Unable to download transactions for Fidelity Credit Card (Elan)

JesseM
JesseM Member ✭✭
Starting in November, whenever I download my credit card transactions from my Fidelity Credit card to import into Quicken, I get the following error: Unable to Read the Selected Web Connect File. Please contact your financial institution.

I did, and Fidelity indicated it was a known issue with Quicken. I've download my credit card data for many, many years. Any insight on what is going on and how to fix?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Are you downloading a file or connecting from within Quicken? If you are downloading a file, that would indicate you are using FI name "Elan Financial Services" If so, you should disconnect and reconnect the account using FI name "Fidelity Rewards Credit Card". This only supports Quicken Connect (not Web connect), so you will need to download from within Quicken. I'm using this method without issue.

If you are already using Fidelity Rewards Credit Card, I'd suggest creating a brand new data file with a new account connected to this FI. If that works, it could indicate a problem with your data file (not likely).

Other troubleshooting steps you could take would be to restart the computer and download a new copy of the Quicken app, although these are not likely to solve an issue such as this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mgaynor
    mgaynor Member
    For the past month I have been unable to import my Fidelity Visa credit card transactions. I get this error message: "Unable to read the selected Web Connect file". It's a QFX file, the same that I have downloaded without any problem for years.
    I called Fidelity, and they tell me it's a Quicken issue. When will this be corrected? For now, I need to manually enter all of my credit card transactions, which is very cumbersome.
  • mgaynor
    mgaynor Member
    My problems also started in November, and it happens after I download the transactions from the Fidelity website into a QFX file, then try to import the transactions into Quicken. I've been doing this for years without any problems. I tried a direct connection to Fidelity within Quicken, but that doesn't work either.

Similar to JesseM, I called Fidelity and they told me this is a known issue within Quicken, and many Fidelity customers are calling to complain. They told me that unless Quicken updates its software, the only solution is to find a new credit card!
  • lwhitten
    lwhitten Member ✭✭
    Just adding to the list here-I started getting this error after Fidelity/Elan updated their web interfaces for the Rewards credit card. I also have been downloading the qfx file for years w/o a problem. Elan says it's a Quicken issue. It looks like this has been going on for over a month. How do we escalate resolution?
  • stringerleo
    stringerleo Member ✭✭
    Same issue Quicken blames Fidelity ELAN and they blame quicken. I compared the qfx files - files created before 10/5/22 i can import no problem. Between 10/4 and 11/4 the file names changed with diff name format that includes the last 4 digits of card # and the file itself has easily seen additional carriage returns -- there is a format issue and Elan refuses to revert back to the older format - they are not taking this issue seriously - i contacted them more than once
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Hi All, Elan Credit Cards are working on a update that should be complete soon. Can you please attempt downloading your transactions in the next 2-3 days and then messaging me if the issue persists? Thank you for your patience.

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• coly8s
    coly8s Member ✭✭
    I just tried this morning and get the error. I've reported it previously this week and the problem persists.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I just tried this morning and was successful. Seems like it's pretty intermittent. Also seems like it works sometimes using Fidelity Rewards Credit Card but not Elan Financial Services and vice versa. This morning I was using FRCC. Previous time it worked was on EFS.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mgaynor
    mgaynor Member
    Visa Signature Rewards Visa card: I tried to import a new gfx file today on my Mac and it failed again, with the same error message ("Unable to read the selected Web Connect file").
  • JesseM
    JesseM Member ✭✭
    It's unfortunate to see that this issue impacts so many (yet also encouraging that there is some visibility since everyone else is weighing in). I just tried again today and received the same error. I hope this issue is being escalated, as this really hurts the value of leveraging Quicken since we do most of our daily spending via our Fidelity credit card. I'll hate losing the details of where we are spending our money, and there is no way I'm going to manually track all this detail. What is the next step Quicken is taking to resolve this?
  • wtgreen
    wtgreen Member
    I am also having this problem. I've spoken with Fidelity twice, Quicken once and found out that this is a known Quicken issue. The newest version of Quicken for the Mac has a new feature called "Connectivity Status" which is supposed to tell you if you need to re-enter your credentials or resolve some other connection issue. The new feature does not indicate any connectivity issues for me. QUICKEN, PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE.
  • userSF
    userSF Member
    Maybe we need to start contacting Fidelity to complain too. It's not their card, but they have a relationship with Elan Financial and maybe can pressure them. Also, it's ridiculous that this issue has been pending for nearly two weeks for some and that there is no resolution.
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    This is still an issue. I talked with both Fidelity and Elan. Not sure where the fault lies on this. Though it doesn't really matter, it just needs to get fixed.

When I parse the QFX file that I just downloaded from Fidelity, it is clearly a different format from all the previous QFX files I've downloaded. Fidelity/Elan have changed the QFX file format.

While all the data appears to be in the file, the new format adds lots of spaces and carriage returns (line feeds?). It's no surprise Quicken does not like the new format.

I eventually talked to Elan, or the tech support person from login.fidelityrewards.com. While they said the workaround was to download the QFX files from their site, the result was the same. Same new file formatting. QFM did not like the new format. The tech support person filed a ticket. Who knows when that will get looked at.

I then tried to login directly from Quicken to both Elan and Fidelityrewards. Both are options withing Quicken. Neither login works.

If someone doesn't fix this, I will have to stop using my Fidelity credit card. Citibank's card still works with Quicken.

