Chase migration ruins account balances, makes them a positive number

Options
Mike29T
Mike29T Member ✭✭
I got the notice that it is time to migrate my Chase connection. I did that but it didn't offer to link to my existing accounts, just an old closed one. Looking on the forum I saw posts that said I need to deactivate the accounts first for online services. So I did that and re-did the Chase authorization. It downloaded a bunch of transactions that were duplicates of ones I had already downloaded. Even worse, the account balance went from the correct value (a negative number in red) to a large positive number. It appears to be corrupting the register and shows a large positive opening balance. It might have also corrupted other entries, I can't tell because there are several years worth of entries and I can't check them all.

Has anyone else seen this and found a way to update the Chase connection without ruining the account balances?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @Mike29T,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your balances. 

We recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and utilize functions such as screen share.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00am PT to 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• AllenW
    AllenW Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Mike29T If you do end up calling support, would you post back what they ended up having you do? I had the same issues and am deliberately not migrating until this issue is resolved.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have same issue. The new download updates the existing register transactions.  It changes the categories which for many are transfers between different accounts and thus messing up balances for many accounts. Total nightmare and haven't been able to fix causing me to go restore last good backup of Quicken data file to start over.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The standard way to find the duplicates is to sort by Order Entered (Gear icon -> Sorting options).  That will put the new transactions together where you can delete them.  Be sure not to delete transactions that are actually new.

And I will state that it is impossible to have a 100% clean conversion from Chase Direct Connect to Chase Express Web Connect + with existing accounts.  You are either going to have to deal with duplicate accounts (not linking to the old accounts) and use this FAQ on moving transactions to the right spot or you will have to deal with duplicate transactions if link to the existing accounts.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

Here is why it is impossible to link existing accounts without getting duplicates:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7919194/goals-and-realty-dont-meet-here
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mike29T
    Mike29T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I wanted to give an update for those facing a similar issue. I tentatively think the issue is fixed (kinda -- see below). I did not call support, I just restored my oldest uncorrupted register and declined the update notifications in hopes Quicken would eventually release a bug-free version. There have been several updates released; I am now on R43.32 build 27.1.43.32 Since the deadline to update is 9/26 I decided to give the Chase update another try.

I have two accounts at Chase. I saved a snapshot of my quicken balances and did the reauthorization. One account kept the same balance, the other was off by several hundred dollars. I looked at that account and it looks like Quicken had started it with a non-zero initial balance and when I set it to zero the balance was correct again. All my other accounts seemed unaffected so it didn't look like Quicken had created incorrect transfers or corrupted other entries in that account. I did not check categories of transactions in my Chase accounts so if it broke them I'm not aware of it but I'm hoping for the best.

So, somewhat nervously, I'm going ahead with the new Chase linkage and keeping my fingers crossed nothing shows up.
  • Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    A handy tip is to enter the account's correct opening balance into the memo field of the opening balance transaction (very first transaction). That way, you will have a record of the correct opening balance in case Quicken ever changes it again.

QWin Premier user since 1997. QWin Premier subscription on Windows 10 & 11. I don't use mobile & web or bill pay.

• JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am now on R43.32 too.  I upgraded before trying OSU again after changing Chase bank and investment accounts to EWC+.  OSU worked fine. No Chase transactions to download so all was good.  Other accounts had transactions and they were reviewed and accepted.  Ran file validation and backups again to be prepared for the next day.   Interesting that the R43.32 release notes said that it corrected duplicate transactions, so maybe this version actually addresses the issues we had been seeing with the transaction duplication seen in prior weeks.
This discussion has been closed.