R41.19 Release Notes - Preparing for Chase Bank Bill Payment changes

Options

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here is my take on all of this.

First off, let me say that I don't use bill pay through Chase/Quicken, so I can't comment on if it is still working or not, but I have it enabled and it doesn't throw any errors for me.

One thing I know for sure is I would never go to Quicken Bill Manager to pay my bills.  I like my credit score too much to mess with that unreliable system.

The reason I don't use a bill pay system is because I setup almost all my bills to be automatically paid from my credit card (if possible) or my checking account (like for utilities) (on the biller's website).
    And for the I want to be using in tracking cash flow (projected balances) I setup manual reminders.

Next at this point one has to understand that the update in Quicken "allows for" but doesn't change anything.  I'm still using Direct Connect for all of my Chase accounts.  If you were using Direct Connect and are now trying to change over to Express Web Connect, that is wrong for two reasons.

The first is that Express Web Connect is known to have all kinds of problems, so you just traded a very reliable system for an unreliable one.

The second reason is that Chase isn't switching to Express Web Connect, they are changing to Express Web Connect +, but they aren't even doing it yet.  So, you are way jumping the gun into a system that you will then have to change again when the real change over happens.

I might add I'm not as "confident" as @Quicken Kathryn is about Express Web Connect.  It is a step in the right direction, but it still has way too many moving parts for me.

What the + is that they have settled on a protocol for Intuit to talk to the financial institution.  All the rest still applies.  It is still using "sync" (the same one used in Sync to Mobile/Web) and still have all the same servers involved:
    Quicken -> QCS (Quicken Connection Services/Quicken Cloud dataset/Sync) -> Intuit server -> financial institution's website.

Also, about the migration. From what I can tell, the people that had to least number of problems with it were the ones that "delayed" the migration waiting for more "success" posts than initial change over failures.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One more thing.  This change over is going to be like the Capital One and the Schwab combined!

Capital One only has credit and banking accounts.  Schwab only has investment accounts.
    Chase has both (JP. Morgan Chase is the investment side).

Actually, @Quicken Kathryn do you know if it is in fact both Chase and J.P. Morgan Chase?
    Signature:
  • Jason Gittman
    Jason Gittman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have installed the latest R41.19 update, but have not noticed any difference in the way Chase handles transactions. Still using direct connection for downloading transactions and still can't use Chase Bill Pay in Quicken to pay bills.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have installed the latest R41.19 update, but have not noticed any difference in the way Chase handles transactions. Still using direct connection for downloading transactions and still can't use Chase Bill Pay in Quicken to pay bills.
    R41.19 is about migrating online bills obtained from Chase to manual bills as Chase intends to block the third-party online bill aggregation service used by Quicken at the end of the month.  If you have been using Quick Pay to pay these bills, you will need to find another method to pay these bills.

This should have no impact on Chase's support for Direct Connect connection method and bank bill pay.  Chase is now planning to drop their support of the Direct Connect connection method and bank bill pay at the end of September.  I suggest you plan accordingly.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks all, so what should I do about the two messages I am recioving? I think I shall try resotring to before the 41.19 update and see what happens. Very concerned about the problems this has created for me. Would appreciate official @Quicken advice.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I restored from the backup saved at 41.19 Update.I am back to Direct Connect.

• Reminders are back the way they were.
    • The Chase bills show due, but were paid. I need to mark them that way.
    • They Chase Online Bills are no longer linked to reminders. Account names changed to Generic CHASE. Relinked.
    • The pdf's are still gone.
    • Quicken changed the default amount due back to Minimum. How odd it does not respect my choices!
    • The Needs Attention is still there back to Track Bills Manualy Message. I will ignore. Wish I could clear that.
    • OSU added back "Check for Investing at Quicken.com". HATE that. Should be a setting to say go away. I set it once and should stick, but does not.
    So, I did OSU. Since Chase shows "Try Again" buttons, I did. And it wanteds me to reauthenticate again. So doing that....Seemed to work well. Easier than before.

All this from a simple restore. Buggy?

And isn't this an incredible amount I have to do after what should be a simple restore?

I feel slightly better being back on Direct Connect and having my original reminders. As whole as I think I can be at the moment.  Still concerned. And still feel this needed better explanation and instructions.