I stand by my statment I've been making for a while. The state of the software industry is poor, at best. Stuff either stops working, or someone puts out a new release and it's clearly never tested. We all suffer. Shame on the software industry. Yes, the entire industry. I know some of it works, but by far, most no longer does.
  • JesseM
    JesseM Member ✭✭
    This continues to be an issue. It would be great to hear a response from Quicken on plans to address.
  • QFMuser
    QFMuser Member
    I'm experiencing the same issue as well. Have tried multiple workarounds - no luck.
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    ProperSoft sells an App call ProperConvert that will convert CSV files into Quicken files. I just used it and I can confirm it works.

https://www.propersoft.net/download
  • Quahog
    Quahog Member
    FYI, I've been having the same problem and just tried again with no luck. I sent Elan a message mid-December and they responded, "we're aware of the problem and are working on it". I just sent another msg to them asking for an ETA or workaround (it's not urgent enough yet for me to $pring for the ProperSoft app).
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    For what it's worth ...

I bought Propersoft back when I got an Apple Card and they did not support Quicken file downloads. Which they do now.

When Elan Financial (which is who Fidelity uses for "their" Visa) changed their Quicken file format, I just used my licensed copy of Propersoft again.

It might be worth purchasing Propersoft's SW, since it will most likely be needed again, when someone else breaks their downloads.

Also, I checked the files. Elan definitely changed their file format, so it's no surprise that their files will no longer import. Apple (Goldman) did not change their file format and their downloads work just fine.

While we have no idea why Elan changed their files, it's on them to make sure their files will work with Quicken.

Software quality today is horrible. Most of the updates are bug fixes.
  • JesseM
    JesseM Member ✭✭
    Since you are using Propersoft to convert CSV to Quicken format, perhaps Quicken should simply accept CSV and do the conversion? Seems silly that we need to buy a separate piece of software to deal with integration issues with Quicken and what should be supported vendors.
  • Quahog
    Quahog Member
    Message/Reply from Elan to me on Jan. 6, in response to my request for an ETA for a fix: "We and Quicken are aware of the issue in question and its being looked into. At this time, we apologize that we are unable to provide a timeframe when this will be resolved."
  • jamesevh
    jamesevh Member ✭✭
    I just tried to download my Fidelity Visa transactions using qfx format to the latest version of Quicken for Mac and got the same error as the previous attempts over the last 5 weeks. The problem is not corrected as of Jan 9, 2023 12:00 PST.
    Jim
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    From this thread, it looks like it's been an issue since Nov. Obviously, Elan Financial is not in a hurry to fix this issue.

Since they've stopped supporting their site, I've stopped using their card. I doubt they will take much of a hit, but why keep giving them money in hopes they will fix the problem that, it appears, they created. My Goldman/Apple card download continue to work flawlessly.
  • Steve W.
    Steve W. Member
    It's Jan 15 and it still is not resolved. I agree with the 1/9/23 quirkish post. Time to stop using this card until they get it resolved.
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to know that Elan made this (unecessary?) change via a contractor. In order to fix whatever the issue is probably needs a new contract, which is outside of the budget, the contract is no longer around, the dog ate the source code, blah blah blah.

This seems to be an issue that's been around for months. I doubt it will be fixed any time soon.

I've been moving all my CC purchases over to another card. Turns out, I'm learning just how great the Apple Card is. The Apple Card in the Wallet App is different from the physical Card which is different from the digital card number you can use online and in Apps like 1Password.

If the digital card number gets compromised, you can instantly get a new one. It will not affect the Apple Card in the Wallet App on your phone, nor will it affect the physical card. This is waaaaay better than this Elan card, since they have to send you a new card that renders all uses of the old card useless.

The Apple Card customer support is great. You simple text them. They reply right away. They've resolved the few problems I've had. No phone calls that require a unqiue complex series of key presses that might get you to a real person.

So, thanks Elan for helping me realize there are much better options out there. Options that work with Quicken.
  • mgaynor
    mgaynor Member
    I’m switching away from Fidelity too. I just ordered a new Wells Fargo 2% cash back card.
  • jamesevh
    jamesevh Member ✭✭
    I tried again yesterday, Jan. 21, 2023, to download Fidelity credit card transactions and got the same error message. Why does Quicken post this has been fixed when it hasn’t? Is anyone from Quicken even aware of this continuing problem?
  • quickish
    quickish Member ✭✭
    I don't think this is a Quickenn issue. Elan changed their Quicken File Format. Their new format does not import, so I'd say this is an Elan issue. No issues with downloaded files from other credit cards. And yes, Elan is aware of the issue. I have talked (like over the phone) with them. The problem has been around for months. For whatever reason, Elan seems to have no interest in fixing it. They could simply revert to the previous file format and it would work.
  • MNP1693
    MNP1693 Member
    Not a perfect solution, but I have found a temporary way of getting around this. It's not pretty, but it's better than entering every transaction by hand. Mint can connect to the fidelity card and brings in all the transactions. Download them to a CSV file in Mint, then import into Quicken Mac from a "Mint.com File (CSV)". It created a new credit card account, I corrected any category issues and deleted duplicates, then moved the transactions to the correct credit card account in Quicken.
  • Renegade6
    Renegade6 Member
    My Quicken will not connect with my Fidelity Rewards Credit Card account. It was working fine and then will not seem to connect yesterday and today. Is anyone else having this issue? Hopefully, Fidelity did not block.. it would be a pain to do the manual entries.
This discussion has been closed.