How do I retrieve check register column "Notes" from Windows version after moving to Mac version?

Options
Don L Turner
Don L Turner Member ✭✭
I used the "Notes" column in the check register for identifying items purchased when I was using the Windows version of Quicken. I moved to the Mac version, imported my data. But the checking register has a Memo/Notes column with useless info about the check, and none of my useful descriptions of what I just bought. The old "Notes" column does not seem to be available on the Mac version and my old Windows "Notes" data is not present.

How do I get that important data back?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I used the "Notes" column in the check register for identifying items purchased when I was using the Windows version of Quicken. I moved to the Mac version, imported my data. But the checking register has a Memo/Notes column with useless info about the check, and none of my useful descriptions of what I just bought. The old "Notes" column does not seem to be available on the Mac version and my old Windows "Notes" data is not present.

How do I get that important data back?
    Hello "Don L Turner", 

I am sorry to hear about these difficulties with the Notes feature. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, the Memo/Notes Column would, indeed, be the Quicken for Mac equivalent of the Notes feature in Quicken for Windows. If you are noticing certain effects that seem to be missing in this version, I want to direct your attention toward the process of submitting an Idea Discussion or Ideation thread. You can follow the FAQ linked here for additional details about how to create such a thread.

In an Ideation thread, a user can recommend a function that they wish to see in a future version of the software, and the other users of the Quicken Community then offer feedback and decide whether or not they, too, wish to see the concept implemented. If the Idea proves popular enough, it is then handed over to the development team for further consideration. 

Regarding the missing notes data: what version of Quicken for Windows are you converting your data from?

I look forward to your answer.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Don L Turner
    Options
    Hello Jared.

It sounds as though you are suggesting that the data is lost.

I don't know which version I was using in Windows. I opened Quicken in Windows this morning and it upgraded me to a new version before it opened. So, I can't check. If there is some other way to know what version it was, let me know.

I transferred the data in early September, this year.The Quicken software was the most recent version at that time.

Is that old "Notes" data lost now? Please be clear about any options I might have to retrieve it.

Thanks,
    Don
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know which version I was using in Windows. I opened Quicken in Windows this morning and it upgraded me to a new version before it opened. So, I can't check. If there is some other way to know what version it was, let me know.

I transferred the data in early September, this year.The Quicken software was the most recent version at that time.
    Quicken for Windows makes an automatic backup file when the version is updated from within Quicken.  It also inserts the version of Quicken that was being updated from into the backup file name as highlighted in yellow in the following example.
    If you do not know where your automatic backup files are saved you can easily find it by going to Edit > Preferences > click on "Open" (not on "Change") backup directory.  (Disregard the red circles for this discussion.)
    Sorry, but I have little knowledge of Quicken for Mac so I can't answer your question regarding "Notes" but hopefully this will help you answer @Quicken Jared 's request for the QW version number you had been using at the time.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Don L Turner
    Options
    Thank you, Boatnmaniac.

That helped me locate the version number.
  • Don L Turner
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello "Don L Turner", 
    >
    > I am sorry to hear about these difficulties with the Notes feature. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > First, the Memo/Notes Column would, indeed, be the Quicken for Mac equivalent of the Notes feature in Quicken for Windows. If you are noticing certain effects that seem to be missing in this version, I want to direct your attention toward the process of submitting an Idea Discussion or Ideation thread. You can follow the FAQ linked here for additional details about how to create such a thread.
    >
    > In an Ideation thread, a user can recommend a function that they wish to see in a future version of the software, and the other users of the Quicken Community then offer feedback and decide whether or not they, too, wish to see the concept implemented. If the Idea proves popular enough, it is then handed over to the development team for further consideration. 
    >
    > Regarding the missing notes data: what version of Quicken for Windows are you converting your data from?
    >
    > I look forward to your answer.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Jared

Boatnmaniac showed me how to get the version number. It was R-43.14.