Unsure what I will be prompted for next and when.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Now that I'm on R41.19 and notice no differences at all, so I have no idea what happen to you @Bob.

It wouldn't be the first-time people have installed a patch and strange things happen to some people and not others.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DO you have Chase Credit cards, Chris? Chase Online Billers?

If not, you might not see the changes I see.

If so, are there no Needs Attention to the Online Billers?
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Off topic, but peripherally related. To those of you on r41.19 - have they included a fix for the date/time backup problem introduced in r41.09/41.10? 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:
    DO you have Chase Credit cards, Chris? Chase Online Billers?

If not, you might not see the changes I see.

If so, are there no Needs Attention to the Online Billers?
    I have a checking, savings, two credit cards, and 5 investment accounts spread out over two user accounts.  I have no online billers setup.  I have no need for them.

As far as Online Billers go for Chase from what I have seen in the threads there have been problems with them for quite some time and I don't know if they ever got fixed.  There was the period of time where having Bank Bill Pay on would throw errors even while some people reported the billing still worked, with others reporting it didn't, and some saying it partly worked.

I suspect this all part of Chase and Quicken changing things in that background getting ready for the big change over.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Bob. said:
    I restored from the backup saved at 41.19 Update.I am back to Direct Connect.

• Reminders are back the way they were.
    • The Chase bills show due, but were paid. I need to mark them that way.
    • They Cjhase Online Bills are no longer linked to reminders. Account names changed to Generic CHASE. Relinked.
    • The pdf's are still gone.
    • Quicken changed the default abmount due back to Minimum. How odd it does not respect my choices!
    • The Needs Attention is still there back to Track Bills Manualy Message. I will ignore. Wish I could clear that.
    • OSU added back "Check for Investing at Quicken.com". HATE that. Should be a setting to say go away. I set it once and should stick, but does not.
    So, I did OSU. Since Chase shows "Try Again" buttons, I did. And it wanteds me to reauthenticate again. So doing that....Seemed to work well. Easier than before.

All this from a simple restore. Buggy?

And isn't this an incredible amount I have to do after what should be a simple restore?

I feel slightly better being back on Direct Connect and having my original reminders. As whole as I think I can be at the moment.  Still concerned. And still feel this needed better explanation and instructions.

Unsure what I will be prompted for next and when.

As I said earlier, it appears the spate of Chase issues these past few months correlate with Chase's efforts to implement their functionally limited program interface.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That would not cause all the things you quoted that I had to reset not related to Chase after simply restoring from a backup.

Other than that, I can understand issues with Chase.

I do think the instructions and expecrtations for this update could have been MUCH better written and explained. I also have no idea what to expect next. Hopefully I will not be the early adopter next time.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Bob. said:
    That would not cause all the things you quoted that I had to reset not related to Chase after simply restoring from a backup.

Other than that, I can understand issues with Chase.

I do think the instructions and expecrtations for this update could have been MUCH better written and explained. I also have no idea what to expect next. Hopefully I will not be the early adopter next time.
    I'm not sure to whom you are directing your response at but I'm not at all surprised by the issues you experienced.

To help prevent yourself from being an early adopter, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bob. said:
    I read everything I could on all this. Including the linked FAQs, etc. Questions, of couse!

1. I have Chase Credit Cards. Nothing else Chase

2. They are now connected via Direct Connect
        a. I pay them via my Checking account at another bank
        b. I the only thing I need to do is change from DC to EWC+?
            i. Can I do that manually? / Is it preferred to let Quicken do it when I update the version in Quicken?

3. Do we expect other banks to do this? If so, my if big bank Checking Account where I pay ALL my bills from inside Quicken changes, what happens?
        a. Could this be why said other big bank no longer gets pdf updates since February?

Thanks.

