Truist Confirms Quicken Direct Connect Option - but there's a problem

Options

Comments

• skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Rick Staveley -- copy all.

Just to clarify... did you receive the OL-306-A error at some point but were able to fix it so that you scheduled payments are now going out?
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @skydivetom said:
    > @Rick Staveley -- copy all.
    >
    > Just to clarify... did you receive the OL-306-A error at some point but were able to fix it so that you scheduled payments are now going out?

No it worked right away with no errors.

I have some other payments scheduled to be delivered to family today. I'll post back today or tomorrow to confirm whether they make it.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Rick Staveley -- thank you. Appreciate the very quick response.

On hold for Digital Support Team (wait time is SUPPOSED to be between 10-15 minutes vs. previously 60 min). Well, we'll see about that in the next few minutes here. :)
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here is what my local branch told me when inquiring about whether (a) payments scheduled while using SunTrust DirectConnect before the Truist conversion will actually be made and (b) payments scheduled after the conversion to BB&T DirectConnect would be made (two test payments of which have already been confirmed as received since I sent them to my house!):

"I am being told if you have the payments set up as recurring the will be mailed out. If not you have to go to Truist.com and use the bill payment system. You will have to add all of the individual’s or businesses you want to pay as a biller. They are working on Quicken . I was told the bill payments will not be available until this summer. The alternative is to use Truist.com bill payment. I apologize for the inconvenience."

I provided a list of check numbers per their request and got back this generic makes-no-sense answer that does not even address pre-conversion scheduled payments vs. post-conversion scheduled payments. And I am one of the "lucky" people who seems to be able to actually process payments.

They put out a guide to set up DirectConnect and are accepting subscriptions that cost money (for what I don't know if they think they can't process payments). They don't even know what payments they are capable of processing. I am convinced they have no idea what they are doing or talking about at Truist.
  • JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    You *must* use BBT-Online.  You will see it when you start entering the FI name and enter BBT. It was in the screenshots they sent in the transition instructions. Not BBT or Suntrust and definitely not Truist.  When you pick the correct FI, there is a button that allows you to pick the various forms of connections.  Truist has no button since it only supports Web Connect Express.
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    Concur with Rick.

Today I was going to try a fix for my bill pay error 306. This is only my attempt to work around the lack of bill pay with my Direct Connect via BB&T Online service. This is just a shot in the dark since no one seems to be doing anything.

Well today is a new day and I can not Direct Connect with BB&T to connect and register a new Quicken data file. Of course web connect works but I can not use a new Quicken data file to gain access via Direct Connect / BB&T Online like I have already done the last three weeks.

Not sure what is going on at Truist but someone needs to kick them in the ....

They are about a messed up organization I have ever dealt with and I should cut my loses and move on! This is on me now!
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Rick Staveley -- thank you for this valuable update.

I too spoke with someone from Digital Support. When starting the conversation, I told them I needed to speak with someone who a) pays attention to detail and b) has an understanding of Quicken.

I believe I got lucky and ended up speaking w/ such person. Once I explained the whole dilemma, he indicated they are fully aware of this issue BUT there is no estimated day/time whatsoever available which would make me feel comfortable waiting it out a little longer.

I have now opened up my accounts with 1st Advantage FCU and will slowly migrate my finances over to the new bank. Naturally, testing "Bill Pay" will be one of the first activities before I completely pull the plug with TRUIST.
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have now successfully set up several bill payments, including online recurring bill payments, with PNC Bank, and it all works smoothly; just like it did with SunTrust. Later this week, I will shutdown my Truist acct and the new acct I opened with Community CU of FL. There may be other financial institutions out there that will work OK for you, but I can highly recommend PNC.
  • titanrx
    titanrx Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @REJones said:
    > I have now successfully set up several bill payments, including online recurring bill payments, with PNC Bank, and it all works smoothly; just like it did with SunTrust. Later this week, I will shutdown my Truist acct and the new acct I opened with Community CU of FL. There may be other financial institutions out there that will work OK for you, but I can highly recommend PNC.