Don
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Don L Turner I'm not familiar enough with Quicken Windows to advise you on next steps, but I will say that over all the years of users migrating from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac, I have not seen reports of Memo/Notes being lost in the transition. It might be helpful if you click on a transaction and open the Transaction Inspector (View > Show Inspector) and post a screen shot. That might give us some insight into what's going on with your data.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Don L Turner - I found a thread about adding a Notes column in QM.  Does this help at all?:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873387/add-memo-notes-column-q-mac.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Don L Turner
    Options
    > @jacobs said:
    > @Don L Turner I'm not familiar enough with Quicken Windows to advise you on next steps, but I will say that over all the years of users migrating from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac, I have not seen reports of Memo/Notes being lost in the transition. It might be helpful if you click on a transaction and open the Transaction Inspector (View > Show Inspector) and post a screen shot. That might give us some insight into what's going on with your data.

I have attached what you requested. I don't see an inspector in the Windows version but did a capture of the same item as it shows in the register. The problem field is called "Notes" in Quicken for Windows check register and Memo/Notes in the Mac check register. No data from the Notes field in Windows appears in the Mac version. The Mac inspector just says Notes, and not Memo/Notes, as it appears in the Mac register.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In your windows you should have the MEMO column turned on.  The note probably should be in the memo column.  I don't know where the Note field goes or does.  I never saw Note before.  In windows click the gear icon by the balance column and check the Memo box.   I have Q2013 so yours might be different.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Don L Turner
    Options
    > @volvogirl said:
    > In your windows you should have the MEMO column turned on.  The note probably should be in the memo column.  I don't know where the Note field goes or does.  I never saw Note before.  In windows click the gear icon by the balance column and check the Memo box.   I have Q2013 so yours might be different.

The memo field never seemed useful me so I hid it, then forgot was there. I displayed it after seeing your post. It has the same data as the Mac version's Memo/Notes field. That's why I hid it.
  • volvogirl
    Options
    I've never seen or used the Notes column.  The Memo is used for the description.  There are lots of posts here about how to get the detail info and purchases for Amazon listed.  

• Don L Turner
    Don L Turner Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Volvogirl,
    Does the Memo column come prefilled with check info in your version? It does in mine. That's why I used the Notes column for description of items purchased.
  • volvogirl
    Options
    Prefilled?  No.  Only what I enter in it.  But since I'm on Q2013 I do everything manually.  I don't download (never have).  Someone else will have to explain how to use renaming rules or something to get a better description in the Memo field.

• Don L Turner
    Don L Turner Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Volvogirl,
    I download check data from my bank.That explains our different results.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Notes field in Quicken Windows is a "strange" field.  It has been a "second hand citizen" since it was first added.  It don't appear on reports, it basically only appears in the register.

From what I see in Quicken Mac posts is that the early developers called the memo field Notes and as such now refer to the one field as Memo/Notes.  With maybe the difference suggesting the if you have to downloaded memo it will be put in the "local" Notes field.

There is only one real reason why both Memo and Notes exist in Quicken Windows.  Quicken Windows uses the OFX standard to decide how many characters a given field should have.  And people complained that the number of characters for the memo field was less than they wanted.  So, they added the Notes field, but really did integrate it into anything other than the register.  The QIF format doesn't have a field for it for instance.

So, in truth Quicken Mac doesn't have a "notes" field.  It has a "memo" field that allows for more characters than would be allowed in a Quicken Windows memo field.  What is going to be transferred using QXF format is the memo field not the notes field.  Note even though the conversion from Quicken Windows QDF (data file) is hidden it works by using a modified copy of Quicken Windows to export a QXF file and then import that into Quicken Mac.