Bob, If you only have Chase CCs, there are alternate and even better ways to set up and make payments for these cards that would not involve the Chase issues you're getting yourself mired into.
    • Delete the Bill Pay payments you set up and create manual payment reminders in Quicken.
    • Use your own bank's online Bill Pay to set up payments (through Quicken, or not) for these CCs.
    • or, make payments directly through the CC online account.
    • or, have the payments taken automatically from your checking account.
    I would understand your lamentations if you had to use Chase Bank Bill Pay through Quicken, but with only 2 CCs issued by Chase, your issues should be minimal or non-existent.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtfulness, but as I said in the post you quoted:
    "  a. I pay them via my Checking account at another bank"
    Have never used Chase Bill Pay. ALL bills through my checking account bank.
    An aside: Another change from restoring from backup - even though notify before changing a reconciled transaction was checked, stopped working. Had to uncheck and save, then recheck and save. Another glitch in restoring. An awful lot that at least I would think would not be touched.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I chose to restore from backup after all the errors I was getting trying to understand the Chase changes in the 41.19 update. I thought I would combine and clean my notes up a bit on things I found in the update and restore process that surprised me as it might be helpful for Quicken and other users.
    The following changed either from restoring the backup taken during the 41.19 update OR from the 41.19 update itself. Might help someone: the folllowing changed unexpectedly from the restore:   

• The Chase bills showed due, but were paid for June - even in the restored file. I needed to mark them that way again. The registers were correct.
    •     The Chase Online Bills were no longer linked to reminders. Account names changed to Generic CHASE. Relinked. Account names corrected.
    •     The pdf's for Chase accounts are gone except the most recent.
    •     Quicken changed the default amount due back to Minimum fr the Chasee accounts.
    •     The "Needs Attention" on Chase Online Billers are still there and take me back to Track Bills Manually Message. I will ignore this and wish I could clear that.
    •     OSU added back "Check for Investing at Quicken.com". Should set it once and should stick, but does not either from the 41.19 update or the restore process.
    •     Even though notify before changing a reconciled transaction was checked, it stopped working. Had to uncheck and save, then recheck and save. Another glitch in restoring or the 41.19 update?
    I did an OSU. Since Chase showed "Try Again" buttons in Online Billers (unsure why this time?), I did. Chase wanted me to reauthenticate again. I did that and it seemed to work well and easier than before. Try Again is still there, but clicking now does nothing.
    An awful lot that at least I think would not be touched from a restore or possibly the update.
    Right now everything is back to as expected with the exception of the "Needs Attention" and "Try Again" for my Chase CC's in Online Billers. And I am running 41.19 with no other noticed issues. And with a lot less stress :)

• Quicken Kathryn
    Options
    @Chris_QPW To answer your question above, yes, J.P. Morgan is also included in the Chase plan--Chase is moving banking and investment accounts.  
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Kathryn Thank you very much for information.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Kathryn said:  yes, J.P. Morgan is also included in the Chase plan--
    Chase is moving banking and investment accounts.  
    I had been using the Chase bill payment online website feature for years....
    then discovered (here on the forum) that Quicken could interface with Chase via One Step Update and my existing Direct Connect.
    I have all my bills received manually, and setup Manual Bill Reminders - which I then Enter and SEND to Chase via OSU.
    It would be nice for everyone to know WHEN different parts of this total equation and solution are going away,
    so that we can take preemptive action migrating our existing entries, and not continue down this exact same EWC+ disaster that was Schwab.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree @Ps56k2. And @Quicken Kathryn, would love to know what to do, or NOT to do with the Needs Attention in Online Billers for the Chase cards.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Quicken Kathryn said:  yes, J.P. Morgan is also included in the Chase plan--
    Chase is moving banking and investment accounts.  
    I had been using the Chase bill payment online website feature for years....
    then discovered (here on the forum) that Quicken could interface with Chase via One Step Update and my existing Direct Connect.
    I have all my bills received manually, and setup Manual Bill Reminders - which I then Enter and SEND to Chase via OSU.
    It would be nice for everyone to know WHEN different parts of this total equation and solution are going away,
    so that we can take preemptive action migrating our existing entries, and not continue down this exact same EWC+ disaster that was Schwab.