Same here. The paper check arrived right on time and so did the ACH to the power company. Works right through the check register, just like Quicken/SunTrust did for so many years. Since it's proven that it works, I transferred my direct deposits over to PNC and once that completes (May 11th, thanks Social Security Administration ;) all the others effective immediately) closing out the Truist accounts.

And, no monthly fee for Quicken Payments. :)
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    > @Rick Staveley said:
    > Here is what my local branch told me when inquiring about whether (a) payments scheduled while using SunTrust DirectConnect before the Truist conversion will actually be made and (b) payments scheduled after the conversion to BB&T DirectConnect would be made (two test payments of which have already been confirmed as received since I sent them to my house!):
    >
    > "I am being told if you have the payments set up as recurring the will be mailed out. If not you have to go to Truist.com and use the bill payment system. You will have to add all of the individual’s or businesses you want to pay as a biller. They are working on Quicken . I was told the bill payments will not be available until this summer. The alternative is to use Truist.com bill payment. I apologize for the inconvenience."
    >
    > I provided a list of check numbers per their request and got back this generic makes-no-sense answer that does not even address pre-conversion scheduled payments vs. post-conversion scheduled payments. And I am one of the "lucky" people who seems to be able to actually process payments.
    >
    > They put out a guide to set up DirectConnect and are accepting subscriptions that cost money (for what I don't know if they think they can't process payments). They don't even know what payments they are capable of processing. I am convinced they have no idea what they are doing or talking about at Truist.

I can confirm two recipients in different cities / states received checks today that I processed through Quicken via BB&T-Online DirectConnect. So apparently it works for me even though it isn't for others and Truist doesn't apparently know it is working. I am still bothered by them saying it won't work because for all I know it will stop working without notice and they will just tell me "I told you so" when it happens.

Still no word on what happened to the pre-conversion payments processed via SunTrust DirectConnect but with each passing days it becomes more apparent they did not make those payments. But I want to push them until they actually tell me that's what they did.
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    While I did have success with the Truist conversion guide: https://www.truist.com/content/dam/truist/us/en/documents/internal/olb/QRG-OLB-DirectConnectReenroll.pdf what I'm finding now is:
    1. I had several SunTrust BankBillPay payments (Sent via Quicken) that were issued, but never made it to the biller.
    2. DO NOT create an email in Quicken about your payments - as soon as I did that - it resulted in a BB&T directconnect error recovery state that I'm stuck in.
    3. Not sure if it's an outage now, but this "error recovery" state in Quicken isn't fixed yet, despite the "refresh rebranding" option from the Online Center.
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Roger Snook I have read your post several times this morning and I am confused about what you are telling us not to do!

Are these missing payments requested before the transition under Suntrust or after by Truist?

I am not familiar with using email in Quicken or did not know it existed.

I could not get Direct Connect to work yesterday and I was wondering if yesterday was a banking issue day or some new issues?

Sorry but I am confused about your warning and maybe you could add some more details to help someone like me to understand.
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @kapinossa - in Quicken's Online Center, when you select BB&T, there are four tabs below and one is "Email". You can create an email in that form with the intent that the bank will reply with a status or information about your payment you issued. For many years now - I've not known the FI to reply. But in this example, I created four payment emails and then (and maybe it is coincidental to the outage), but my Quicken-BB&T went into an "error recovery" state and I can no longer get any downloads via DirectConnect.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    Options
    Good morning -- I have previously posted a number of questions WRT to the SunTrust to TRUIST migration.

Based on what I have learned from the Digital Support Team PLUS what's been stated here by many other former SunTrust customer, I went ahead and opened up new accounts with "1st Advantage Federal Credit Union".

First, allow me to re-iterate that I'm fully aware this is a "TRUIST thread/post". So, by no means am I trying to change subject here. However, as it may be related, I would like to post one or two follow-up questions.

