meaningful.

As I noted earlier, I am back at home now and have tried the Direct Connect setup. To recap for those that don't want to review all six pages of this thread...

1) I was a SunTrust customer using Quicken and Direct Connect with zero issues for more than 20 years
    2) I was caught up in the Truist conversion in February
    3) All payments created in Quicken before the conversion date, but that were scheduled to pay AFTER the conversion date, never paid. Thanks to this thread, I was able to rectify it manually and never missed a deadline.
    4) I followed the painstaking process in the large pdf from Truist and never could get anything to work right.
    5) I found a post in another thread that gave GREAT details on how to do this correctly, and I reposted it here. It worked for me perfectly...you'll need to find it if you are still trying to get set up.
    6) Everything set up correctly and looked good, but when I tried to make payments, I received an OL-306-A error each time, and no payments were processed.
    7) On 3/16, there was a supposed fix.

In the last two days, I have made 5 payments directly from Quicken through Direct Connect. They are a mix of electronic and payments that will require a physical check. All were processed through Quicken normally and are marked with the lightning bolt and 'SENT'. They should all pay the first week in April, and I will report back only if there are problems. Otherwise, I consider this case finally closed.

Later, I will deal with the 7.95 fee argument as I did get charged recently. Yes, I did get the weird messages others got when I created a payment.

Thanks again to the thread.

KennyDu
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    @kennydu Things are still broke for me. I was getting the 306 error before with any payments and are still getting the same error.

In addition, I tried to use a new blank Quicken file with a single checking account and set it via the Truist Online banking institution drop down. Now, It says I have the wrong ID or password even though I am concurrently logged into my Truist account to register this data file. Ever since they changed the name automatically from BB&T OL to Truist OL, I have not been able to supply the correct ID / PW.

Prior to the name change, I always received the 306 error but now my quicken data files do not do updates at all.

I was hoping that other members could mention if they are NOW operational or NOT with the bank latest attempt to unscrew this situation!
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @KennyDu even if those payments show up next week, that doesn't necessarily mean sending payments through Quicken will continue to work (although I hope it does for you). I was able to send several payments successfully and then it just stopped working. I now get the OL-306 error when trying to process payments in Quicken and cancelled DirectConnect today to avoid fees going forward. As far as I know all my previous payments scheduled as part of SunTrust were cancelled (same as you), but those processed post-Truist / BB&T have made it. However, I stopped being able to send any more at some point.
  • Pat5
    Pat5 Member
    Options
    It’s all working for me now.
  • Hedgewick
    Hedgewick Member ✭✭
    Options
    Today, March 23, TRUIST removed most of my online bill pay recipients. The alert claimed "I" removed them, but I didn't. This, after finally correcting the Direct Connect issue! Is there no end to TRUIST ineptitude?
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Hedgewick said:
    > Today, March 23, TRUIST removed most of my online bill pay recipients. The alert claimed "I" removed them, but I didn't. This, after finally correcting the Direct Connect issue! Is there no end to TRUIST ineptitude?

No such limit, unfortunately.
  • dapad
    dapad Member
    Options
    For what is worth I was finally able to download transactions and send a payment file via direct connect today. Now, let's see if the payment is actually sent to my payee. I gave it a 2 week lead time in the event it doesn't go through, I'll write an old fashion check and send in the mail
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    @dapad You mentioned that you finally was able to send a payment today.

Have you done anything different to allow this to work?

Were you getting the OL-306 error code prior to today?

Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, not being able to make payments!
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Options
    To those who are having success with Truist DC bill pay: Is a check number being automatically entered into your Quicken register for each bill payment?
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @REJones said:
    > To those who are having success with Truist DC bill pay: Is a check number being automatically entered into your Quicken register for each bill payment?