@Ps56k2 my advice would be to move your bill payments from Chase to your new bill payment service now. I would not wait for the actual transition. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mshiggins said: @Ps56k2 my advice would be to move your bill payments from Chase to your new bill payment service now.
    As I mentioned -  prior to using Quicken and OSU to "send" my payments to the Chase system, I was just doing double entry.
    There is no "other/new" bill payment service involved
    1 - Used to enter the payment into Quicken Register using a Manual Reminder
    2 - Then go to the Chase online website and manually enter the actual payment into the Chase bill payment feature..
    I'll just revert back to the manual double entry methodolgy...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could use a little more help here please. May be tricky to explain.
    I did not realize that when I restored Quicken to the autobackup made when performing the update to 41.19 that it would create a NEW Quicken data file. My file, for illustration purposes was MyQuicken2022 and now it has that plus a new MyQuicken2022-R-41.10 !
    I did not realize I had been using the newer one and stumbled on that. I checked the 2022 file and when I checked the Chase connection and it was EWC which was from when I made all the mistakes in the update. So went back to the R-41.10 version which has current date and pre update errors (that I made trying to figure out what to do for the Chase changes).
    So I then opened the R-41.10 version, checked and was Direct Connect and all of the transactions I have downloaded properly here.
    So I would like to bury the older file - 2022 so I do not open it by error, and even remove it from the File/Open list, then rename the R-41.10 to the 2022 name so I am always opening up the right file.
    And then, clean up backups as I have an awful lot of both names taking up space.
    What is the best way to do this? I am thinking rename 2022 to 2022OLD. And rename 40.10 to 2022. This way when I file/open for 40.10 it will remove it from the recents since it is gone and when I file/open 2022 it will take me to the proper, current file. Make sense? And then I can slim the backups deleting all but a current 40.10 and bulding new backups as I use the "new" 2022 file.
    I'll wait to see if anyone thinks there is anything wrong in that thinking.

And last, the two Chase accounts in Online Billers stil say "Needs Attention" and "Try Again" on the buttons. Is that to be expected? Will that change automatically? Anything I can do to show that as a normal Online biller? Right now, abiout half the time I "Try Again" Chase reauthenticates me as says I am logging in from a new device. Something just is not right with this.

Thanks.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, backed up all my Quicken data files and backups to another drive, deleted and renamed and all seems to be just fine. I always worry a bit on things like this but could not have gone smoother.

I still have the questions on the Chase Online Billers if anyone can answer.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just a note on the "Recent File List" on the File menu.  If you delete/rename a Quicken data file that is on that list, and then click on it in the File menu, Quicken will ask you if you want to remove it from the list.

As for the Online Bills question, sorry I wouldn't touch that system with a 100-foot pole.
    I tried to use the "Bill Presentment" part of it for years and it never worked right for me.
    Signature:
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Although a good idea, Quicken's "Bill Presentment" feature is (and always has been since its inception) buggy and unreliable.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, no one from @Quicken has been kind enough to reply here to my requests about what to do now that my Chase CC bills say "Try Again". Today the Try Again is stil there, but brings up this dialog which is totally not true:

PLEASE ex[plain what to do? I need to know balances and then enter to be paid through my checkling account at another bank. What to do????

And if it helps, I am still connected and getting resiter transactions through Direct Connect.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, today Quicken did an auto update to 42.8. Immediately after I got this:
    Of course, I HAVE the most recent update.

I have no "Alert Icon". I do have the learn more, but it does not take me to anything automatic to change my connection type, just the previously posted Track Manual or small type learn more.

From all the links I followed, I would have expected this:

I have never seen that.

So let me presume this is waht I should do and in this order and will wait for a confirmation or denial form @Quicken_Kathryn or @Quicken Anja or ???
    1. Unlink my Chase Bills from reminders
    2. Delete Chase Bills in Online Billers
    3. Change from Direct Connect to EWC for my Chase Accounts
    4. Create NEW Chase Billers in Online Bills
    5. Link to exisitng reminders
    Yes??

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, this operation is getting too weird. After making said changes, this is what my final Bills & Income screen looks like regarding the two credit cards I have @ Chase:

As like many of you have mentioned earlier, I autodraft directly from the biller or automatically pay from my bank. This feature I use as a snapshot for cashflow and it ain't working for me, it's too much trouble to rely on.
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do you still have "Needs Attention"??
    And I agree, this is nuts. What actually happens is not as descibed in multiple articles and not getting a lot of help in these forums.
This discussion has been closed.