Chase: Prompting to Reauthorize Closed Accounts

Options
eichmat
eichmat Member ✭✭
Every time I do an update, I'm prompted to reauthorize three accounts (credit cards) that were under my wife's login. All three have been closed for years--and yes, I closed them in Quicken.

I now see that in my accounts list, all three still have "Yes (Direct Connect)" listed under the Transaction Download column... naturally I can't edit them to disable it since they're closed.

How do I get Chase to stop prompting for these?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If you have marked the account as closed in Quicken, the Account List shouldn't show them as still connected.
    In Tools / Manage Hidden Accounts, do these accounts show a red "not allowed" icon (looks like red circle with a \)? If not, click on "Close Account". This should disconnect the account and mark it closed.
    If you have tried the same, some years ago, it may not have processed properly. In that case, please do both a Validate and Supervalidate. It's supposed to fix "half-closed" accounts and disconnect them.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Press and hold CTRL + Shift while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• eichmat
    eichmat Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    UKR,

Tried the validate then super validate, no joy... still get prompted and the accounts still show download enabled and cannot be modified. I did find one account had no transactions, so I completely deleted it, but the other two have historical transactions, so can't be deleted.

Note: both Validation runs had a pop-up "Duplicate Category" but the reports did not indicate the name... might want to fix that so I can find the duplicate...
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @eichmat,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Since validating and super validating was unable to resolve this issue for you, next, I suggest that you create a new manual account, move the transactions from the old closed account to the new manual account, then delete the old account and close the new account. 

To create a new manual account, please follow the instructions provided below.
    1. Navigate to Tools > Add Account...
    2. Click the Offline Account tab on the bottom and select the proper account type from the list
    3. Name the account and follow the prompts to add the account (no need to enter an ending balance)

After the new manual account has been set up, open the register for the old (closed) account.

To move the transactions over to the new account, you will first highlight all the transactions in the closed account's register by clicking on the last transaction at the bottom, then scroll to the very top of the register, hold Shift on your keyboard, and while holding Shift, click on the very first transaction (which should say Opening Balance). Everything in between should automatically become highlighted. Once all the transactions become highlighted, you can let go of the Shift key on your keyboard, then use your mouse to right-click. After right-clicking a menu will open, in that menu, please click the option that says Move transaction(s). A drop-down list of all your accounts will open. In that drop-list, select the name of the new manual account you previously set up and click OK.

Once the transactions have been moved, you can then delete the old account, and close the new account.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Anja Because of what I consider a bug, Move Transactions isn't a good way to move transactions between accounts.  At least not without some extra steps.

If one tries to move all their transactions from one account to another they are going to quickly realize that Quicken is going to prompt them on every single transaction that is reconciled.  When you have hundreds or even thousands of transactions that are reconciled in an account this just no usable.

So, one has to either use Copy Transactions and then delete afterwards or mark all of the transactions not reconciled, move them and then mark them reconciled again.  And even here you will have problems with Move Transactions, because it will prompt you on every transfer that is reconciled in the other account.

And using Copy Transactions has the problem that it will not copy the attachments, so those will be lost.

It is extremely frustrating that the Quicken Windows developers haven't fixed this in all these years.  And caused the need for a FAQ like this:
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

Move Transactions should have a prompt that instead of just saying "Copy or not" it should have an option "do this for the rest of the transactions".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • eichmat
    eichmat Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    [Removed - Language/Profanity]

Suggestions:

1) Add a "Yes to all" for the Reconciled Transaction prompts... glad it was only 42 records in that one account so I only had to have 84 clicks (there were two prompts for each transaction)...

2) When the Move transaction moves a record, it should not delete and recreate the record in a transfer account (e.g., the checking account from which credit card payments were made), it should just change the transfer account. I had to batch change them to reconciled, but worse, I now have all of those transactions listed in the "Manually Match" list in the checking account...
  • eichmat
    eichmat Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    > @eichmat said:
    > [Removed - Language/Profanity]

What profanity did I put in here? If I recall, I was saying that it was a horrible process of fixing something I didn't break [Removed - Rant/Language].
This discussion has been closed.