When it worked for me, there were no check numbers added to the register when I sent the payment like there was with SunTrust. The check number just notes "Sent" and it stayed that way after the check is cashed and reconciled. But there is a check number if you look at the actual paper check or image online. It just isn't noted in Quicken.
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Options
    FWIW: With PNC's DC bill pay, when I send a new bill payment via Quicken DC, PNC responds with a new register entry of the bill payment details, which includes a new sequential check number, lightning bolt, and "Sent" entries. When that bill payment has cleared, a new One Step Update changes that bill payment's register entry to show a "c" for cleared, and the "Sent" entry is removed. I also like that the register's pending bill payments have already been applied to my account balance versus waiting til after the payment has been "cleared."
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @REJones said:
    > FWIW: With PNC's DC bill pay, when I send a new bill payment via Quicken DC, PNC responds with a new register entry of the bill payment details, which includes a new sequential check number, lightning bolt, and "Sent" entries. When that bill payment has cleared, a new One Step Update changes that bill payment's register entry to show a "c" for cleared, and the "Sent" entry is removed. I also like that the register's pending bill payments have already been applied to my account balance versus waiting til after the payment has been "cleared."

Same for me with Wells Fargo.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Wow... it looks like TRUIST will finally process my scheduled payment. I'll recap below.

First though, I feel like I'm now between a rock and a hard place. Why?
    1. Folks who posted info in this forum have all experienced a great level of frustration with TRUIST (right after the migration).
    2. Given the multiple references that it may take until summer 2022 before DirectConnect will work again, I opened up another account with a local credit union.
    3. Per 2., I was also not able to get Quicken to work with the new credit union (even though they advertised it).
    4. I then opened an account with PNC about 2 weeks ago (end of 1st week in March).
    5. Per 5., it took a little bit to get all the necessary information with PNC (incl. the "Quicken PIN").
    6. That is, I received my Quicken PIN (from PNC) yesterday (03/24). Setting DirectConnect (in Quicken) with PNC took literally less than 5 minutes.

- And now, a day later (03/25), something "told" me to check this Quicken.com blog just to see that some of us apparently were now successful to issue bill payments via Quicken.
    - So, I tried it this morning... and voila, it looks like TRUIST bill pay is indeed working now.
    - In fact, I received 2 emails from TRUIST indicating that a) a payee has been added and b) a payment has been scheduled for 1 April.

I guess that's Murphy's Law again. This whole process did NOT work for nearly 5 weeks, and now I have 2 banks (TRUIST and PNC) that allow me to issue bill payments via Quicken.

So, why "rock and a hard place"??? I'm on the fence whether or not I should now give up TRUIST given PNC's much superior customer service. I'll check w/ my employer to see how easy/difficult it is to switch my paycheck deposit.

Sorry, didn't mean to be "soapy" here, but this TRUIST migration has been really using up my time AND negative impact my credit score (both new banks -- 1st Advantage FCU & PNC issued me credit/debit cards but had to run a hard credit check).

Urgh!
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    @skydivetom I have asked others this same question but no one has provided any details.

You stated that send payments appear to now work with Truist.
    My question centers around if you made any changes to your connection with Truist or not to get the bill payment to start working?

Did you setup using BB&T Online and now it works without you make any changes?

I know that the financial institution somehow changed it's name to Truist automatically for me, but Bill pay still does not work for me. So, I was wondering if you changed your Quicken data file with a deactivate and reactivate or did that data file just start working?

It appears to me that my credentials can not setup a new Quicken file with Truist or BB&T, so I was wondering what I am doing wrong!
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm waiting for my test check to arrive - due today - will report back.

@kapinossa - unclear if the steps i took "made" it work or if it would have worked without these, but FYI
    I deactivated the account that had changed from BB&T Online to Truist Online banking automagically.
    Cleared out the bank name and account
    readded the account selecting the Truist online banking
    then had to activate the bank billpay in the quicken screen (account details > Online services tab (this is what allowed the SEND option to appear in the register drop down).

I did NOT reregister my data file with quicken (but I supposed you have to have one registered.

Seems to work from there - ie, got past the 306 error and I did get a 2 emails from Truist about my account bill pay had been initiated. Waiting to see if the test $1 check arrives.
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    @gsundel Thanks so much for this perfect explanation.

For me, my credentials now don't 't work even though I can look into my web Truist page and status my accounts.

It helps knowing what you have done and it is much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.