Quicken demands an upgrade when I try to add a description in my HSA account

Steve Naz
Steve Naz Member ✭✭
The Health Spending Account is an investment account through Fidelity. Every register entry is subject to IRS rules for allowable purchases, so I usually want to add a word or two describing the expenditure. But Quicken disallows this and seems to think I must buy an upgrade to comment or add a memo or a category to a downloaded investment transaction. Am I missing something?

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Steve Naz,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing difficulties.

I took the liberty of reviewing your account with us and found that you are subscribed to the Starter subscription. Unfortunately, the Starter does not support investments. For investment support, you will need a Deluxe or higher subscription. 

Please refer to our Product Selector page to review the features that are included in each subscription.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Did you have Deluxe or Premier or Home & Business before Starter?  If so, when you switched to Starter the investment account functionality should have turned off.  So maybe the switch flipping it off did not entirely engage.  I've seen things like that happen sometimes with people who allow their subscriptions to expire but are still able to run OSU for weeks or months afterward.  But at some point it all catches up and that functionality does eventually get turned off.
    But even if you did not previously have Deluxe or higher, you should not be having any investment accounts functionality with Starter.  If I were in your shoes I would count my blessings that I have some functionality and keep my fingers crossed that someday those investment accounts won't suddenly disappear.  That is the likely outcome at some point.  (The data won't get deleted but you just won't be able to see it anymore.)
    One thing just came to mind:  Are these investment accounts held at a brokerage or are they accounts held at a bank?  Some bank accounts (like for bank CDs, Money Market accounts and, yes, even HSA accounts) are often referred to as investment accounts but those bank accounts usually are set up in Quicken as Savings or Spending accounts, not Investment accounts.  Starter should be working with these types of accounts.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Steve Naz,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing difficulties.

I took the liberty of reviewing your account with us and found that you are subscribed to the Starter subscription. Unfortunately, the Starter does not support investments. For investment support, you will need a Deluxe or higher subscription. 

Please refer to our Product Selector page to review the features that are included in each subscription.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what release and edition (Starter, Deluxe, etc) of Quicken you are running.

Is your subscription current?

What message do you get when you try to edit the transactions?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Steve Naz
    Steve Naz Member ✭✭
    I wouldn't say the Starter Edition does not support investments, as I have seven investment accounts that update all of the time. However, if I try to edit a description, comment or memo in the Health account I see "This action requires Quicken Premier or above. You are currently using Quicken Starter. Please upgrade to perform this action." No calculations or processing is involved, so I cannot understand why there would be an issue with this.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Did you have Deluxe or Premier or Home & Business before Starter?  If so, when you switched to Starter the investment account functionality should have turned off.  So maybe the switch flipping it off did not entirely engage.  I've seen things like that happen sometimes with people who allow their subscriptions to expire but are still able to run OSU for weeks or months afterward.  But at some point it all catches up and that functionality does eventually get turned off.
    But even if you did not previously have Deluxe or higher, you should not be having any investment accounts functionality with Starter.  If I were in your shoes I would count my blessings that I have some functionality and keep my fingers crossed that someday those investment accounts won't suddenly disappear.  That is the likely outcome at some point.  (The data won't get deleted but you just won't be able to see it anymore.)
    One thing just came to mind:  Are these investment accounts held at a brokerage or are they accounts held at a bank?  Some bank accounts (like for bank CDs, Money Market accounts and, yes, even HSA accounts) are often referred to as investment accounts but those bank accounts usually are set up in Quicken as Savings or Spending accounts, not Investment accounts.  Starter should be working with these types of accounts.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Steve Naz
    Steve Naz Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac nailed it. Yes, I always used Deluxe until last year, so it seems that the investment functions (all held at a brokerage firm) accidentally carried over. I have no further complaints! I've been using Quicken ever since the entire program fit nicely on a single 1.44MB floppy disk.
This discussion has been closed.