R41.19 Release Notes - Preparing for Chase Bank Bill Payment changes

124»

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock said:
    Quicken Bill Pay was a bill payment service provided by Metavante Payment Services.

Thanks Sherlock, I'm terrible at remembering names.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:

Enough arguing. Things are broken. i would like to get them fixed.

The new functionality described in the Quicken Support documentation may not work yet: https://www.quicken.com/support/chase-bills-no-longer-available-bill-manager

If the new functionality doesn't work, you will need to wait.  I suspect you may need to wait until after Intuit switches Chase over to the new Express Web Connect+ connection method planned for sometime in September.

In the meantime, I suggest you obtain the Amazon card bill directly from Chase and continue to use the Direct Connect connection method for the Amazon credit card account as long as it works reliably enough.  Then, maintain the register offline until you think the new Express Web Connect+ connection method is working reliably enough. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Sherlock said:
    Quicken Bill Pay was a bill payment service provided by Metavante Payment Services.

Thanks Sherlock, I'm terrible at remembering names.
    I suspect the online bill aggregation service provider is BillGO.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    All this is understood and aside from my questions and issues,

To focus a little, there is NO reason I should not be able to change connection type for Chase form Direct to EWC now. Except that something is broken.

There is NO reason I should not be able to add a Chase account to my TEST file except that something si broken. And I have shown exactly what is broken and where. FORGET Online Billers for a moment. Agreed they may not work today. Forget it. But Quicken needs to know one cannot add a Chase account iwh tANY connection right now and I am sure that was not planned.

So thanks, truly, for all the suggestions. But, I need suggestions on changing or adding a Chase account before anything else can be determined to be working or broken. Not how to monitor my bill amounts and pay them. But appreciate the thoughts.

And at least I got rid of the "Needs Attention" and the Online Billers that were not and will not work again the way they were.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well Bob, maybe another thread talking about the exact problems you have getting Direct Connect working would be the right way to go so the answers are just about that.

It is an unfortunate fact that some of the suggestions on what to do for a given problem can lead you down a path that makes everything more difficult and, in some cases, even lead to a point where you can't recover.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Bob. said:
    All this is understood and aside from my questions and issues,

To focus a little, there is NO reason I should not be able to change connection type for Chase form Direct to EWC now. Except that something is broken.

There is NO reason I should not be able to add a Chase account to my TEST file except that something si broken. And I have shown exactly what is broken and where. FORGET Online Billers for a moment. Agreed they may not work today. Forget it. But Quicken needs to know one cannot add a Chase account iwh tANY connection right now and I am sure that was not planned.

So thanks, truly, for all the suggestions. But, I need suggestions on changing or adding a Chase account before anything else can be determined to be working or broken. Not how to monitor my bill amounts and pay them. But appreciate the thoughts.

And at least I got rid of the "Needs Attention" and the Online Billers that were not and will not work again the way they were.
    Correct.  The Express Web Connect connection method with Chase is broken.  You may report the issue to Quicken Support and they may bring it to Intuit's Express Web Connect script writing team's attention, but it is not likely Intuit will put any of their resources toward addressing the issue.

We have repeatedly provided you with a suggestion for how to handle changing or adding a Chase account:

Continue to use the Direct Connect connection method for the Chase account as long as it is not broken.  Then, maintain the register offline until the new Express Web Connect+ connection method is not broken

Good luck.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    We have repeatedly provided you with a suggestion for how to handle changing or adding a Chase account:
    No, you have repeated tried to teach me how to stay where I am which I am quite capable of.

I come here for several reasons:
    1.     To find out if others are having the same issue and rule out it is not just me
    2.     To see if I read incorrectly and did not follow the actual instructions
    3.     To alert that the process laid out by Quicken is inaccurate and incomplete and does not work
    4.     To help other users like the fellow that posted today in another thread about not being able to delete an Online Biller. And yes, that is now broken as well and used to work
    5.     And to alert other users of the issues I have so when they Google their problem, they can find out it is already being discussed.
    6.     And hopefully, interact with @Quicken_Someone to help us all.
    Little of that happened in this thread which was diverted into odd corners.
    The fact is that Deleting Online Billers is broken
    Changing connection for any Chase account is broken
    Adding any new Chase account is broken.
    I have reported it to the programmers in India. They may stop talking to me after reading this thread. I hope not as we have had a mutual relationship of helping each other solve problems in Quicken.
    But I am done with this for now.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    An interesting morning:
    I checked Quicken first thing as always. Today there was a new alert:
    I kinda laughed, then said, let try to add to my TEST file. And I did.
    My Chase accounts were installed almost like things used to be. None of the Web foolishness that was not working. Balances correct even though only maybe a month or two of transactions downloaded. And the connection is EWC

So then I added the online billers. Went perefectly.
    So something changed overnight.

I have NOT yet tried to change my Chase accounts connection method in my LIVE Quicken file, but will backup and do so. With luck this has been sorted. Will let you know.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

There are a few oddities such as this dialog in online services in my TEST file:

Here it leads to updating to Direct Connect. Its an inappropriate and bad dialog for these changes.