I did a test export of a Quicken Windows data file in QXF format with a Note set, and imported that into another Quicken Windows data file, and sure enough the note field didn't come through.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Don L Turner
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The Notes field in Quicken Windows is a "strange" field.  It has been a "second hand citizen" since it was first added.  It don't appear on reports, it basically only appears in the register.
    >
    > From what I see in Quicken Mac posts is that the early developers called the memo field Notes and as such now refer to the one field as Memo/Notes.  With maybe the difference suggesting the if you have to downloaded memo it will be put in the "local" Notes field.
    >
    > There is only one real reason why both Memo and Notes exist in Quicken Windows.  Quicken Windows uses the OFX standard to decide how many characters a given field should have.  And people complained that the number of characters for the memo field was less than they wanted.  So, they added the Notes field, but really did integrate it into anything other than the register.  The QIF format doesn't have a field for it for instance.
    >
    > So, in truth Quicken Mac doesn't have a "notes" field.  It has a "memo" field that allows for more characters than would be allowed in a Quicken Windows memo field.  What is going to be transferred using QXF format is the memo field not the notes field.  Note even though the conversion from Quicken Windows QDF (data file) is hidden it works by using a modified copy of Quicken Windows to export a QXF file and then import that into Quicken Mac.
    >
    > I did a test export of a Quicken Windows data file in QXF format with a Note set, and imported that into another Quicken Windows data file, and sure enough the note field didn't come through.

I did not know that history. Nor did I ever imagine that I would be moving to a Mac after 30 years as a PC guy. Looks like I need to rethink the value of the Notes column data and possibly the move to the Mac version of Quicken. Thank you for the info.
  • Don L Turner
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello "Don L Turner", 
    >
    > I am sorry to hear about these difficulties with the Notes feature. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > First, the Memo/Notes Column would, indeed, be the Quicken for Mac equivalent of the Notes feature in Quicken for Windows. If you are noticing certain effects that seem to be missing in this version, I want to direct your attention toward the process of submitting an Idea Discussion or Ideation thread. You can follow the FAQ linked here for additional details about how to create such a thread.
    >
    > In an Ideation thread, a user can recommend a function that they wish to see in a future version of the software, and the other users of the Quicken Community then offer feedback and decide whether or not they, too, wish to see the concept implemented. If the Idea proves popular enough, it is then handed over to the development team for further consideration. 
    >
    > Regarding the missing notes data: what version of Quicken for Windows are you converting your data from?
    >
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

> @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello "Don L Turner", 
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Jared

This question may require a new thread, but since it is about the same general subject, I'll ask you here and see what happens.

Based on everything I've been told so far, it appears as though the data in my Notes column in my Windows Quicken file cannot be retrieved. If I have to accept that, I will.

But if that is true, what is the standard check register column for entering descriptions of the item purchased?

Right now, the Memo/Note column is being automatically populated with check data when I download transactions from my bank. In Windows, there was a separate Notes column where I entered descriptions of the item I purchased.

To follow the most logical and best practice using the Mac version of Quicken, where should I put descriptions of the item I purchased.

Thank you for your help,
    Don
  • volvogirl
    Options
    The Memo column is the description.  If it downloads the wrong info you have to set up renaming rules or manually overwrite it.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Don L Turner In Quicken Mac, there is just the single field, called "Memo/Notes". The good thing is that there is no length limit for this field, so you can retain whatever information comes from your bank and add your own additional information if you wish.

Another option is to go to the Splits screen, there there isa separate Notes field for each split line; even if you don't create a split, you can enter text in the Notes field of the first split line and it will be retained, separate from the Memo/Note field of the main transaction. (I wouldn't advise this as a general practice, since you'll have to know to open the transaction to the split screen to view the split Note, but I've found it useful on occasion where I wanted to record some support,ementaty information.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Don L Turner
    Options
    > @jacobs said:
    > @Don L Turner In Quicken Mac, there is just the single field, called "Memo/Notes". The good thing is that there is no length limit for this field, so you can retain whatever information comes from your bank and add your own additional information if you wish.
    >
    > Another option is to go to the Splits screen, there there isa separate Notes field for each split line; even if you don't create a split, you can enter text in the Notes field of the first split line and it will be retained, separate from the Memo/Note field of the main transaction. (I wouldn't advise this as a general practice, since you'll have to know to open the transaction to the split screen to view the split Note, but I've found it useful on occasion where I wanted to record some support,ementaty information.)

Thank you, Jacobs.
This discussion has been closed.