Some background first:
    - I contacted Intuit... they verified that 1st Advantage FCU does use Quicken (and "Direct Connect").
    - Based on that I opened up accounts w/ the FCU.
    - I then went through the "Online Service" configuration, where the default method is "Express Web Connect".
    - I was able to successfully download transaction. So far so good.
    - Next step was to change the connection method from "Express Web Connect" to "Direct Connect". This is what's NOT working with TRUIST.
    - Anyhow, once I switched the connection method (for my new 1st Advantage FCU accounts), I get errors. Specifically, I get "OL-393-A".
    - So, at this time, neither bank -- TRUIST nor 1st Advantage FCU -- allows me to use "Direct Connect".

I'm already pretty much done reviewing/discussing TRUIST, but I'm hopeful that I can get the DirectConnect to work w/ the new bank/FCU. Otherwise, the point of setting up new accounts was a moot point.

My question:
    I have contacted the FCU and inquired about tech support. The FCU is a small bank and tech support isn't readily available.

Thus, my question: Does anyone know how to address the OL-393-A error? It says "... temporary outage..." I don't think that's the case.

Seems like I'm stepping from one pile of "s h _ t" into the next. Sorry for the language... I'm just very frustrated that something that worked for 20+ years is no longer working in 2021.

1st Advantage FCU (Quicken info)
    https://www.1stadvantage.org/products/online-mobile/1a-online-banking
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    So after "successfully" setting up DirectConnect with BB&T-Online per my earlier posts and sending no less than five successfully confirmed payments through Quicken with the new set up, I am now getting the OL-306A error others have gotten all along. It seems like contacting my local branch alerted Truist to something that was working, so they just had to break it.

Clearly, the time has come to move on to Chase or another bank.
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    Options
    @roger snook - don't know if you tried to delete those emails or if one step update gives you a check mark you can remove (which it does for checks) - Quicken continuing to try to send them might be keeping you in the error recovery state. Also if you did the UPDATE from within the Register for the one institution, that might clear it?
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried deleting but the current "error recovery" state prevented this from succeeding. So I ended up DEACTIVATING and REACTIVATING - however, the still "error recovery" state just has me blocked.
  • kapinossa
    kapinossa Member ✭✭
    Options
    I finally understand and thanks for Roger's clarification.

In my opinion only, Truist is now blocking activity with BB&T Direct Connect. I am only hoping that is in response to get a final solution for a fix.

This really is messed up and the bank should be embarrassed on the duration of this issue. Maybe PNC is now in my future!
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    > @skydivetom said:
    >" ...- Next step was to change the connection method from "Express Web Connect" to "Direct Connect". This is what's NOT working with TRUIST.... and apparently, it's not working with 1st Advantage either.
    > - Anyhow, once I switched the connection method (for my new 1st Advantage FCU accounts), I get errors. Specifically, I get "OL-393-A".
    > - So, at this time, neither bank -- TRUIST nor 1st Advantage FCU -- allows me to use "Direct Connect"..."

FWIW: In searching for an alternative to Truist, I opened an acct with Community CU of FL, who claimed to offer Direct Connect with Bill Pay. However, while Express Web Connect worked with CCU-F, I was unable to access DC. The CU's tech person needed to set up a distinct password for accessing DC. After doing that, DC worked, but bill pay has never worked! When I tried to send an online payment thru Quicken DC to the CU, it failed with the OL-393-A error code. The CU's tech support shop could offer no explanation nor solution, and suggested I call Quicken! Next week I will close this CU acct. Earlier today, I closed my 23-yr acct with SunTrust/Truist.
    PNC works fine - just like SunTrust did; no more headaches and stress.
  • skydivetom
    skydivetom Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @REJones -- thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Looks like we can't win for losing. I am still amazed that SunTrust was able to provide the DC service in the early 2000s... and 2 decades later, many customers having all of these issues across a variety of financial institutions.

I actually had looked into PNC; however, they have an extremely small foot print (i.e., actual branches) here in south-east VA. Yes, they have a gazillion of ATMs (Wawa, etc.), but that won't do me any good.