And I wish this defaulted to ENTER:

And it is 90 days of downloads.
    Back after trying to get things working in the Live file.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I also just got an email from Chase titled: Action Required for Quicken or QuickBooks users
    Will go read. Something changed for the better though it seems.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    OK, the Chase was an authorization and authentication to use Quicken. Made no changes.
    I went to my LIVE file. Tried to change connection method but the same web pages and failures.
    Restored from backup.
    Tried to deactivate and setup now. Worked and linked to existing account, but STILL  Direct Connect.
    I think the trick will be to deactivate, then add as new and link to existing. Last thing to try and see, Since the TEST file allowed adding new EWC, this might work. And if it does, its stil a cluster with so many things not right. But will see,
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Alas, same trying to add to this file. Goes through the web pages and failure. Confused why setting up as new in the TEST file works, yet deactiviating and adding new does not in the LIVE file.
    The ONLY thing I have not tried is deactivating, closing Quicken. Reopening and adding being sure to link to existing.  Maybe later.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    No good. Deactivating, closing, opening and adding goes back to the Web pages rather than the usual adding account dialog I had in my TEST file.
    I clicked on the Alert message and it brought me to something new. A "Setup Now" dialog at the bottom of a deactivated Chase register. Clicking there and entering credentials froze Quicken again. So time to wait for something else to happen.
    Again, have to wonder why it works if a file has no Chase accounts and fails if I do, even if deactivated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bob. The way I view all of this "interesting if one's goal just so see what kinds of strange things they can find".

In other words, you see posts from the SuperUsers telling you that Express Web Connect is unreliable.  Does that mean that it always fails?  Of course not.  And some financial institutions are better than others.
    What it means is that on average you will have more problems with it.  And it also means at times it might not be working long periods of time, and you might have to deal with problems like duplicate transactions, and open balances being changed and such.

Chase is definitely at the stage that they are making lots of changes (not even mention Quicken (both the program and their servers), and Intuit).  And as such anyone "changing/playing around with their setup" is very likely to see things fail one day and work the next.

Like I said it is sort of "interesting", but until they really fully changeover I see no clear indication that any of this will make the transition better, and past history with the Capital One and Schwab changeovers indicate that waiting is the better strategy to avoid problems and frustration.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate that Chris. I am not loooking for interesting. I am looking for functional.
    In 12-15 years I have never had an issue with EWC. Maybe I am lucky.
    And adding Chase EWC and Online Billers in my Test file shows it can be done *right now*. But for some reason, at least at this moment, not while one (or me?) has existing Chase accounts, even if deactivated and re-added and linked to existing.
    So I continue to test. As a matter of fact, will start another topic a bit more focused on just that point to see if I can learn more.
    So my mileage on EWC varies. Works for me. Sorry it may not for you and Sherlock.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    I appreciate that Chris. I am not loooking for interesting. I am looking for functional.
    In 12-15 years I have never had an issue with EWC. Maybe I am lucky.
    And adding Chase EWC and Online Billers in my Test file shows it can be done *right now*. But for some reason, at least at this moment, not while one (or me?) has existing Chase accounts, even if deactivated and re-added and linked to existing.
    So I continue to test. As a matter of fact, will start another topic a bit more focused on just that point to see if I can learn more.
    So my mileage on EWC varies. Works for me. Sorry it may not for you and Sherlock.
    You're experiencing an EWC issue right now and fail to recognize it as such.  Make's me wonder how many other EWC issues you actually have had.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    It "works", but just isn't as reliable as Direct Connect when considered over all the different financial institutions/user cases.

Ask someone that has a Citibank checking/savings account that they think of it.  It hasn't been working for them for months.  And even before the latest outage it was very flaky.

I had a Macy's credit card and a Synchrony bank account setup with Express Web Connect for quite a long time and could expect on or the other to fail for a few days every couple months.

Long ago I had E-Trade Bank accounts that were Express Web Connect that they worked for years without a problem.  I think mostly because E-Trade Bank's website almost never changed in the years I was with them.

But frankly for me it goes beyond "it works".  I don't trust it not to mess up my data file.

From the day they released Sync to Mobile/Web it has been corrupting data files.  How many people are affected changes over time, but it is never zero.  Since the beginning of last year Express Web Connect has been using Sync to Mobile/Web or more accurately it is syncing the Quicken Desktop data file with the Quicken Cloud dataset.  Mobile/Web are the GUIs for the Quicken Cloud dataset.  The only differences between Sync to Mobile/Web and Express Web Connect is that Mobile/Web syncs more information like the budget, and it sets some kind of flag in the Quicken Cloud dataset that says to make that information available to be displayed by Mobile/Web.

Note that the syncing of the "transactions" for Express Web Connect includes syncing the attachments whether one likes it or not which further proof that they are using the same system for "sync" for both.

People wonder how the SuperUser can have decades of data and not run into data corruption or performance problems related to their data files.  A lot of this has to do with knowing what not to use in Quicken in my opinion.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris, I do not disagree and cannot argue with you. I do not use the cloud or mobile Quicken. I try not to use the cloud anywhere ever. Some is unavoidable.
    But what are my choices? Get rid of Chase? Nope. Get rid of Quicken? Have never found a better choice. So I make the best of what I am offered until the downside outweighs the ability to do ALL of my finances in one place.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bob. Yep, Live seldom gives us perfect solutions, we all have to weigh what is best for ourselves.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned earlier, it had been my understanding Chase would be terminating all of their current connection methods including Web Connect.  I have recently been informed Chase will continue to support Web Connect.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Understood. End of September. But Direct connect does not grab online bills any longer so I wanted to go to EWC now for that reason. And when Quicken fixed a bug today, I did just that. A little weirdness with the online billers, but forward progress.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Understood. End of September. But Direct connect does not grab online bills any longer so I wanted to go to EWC now for that reason. And when Quicken fixed a bug today, I did just that. A little weirdness with the online billers, but forward progress.
    Direct Connect never grabbed online bills.  The Chase online bills were grabbed by the third-party online bill aggregation service provider.  Chase decided to block the service provider at the end of June.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, so that might explain why the online bills for Chase says Needs Attention and changes when linked to the reminders. Gives me something to try. Maybe :)

This discussion has been closed.