Looks like I have to keep on pressing the DC with either one of the 2 banks. It's extremely inconvenient but transitioning my finances to a bank that has only one (1) branch within ~10 miles isn't an option either.
  • titanrx
    titanrx Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @skydivetom said:

>
    > Based on what I have learned from the Digital Support Team PLUS what's been stated here by many other former SunTrust customer, I went ahead and opened up new accounts with "1st Advantage Federal Credit Union".
    >

>
    In another thread, I provided a link to a spreadsheet which I created from the Quicken fidir.txt file. The second sheet is sorted and presents only banks which claim BOTH Direct Connect and Payment. There are many banks that offer Direct Connect but only for Bill Manager (like Truist :/ ).

Look here at the second sheet for a financial institution which has BOTH capabilities and then contact your local branch to verify.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cvO5sj7AExnzVGGqIR-PjT45pMfj7cNC/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=113995930339304363477&rtpof=true&sd=true

In my case, I called both the 800 number and walked into a nearby branch where they were both very knowledgeable about supporting the Payment capability in Quicken. In fact, the PNC 800 customer support rep transferred me immediately to Online support and they sent me step-by-step guidance on the process.

PS, I don't believe that there are any Credit Unions which support both Direct Connect and Payment.
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Options
    @titanrx -- Thanks for taking the effort to create and provide this data.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Rick Staveley said:
    > So after "successfully" setting up DirectConnect with BB&T-Online per my earlier posts and sending no less than five successfully confirmed payments through Quicken with the new set up, I am now getting the OL-306A error others have gotten all along. It seems like contacting my local branch alerted Truist to something that was working, so they just had to break it.
    >
    > Clearly, the time has come to move on to Chase or another bank.

Not being able to tell me what happened to pre-conversion checks is ridiculous. Turning off DirectConnect I actually had working is intolerable. Sitting at Wells Fargo opening new accounts. Bye Truist. I’ll go through the pain to update clients with new bank info to get away from a back apparently managed by incompetents.
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @""Rick Staveley"
    Truist left many of us high and dry, and scrambling to find the right replacement to SunTrust/BB&T. Hope all goes great for you at WF.
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @REJones said:
    > > @""Rick Staveley"
    > Truist left many of us high and dry, and scrambling to find the right replacement to SunTrust/BB&T. Hope all goes great for you at WF.
    >
    >
    >
    >

Thank you. I spent about 90 minutes at the bank getting accounts set up and need to go back tomorrow for my wife to be added to the accounts. Then I spent about an hour establishing external account links for transfers and about 10 minutes setting up the accounts in Quicken with DirectConnect (no mention of a fee so we'll see). Already sent some test payments, so fingers crossed all goes well.
  • KennyDu
    KennyDu Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm... according to another Quicken thread, we can now sign up for Direct Connect via Truist Online Banking instead of using BB&T. If anybody makes this work, let us know!! I can't try it till I am back in town next week.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909138/resolved-3-16-22-truist-bank-missing-direct-connect-option#latest
  • HelpMeQkn
    HelpMeQkn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Although having a Truist Direct Connect option from the start was a major omission, several users have published a successful workaround - using BBT as the financial institution. The bigger issue is that most of us CANNOT SEND BILL PAYENTS FROM WITHIN QUICKEN. It generates a 306 error and this is not being addressed. Will someone please acknowledge that Quicken/Truist engineers are working on this????
  • Rick Staveley
    Rick Staveley Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    > @HelpMeQkn said:
    > Although having a Truist Direct Connect option from the start was a major omission, several users have published a successful workaround - using BBT as the financial institution. The bigger issue is that most of us CANNOT SEND BILL PAYENTS FROM WITHIN QUICKEN. It generates a 306 error and this is not being addressed. Will someone please acknowledge that Quicken/Truist engineers are working on this????

I had Bill pay from Quicken working for a while… until it stopped working. Per an earlier post my local branch manger said they know about Quicken issues and are working on them but bill pay from Quicken won’t work until “summer” (even though I already had it working).
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    Options
    @KennyDu i noticed yesterday that my connection changed from BB&T online to Truist Online Banking - so something did change. I still got the 306 error. I even deactivated and deactivated (and chose direct connect). Still got the 306 error. So it does allow direct connect - but still no bill payments. Let me know if anyone sees anything different
This discussion has been closed.